How Can Parents Be So Clueless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came out of the grocery store today and parked in front of my car was a high end car (not that it really matters what kind of car it was) RUNNING, wipers going, with a little girl and a small dog in the front seat. I was stunned. As luck would have it there was a local police cruiser in the parking lot. He approached the girl, found out her name, age, 5, and the fact that her mother was in the store. So we waited and waited. Roughly 15-20 minutes later out walks the mother. She wasn't even concerned that the police were at her car. To make a long story short, I had some not so kind words for her. She in turn told me to mind my own business numerous times, waving her hand in my face and so on. I guess I was a little stunned. I am sure nothing will happen to her, but the woman really needs some parenting tips.

To top it off, also today in a separate town, a car was stolen with a sleeping child in it. Apparently, the carjacker had second thoughts because that child is fine.

Okay, let me have it. Should I have gone on my merry way without contacting the police? Who else would have stuck their nose in the situation?
Any men out there who would have done the same?

Kev Guy. Here is the OP again. As you can see, she did state 15 minutes (bolded) so perhaps you should stop changing the subject. I am not the one critizing others parenting techniques or stooping to name calling. Do I agree with them? Maybe or maybe not. As a matter of fact, I was told by many people to put a lock on my DD's bedroom door so she learned to sleep through the night and did not walk out. One of them was a pediatrician. Did I decide to do it, no. But, it is quite acceptable by some to do that. I was not put on this earth to judge others.

So its okay for those opposed to take it as off topic and say its never okay but no one else can discuss that point? We must stick to the age and situation in question? We are not off topic it has just been expanded through the course of conversation.

You and a few others have been outright nasty to other posters and should be reported. Its one thing to disagree, its another to call names. And you have done it repeatedly.

I have my opinions about you based on your posts on this thread but have chosen to refrain from calling you out on them personally. Please have that respect for the others on this thread.

I don't agree with all of the choices of the poster you are insulting above, but I don't see anything abusive about them either, just different. I may or may not agree with all of them personally, but comparing them to abuse and saying she should be arrested is insulting to children that actually have abusive parents. I'm sure many of those children would much rather have to get themselves up and get dressed in the morning than be beaten or have cigarettes put out on them. Since when did teaching our children some self discipline become abuse?

DING....DING....DING....:thumbsup2

My point was about how different cultures have different standards! You are just too stupid to see that.

You must also be too stupid to realize I'm making fun of you CoolWade :rotfl2:

I've read your idiotic post on other boards, and I have no desire to ever have any dealings with you again. You're a pompous ego-manic. At least other people want to have discussion, you are only interested in being a jerk!

Ah, we finally see the real you! In case you cannot figure it out, what just happened with the above post is that you have destroyed any credibility you could have possibly had (and it wasn't much). Personal attacks are a sure sign that a poster (YOU!) has nothing left in the tank. Personal attacks are also a sure sign to everyone who reads this thread of exactly who you are and what you are all about. So good luck with that. ;)

1) You and a few others have been outright nasty to other posters and should be reported. Its one thing to disagree, its another to call names. And you have done it repeatedly.

2) I have my opinions about you based on your posts on this thread but have chosen to refrain from calling you out on them personally.

1) Please see post #272 for an excellent example of this.

2) I appreciate the fact that despite our considerable disagreements, you have refrained from the example of post #272. (I think my ears would start bleeding if you ever open up on me, lol).

Ah, we finally see the real you! In case you cannot figure it out, what just happened with the above post is that you have destroyed any credibility you could have possibly had (and it wasn't much). Personal attacks are a sure sign that a poster (YOU!) has nothing left in the tank. Personal attacks are also a sure sign to everyone who reads this thread of exactly who you are and what you are all about. So good luck with that. ;)

And, to elaborate, she was not the only that was resorting to name calling. There were a few others as well.

1) Please see post #272 for an excellent example of this.

2) I appreciate the fact that despite our considerable disagreements, you have refrained from the example of post #272. (I think my ears would start bleeding if you ever open up on me, lol).

I saw that one too. I think its out of line, but I think the poster was probably in defense mode by the personal attacks against her throughout this thread.

Don't get me wrong, she's in charge of her reactions and they were incorrect as well. But she didn't start out as nasty in her posts. (at least I don't remember it that way, but I haven't gone back and looked) She has been directly targeted though and had posts about other topics brought up against her in this thread. I can understand her frustration.

I know I brought up our previous thread but I didn't link it and it was about this very topic. She has been raked over the coals for things that we weren't even discussing here.

There are a lot of us on here that disagree but have not gotten nasty with each other. Maybe a little heated at times, but not nasty.

You won't see me open up on anyone like that on a thread. You'd have to really make me mad and I try not to let things on a message board get me riled up. The truth is that I enjoy a good back and forth. As long as it doesn't get into personal insults and stuff, you know.

I didn't realize teaching your kids to get up and get themselves ready in the morning was bad parenting. I'm worse than I thought I was. DD has an alarm clock and she gets herself up, and ready to go each morning. She is expected to be ready when its time to go and she always is. She also fixes her own breakfast and takes the dog out in the mornings.

I'll join you on that bad parent bench... I'm generally up before my kids and I'll wake them if they hit snooze more than once, but I don't get either of my school aged kids ready. They do that themselves and have for years. Last I checked even a 5yo can pour a bowl of cereal or toast an Eggo, and my kids are plenty old enough now to handle scrambled eggs, omelets, and other basic hot foods if they so choose (very rarely - one likes hard boiled eggs, yogurt, and/or fruit, the other cereal). I cook our family meals - dinner every night and weekend breakfasts - but for meals we're grabbing on the go at different times we all do for ourselves.

This is rich coming from a woman who leaves her 7 year old alone for 30 minutes at Blizzard Beach unsupervised. ]

I've let my twins run around Great Wolf Lodge without me since the age of 7 or so. The moms just sit at a table, so everyone knows where to check in. They do have to stay with each other, though. I'd let a 7 year old wait on a bench at WDW alone (my kids walk to school at that age), but I'd prefer a buddy system, as well. My 2 oldest have been leaving for school before I get up for a couple of years now. I am up with the others, but they get dressed, and make their own breakfast, most of the time. My oldest has been making her lunch since the age of 10 (refused to eat sandwiches - told her she was on her own).

I don't agree with all of what the poster you quoted believes, but I do think that many, many parents need to let go a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter