How Not to Spend To Much at Christmas

OnlyDisney

DIS Veteran
I thought I'd share how we do Christmas in our house. I read this somewhere a couple of years ago and think it works great. We base our gifts on this little poem, so everyone gets 4 gifts. This is just for our immediate family.

Something you want,
Something you need,
Something to wear,
Something to read.

This is very close to what my mom&dad have been doing since all our kids were born... they have 6 grand-kids and 4 of them have birthdays within 3 wks of Christmas.

So for birthday and Christmas, they buy each grandkid something they have been asking for (something you want), an outfit (something to wear), and a book (something to read)... just left out the something you need part, lol.

This is what I am planning to do this year as well. My youngest thinks a Kindle falls into the "something to read" category. :rotfl2:

I understand that people do things differently but "something I need" ? Really? That one makes no sense to me.

I understand that people do things differently but "something I need" ? Really? That one makes no sense to me.

Need may be something along the lines of a winter coat, or shoes, bedding, etc...things a kid wouldn't ASK for but realizing that Christmas isn't necessarily just receiving only toys or luxuries.

I have to disagree. In my mind it makes perfect sense. When times are tight there are frequently things that a person needs that continues to get put on the back burner. Heck, that can be true even when times aren't tight. Maybe its something small like winter socks or something larger like a new cell phone. My kids get something they need every year, warm pajamas and slippers. Honestly, as they get older they get more need based things. The wants are getting too darned expensive!

Not sure that I will be giving this "need" to DD but it is just an example. She NEEDS monthly train passes to get to/from school since she will be communting this upcoming semester. Without it, well I don't know how she would commute. :)

Still don't get it, sorry. If you need something, you need it.

The need part makes perfect sense to me too... in fact most of the stocking stuffers I do are "need" things.. socks, undies, new toothbrush, hair clips, etc.

And dd's always get new jammies and slippers for Christmas.. those I consider "need" items.

Even getting a bigger need item for dd this year.. younger dd desparately wants a horse so I'm getting her horseback riding lessons (much cheaper, lol), but one of her gifts then will be a riding helmet... that to me is a "need" thing to go along with the lessons.

And nothing. I just don't get it. :confused3

I was wondering if I was being to literal in my reading of 'need'. It appears for some people, yes and others no.

As I said, people do things differently. Doesn't mean they have to make sense to everyone else.

I think some of you are hearing judgement. That's not what I mean when I say I don't get it. I just don't get it.

I think I understand what you're saying...basically that if something is a true NEED then you really shouldn't wait until Christmas to give it to them. If they need it then it should be bought based on need, not counting that as a Christmas gift.

So you feel that Christmas gifts should all be "wants" I'm assuming.

I think I understand what you're saying...basically that if something is a true NEED then you really shouldn't wait until Christmas to give it to them. If they need it then it should be bought based on need, not counting that as a Christmas gift.

So you feel that Christmas gifts should all be "wants" I'm assuming.

Yes to the bolded.

But should isn't the word I'd use. That's just how we do it.

I was wondering if I was being to literal in my reading of 'need'. It appears for some people, yes and others no.

As I said, people do things differently. Doesn't mean they have to make sense to everyone else.

I think some of you are hearing judgement. That's not what I mean when I say I don't get it. I just don't get it.

I do a lot of the 'need' things as Christmas gifts: toothbrush, toothpaste, socks, underwear, pjs, gloves, this year my daughter 'needs' an alarm clock to get herself up for school :rotfl: so she is getting one for Christmas.

It's money I'd spend anyway, so I don't count it as part my Christmas budget, but it makes for more things under the tree and my children have learned to understand and appreciate that not ALL the gifts we get are things we just 'want'. And the one year that I forgot to put toothbrushes in the stockings, they were all like :scared1: "Where's my toothbrush??"

Yes to the bolded.

And that is how I used to do it as well. However, times and circumstances have changed and although I would LOVE to just give everything they want, it is just not feasible this year. We (my family and I ) need to prioritize this year, hopefully next year, we can go back to just giving what they want. It is so much more fun that way!

How does this prevent you from spending too much? Buying four gifts might be more expensive than buying 10 gifts (depending on price). I like the idea, but don't see how it saves money.

IMO... don't want to spend too much... make a budget and stick to it.

How does this prevent you from spending too much? Buying four gifts might be more expensive than buying 10 gifts (depending on price). I like the idea, but don't see how it saves money.

IMO... don't want to spend too much... make a budget and stick to it.

Yes, for some people "something to wear" could be Uggs, for some it could be a tshirt.
I could easily spend a lot of money on those four categories of gifts! ;)

Yes to the bolded.

I think it's a difference in how different people define "need" I don't think anyone here is saying that if their child doesn't have a winter coat and it's 20 degrees F outside, they would wait until Christmas to give their child a coat as a Christmas gift. However, things like toothbrushes, socks or underwear (which need to be replaced fairly often) can be considered needs but aren't something that a child necessarily needs right away so they can wait to be given as Christmas gifts instead of just being bought at non-holiday times.

Hope that helps.

Helen

I thought I'd share how we do Christmas in our house. I read this somewhere a couple of years ago and think it works great. We base our gifts on this little poem, so everyone gets 4 gifts. This is just for our immediate family.

Something you want,
Something you need,
Something to wear,
Something to read.

I've never heard that before, but that does seem to follow how my parents handled Christmas when we were growing up. Compared to friends houses, the gifts at our houses were sparse, very unassuming, and economical. PJs, slippers, underwear.

Some of the larger gifts I still remember were an Easy-Bake Oven, a kids microscope, and an electrical set for kids from Radio Shack. Not all in the same year of course. 1 want gift each year.

Meanwhile, friends were receiving TVs and air hockey tables along with a million presents they couldn't even remember opening.

Christmas wasn't about the gifts at our house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter