How would you change Castaway Club Levels

Why limit to just the stateroom category? How about totaling up all the costs, including specialty restaurants, shore excursions, gift shop purchases? Perhaps just base it on the total folio at the end of the cruise?

I'm all for that being part of the formula. It should definitely include more than just the number of cruises and/or nights.

I was on the last dcl transatlantic. They had 2 different times that platinum could go to the wdw theatre that had 20 or more cruises and see the costumes and talk to the performers. It was nice. I also think but not positive people in top staterooms were also allowed to go. There were about 30 people who went when we did.

I got a survey from DCL about this very topic after our 8 night southern Caribbean cruise last October. They asked about just about everything that has been mentioned in this thread. They also had you pick what you would like to see the castaway gifts be - and they had some excellent choices!

I agree. Disney is severely lacking when it comes to their loyalty program benefits. Is there a cruise line that provides fewer perks for frequent cruisers?

Well, Viking doesn't even (currently) have tiers-once you've sailed once you're in their (Explorers) club but...all that seems to include is a monetary discount from another booking and an onboard reception during the cruise. The onboard booking lady explained that their CEO (Torstein Hagen) purposefully did not like the loyalty programs other cruise lines offered so his really doesn't have one. That said, laundry is done for free at certain levels and all launderette facilities are free so free laundry is included as well as no upcharge for the specialty restaurants. Other perks, such as embarkation and excursion and specialty dining reservations dates, are based on stateroom type. It's definitely a different program-more of lack of a program, but I kind of like not having to worry about hitting a threshold.

Last edited:

The latest DCL show (4/8/2020) talked about potential changes to the Castaway Club that Disney Cruise Line may think of doing, particularly adding a level above platinum. If you were in charge, what would you do the program in terms of:

a) changing how you get to different levels
b) what perks would you want to see at different levels
--------------------------------------------
Here is some top of mind thoughts, without completely thinking it through... add your own ideas!

a) grandfather past members to a level based on previous program, but going forward use the following (or offer past members the opportunity to switch levels if it makes sense)

Silver - After 10 nights of sailings completed (so one 10-night sailing, two 5-night sailings, one 4-night and two 3-night, etc..)
Gold - After 25 nights of sailings completed
Platinum - After 50 nights of sailings completed
Titanium - After 100 nights of sailings completed
Diamond - After 200 nights of sailings completed

b) potential perks

SilverGoldPlatinumTitaniumDiamond
Early Booking for Activities/Restaurants75 days before90 days before105 days before120 days before135 days before
Early Booking for new sailings1 day2 days3 days4 days5 days
Port ArrivalAssignedChoose from any slots still availableAnytime within 1 hour blockAnytime within chosen 2 hour blockAnytime
Priority Check-in Line and BoardingLine onlyBothBoth
Welcome Back GiftLanyardLanyard and giftLanyard and better giftLanyard, gift, and stateroom food or drinkLanyard, gift, stateroom food, and drink
Onboard ReceptionXX
Special Shopping Opportunities/DiscountsX, no discountplus 10% discplus 20% disc
Complimentary DinnerPaloPalo or RemyPalo and Remy
Complimentary Port AdventureX
Well, I like the proposal (I'd already be Diamond!!!). But this has been discussed before:
https://disboards.com/threads/any-t...vels-and-future-possible-adjustments.3749315/
https://disboards.com/threads/perks-you-would-like-to-see-as-a-platinum-member.3691584/
https://disboards.com/threads/new-castaway-club-level.3576029/
All that said, DCL (or any other cruiseline) can set their loyalty club levels any way they like. It's not a right, it's a gift.

Disney may have to review their tiering after they are back to cruising, and the new ships are online. Right now we as customers are at their mercy insofar as what crumbs they throw us. In the future that may not be the case. As a cruiser on over 25 DCL cruises, and only one 3 nighter and one 4 nighter I feel the present setup is unfair. However that may change as the whole cruising industry has been flipped on it's head.

Disney may have to review their tiering after they are back to cruising, and the new ships are online. Right now we as customers are at their mercy insofar as what crumbs they throw us. In the future that may not be the case. As a cruiser on over 25 DCL cruises, and only one 3 nighter and one 4 nighter I feel the present setup is unfair. However that may change as the whole cruising industry has been flipped on it's head.

I agree. The program the OP talked about was one that I saw as well. The main point was that when DCL starts cruising again many potential new cruisers may shy away from cruising for a long time...maybe until a vaccine is available. The discussion was its the hard core DCL fans and repeat cruisers that may save DCL when they start sailing again....that rabid fan base. In that case it would help even more if they enticed those repeat cruisers with new perks and new levels.

I also would be Diamond if they did it by nights or cruises. Funny...years ago I a was a steadfast "only # of cruises should count" but now I lean more to # of nights or a combo of nights/cruises. I don't it think it should just be based on dollars spent.

I would love a perk to be a wine package or an alcoholic drinks beverage, even a Cove Café credit, maybe some onboard credit. I don't do the spa but I could see people maybe wanting a spa credit or Bingo credit. Maybe free brunch AND dinner at Palo or Remy.

MJ

I'm not a fan of the Loyalty programs for cruising. I think people start expecting and demanding different things when in fact it's a nice gesture but I don't cruise to earn rewards. For the record, I am platinum.

I love, love, love the way Viking handles it all. Mr Hagen certainly figured it out right. Everyone is treated equal when you walk through those doors. No lanyards of different colors. No concierge levels. They get my money from now on.

anyo
I don't it think it should just be based on dollars spent.

MJ

While I agree that the OP’s speculative program looks like a good start it probably needs some adjustments.

Also don’t think that as criteria (# of nights, stateroom category, etc.) are all viable options. Since airlines use dollars spent combined with a second value like miles or segments, it is quite possible that DCL does something similar. Also wonder if they might consider a re-qualify time like MSC.

I'm not a fan of the Loyalty programs for cruising. I think people start expecting and demanding different things when in fact it's a nice gesture but I don't cruise to earn rewards. For the record, I am platinum.

I love, love, love the way Viking handles it all. Mr Hagen certainly figured it out right. Everyone is treated equal when you walk through those doors. No lanyards of different colors. No concierge levels. They get my money from now on.

100% Agree, I'd love to see DCL get rid of the loyalty program all together.

We like the idea of a loyalty program but it definitely needs another level or 2

I'm remembering the vicious fight that broke on our social media group when a lot of activities (including character breakfast, all brunches, and drink tastings) became sold out at the booking day for gold (or was it platinum? can't remember now). It just turned really nasty, with newer cruisers accusing the higher-status cruisers of "gloating" when they posted about how happy they were with all the stuff they got before it sold out, and the higher status cruisers feeling "bullied" and replying they had a right to celebrate because they earned their status.

It just left a sour taste in my mouth, and I don't think either side was being very gracious to the other. But I wish DCL didn't make it such a zero sum game where cruisers with status get things others can't. (On that note, I wish they'd just make more inventory available before the cruise instead of holding back for onboard booking--it really is nuts how fast everything sells out online and creates a lot of unneeded stress).

But basically, I don't think more perks at the expense of others (e.g., best PATs go to higher status; reserved seating at the pool or theater; exclusive access to certain restaurants) is the way to go with Disney cruises. It makes people bitter and feel like second-class citizens.

Instead, I am all in favor of perks that are nice, but have zero impact guests with no status. Free popcorn or coffee, credit toward shore excursions, future cruise discounts, a boozy reception (somewhere out of sight of other cruisers), maybe a nice gift in the room like bottled water or chocolates, free internet or laundry. Just no stuff that makes others feel like they are missing out.

Instead, I am all in favor of perks that are nice, but have zero impact guests with no status. Free popcorn or coffee, credit toward shore excursions, future cruise discounts, a boozy reception (somewhere out of sight of other cruisers), maybe a nice gift in the room like bottled water or chocolates, free internet or laundry. Just no stuff that makes others feel like they are missing out.
I agree. We cruised in January on one of the southern itineraries and it was very popular with gold and platinum cruisers. Pretty much everything was sold out before we even got a crack at it as silver cruisers. And it left a bad taste in my mouth that we couldn't get all of us booked for a princess gathering. I feel like they need to do more slots for things like that so that everyone who wants to participate can. And it would be even more frustrating to have more levels above us taking things that I think should be table stakes on a disney cruise.

I've always disagreed with the way they calculate Castaway Cay levels. To me number of nights seem the most fair. A 2 night San Diego cruise should not count the say way a 14 day Panama Canal cruise counts.

Any extra perks are always great. I'm always a fan of discounts.

I've always disagreed with the way they calculate Castaway Cay levels. To me number of nights seem the most fair. A 2 night San Diego cruise should not count the say way a 14 day Panama Canal cruise counts.

Any extra perks are always great. I'm always a fan of discounts.
I like the cruise lines that use a combination of sail days and number of cruises to figure the levels. On Holland America they also include onboard purchases of $300 = 1 day of cruising. But I don't like when they also include whether you've booked a suite or not (that doubles the credit). Just because someone books a suite doesn't make them more loyal than someone who can't afford that.

Why limit to just the stateroom category? How about totaling up all the costs, including specialty restaurants, shore excursions, gift shop purchases? Perhaps just base it on the total folio at the end of the cruise?

HAL does this. Your onboard spending converts to nights that count toward your Mariner level. This is why after three seven-night cruises I am just shy of being a three-star mariner. I would love to see DCL do the same.

There seems to be a lot of disagreement on this as usual. Its always funny because the people who prefer the longer cruises are traditionally upset that a shorter cruise still counts as "1". I personally couldn't imagine a 14 night cruise. Heck, a 7 night cruise on the Fantasy was too long for my taste. (There were multiple issues with the cruise, but I digress)

I would like to see additional tiers added to the program with extra benefits just like most everyone else. I feel like the reality of "making it about money" although that is traditionally Disney's attitude about things leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. Especially concerning the current economic situation.

Lets face it, if you really want it to be about money, just book concierge and you get to set up all your port adventures/activities before everyone else anyway. In my mind, that's one of the very few benefits of concierge in the first place. I have no need to spend that extra money personally.

If they do decide to make any updates to the Castaway Club Program, I would expect that it would fall in line with the number of nights you cruise as this is more "industry standard". (IE: Royal Caribbean) and I understand that. Makes sense in my mind and I wouldn't disagree with the choice even though I like shorter cruises.

One other thing no one has brought up yet: They would have to create new infrastructure around all these changes in their computer systems to support adjustments in the program. As multiple people have mentioned, DCL seems to be going more on the route of attracting first time cruisers than trying to attract return guests.

With new ships coming soon, they attract both new and returning guests. I would expect that they would turn more towards the mission of getting the new ships set up to book in the various technologies rather than changing the castaway club changed to a new format considering the extra money and time that would take. It would be far easier to add new perks to the existing levels (Free Coffee, Wifi Credits, Free Laundry, Etc.) than to change the way the system runs all together.

This is interesting. So we have sailed on 28 cruises totaling 160 days. We are older adults and slowing down.
We just have the 7 night DREAM on Nov 1, 2020. After that who knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter