How much do you pay for parking at HS?

avengerspoilerer

Mouseketeer
We have a falling sophomore who will be driving to school next year if a parking pass is available. The falling Juniors get to buy theirs first the last week of school and then the falling sophomores get to in mid-July.

We just found out the county raised the price of a parking pass at all the HS from $75 per year to $90 with no explanation of the needed cost increase.

My kids didn't have to pay to park at school. There was a lottery for parking lot passes. When I was there, I had to find street parking. The school didn't own any lots then. None of the HS's have to pay for parking in our area. Most others don't have lotteries, either.

My daughter's HS doesn't have a fee. She is a sophomore(not many are driving to school and even have their licenses here in Maryland- or at least at her school-tough laws and expensive insurance lol), so she can park on the overflow sophomore/junior lot for free. Then there is another junior lot(you have to have a pass- although it's free), and a lottery lot(very close- only seniors who win "lottery" can park there, otherwise they park in junior lot. Thank goodness we don't have to pay!!!

I'm pretty sure we did not have to pay when I was in high school. We only had enough spots for most seniors to park, so they did a lottery for that. No street parking around the school so if you didn't get parking your rode the bus or got a ride.

Seniors are guaranteed a spot for $75. Juniors can enter a lottery also for $75.

I never knew schools charged for parking especially with the amount of school taxes some of us pay.

Ours is a Private (Catholic) school, for the record. They also have a 'campus' of sorts, so there doesn't appear to be a lack of parking space available. At least, as I recall, there was no problem for our older son to get a pass mid-year when he got his license as a sophomore (pro-rated cost).

I never knew schools charged for parking especially with the amount of school taxes some of us pay.
With 4000 kids crammed into a few acres parking is a premium and generates daily traffic that needs to be managed.

At my kids a school the $112000 they collect yearly is used to improve the parking lots and pays for a full time “traffic cop” who manages the morning and afternoon traffic.

Our HS doesn’t have any student parking, they can park on unmetered streets or pay $50 a month to park in the municipal lot two blocks from the HS. We don’t have school buses.

Here it's free. However it's only for seniors and it's done by lottery each quarter. My son lucked out and got one each quarter.

Last edited:
With 4000 kids crammed into a few acres parking is a premium and generates daily traffic that needs to be managed.

At my kids a school the $112000 they collect yearly is used to improve the parking lots and pays for a full time “traffic cop” who manages the morning and afternoon traffic.

That makes sense.
Our school does not have the lot space to accommodate all driving students which is why only Seniors are allowed to park, but space is still limited so some Seniors are out of luck if they don't apply for a pass early.
We don't have traffic cops, but there is a security booth that all drivers check in to when entering the lot. I guess his salary is covered under our annual budget so there is no need to require parking fees for his position.

I pay $6000 a year just in school taxes, but there is no parking because there is no space, even teachers have to park on the street with permits.

We have a falling sophomore who will be driving to school next year if a parking pass is available. The falling Juniors get to buy theirs first the last week of school and then the falling sophomores get to in mid-July.

We just found out the county raised the price of a parking pass at all the HS from $75 per year to $90 with no explanation of the needed cost increase.

Our students pay $150 per year. Seniors get first pick of assigned spaces. Then juniors get to choose and all spaces are gone.

For my daughter's private school it's $50 if you prepay for the following year; $65 if you get it at the beginning of the school year.

I went to the same high school as my daughter and it was free when I was there. There are also plenty of spots which makes me think it's just another way to make money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter