How Can Parents Be So Clueless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lex33

Mouseketeer
I came out of the grocery store today and parked in front of my car was a high end car (not that it really matters what kind of car it was) RUNNING, wipers going, with a little girl and a small dog in the front seat. I was stunned. As luck would have it there was a local police cruiser in the parking lot. He approached the girl, found out her name, age, 5, and the fact that her mother was in the store. So we waited and waited. Roughly 15-20 minutes later out walks the mother. She wasn't even concerned that the police were at her car. To make a long story short, I had some not so kind words for her. She in turn told me to mind my own business numerous times, waving her hand in my face and so on. I guess I was a little stunned. I am sure nothing will happen to her, but the woman really needs some parenting tips.

To top it off, also today in a separate town, a car was stolen with a sleeping child in it. Apparently, the carjacker had second thoughts because that child is fine.

Okay, let me have it. Should I have gone on my merry way without contacting the police? Who else would have stuck their nose in the situation?
Any men out there who would have done the same?

If the police were there when she arrived, I'm not sure why you had to have "not so kind words for her". Let the police do their job.

Other than that, yes, I likely would have informed the police. I may have stayed around until the mom came out, but likely would have left once the police were involved.

After I told the woman how I felt, I did leave. I have no idea how long she was there talking to the police.

I may have contacted the police but I wouldn't have sat around waiting and then gotten into an altercation with the woman. Who are you?

And I really can't believe the officer didn't tell you to move along - that he had it under control.

I also told a women what i thought, but this has been years ago and there was no police there. I saw this toddler child in a parking lot car and just sat there and waited for the mom. I truly was concerned and this was before the day of cell phones. I thought of going into the store to tell someone but really was thinking it may only be a few minutes. 25 minutes later this women come out. I ask her if she thought it was a good idea to leave her baby in a car. She said she had only been in the store 5 minutes! I told her I had been sitting there keeping an eye on the child for almost 1/2 hour. She just shrugged her shoulder and drove off:confused:

I try to keep my thoughts to myself when I see young children wondering around in stores alone:rolleyes:, standing up leaning over the side of grocery carts:scared1:, and running through parking lots:headache:!

Sometimes I try to say something " lightbulbish" to the parent but most of the time just say a prayer for the kid!

I was in great clips last week and this little boy about 3 had been a nightmare for his haircut. As dad was paying, the kid runs out the door and into a busy parking lot .I am like freaking out and hollering at the dad to get him and he just says, "oh, he will not got far!"

I agree, some parent are just clueless.

I probably would not have told her what I thought but I would have wanted to! Good for you for speaking your mind. Leaving a 5 year old in a running vehicle alone is ridiculous.

I may have contacted the police but I wouldn't have sat around waiting and then gotten into an altercation with the woman. Who are you?

And I really can't believe the officer didn't tell you to move along - that he had it under control.

Who am I? I am a mother who does not think it is okay to leave a young child in a running vehicle.

The officer did tell me that they could handle it which is when I left. Yelling your opinions at someone is hardly an altercation. Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts.

I would have gotten the cops or called the cops. But not waited to talk with the "parent", just not sure what someone will do or say even with the cops around.

good for you for saying something to the cops.

LEX33...Let me be the first person to say: GREAT JOB!!!! I'm glad you said something. Just because anyone in this world can breed, doesn't mean they should!someone needs to be the voice of the poor kids being raised and remind them they are responsible for another person life now that they are a parent. hopefully your Not so kind words and I'm sure a slap on the wrist by the officer will bring some sense to this poor excuse of a parent. But I'm sure asking for too much!!!!

I'm just still in shock over how many posts so far are against you speaking up. I guess the kid had to die first before you should have said anything!!!!

Who am I? I am a mother who does not think it is okay to leave a young child in a running vehicle.

The officer did tell me that they could handle it which is when I left. Yelling your opinions at someone is hardly an altercation. Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts.

By doing what you did, you are only making it harder on the officer to handle the situation. Once you gave your statement to the officer you should have left. NOTHING good comes out of "yelling your opinions at someone" besides looking foolish. Your advice wasn't needed and the police were already there. Next time, just leave.

Seeing to it that the child was safe by waiting for the mother to return and getting the police involved was thinking with your head.

Letting her know what you thought of her parenting skills was reacting with emotion.

Neither is a bad thing. :thumbsup2

There was no reason to call the cops on someone just because YOU disagree with their parenting choices. A baby strapped into an infant seat in a hot car on a 90 degree day, yes they are in immanent danger, and you should try to help. A 5 year old in a car with a dog is not. Child kidnapping by stranger are incredibly rare. That child could have sat in that car for hours and not had any harm come to her. You may perceive that children that age are not capable of being left alone but the majority of the world does not agree with you. Children that age in many other cultures are on their own and caring for younger siblings. It's only in America that we seem to have such a low expectation for our children that we think they are unable to sit by themselves for 30 minutes! You may not agree with her parenting, but she probably doesn't agree with yours either!

There was no reason to call the cops on someone just because YOU disagree with their parenting choices. A baby strapped into an infant seat in a hot car on a 90 degree day, yes they are in immanent danger, and you should try to help. A 5 year old in a car with a dog is not. Child kidnapping by stranger are incredibly rare. That child could have sat in that car for hours and not had any harm come to her. You may perceive that children that age are not capable of being left alone but the majority of the world does not agree with you. Children that age in many other cultures are on their own and caring for younger siblings. It's only in America that we seem to have such a low expectation for our children that we think they are unable to sit by themselves for 30 minutes! You may not agree with her parenting, but she probably doesn't agree with yours either!

I guess you did not read the entire first post - the car was left running, with a child inside. That is not only illegal in the state of Massachusetts, it's incredibly stupid and dangerous. Did you read the part about how a person just stole a truck that was left running outside a dentist office, with a 7 yr old girl asleep in the back seat?

After you notified the police you should have left. There was no reason for you to say anything to the woman once the police were involved. You overstepped your bounds by being confrontational after law enforcement was on hand.

al·ter·ca·tion/ˌôltərˈkāSHən/
Noun:
A noisy argument or disagreement, esp. in public.
Synonyms:
quarrel - wrangle - contention - dispute - squabble

Actually, that's the very definition of "altercation."

In any case, you absolutely did the right thing by contacting the police, but you shouldn't have said anything to the mother. Not because you were incorrect, because you weren't, but because putting her on the defensive made it almost certain that the police officer wouldn't be able to get through to her. Had you just left and let the officer deal with it, he would have been able to explain the dangers calmly and rationally and he just might have gotten through to her. People who have just been scolded by strangers aren't generally willing to listen to reason.

LEX33...Let me be the first person to say: GREAT JOB!!!! I'm glad you said something. Just because anyone in this world can breed, doesn't mean they should!someone needs to be the voice of the poor kids being raised and remind them they are responsible for another person life now that they are a parent. hopefully your Not so kind words and I'm sure a slap on the wrist by the officer will bring some sense to this poor excuse of a parent. But I'm sure asking for too much!!!!

I'm just still in shock over how many posts so far are against you speaking up. I guess the kid had to die first before you should have said anything!!!![/QUOTE]

Whoa! Back it up. People are against her speaking up because the cop was there and had it under control. No one is saying nothing should have been done at all.

There was no reason for her to stick around and then say something to the woman since the trained law enforcement professional was there to handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter