How Strict Are You With Social Distancing?

I haven't gone anywhere except for rides in the car, so I guess my social distancing game is 100%

We did have an incident here at the house where one of our trees fell in a storm. My husband's friend came over yesterday to help him cut it up. That's the first person he has been in contact with since lock down. They both wore masks and work gloves. I was super worried at first because my son is high risk, but the tree was covering our front yard and out into the street. it had to be moved. So thankful my husband had the help of a good friend. Now I'll watch him for 14 days for symptoms because, yes, I'm that paranoid still.

That's exactly what the CDC says: "CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain." It's the politicians and media that have coerced the recommendation into all the time.
Well, then there are people like my wife who accidentally left her mask on while on an outdoor walk away from people and discovered her allergies stopped bothering her. So Spring Time from now on may become mask time for her.

I am still social distancing & masking. Just hearing the news that the states that pretty much have opened nearly fully now have a major uptick in Covid. Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Alabama, Maryland, Mississippi, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, California and Arizona - really is worth your life or infecting loved ones to get a tan or haircut. Very very selfish to me.

If you have to work, as do I & DH, that is one thing but just because you are bored.
If you read my post I did not say FULLY OPENED.

What you said was ---"states that pretty much have opened nearly fully now" --and I replied as I did because Maryland is not fully opened, it is not nearly 'fully opened', it's not really even 1/2 way open yet!

Any uptick is too much if you are the one who gets infected. And if look at people gathering there is no social distancing, people will go right back to old habits. Do the people in FL & Ozarks look like the are distancing, masking, using hand sanitizer, washing hands etc....

I wear a mask when I'm in stores. I try to leave 6 feet between me and other people. I have to continually remind my DH that he's too close to other people. He doesn't mind keeping his distance, he just forgets.

That's exactly what the CDC says: "CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain." It's the politicians and media that have coerced the recommendation into all the time.

So this should mean any time you are going into any business, or in an area where other people are traveling to a business on foot. Where I live, that is all the time. No coercion here.

I would imagine it's space constraints. Most of what you're going to have issues with is in the grocery aisles if you're at a store that has that along with other items (like Walmart and Target) you're not going to have much wiggle room.

Costco I did notice at the one near me pushed their snacks away from near the registers and put clothing items there instead but at a further distance back so they could have several 6ft markers near the checkouts. Costco however has a lot of room to do this.
However, Costco requires all customers to wear masks. Some of these measures may not be seen as needed. Costco reduced how many people could come in with a given membership but has since removed that requirement, they've also increased their hours which were previously reduced. I suspect you'll find differences among stores that have a mask policy and ones that don't. If you require all your customers to wear a mask (which is now tantamount to still keeping distance) you've probably reduced your need to rely on the other aspects.

I would think that the one thing store managers could figure out is that placing large displays in the middle of aisles doesn't help to keep people from getting close to each other.

As for Costco - their locations are uniquely suited for rearranging. They do it all the time. Their racks may be bolted down but they're shifted quite often - at least the ones in the middle of most Costcos. Heck - they have freezers on wheels.

The one thing that has helped is that samples are gone.

I social distance and keep an eye on those around me. I wear a mask if necessary to go into a store but on my walks outside I do not wear a mask. DH does the grocery shopping as I get a bit of anxiety wearing a mask for a longer time. I wash my hands frequently and have hand sanitizer readily available when out. This works for me.

To highlight how people in different areas have different opinions based on location:
https://apple.news/AFbAKSYl1T8qxUA4bBB-f2Q

There was a man with no mask on at my grocery store this morning. He had it around his neck while in the store shopping, so not sure why he had it at all if THAT isn't where he was going to wear it. He ordered from the deli (which, you have to pass very closely to get around and he stood there the whole time waiting for his order instead of stepping out of the way) and he did not wait at the social distancing area when it was time to check out. No one at my store said anything because I guess, pick your battles. The manager saw him but he probably thought the same. You kind of just have to hope people comply, and now and then, you'll get what happened in that store because people lose their patience with idiots every now and then.

But by not following guidelines you could be making that choice for others as well. That 65 year old woman with diabetes who needs to go grocery shopping might be infected by you.

Either I misunderstand the thread title or you misunderstand me I am still social distancing just not being licked in my house 24/7 one of my friends wanted to hug me before class and I told her we could not yet but looking forward to hugging everyone once it is safe again

As for Costco - their locations are uniquely suited for rearranging. They do it all the time. Their racks may be bolted down but they're shifted quite often - at least the ones in the middle of most Costcos. Heck - they have freezers on wheels.
Yes that's why I mentioned Costco. They do it constantly (kinda annoys us since we're always trying to find where something got moved to) but they have so much space to do so. There's a lot of stuff that can be sold at Costco but I'm assuming a heck of a lot more at Walmart (number of variety of items) or other places like that.
I would think that the one thing store managers could figure out is that placing large displays in the middle of aisles doesn't help to keep people from getting close to each other.
But where would those items go? That was my point. Because places that sell a variety of things they don't have near enough space, squeeze here and you just end up making some place smaller elsewhere. Most of those displays that I can assume you're referring to that seem to cause a problem in your area are related to grocery if that's where you're seeing the problems from. On the other side seasonal stuff (like summer things, coolers, storage tubs, etc) don't seem to get near the same traffic flow to begin with.

And sometimes a person may prefer purchasing 2 liters of pop for instance from the display rather than actually go in the aisle so they aren't around people that long. But in all honesty I haven't seen too much issues with those middle displays, in fact they almost act like a nice barrier because at stores like Walmart without them people I think would more crowd that main aisle because there's more space and could stop in the middle with their carts more (because they see more space people can just go around me).

I guess for me I just don't see people getting close together for long enough for it to be a problem (people quickly pass each other) in the main aisle part but maybe you're seeing people just congregate and if that's the case you could mention it to the stores you go to that you see that.

The "must wear a mask" shamers have lost their minds! I have no problem wearing the mask indoors, where almost all, as in, over 99% of all cases of transmission have occurred, or when on private property, but outdoors, walking down the street or on a beach? COME ON! Nobody is getting COVID there. We walked from our house to the beach the other day and, sure enough, got comments going both ways, and we were well over 6' from anyone the whole time and no, they are not required outdoors where I live. Not a lot of comments, just one or two idiots that really don't understand what is going on was enough to spoil an otherwise nice walk. It would really help if the health officials would report WHERE COVID is being spread and to WHOM, but no - can't because of privacy or political pressure or whatever is driving that. It's really turning people against each other for no good reason, that is for certain.

The "must wear a mask" shamers have lost their minds! I have no problem wearing the mask indoors, where almost all, as in, over 99% of all cases of transmission have occurred, or when on private property, but outdoors, walking down the street or on a beach? COME ON! Nobody is getting COVID there. We walked from our house to the beach the other day and, sure enough, got comments going both ways, and we were well over 6' from anyone the whole time and no, they are not required outdoors where I live. Not a lot of comments, just one or two idiots that really don't understand what is going on was enough to spoil an otherwise nice walk. It would really help if the health officials would report WHERE COVID is being spread and to WHOM, but no - can't because of privacy or political pressure or whatever is driving that. It's really turning people against each other for no good reason, that is for certain.
People don’t wear them outside around here.

My son works at Walgreens and they told them not to say anything to costumers about masks etc. because they want the employees to stay safe from violent outbursts.

...after reading some of the responses here, I'm guessing it depends upon what part of the country you reside. It takes me no less than 2-1/2 hours to do a simple run of grocery shopping at [Shop Rite or Stop'n'Shop]. I have my own bags which I don't fill until I return to my vehicle and personally wipe off EVERY SINGLE ITEM with Clorox sanitizing wipes before putting it into a bag. Do I use a mask and gloves? You betcha - it is mandatory in NJ[well, not the gloves necessarily]. You cannot enter any store here without a face covering of some sort - you will not be allowed entrance. Why am I extra careful? Two reasons:
1) an 84-year old diabetic mom
2) a pregnant daughter-in-law in her 1st trimester

I'll do anything to keep my family safe.

IMO, stores have given up on precautionary measures. Have you realized that stores, except for Whole Foods, stopped capping capacity inside? (At least in my area). No more lines in the middle of the day at places I’ve been to. Employees are obviously cautious, but management is now more concerned about sales numbers. Take Costco for example, in the beginning of the shut down, they had barriers at the entrance to physically separate the ingress/egress, lines to limit number of customers inside, employees walking around with signs telling people to distance. Those are now all gone. The only precautionary measures they have now are floor markers to separate customers at checkout lines and the plexiglass between cashier and customer.

As of Sunday, my Costco still had all that.

I'm sorry your walk was spoiled, but seeing you without a mask probably spoiled their walk as well. Part of the challenge of all of this is going to continue to be people not being on the same page. People out hoping for a relaxing walk outside where they do not have to feel anxious might lose that possibility when they see that others are not taking similar precautions. Whether or not that is something you need to consider when you go out is up to you.

I'm sorry your walk was spoiled, but seeing you without a mask probably spoiled their walk as well. Part of the challenge of all of this is going to continue to be people not being on the same page. People out hoping for a relaxing walk outside where they do not have to feel anxious might lose that possibility when they see that others are not taking similar precautions. Whether or not that is something you need to consider when you go out is up to you.
...interesting - good point.

I agree with you on the outside mask wearing. It's puzzling to me. Over the weekend as I was driving around and on a rural (for this area) road with a large shoulder, there were some "amateur" bike riders. They were cycling on the shoulder, all with masks on. Made no sense to me and it looked as if they were having a hard time of it. I see plenty of people out jogging and walking with them on. These are sparsely populated trails not Central Park or anything.

I ventured to WalMart today with my cousin to do some food shopping. I had my mask on, was all ready to do my civic duty and social distance...but almost nobody else was complying. After the third person physically brushed by me I asked to be taken home. I just said I was too tired, but it was really because I was freaked out by everyone's disregard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter