How many out there are on the January 25 2003 Eastern?

BON VOYAGE

Everyone have a safetrip. In a few days it will be 80 degrees warmer that in was here today (- 6). Looking forward to meeting everyone!!!

Carolyn

Just wanted to thank Melissa for putting together such a nice DIS meeting. The nametags were great! We looked very official-lol. It was so nice to meet everyone! Wish the cruise had gone smoother for us, but perhaps we'll get a chance to try again one day. If I can ever get DH back on a ship-lol!

Thanks Monica, I needed a boost today. :) Takes some adjustment getting used to being home. No one turned down my blankets or left me towel animals, and no one came in and cleaned this morning. I guess that's my job again.

I am sorry you had such a difficult time on the ship. It doesn't seem fair to have something you spent so much time and money on turn out badly. I hope you do get the chance to try again someday.

Despite a few early setbacks (mostly attitude related) we ended up having a pretty good time. We would like to book the Western itinerary in a few years if we can.

Hope everyone else did OK, I'd love to hear how your trip went.

If anyone from our thread is still reading, I thought it might be fun to post your most magical/least magical/funniest/strangest moments from our cruise. Here are mine:

Most Magical: Learning pin trading for my kids, all the CM's were awesome, but one in particular, Serena in the gift shop. She spent hours with them teaching them and trading. Another wonderful thing was when they fixed a Phillipino dish called adobo especially for my son one night for dinner.

Least Magical: Although we had some great individual interaction, I found the overall attitude of the cast and crew to be a bit less Disney-like than I expected. Certainly not the general "bend over backwards" attitude we find at the parks (with some notable exceptions). We wrote it off to the tremendous amount of extra work from the virus protection issue. In talking to several of the CM's and crew I was amazed at how many things they do and how many hours they work.

Strangest: I saw two kids, girl approx 6 and boy approx 8, demanding ice from the guy at the deck 9 drink station. When they got it, they were pouring it into their bathing suits and stuffing it down into the crotch area. They would then dance around and pull the legs of their suits open so the ice scattered all over the deck. Mom and dad were nearby talking, apparently not concerned. They did see the kids doing it, but paid no attention. By the time they were through the deck was covered in ice cubes, and the little girl kept running under the barrier and trying to get ice herself. I felt sorry for the CM manning the drink station that day!

Funniest: At home we keep baby wipes in our bathroom to help our kids properly clean themselves after using the bathroom. In the hustle and bustle of packing, I forgot to bring a box with us on the cruise. My son came out of the bathroom and mentioned he had used the wipes in there. Huh? I checked the bathroom and he had used the CLOROX disinfecting wipes that we had stowed under the sink area! No question about him being clean that day! lol.

Overall we had a great time and would love to have the chance to go again, especially now that we know what to expect and a little more about what we'd like to do.

Anyone else like to share?

Our most magical moment was after our character breakfast. We were headed our of Parrot Cay about the same time as Minnie Mouse. Minnie had quickly become DS's favorite, so we followed her around the corridor to the elevator lobby.

As she waited for the elevator, DS got one-on-one time with her along with a kiss. We then all got into the elevator together and had a nice chat with her (basically, that was me saying that all the walking must be tough on her feet as she always seemed to be in heels. She made all the appropriate motions back :-) We all got off at the next deck. That was all DS could talk about. Very lucky for us.

I posted a trip report. Make sure to go out and read the last paragraph about the wild experience DH had. That would qualify as our strangest moment on the ship.

Hi ho, Hi ho, its back to reality I go with 10'' of snow here in MN.

PiperG,

I'm sorry we never caught up on the Magic. I laughed when I read about your dh's experience. I wonder if it was one of the 2 "ladies":rolleyes: that decided to become part of the entertainment Friday night at dueling pianos. These 2 women made a bit of a spectacle of themselves. Sounds like they might have been part of the same group!!

She was lucky that your dh was the one that helped her and not someone that could have taken advantage of her situation.

Some people!!!

Nancy

So sorry that we didn't get to meet up with anyone on the ship. We did have a wonderful time, Disney exceeded my expectations and then some. My kids LOVED the club, although we did bump my 5 year old down into the 3-4 year old group as she said there were too many boys in the 5-7 and they were playing boy games, but once she was in the 3-4 with my other daughter, they were fine!

The weather was great, the kids club was great, noone got sick, one of the best cruises we have ever taken, and since I got to read 4 books and see 3 movies, I feel that I had a great vacation too!

PiperG, I am wondering if the woman your husband helped is the same woman I helped after she tried to put her Key into the movie theater door at 1am one night and then continued to fight with me as she was adamant this was her cabin, I made it very clear to the people that passed me that she was not with me, I was just helping out and thankfully a crew member came out of the elevator and took over. Guess some people just vacation a little too much.

Counting down the months till our next cruise - I am already trying to figure out when we can do this again. For those of you that have done the eastern and western itineraries, which do you prefer and why?

Mary Cay

Most Magical: Seeing St. Thomas for the first time with my dh. The view from the top overlooking the harbor with the Magic anchored was breathtaking!

Funniest: Our head server sneaking up on me and whispering in my ear from behind and scaring the daylights out of me. I actually screamed and lost my breath but it was very funny afterwards. From that point on, I always knew where John was in the dining room!

Strangest: Friday night at dueling pianos when 2 other guests decided that they wanted to be part of the entertainment. They obviously had over indulged (all week apparently) and really made fools of themselves. Jeff and Fidelio were very professional but these 2 women made fools of themselves and were totally oblivious to that fact.

All in all it was a great cruise and I can't wait to go again.

Just wanted to say that it was great to meet the few of you that we got to meet! Unfortunately we missed the first portion of the DISmeet because I was being pampered in the spa! Steven actually doesn't think that y'all are rapists or murderers anymore ;)

Our memories -

Most MAGICal - seeing the Magic for the first time. PiperG can attest to the fact that I was probably more excited than her son for awhile! The only word to describe it is awesome.

Least MAGICal - actually we didn't really have a least Magical experience...we had a fabulous week! If it would be anything it would be the weather on Saturday and Sunday - but it really couldn't be helped.

We didn't really have any particulary strange or funny moments that I can think of offhand except for my blotchy burn that I got on Monday that didn't go away until yesterday!

Welcome Home Everyone!

We had THE MOST MAGICAL CRUISE EVER! My only regret was not getting a chance to meet all of you. Please forgive me, but Marco and Salvatore were pinning me to the floor, shoveling champagne and lox and bagels and crab claws and hummus and....:p I have never felt so wonderful for six consecutive days in my life! Six, because we all had a very difficult time unwinding the first day. After that, all smiles.

Most Magical: Fitting into my formal wear!:p I really was surprised, and delighted. Thank Goodness formal night was early.

Least Magical: Feeling like throwing my entire family overboard when we just couldn't unwind the first day.:( It was VERY frustrating. Here we are, supposed to be having this long overdue vacation, and all we could do was bicker! Every one of us. I was really worried we were all going over the edge, literally as well as figurativly.

Strangest: That would be the way I felt Monday morning. I really didn't THINK I overindulged Sunday, but my body told me differently. Kept wondering about NLV, but instead, it was only the 3 o'clock Flu. I swear somebody slipped me a mickey:p . Had a wonderful time with Sue and Kevin Sunday night at Sessions, and felt just fine there. Had to go back to the cabin for DD. She was lonely. DH followed shortly after (after finishing MY cognac), had an uneventful sleep, woke up feeling a bit swampy, and it got worse. Never any NLV symptoms, just like too much antihistamine. Anyway, I just laid low, stayed away from the fun stuff, and by the next day, was ready to roll.

Funniest: That would be Sunday. (after the mickey?) In another MAGICAL moment, DH and I were enjoying quiet, adult time. A very tender, scantily clad moment. Just as I was thinking about the DEAD-BOLT, in walks DD and announces "OK! You two can stop that any time!" Since it was still in the innocent moments, I laughed so very hard. In fact, I'm ROFLOL right now! DH was absolutely aghast, and I just couldn't control my laughter. DD took it all in stride, except she couldn't wait to tell DS. I'm sure DH is traumatized for life though;) .

I really could go on and on about what a great time we had, but OH the laundry, the empty fridge, the... OMG! I'm still in my pj's and Mickey Slippies!

Hey Monie!

I do believe we were straight across the hall from you! I'm So sorry about the unfortunate roll of the dice we were given with, Novell was it? She was really something! Were you in 6551? We were in 6550. A good Cabin steward makes all the difference. On all the other cruises we've been on, We never had a dirty towel, if the bed was mussed, it was straightened, ice was always available, (NOT the melted water with a few cubes, as was the familiar sight this time.). In general, I've always felt like the cabin steward was in my stateroom more than I was. I guess that is what I've come to expect, and maybe things are changing. People want more privacy maybe?
However, I must say, that was the ONLY part of this cruise that did not exceed our expectations. Novelle did the bare minimum. Had she even smiled, or tried to be pleasant, then I could be a bit more understanding. I DO understand that these cast members have a herculean task on their hands, with all the extra things they need to do. Maybe she's had enough and won't sign another contract. Anyway, sorry about your situation. I do understand about the lack of personal attention from the cabin steward. As I said in response to your "sick..." post, She had the temperment of a pit viper. One more thing, I've never gotten the feeling that I didn't pay enough to get good service. I'm sorry to hear that you have that impression, and that others seem to think that that is the way it should be. Feel better!

REMEMBER THE MAGIC!:) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tracy

Hey Piper :)

I agree the characters were fantastic. That is a strong factor in why we are thinking about booking with Disney again.

When we first signed DS up for the lab DD and I were waiting outside near the area that overlooks the lobby. A CM called DD over and pointed to the next deck, and there was Minnie standing there by herself. She saw DD and waved and blew a kiss just for her, and it was like she was the only kid on earth right then. We were both so excited. Semi-formal night she wore her Minnie dress and Mickey and Minnie both made a big deal about it. There was never a long wait to see them, and they were so patient about posing for two cameras. The characters were truly a highlight all the way around!

Also our servers seemed so rushed at the beginning of the week, but by the end they had really gotten to know us and vice versa and we enjoyed them tremendously. My DS had a hedgehog that was a class mascot with him and our server Philip had had one as a pet. He taught us some things about them and DS learned how to say "hedgehog" in seven different languages!

I coudn't say enough good things about our cabin steward. He was practically magic himself!

Overall we were thrilled with the characters and "our" little team that truly made the vacation magical!

PS I think my DH encountered the same woman as some of the rest of you. She must have really gotten around the ship. lol.

Hey Melissa!

I was so looking forward to meeting you!:( Thank you for all you did for us fellow DISers. I enjoyed your latest post. Another great Idea!

Strangest: I saw two kids, girl approx 6 and boy approx 8, demanding ice from the guy at the deck 9 drink station. When they got it, they were pouring it into their bathing suits and stuffing it down into the crotch area. They would then dance around and pull the legs of their suits open so the ice scattered all over the deck. Mom and dad were nearby talking, apparently not concerned. They did see the kids doing it, but paid no attention. By the time they were through the deck was covered in ice cubes, and the little girl kept running under the barrier and trying to get ice herself. I felt sorry for the CM manning the drink station that day!
That is REALLY GROSS!

We wrote it off to the tremendous amount of extra work from the virus protection issue. In talking to several of the CM's and crew I was amazed at how many things they do and how many hours they work.
I agree. They all seemed a bit tired, but we had the most attentive Cast Members. Aside from the cabin steward, everyone, from the most highly decorated, to the guys in yellow suits, were absolutely wonderful. I'm serious when I say, I felt like I OWNED that ship. I have never had such wonderful people try their hardest to make my week a perfect Fairy Tale fantasy ever.
We did book again for Sept. 6, '03. Not expecting much, as we'll have DMIL and DFIL with us. The consumate complainers, but I'm over it! Just try to stop me from having fun! :p

REMEMBER THE MAGIC!:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Tracy

SSooo sorry i didn't get to meet you all :( My appointment at the spa was at 11:45 and there was no way i was going to miss THAT pampering and luxury! hehe We had a great time, too.......We didn't enter the kids into any programs, but spent the entire time at the shows and movies and poolside - we had a fabulous time!!! Our servers (putu and passayu) were AWESOME! our cabin steward was excellent - he made so many animals for our kids with the towels it was amazing!!!!!! Every night he did something special for the kids and put the animals on their beds....he was amazing. The only bad part to our trip was our 3 year old coming down with that virus.....we didn't say ANYTHING to anyone..the cabing steward knew, but he said "SHHHHHHHHHHH......" and just cleaned like mad. He came down with it on Thrusday night, and slept/threw up/ for the rest of the cruise. It was kind of bad becuase my hubby pretty much missed hte last day of the cruise (Castaway Cay) and we kept him (the baby) locked away in the cabin. But no one else came down with it thank god...........We just kept our hands washed at all times which was pretty funny trying to do! Dont touch anything! LOL But he is still suffering the poor thing.....the doc said just keep the fever down and giving him fluids............. So anyway, what was with THOSE SAND FLEAS????? that was the grossest thing i have ever encountered!!!!! i was completely covered with the darn things, i was completely grossed out!!! And ack, the the story with the two kids and the ice cubes? how gross! i'm glad i missed that one! The funniest story i have is the guy in the cabin next door to us......he was NAKED!!!! on his deck EVERY night! my hubby and i would peek around and the guy LIVED on that deck NAKED !!! it was the most hysterical thing! BUT there were four little girls in the cabin on the other side of us and wouldn't ya know, EVERY time they were out they were completely hanging OVER the railing. the parents were NO where to be seen. I yelled and yelled at those kids and even when the Mom finally did come out and i said something she was like, "mind your own business." When the little girl (4ish she looked) leaned over ALL the way and the other girl (about 6) started screaming and pulling on her when she started to fall - and my husband leaned over from our side to grab her, the only thing that went over was the girls toy and her sunglasses. i have never seen my hubby so mad before. I was livid! and the mother DID nothing. Sheesh. that was the bad point. BUT we LOVED the cruise, would definetely do it again.....i met tons of nice people!!! I would definetely go again :)
Penny

I'm so sorry I didn't get to meet anyone, but the cruise didn't go as I had planned. We got to the cruise terminal by 10:30 am and check-in went great. I did wander around the terminal looking for those infamous green ribbons, but didn't see any nor could I locate the famous multi-colored back pack. :(
Anyway, once we got on board, we registered the kids in the club and made Palo reservations for Brunch on Sunday. That was scheduled for 11:00 ON Sunday which was when everyone was supposed to meet. I was going to try to sneak away from the Brunch and say a quick hello to everyone, but my friend got beeped around 10:30 that her daughter had gotten sick in the club and it went downhill from there. She was quarantined for 72 hours, so I tried to take care of her son and my son, taking them to the clubs and meals with the rest of our group. Monday morning, my son woke me at 6:30 am with diahrreah and my sister called me to tell me my niece had been throwing up since 4:00 am. We were going to try to cover it up so we wouldn't be quarantined, but when my niece continued to throw up, my sister had to take her to the doctor. So, I figured I better take Brian as well. So now, the 3 youngerst kids in the group are quarantined. Disney offered to fly us home and give us full credit towards a future cruise. We planned on flying out of St. Thomas on Wednesday, but found out at noon on Tuesday that our flights were scheduled for 3:15, so we had 2 hours to pack since we had to leave the ship at 2:00. The only flight out of St. Thomas on Wednesday was 6:30 am and we weren't going to dock until 7:30 am. We tried to get a room in St. Martin, but they didn't want us staying on the island "sick" and the ship was sailing that evening, so we couldn't stay on the ship. Needless to say, Tuesday was very hectic. I think my son had an upset stomach because he had been on antibiotics for a slight strep since the Thursday before the cruise and he wasn't eating on the ship, but because he had diahrreah, they had to quarantine him.
My sister and her friend stayed because they would be out of quarantine on Wednesday and could see St. Thomas. They got moved into a one bedroom suite and Disney sent a counselot up to take care of my niece. She had full room service including drinks and could order from any menu. Boy, did they luck out. Anyway, at least I have another cruise to look forward to. It sounds as if everyone else had a great time.

Melissa: Wanted to thank you agian for all the work you put into the pins and the dismeet. We met a quite a few of you and it was fun.
Penny, I think we ran into you everywhere. Sorry to hear the baby got sick.
My daughter got sick when we got home. Her temp was 103 and she was just out of it.
Dvarrolo, what a nightmare!! Hope all is well now. At least you can do it again!
We loved the whole trip and it was just a great as our first. Having a balcony was the best!!!! Felt like we had more room to breathe. We tried to get the kids out of the sun by 4 so it was nice to hang out for a while. Also loved secret deck 7. We went every chance we could. The kids would go to the club on days at sea at around 1:30 and DH and I would go out there and read or sleep. No one was ever really there. Peace and quiet, especially after the Mickey Pool.
My only real disappointment was the tendering process in St. Thomas. We got to Rockin Bar D at 8:15 and didn't get to St. Thomas til after 9:30 which ruined our planned day in St. John!
Our room steward was excellent! Our head server was good but his assitant, Teddy was so great. Always has to wait until dinner was half done to get salt/pepper. He was just too slow.
Carolyn

MelissaE1,
Thanks for making those fantastic name tags, so official looking. I'm saving them for my scrapbook. It was great to meet so many of you and to be able to put faces to names when we would see you later on the ship.

I'm sorry to hear that not everyone fared as well as we did with illnesses. Dh and I had such a great time that we booked the western route while on board.:bounce: had to make sure I got that $200.00 on board credit. Will probably try RCCL next time thought just to compare the two.

Nancy

SJM,
Are you out there? Just wanted to say Hi and that we really enjoyed your company. We saw Kevin riding the segway. Looked fun. Weather here in FW is awful! 30-40 mph wind with below zero wind chill. I have suitcases all over my family room , (still) no food in the fridge, and Gary is putting in some OT, so he'll be starving by the time he gets home tonight. Speaking of starving.

AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO FEELS HUNGRY ALL THE TIME!?!?!? :teeth:

Keep in touch! You can PM me for e-mail. Talk to you later!

REMEMBER THE MAGIC!
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Tracy

Tracy- You were right across from us too funny! The people down 2 doors from you were the ones who had so much luggage stored I think. Did she store any for you?

Monica,

Are you kidding me? She wouldn't even give me the time of day. (She smoked in my stateroom! That really peeved me. Everytime I'd return after breakfast, I could smell the lingering smoke, much like what my mother would accuse me of when I was 16 or so. Even found ashes in the tiolet!!!) Needless to say, she was NOT my favorite CM.

We luckily learned from our last Disney Cruise to use soft-sided bags that nest. All ours fit neatly under the bed:) . Somehow, we needed to purchase more luggage on the return, and did get some really huge hard cases, as our softies just didn't hold up that well. Hoping they'll fit in the closet nexxt time.:( . I've heard conflicting reports on the whole luggage storage thing, so I'm going on the not in this lifetime assumption. Is DH feeling better? I've heard that when folks get to the rapid heart rate/dehydration stage, recovery is much slower. Sounds like you and yours have had a string of some pretty bad luck. Keep your chin up. I know it's hard. Been there myself several times. Just yin and yang I think. Things will get better. Take care!

Tracy

Did you see the big stack of luggage outside on your side on Saturday? At least 10 pieces. She stored those for those folks and told me there was not more room for luggage.
I can't believe she smoked in your room! That would have been it for me for sure.
Hubbie is slowly on the mend. DD and friend's son were sick on the LONG drive home. I think we know every bathroom from Orlando to here. What a mess.
I'm just amazed when I hear stories of some people being offered flights home, refunds, free future cruises, upgrades to suites. I don't understand why we were treated like we were. I just feel like no one cared that we were sick. Far from the service I would have expected from Disney. Never had this kind of service in the parks or resorts on property.My work used to take us there for our yearly conventions and every time you felt so special. They bent over backwards to make our stay the best. I can assure you there was no one sicker than my husband was!Gee, I couldn't even get the toilet cleaned!
I voiced my concerns to Disney via email and as of yet no one has even given the courtesy of a reply!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter