How Strict Are You With Social Distancing?

My area went into Phase 1 on Friday. For the last two months, the only thing I have done is go to grocery stores, which in some cases felt "unsafe" due to some of the one-lane restrictions or check-out processes they (Wegman's) established. I've always been uneasy with it but ordering from home only proved successful one time.

Even though we went into Phase 1, I thought I wouldn't go anywhere but I was bored yesterday and just decided to drive around to see how things looked. Many stores were still closed (Marshalls/TJMaxx) even though they could have opened. I came upon a SteinMart though. There was no line to get in, not many cars in the parking lot. So I took a chance and shopped. It was quite nice. I think there were three other ladies in the store (BIG store) so I felt comfortable. Checkout seemed safe also, They put a table in front of the checkout desk and so I was about 6 feet from the cashier. I didn't think I *needed* anything but ended up buying several t-shirts and comfy pants to sit around and telework in. I didn't have a lot of that stuff going into this so I guess it was a success.

On Tuesday I go to the dermatologist so that should be interesting.

I can work from home, in fact my office is closed. The only other place I go is the grocery store, and I try to keep six feet away, but it's hard sometimes. I always remember a mask. A few weeks ago my church was doing a drive-up donation drive for the local school district. I think I got within 6 feet of other people then, but I tried to stay back.

And at least in Dallas County, we have some political officials that would be chomping at the bit to report a major spike in cases so they could say "See, I told you we should stay closed."

Well I was down in Frisco the other day and if there isn't a huge spike in cases and deaths in the next few weeks then you'll know how much of a scam this whole thing is. People as a whole are pretty much back to normal. I was expecting to see a lot fewer people out and a lot more masks and people trying to stay away from others but I was pleasantly surprised at how normal everything was.

Attachments

• crowd2.jpg
    crowd2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 29
  • crowd3.JPG
    crowd3.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 27
  • crowd4.jpg
    crowd4.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 28
But you can demand that they choose between returning to work in a high-risk situation and financial ruin. To say that isn't a demand is just splitting hairs.

As is this... There is little practical difference between demanding businesses reopen and demanding businesses, most of whom are owned by people who can decide to reopen with little to no risk to themselves personally, be "allowed" to reopen. Yes, some businesses - mostly those where the owners and/or their own family members work in a hands-on capacity - are choosing to remain closed. But far more are open because the people who own the store can sit safely at home and decide that their employees must put themselves at risk.

You apparently live in a different reality than what it's like where I live. Here people aren't scared to go out in public and they are ready for life to get back to normal. If people choose to stay home then that's their decision but because a minority continue to have an irrational fear isn't cause to shut the rest of society down.

This is what a store looks like here from a picture I took this weekend. If the situation is so "high-risk" then people here will be dropping like flies soon. If not then that kind of trashes the whole theory, wouldn't you say?

Attachments

• crowd4.jpg
    crowd4.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 33

So ... you’re demanding that these various businesses open up and serve you regardless of the potential consequences to the employees or other patrons of those businesses. In other words, those employees are expendable, because as you‘ve said, the herd is going to be culled no matter what. You really don’t care who gets sick, or who gets complications, or who dies ... the most important thing is that these places open up pronto and serve YOU. As long as you’re taken care of, no one else really matters do they?

I'm not demanding anything. It's not my decision for them to open or not open. I haven't spoken to a single business either way and if they open is totally up to them.

If they do open then I'll go if I need/want to and that is MY only decision in the matter.

Not to mention, your argument only holds weight if you've been totally self sufficient this whole time. Are you generating your own elecricity? Have you been gathering your own water? Are you growing and hunting your own food? Are you pumping and refining your own petroleum into gasoline? Have you created your own internet infrastructure so that you can get online and come post here? Or have you been "demanding" all of these workers continue providing your services regardless of the potential consequences to the employees? Do you really care who gets sick or who gets complications or who dies.....or is the most important thing that you continue to be supplied these services to keep you nice and cozy in the comfort of your own home? It's very hard to hold your position without being hypocritical about the entire situation.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to decide if a fear in this case is irrational. Those of us who live in NYC and saw the refrigerated trucks that were parked outside of hospitals for the bodies are not irrationally cautious of anything.

I'm sorry but I do in fact get to have the opinion that it's irrational. You don't have to agree with it and that's fine, I'm not going to argue with you about it because that's your opinion which you're also free to have. I'm not going to denigrate you if you want to wear a mask, gloves, sanitize constantly, stay at home and not go anywhere because those are all your decisions and have zero impact on me which I'm totally cool with. You do you and I'll do me.

You apparently live in a different reality than what it's like where I live. Here people aren't scared to go out in public and they are ready for life to get back to normal. If people choose to stay home then that's their decision but because a minority continue to have an irrational fear isn't cause to shut the rest of society down.

This is what a store looks like here from a picture I took this weekend. If the situation is so "high-risk" then people here will be dropping like flies soon. If not then that kind of trashes the whole theory, wouldn't you say?

I probably do live in a different "reality", so to speak, because I'm on the outskirts of one of the hardest-hit places in the U.S. so a lot of people are very concerned and the images of field hospitals in convention centers and bodies laid out in unused hospital rooms and refrigerated trucks backing up overwhelmed morgues are still pretty fresh. I know most of the country didn't have that experience; even my immediate area never really reached crisis levels, despite being about 50 miles from a major hot spot, but in places where that was the lead story on the evening news and the headline in the paper for weeks, it isn't easy to set aside.

I would never characterize the consequences of a virus with a mortality rate of a fraction of a percent as "dropping like flies" and I certainly hope the data from states that have reopened shows it is safe to do so. But I also won't call people irrational for not being in a big hurry to risk the virus for a $10/hr job when we still don't have good data to calculate the degree of risk, particularly since we haven't really done much to encourage or support those businesses in providing sick leave so that low-wage workers aren't stepping right back into the ordinary reality of going without pay or being fired for calling in if they are experiencing possible symptoms of the virus.

Mitigation, or "staying home" and socially distancing when going out was the only "solution" we were left with given the leadership that we have. Mitigation had to happen so that our hospitals were not completely overrun. It worked. But that also doesn't mean that the virus will not return as we slowly open up in some states...and race to the open in others.

And yes, you are correct, it's not going away. But as a former ICU nurse who speaks to my friends who went through the true surge here in NJ, trust me, you don't want to get the worst version of this virus. If you're younger and lucky enough to survive and get off the ventilator, you're left with scarred lungs...for life. And remdesivir isn't a panacea, and lord knows hydroxychloroquine isn't.

In my immediate family and friend group, we always said the toughest part would be when the lock down ended. I'm starting to see the type of behavior you are seeing all over Texas here in NJ, albeit not quite as widespread.

I have an acquaintance who has decided they "need to get away!". So, she, her 15 year old daughter and her 80 year old mother are heading down to their condo in Boca Raton Florida. They don't have N-95 masks. And they're going to get on what will likely be a packed flight, which is literally the best way to catch this thing....because they're a little stir crazy. I would think that if her Mom gets the virus, and possibly dies, because they somehow feel invincible....well, she's going to feel awfully guilty. Dr. William Schnaffner, head of infectious disease and preventive medicine at Vanderbilt University, who is one of the leading experts in his field said it straight up...."you should not fly if you don't need to travel". Dr. Birx said it's okay to play tennis with "marked tennis balls"....meaning, she's still concerned enough about the transmission of this virus that simply touching another person's tennis ball could transmit the virus.

So, I'm just going to keep listening to those people. Also, I'm old enough to remember when remember when we had 15 cases that "would soon be gone". That it "would just go away in April with the heat". When "we'll have 60,000 cases by August 4th". How our response is actually "an American success story".

Closing in on 105,000 deaths....and counting. If this is an "American Success Story"......we need to redefine what "winning" looks like.
this. EXACTLY. Thank you for saying clearly what I'm thinking also. Not targeting any one person,but as someone who likewise lives in that tri-state "epicenter" I get upset when I read people stating online (and it's everywhere) 'I'm so over this'.
Over what exactly? B/C I do check the CDC site daily,looking at numbers posted. And as I've said before in various places online, 100,000 people (and counting) is NOT nothing...and it's certainly not a figment of someones imagination that we can just decide personally that we're 'so over'.
That's 105,000 dead from March-May,according the CDC. Not even taking into account all the unidentified cases before and since...
So.... it deeply saddens me that folks who figure they haven't seen much in their local town figure it's fine to just do whatever.

I would never characterize the consequences of a virus with a mortality rate of a fraction of a percent as "dropping like flies" and I certainly hope the data from states that have reopened shows it is safe to do so.

When this is all occurring in a metroplex of over 7 million then even at the rate that they are currently estimating you should be seeing a significant amount of deaths shortly. So either we will have a huge influx of cases and deaths in the DFW area or they're going to have to reevaluate the mortality rate again. My son and I went to several large stores on Sunday and it was all the same. Very few masks, virtually no social distancing, basically everything working as "normal". I saw some people I knew, we shook hands basically everything the CDC says not to do was going on everywhere we went.

Remember this whole thing started off at 5%+ mortality rate, then 2% now down to a fraction of a percent now they have no idea how many people have actually been affected. By the time they actually get enough research done this thing might not even have the overall mortality rate as the seasonal flu.

Plus, until there's a vaccine or enough people gain immunity through other means it's never going to be "safe". By people going out and getting sick, it's making going out in public "safer" for the people who decide to remain home. The whole purpose of the lock down was to slow the spread to keep our medical system from being completely overrun which never happened. Hospitals still have rooms, they still have available ventilators. Many of the temporary hospitals saw little to no use. Basically we never ran out of capacity as was predicted.

So what is the point of continuing to stay locked up in your house? I understand if you have immune problems or are at high risk you want to take extra precautions but for everyone else it's as "safe" as it's going to get. For everyone else the odds of getting very sick and/or dying the odds are very, very low. People have to go out and gain immunity to decrease the risk for everyone else.

The people yall are complaining about are actually doing those of you who don't want to take any risks a favor by taking the risks for you and reducing the chance that you'll catch it in the future.

When this is all occurring in a metroplex of over 7 million then even at the rate that they are currently estimating you should be seeing a significant amount of deaths shortly. So either we will have a huge influx of cases and deaths in the DFW area or they're going to have to reevaluate the mortality rate again. My son and I went to several large stores on Sunday and it was all the same. Very few masks, virtually no social distancing, basically everything working as "normal". I saw some people I knew, we shook hands basically everything the CDC says not to do was going on everywhere we went.

Remember this whole thing started off at 5%+ mortality rate, then 2% now down to a fraction of a percent now they have no idea how many people have actually been affected. By the time they actually get enough research done this thing might not even have the overall mortality rate as the seasonal flu.

Plus, until there's a vaccine or enough people gain immunity through other means it's never going to be "safe". By people going out and getting sick, it's making going out in public "safer" for the people who decide to remain home. The whole purpose of the lock down was to slow the spread to keep our medical system from being completely overrun which never happened. Hospitals still have rooms, they still have available ventilators. Many of the temporary hospitals saw little to no use. Basically we never ran out of capacity as was predicted.

So what is the point of continuing to stay locked up in your house? I understand if you have immune problems or are at high risk you want to take extra precautions but for everyone else it's as "safe" as it's going to get. For everyone else the odds of getting very sick and/or dying the odds are very, very low. People have to go out and gain immunity to decrease the risk for everyone else.

The people yall are complaining about are actually doing those of you who don't want to take any risks a favor by taking the risks for you and reducing the chance that you'll catch it in the future.

I'm not one who doesn't want to take any risks. I've been pretty middle of the road on this from the start, and as a general rule I do think summer reopenings are the best possible option - we still don't know much about whether or not this virus might display a seasonality, but we do know that managing it at a time when other seasonal illnesses are at low ebb should be easier for our medical and public health infrastructure. But I also believe that we don't yet have data available to evaluate the risks of reopening, particularly the reopening of settings involving prolonged, indoor, person-to-person contact and until we do, I think we should be taking steps to balance the desire to reopen with workers' ongoing desire to keep themselves and their families/households safe.

I was much more pro-fast-reopening before masks became so politicized, BTW. We know from other countries that masks significantly limit spread, which would offset the potential risks of opening too quickly. But we also know that masks are more effective at protecting others than protecting ourselves, so without widespread adoption, they're not likely to be effective. And when retail workers are being attacked over asking customers to wear them, even in places where state guidelines require them, it is hard to say those workers should get over their fears to go back to serving customers that don't give a moment's care for their safety.

So what is the point of continuing to stay locked up in your house? I understand if you have immune problems or are at high risk you want to take extra precautions but for everyone else it's as "safe" as it's going to get.
I don't necessarily disagree with your assertion about people staying locked up in their homes but whether you are getting out or not getting out your comfort level will always vary. Getting out of the house doesn't mean you go from 0 to 60 either, it can but it doesn't automatically mean that. And the PP has a good point about being an employee. Grappling with one's own comfort level if there is a dissonance between that and your work life can be quite hard on people.

I was much more pro-fast-reopening before masks became so politicized, BTW. We know from other countries that masks significantly limit spread, which would offset the potential risks of opening too quickly. But we also know that masks are more effective at protecting others than protecting ourselves, so without widespread adoption, they're not likely to be effective.
To me some of the resistance comes from mixed messages (which has already been covered a lot on the DIS) but also the shaming aspects (also covered a lot on the DIS).

Ironically when people say "shaming works" they are in contradiction to what most psychologists agree on which is social shaming does little to change actual behaviors at least in the long-term which if you want people to wear masks you need to be able to change their actual behaviors into do so. IMO the memes and miss manners/dear abby letters, the actual confrontations (outside of a security guard/employee enforcing mask rules at a business) citizens have with other citizens, the continual name calling and association with one's choice to be of a moral attribute of a person, etc it doesn't seem to me to be doing much other than make each "side" dig in their heels more.

I do think normalizing on seeing the masks can help those who felt weird wearing them, off with wearing them, felt they would be looked at differently if they wore one, etc. And if that's a reason holding someone back from wearing a mask I could see that being quite helpful.

But it did reach capacity in some areas, and we’ve learned a lot about this virus in the past 3 months, and will keep learning about transmission and treatment.

Here is what I have noticed about people's opinions. The one's that say it's an irrational fear or it's not different then the basic flu, are most likely someone who does not know anyone that had the virus. A few month's ago my boss and I thought alike, and we both thought it was over blown and that it was probably just another version of the flu. Well since then, I had 2 good friends in Michigan that had the virus and after hearing how bad it was, I have a LOT more respect for the virus. They are both in their 50's and in better health then I am and they have had flu's before with body aches, chills etc. Both said it was nothing like anything that they have ever had before. They said the aches were so bad they could not move. They had days where it took all their energy just to breath and this was with oxygen being fed to them. One almost had to be put on a ventilator it got so bad and he said it was the worst 14 days of his life. It was so bad for him that he actually had a Will drawn up, in case he didn't make it. Well, my opinion has changed greatly since then, but even after telling my boss about them, his has not really changed much.
I know if someone would tell my friends that being afraid to get it is "irrational" or it's no different then the flu, they would have some very "choice" words for those people.

I'm not one who doesn't want to take any risks. I've been pretty middle of the road on this from the start, and as a general rule I do think summer reopenings are the best possible option - we still don't know much about whether or not this virus might display a seasonality, but we do know that managing it at a time when other seasonal illnesses are at low ebb should be easier for our medical and public health infrastructure. But I also believe that we don't yet have data available to evaluate the risks of reopening, particularly the reopening of settings involving prolonged, indoor, person-to-person contact and until we do, I think we should be taking steps to balance the desire to reopen with workers' ongoing desire to keep themselves and their families/households safe.

What we do know about the virus is that the majority of those infected have little to no symptoms and we also know the groups that are at the highest risk. If you're younger and healthy then the risk to you is extremely small. Of course there are outliers where young healthy people get extremely sick and/or die but that's true with almost every medical condition. The fact remains, until more people become immune or until a vaccine is developed, if that ever happens at all, it's not going to get any "safer". The virus does not have an expiration date. It's not magically going to suddenly become safe to start doing normal stuff.

I can tell you, if I were to catch it and get extremely sick, I'd much rather it happen right now when the hospitals are empty and there aren't any other things going on than to wait until next fall/winter when everyone is sick with the flu and maybe everyone is sick with this and you show up to the hospital and they put you in the parking lot because there's no room in the building.

I was much more pro-fast-reopening before masks became so politicized, BTW. We know from other countries that masks significantly limit spread, which would offset the potential risks of opening too quickly. But we also know that masks are more effective at protecting others than protecting ourselves, so without widespread adoption, they're not likely to be effective. And when retail workers are being attacked over asking customers to wear them, even in places where state guidelines require them, it is hard to say those workers should get over their fears to go back to serving customers that don't give a moment's care for their safety.

Why do you care about it being politicized? People are the ones who politicize it, the virus doesn't care about politics. It doesn't care if you catch it at the grocery store, a Joe Biden rally or from the food you had delivered to your house that the cook sneezed on that you ate while watching a Trump speech. Most people don't wear/not wear masks because of politics, it's their personal choice depending on their level of acceptable risk. I don't wear one because I perceive the risk of me catching it to be extremely high no matter the precautions while at the same time I perceive the risk of it affecting me negatively in a large way to be extremely low. I fully expect to catch it at some point, if I haven't already and didn't know it, and I've accepted that fact. It has absolutely nothing to do with my political leanings but a person's political leanings are often a good indicator of their behavior in regards to acceptable and perceived risks. However the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Limiting spread does not equal stopping spread, only slowing the spread. Other than total isolation and total independence there is no way to effectively protect yourself. Even in NYC a huge number of cases came from people who stayed home and never left because even if you stay home you're dependent upon someone else to provide for you. Remember this was all to "flatten the curve" not end the curve.

There is no plan, nor is it currently possible, to completely prevent you, I or everybody else from being infected at some point. The virus is most likely NEVER going away and it will continue to infect people until the end of time. The odds that we come up with a completely effective vaccination is extremely small. How long have we been working on flu vaccines and every year they're only about 50% effective? The odds that we completely wipe it out are almost zero.

The time of being "safe" from COVID-19 ended as soon as the first person was infected. The genie is out of the bottle and it's never going back in. That is the current reality now and for the foreseeable future.

What we do know about the virus is that the majority of those infected have little to no symptoms and we also know the groups that are at the highest risk. If you're younger and healthy then the risk to you is extremely small. Of course there are outliers where young healthy people get extremely sick and/or die but that's true with almost every medical condition. The fact remains, until more people become immune or until a vaccine is developed, if that ever happens at all, it's not going to get any "safer". The virus does not have an expiration date. It's not magically going to suddenly become safe to start doing normal stuff.

I can tell you, if I were to catch it and get extremely sick, I'd much rather it happen right now when the hospitals are empty and there aren't any other things going on than to wait until next fall/winter when everyone is sick with the flu and maybe everyone is sick with this and you show up to the hospital and they put you in the parking lot because there's no room in the building.

Why do you care about it being politicized? People are the ones who politicize it, the virus doesn't care about politics. It doesn't care if you catch it at the grocery store, a Joe Biden rally or from the food you had delivered to your house that the cook sneezed on that you ate while watching a Trump speech. Most people don't wear/not wear masks because of politics, it's their personal choice depending on their level of acceptable risk. I don't wear one because I perceive the risk of me catching it to be extremely high no matter the precautions while at the same time I perceive the risk of it affecting me negatively in a large way to be extremely low. I fully expect to catch it at some point, if I haven't already and didn't know it, and I've accepted that fact. It has absolutely nothing to do with my political leanings but a person's political leanings are often a good indicator of their behavior in regards to acceptable and perceived risks. However the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Limiting spread does not equal stopping spread, only slowing the spread. Other than total isolation and total independence there is no way to effectively protect yourself. Even in NYC a huge number of cases came from people who stayed home and never left because even if you stay home you're dependent upon someone else to provide for you. Remember this was all to "flatten the curve" not end the curve.

There is no plan, nor is it currently possible, to completely prevent you, I or everybody else from being infected at some point. The virus is most likely NEVER going away and it will continue to infect people until the end of time. The odds that we come up with a completely effective vaccination is extremely small. How long have we been working on flu vaccines and every year they're only about 50% effective? The odds that we completely wipe it out are almost zero.

The time of being "safe" from COVID-19 ended as soon as the first person was infected. The genie is out of the bottle and it's never going back in. That is the current reality now and for the foreseeable future.
You do realize that wearing a mask doesn’t protect you, but others from you in case you have it (and according to you that could be any time since you think you aren’t at risk of even having symptoms). There are people who died that would’ve lived if medical professionals knew what they know now about treatments.

Here is what I have noticed about people's opinions. The one's that say it's an irrational fear or it's not different then the basic flu, are most likely someone who does not know anyone that had the virus. A few month's ago my boss and I thought alike, and we both thought it was over blown and that it was probably just another version of the flu. Well since then, I had 2 good friends in Michigan that had the virus and after hearing how bad it was, I have a LOT more respect for the virus. They are both in their 50's and in better health then I am and they have had flu's before with body aches, chills etc. Both said it was nothing like anything that they have ever had before. They said the aches were so bad they could not move. They had days where it took all their energy just to breath and this was with oxygen being fed to them. One almost had to be put on a ventilator it got so bad and he said it was the worst 14 days of his life. It was so bad for him that he actually had a Will drawn up, in case he didn't make it. Well, my opinion has changed greatly since then, but even after telling my boss about them, his has not really changed much.
I know if someone would tell my friends that being afraid to get it is "irrational" or it's no different then the flu, they would have some very "choice" words for those people.

Who has said the flu isn't bad? The flu has killed millions upon millions, yet we have tons of people here who refuse to get a flu vaccine every year. It's because we accept that some of us are going to get sick from the flu and some of us are going to die and the media doesn't play it up as something that's going to kill everybody. In reality murder hornets are going to kill everybody.

In some ways COVID is worse than the flu and in other ways it's better. People don't get the flu and feel fine and lots of people who contract COVID do. On the other hand, it makes some people extremely sick, even worse than the flu so on that front it's worse.

That said, it's still comparable to the flu with most likely comparable mortality rates when all the research is said and done.

So which is worse getting sick from COVID-19 and recovering or dying from the flu? So they're different but comparable but still two completely different things.

You do realize that part of WHY the hospitals are empty is because people are being "irrationally" cautious. So this is basically a "let them all stay home because they're scared, I'm gonna keep going out because I'm not but if I do get it, at least there's room for me because some people stayed at home scared" vibe.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to decide if a fear in this case is irrational. Those of us who live in NYC and saw the refrigerated trucks that were parked outside of hospitals for the bodies are not irrationally cautious of anything.
Are y'all still social distancing in NYC?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter