Hoping for some curly hair help

mommy2allyandaveri

DIS Veteran
My daughter has very curly, frizzy hair and we are working on managing it. Ideally she would apply product to wet hair and have it look damp/dry, controlled, and not frizzy for the day.

We have tried:

Noodle hair products - curling cream and hydrating gel spray
Some sort of aloe in a tub - left he greasy feeling
Biosilk
Ion - curl shaping cream and curl mist (these have worked the best, but not awesome)
Some leave in conditioner that is supposed to help with frizz.

I've been shopping at sally, they let me return stuff that hasn't worked but I think I'm about out of choices there.

Does anyone have any other thoughts? Will ultra allow you to return if you aren't happy? I'm trying not to break the bank. If we find something that works awesome, I'm willing to spend the money but I don't want to just keep trying stuff. There are a million products out there.

Everyone's hair could be different , but mine is naturally curly , looks like a perm. But it took me several years to blow it dry for it to be straight. Look online for different places around with reviews for dealing with the hair.

Ulta will let you return the product if you are not happy with it as long as you have a receipt. I like kinky curly at Target. It smells great and holds my curly hair with out letting it frizz. It dies take my hair forever to dry though, if I air dry. I'm talking at least six hours. I have tried the Ouidad products, but I feel like the dry out my curls really badly.

I have curly hair which looks frizzy and horrible when I only wash it and don't put anything in it.

Go to Walmart, Target, or just about any grocery store and buy Herbal Essences' "Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel." Here in Arizona, it costs me usually about $3.50 for a container of it. Wash your hair like usual, towel dry it, comb hair with a wide-toothed comb, apply a quarter-sized amount of the gel into your hand. Moosh your hands together and then scrunch your hands all throughout your hair. I flip my hair upside down and kind of toussel it (I'm probably spelling that wrong).

That's it. No blow drying. Nothing other than that. It's great. It takes me <5 min each morning to do my hair. But I do have to wash it each day. This method doesn't work too well on day 2.

I use AG Liquid Effects in my curly hair. You must blow dry with a diffuser or it will be hard and crunchy. I really love this product. After diffusing my hair is soft, curly and not a bit of frizz. Another key to non- frizzy hair is don’t touch it!

The thing that has worked best for me with frizz is to brush my hair before I get in the shower, then not touch it with a brush/pick/anything after the shower. I mean, not even running my fingers through it. Either wrapping my hair in a towel or scrunching it dry, not rubbing the towel on the hair helps too. I usually air dry, but if I must dry, I try to use a diffuser or to just blow dry very gently, without moving the dryer much, with my head upside down. Hair products, as someone said above, will be different for everyone. I like a sea-salt spray (Not Your Mother's brand) to help my curl have some texture and Curls Blueberry Restorative Leave-In Conditioner (again, scrunching it in the hair from the ends, not brushing).

It has taken me so many years to figure out what works for my hair, and yes, it sucks that there is so much trial and error. Maybe try looking for a beauty box or some trial stuff for curly hair so you can try before committing to a large product? Aveda sells sample sizes of their stuff, and I actually found the Curls Blueberry product above by getting a Target beauty box ($7!) that was targeted to curly hair that month.

Good luck! And you are an awesome mom for helping your daughter find what works best for her curls!

I have curly, thick hair... I use Miss Jessie’s Pillowsoft Curls and the “plop” method to dry it(you can google how to do that, I’ll never use terrycloth on my hair again).

The cream is nice because it’s light, but gives good frizz control and hold and it’s made to loosen the curls a little.

This is what it ends up like after a little finger styling:

84FDF06D-56E8-4124-95B4-82878A2D16E9.jpeg

Good luck!

I have naturally curly hair and use a cream from Sally's who's name is escaping me, and I don't feel like getting up to look, but the trick is to put the product on your wet head and let air dry and don't touch! I have soft curls like Soldiers Sweeties pic above.

Also my beautician told me I should only wash my hair once a week and just "wash" with a conditioner every few days. I only work 3 days a week so on the days I work I just get my hair wet and put product back in and let air dry. My hair is better since I'm not washing it so often and only conditioning it. I'm also 51 so my hair is changing, just you wait! but this method has helped me tremendously!

edit Beyond the zone noodle head is what I use, but I think any cream seems to work fine for me.

I have very curly hair and swear by Jane Carter curl defining cream. I buy it on Amazon but I've seen it at Target. It keeps my curls soft and shiny but not greasy.

I have naturally curly hair and use a cream from Sally's who's name is escaping me, and I don't feel like getting up to look, but the trick is to put the product on your wet head and let air dry and don't touch! I have soft curls like Soldiers Sweeties pic above.

Also my beautician told me I should only wash my hair once a week and just "wash" with a conditioner every few days. I only work 3 days a week so on the days I work I just get my hair wet and put product back in and let air dry. My hair is better since I'm not washing it so often and only conditioning it. I'm also 51 so my hair is changing, just you wait! but this method has helped me tremendously!

edit Beyond the zone noodle head is what I use, but I think any cream seems to work fine for me.
I am the same age, and I do not know if I could do that. I work out and my head sweats, I think I would be smelly if I did not wash it.

I am the same age, and I do not know if I could do that. I work out and my head sweats, I think I would be smelly if I did not wash it.
I don't work out that hard to have that problem.ha Summer I'll wash more if I'm sweaty. But really my hair looks better when its dirty, it's not as frizzly cause the oils weigh it down, as gross as that sounds, sorry. And it doesn't stink cause of the conditioner.

I feel your DD's pain. I had naturally straight hair till I hit puberty and then I my hair got curly and has changed from kinky curls to now more ringlet curls. I have learned the most important thing is not to fight it, your not going to win. Middle school was a huge learning curve for me. You just need to figure out how to tame it as best as possible. I've also found that what works for me now may not in a few months. It seems that I need to change products every few months to a year.

Right now I am using Bumble and Bumble Anti-Frizz Gel Oil. I LOVE this stuff. Just a small amount is needed and I end up with curls like Soldiers Sweetie above. One key is to have her apply any product she uses to wet hair and then only blow it dry if she needs to. I flip mine upside down and then blow it dry for as short a time as possible because it looks its best either dried naturally or under the dryer at the salon in one of those bonnet dryers. Unfortunately, my hair needs to be at least mostly dry when I go to work! I will also agree with Runwad that leaving in some conditioner seems to help. I wash mine every morning but I don't rinse all of the conditioner out, I leave a little bit in and that seems to help control the frizz. Also, more of the "creme" conditioners work better.

I have curly hair which looks frizzy and horrible when I only wash it and don't put anything in it.

Go to Walmart, Target, or just about any grocery store and buy Herbal Essences' "Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel." Here in Arizona, it costs me usually about $3.50 for a container of it. Wash your hair like usual, towel dry it, comb hair with a wide-toothed comb, apply a quarter-sized amount of the gel into your hand. Moosh your hands together and then scrunch your hands all throughout your hair. I flip my hair upside down and kind of toussel it (I'm probably spelling that wrong).

That's it. No blow drying. Nothing other than that. It's great. It takes me <5 min each morning to do my hair. But I do have to wash it each day. This method doesn't work too well on day 2.

This exactly! I use either the Herbal Essences gel or the similar Garnier Fructis Curl Scrunching Gel. Both work great! I completely agree with no blow drying and don't ever use a brush - only a comb.

I have naturally curly hair and I would say it is only in the last 15 years I have truly come to love my hair. I have tried many, many products but for a few years ago I was introduced to Deva Curl and I love it. I use the Deva Curl gel let it sit for about 15mins and then I diffuse my hair. I also have started to get the Deva Cut where they cut your hair dry. A great hair cut can make all the difference. Love the curls!! I appreciate you trying to assist as my parents had no clue what to do. Good luck

At the curltalk forums you can learn about the curly girl method and all kinds of products. My DDs and I experimented with it a bit. We don't co-wash anymore (which is just washing with conditioner), but I am a fan of sulfate-free shampoo. Loreal EverCurl is an affordable one you can get at Walmart. The harsh sulfate shampoos contribute to the frizz. My girls also dry with a tea towel (or a t-shirt works) instead of a terry cloth towel. Detangle when wet with a pick or wide tooth comb and don't comb it dry! DD19 puts Curl Keeper on hers after she washes it.

A method I learned on curltalk is "scrunch out the crunch". Put gel in wet hair, let it air dry without touching, and then scrunch it with your hands to break up the gel so it's not crunchy and it will make it look drier.

I'm sad because DD16's curls are now just waves. She was a curly toddler, wavy child, and super curly when puberty hit. Age 10 it was pretty crazy, but by 13/14 really beautiful ringlets. Now it's very long and relaxed and while it looks nice some days, I miss her curly hair. I think she misses it a little too. DD19's hair has been a little more consistently curly but also got curlier with puberty. Anyway, expect changes!

This exactly! I use either the Herbal Essences gel or the similar Garnier Fructis Curl Scrunching Gel. Both work great! I completely agree with no blow drying and don't ever use a brush - only a comb.
I regularly switch back and forth between these 2 brands depending on whichever is cheaper. They both work great and neither end up with my hair being crunchy.

I have curly, thick hair... I use Miss Jessie’s Pillowsoft Curls and the “plop” method to dry it(you can google how to do that, I’ll never use terrycloth on my hair again).

The cream is nice because it’s light, but gives good frizz control and hold and it’s made to loosen the curls a little.

This is what it ends up like after a little finger styling:

View attachment 294079

Good luck!
How do you like the scent? I used to use that and then the scent really started to bother me. I know it doesn't ell bad, in my opinion, it was just strong.

brush my hair before I get in the shower, then not touch it with a brush/pick/anything after the shower. I mean, not even running my fingers through it. Either wrapping my hair in a towel or scrunching it dry, not rubbing the towel on the hair helps too. I usually air dry,
Totally my method. If I try to "style" it after showering, it just gets fuzzy. Wash it, blot dry with towel and scrunch it so it's not hanging in my eyes and let it be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter