How much do you spend on groceries?

How much do you spend per person per week?

Votes: 6 3.5%

Votes: 13 7.6%

Votes: 15 8.8%

Votes: 14 8.2%

Votes: 27 15.8%

Votes: 7 4.1%

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • More than 50

Votes: 57 33.3%

• Total voters
We spend about $120-150 for two adults a week. That includes food groceries and household items like paper towels and TP, but not toiletries. We shop pretty much exclusively at Stop & Shop, with trips to Whole Foods or Trader Joes maybe once every other month. The Whole Foods trips are typically for "special" meals and are much, much more expensive and the Trader Joes trips are for horseradish, organic BBQ sauce and dark chocolate.

I'm sure we could do our regular shopping cheaper, but like PP, we pay for the quality we want for our everyday meals and consider it money completely well spent—free range chicken and eggs, grass-fed beef, wild-caught salmon, organic/local produce and dairy...There are so many other areas we'd be willing to skimp on before the ingredients that fuel our bodies.

Our dining out budget is separate. We both work from home—my SO eats lunch at home essentially everyday, and I'll eat out one lunch a week. Dinner out is probably once or twice a month together, and once or twice a month separately with friends or family.

Interesting thread as it is per person instead of per household like others I have followed. We are a family of 12. My husband and I, 8 kids and a lady and her daughter who work for me and live in an apartment attached to our house but eat 99% with us and just buy their own special snacks and drinks when they want. I spend $1000 a month and that included everyday items like soap shampoo and TP. On a 30 day month that is right at $20 per person per week. We eat mostly at home and almost everything now made by scratch as we live on a small island and most prepared food is the same stuff I would make for way less per person or is shipped in and overpriced for tourists and thus just for ocational special treats. A small bag of oreos is about $7, it's like 24 cookies. Our prices on fresh fruits and veggies is much lower than US prices, just have lesslvariety. Pineapple under $2, avocados 3 for $1, Tomatoes, broccoli and green beans around $0.50 a lb.

Groceries are $125 a week for a family of four that includes DS18 in college (lives at home) and DD12.

Toiletries and eating out is completely separate.

My kids often go to my grandma's house after school and eat a "snack" (according to my grandma) that is a full meal. I consider it an early dinner. Because of this they usually aren't hungry around dinner time. About 3 days a week I don't cook dinner and my SO and I will just snack on something for dinner. Then the kids will have a snack around 8 pm...fruit salad, cheese and crackers, etc.

DS18 eats lunch on campus with his own money since he works.

got it-the young ones are SO expensive! i remember the weekly trip to sam's club to get wipes and diapers, and formula never went on sale anywhere:sick:

i used to get the bulk of my paper goods at costco (at least tp/paper towels) but i've started getting them through target when they've got a sale like they've got going now ($25 purchase= $5 gift card). i buy allot and break it into as many individual $25 orders as possible so the next time i'm in need i can wait for another sale AND use the gift cards. i just found that the brands i use are cheaper on their promotions vs. costco's regular price. speaking of costco-i recently found out i can order their otc meds on-line and they do free shipping so i'm trying to go that route so i'm not tempted to grab extra items when i go there (also found out they do a refund if something goes on sale w/in 30 days-i just did it w/some sweat pants i got for dh, they popped up on the monthly coupon book for $4 off a pair so i filled out the online form and within a couple of days they refunded about $17:thumbsup2.

Yep, those little ones will get you every time. That is a smart idea with the Target gift cards. I might have to try that too. I also LOVE the Costco shipping option. In fact, we usually do one large Costco shipment per month. I haven't been in an actual Costco store in several months now.

Yep, those little ones will get you every time. That is a smart idea with the Target gift cards. I might have to try that too. I also LOVE the Costco shipping option. In fact, we usually do one large Costco shipment per month. I haven't been in an actual Costco store in several months now.

i gotta go in once in awhile to get our stuffed bell pepper fix, and with the colder weather-their mutant large chicken pot pie.

Our grocery budget for 2 people and 2 cats is $100 a week and includes household items. Walmart pick up really saves me. I can add it all in my cart and add and deduct until I get the price I like.

I really don't know its just the 2 of us, kids are out of the house... but we do entertain and have overnight guest often and then kids and grandkids come over so that add's into the numbers.

Aldi - for almost all of my pantry staples, flour, sugars, bread crumbs, stock, granola, packaged oatmeal, seasonings, baking supplies, breakfast/ granola bars, nuts, and more.
I go about every 6 to 8 weeks.

Walmart - I have 2 Walmart stores within 10 mintues and each of them carry's thing that the other one doesn't - It's strange how close the stores are and they offer such different items... Hidden valley cumber ranch dressing, some cake mixes, and muffin mixes that are different, as well they always have whatever seasonal cake, cookies, and sprinkle's or icing. I also like to get there flash frozen veggies, this is always hit or miss so if they have what I am looking for I will buy extra and put in the freezer. Also they carry the large frozen boxes of garlic bread... I really don't like to go to Walmart so when I go I do quite a bit of shopping. Maybe monthly to the 6 week mark.

BJ's warehouse - Drinks, paper and cleaning products, hand soap, shower wash, deodorant, some OTC medicine. So much cheaper to buy bulk on things like tums, or ibuprofen. Fresh and Frozen fish, shrimp, ribs, butter, cheese ( baby bells, and cheese sticks), also we have started picking up fresh veggies, so far potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green onions, and had great success with them so far. Every 2 to 3 months for the most items. As for the produce, I was surprised how long they lasted, well over a week almost to the 10 day mark.

Publix - This is where I do the remainder of our shopping. - weekly.

I coupon shop, seasonal shop, meal plan, and cook once for 2 meals, and make ahead freezer meals.

So I really don't have that number. I know what we need, and how we eat, and when family and friends are coming over... and plan accordingly.

Roughly $150 per week for 3 adults for groceries alone. I definitely coupon, as I live in the most expensive county in the U.S. (it sucks). We eat vegan/plant based, so the majority of our food is inexpensive unless we buy specialty items like alternative cheeses/meats or pricey produce like avocados. The $150 accounts for breakfast and lunch for the week and maybe 2 dinners or so. We eat out for dinner the rest of the week.

I'm in Massachusetts - have managed to trim our weekly budget to around $80-100 per week (for 2 adults, 2 hungry boys age 12 and 9, and the dog). I used to coupon but found that at Market Basket (a local discount grocer) the store brands are usually the same price as the name brands with a coupon...so I save the energy and just buy store brand. The biggest cost savers for me are:
- Meal planning. I literally know every meal and snack for the week before I food shop. I don't overbuy and this allows me to
- Buy meat in bulk when it's on sale. Meat is the biggest chunk of our food budget, so when it goes on crazy sale I buy enough for 6 weeks and store it in the freezer or make freezer meals with it.
- Less prepackaged food, more homemade food. I skip bagged popcorn and pop it on the stovetop. I make dinner rolls, pancakes and waffles from scratch rather than buy boxed mix. Bonus, making pancakes in double batches means I can freeze the extras for quick toaster breakfasts later. Flour is cheap :)
- Planning meals for leftovers. For a LONG time, leftovers were the forgotten orphans in my fridge. And I felt like I was throwing money away. If I plan to add them to another dish, I'm using my resources better.
- Buying in season. I'm in Massachusetts. Strawberries and blueberries just aren't in season in February, and as tasty as they are, they are WAY more expensive that time of year. I can live on apples and bananas rather than pay a premium to have things year round.

It is somewhat ridiculous, but it's only me and I usually spend about 20 bucks. Bear in ind that I eat out a lot on weekends. My weekly grocery purchases are pretty much the sad single guy diet:

cereal & milk
bread, lunchmeat, & cheese
pasta & ground turkey OR lettuce and salad stuff OR a dozen eggs and frozen hashbrowns
1 two-liter of Coke Zero

That's about typical for me, if my Mom didn't send me home with a bunch of leftovers from Sunday dinner. I will eat the same thing every weekday, with lunch out on Friday and then whatever over the weekends.

It is somewhat ridiculous, but it's only me and I usually spend about 20 bucks. Bear in ind that I eat out a lot on weekends. My weekly grocery purchases are pretty much the sad single guy diet:

cereal & milk
bread, lunchmeat, & cheese
pasta & ground turkey OR lettuce and salad stuff OR a dozen eggs and frozen hashbrowns
1 two-liter of Coke Zero

That's about typical for me, if my Mom didn't send me home with a bunch of leftovers from Sunday dinner. I will eat the same thing every weekday, with lunch out on Friday and then whatever over the weekends.

When I was a broke college student my grocery money was $16 a week. It was what I had left after gas money and my mortgage. Food city would mark down their ground turkey packs to 99 cents and I’d grab them all. Two a week, almost every week for a couple of years.

When I was a broke college student my grocery money was $16 a week. It was what I had left after gas money and my mortgage. Food city would mark down their ground turkey packs to 99 cents and I’d grab them all. Two a week, almost every week for a couple of years.

Haha, yeah, but I'm no longer a broke college student. I'm just still buying my same single guy groceries! Oh, and I do keep a few packs of ramen noodles around too, for that extra-sad vibe!

About $250 a week for 2 adults, 2 children.

My husband eats low carb so lots of meat, cheese, nuts & veggies. He packs his lunch everyday.

My kids both have nightshade allergies so no tomatoes, potatoes or peppers. I also have to cook everything from scratch to avoid some spices (paprika & cayenne) that cause them issues.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Market Basket! The fresh meat and produce is sooo much better quality than Stop & Shop. I was tired of spending money on fruits and veggies and having them go bad in only a couple of days. GRRRRRR!! My son had to throw away a 5 lb of potatoes because they were rotten in the middles. Oh' don't forget Market Baskets awesome cafes. Those meals are the best. I checked out the Aldi's near me, but the store kind of weired me out and didn't buy anything.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Market Basket! The fresh meat and produce is sooo much better quality than Stop & Shop. I was tired of spending money on fruits and veggies and having them go bad in only a couple of days. GRRRRRR!! My son had to throw away a 5 lb of potatoes because they were rotten in the middles. Oh' don't forget Market Baskets awesome cafes. Those meals are the best. I checked out the Aldi's near me, but the store kind of weired me out and didn't buy anything.

RIGHT? I've had OK luck with Stop & Shop meat, but Shaw's meats seem to ALWAYS go bad or smell funny. MB meat is great quality. I find Aldi are pretty hit or miss, the one near my work is newer and seems to have a better selection than the one near my in-law's house. The setup is odd, but I used to shop at Price Rite and it's a similar arrangement there.

i'm spending a whole lot more this month than normal b/c i'm stocking up to take advantage of some tremendous sales to enable savings for the foreseeable future.

is anyone else experiencing really good deals on meat? prices are lower than i've seen in ages on beef. i finally found some good deals on canned goods when a couple of stores started up some stock up sales this past week, AND OMG-target has a GREAT DEAL going on cleaning and paper products. i usually stock up when they do a $5 gift card w/a minimum purchase (and their regular prices beat costco and any other place i've compared to, unless those places are having tremendous deals) through this saturday. if you opt for store pickup and buy a minimum number each (3-4 depending on the item) you get $10 gift cards. i just made an order that will net me enough gift cards to cover my entire order when i need it several months down the line.

We spend about $120-150 for two adults a week. That includes food groceries and household items like paper towels and TP, but not toiletries. We shop pretty much exclusively at Stop & Shop, with trips to Whole Foods or Trader Joes maybe once every other month. The Whole Foods trips are typically for "special" meals and are much, much more expensive and the Trader Joes trips are for horseradish, organic BBQ sauce and dark chocolate.

I'm sure we could do our regular shopping cheaper, but like PP, we pay for the quality we want for our everyday meals and consider it money completely well spent—free range chicken and eggs, grass-fed beef, wild-caught salmon, organic/local produce and dairy...There are so many other areas we'd be willing to skimp on before the ingredients that fuel our bodies.

Our dining out budget is separate. We both work from home—my SO eats lunch at home essentially everyday, and I'll eat out one lunch a week. Dinner out is probably once or twice a month together, and once or twice a month separately with friends or family.

Wow - we might be the same person :)

About $100/week for 3-5 of us. We have multiple schedules with multiple kids. We shop mostly at Aldi and stack Publix sales with Ibotta/Shopkick rebates. Our meals are simple but minimally processed ingredients, mostly gluten free to accommodate one child and nutritionally wholesome. Paper products/toiletries/health care items are not included in this budget for us.

I know there are some Kroger fans on this thread. Check your click list coupons. There is. $20off 50, free shells, free taco seasoning, free cheese, free drain cleaner, free mug cakes, free Cheerios, free mayo when you buy bbq, and free soup. You can also add your tuna and ready rice friday freebies if you haven’t cashed those in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter