I just booked an October 2020 Cruise as a Gamble

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are booked on the sailing right before yours. We've been booked since opening day. The writing has been on the wall for this cruise since the Wonder left CA in June and transited through the PC. It's all we can talk about in our cruise group, how our cruise is NOT going to sail, did anyone book a Fall 2021 cruise as replacement, WHEN will we find out it's cancelled etc. I don't think anyone in our group thinks it will sail now ( I certainly don't).

I get that. But, really, you think that cruise is going to happen? I don't.
I'm booked on the same cruise and have no doubt that it will be cancelled, but I can't blame others for thinking it might sail, given that DCL is still actively selling it, which is actually quite dishonest on DCL's part. They themselves absolutely have to know it won't sail, but they're still selling it. That's a bit shady.

I booked a late November sailing this year. I am hopeful, but we booked alternative plans, pixiedust:just in case

Unless the Wonder is going to be put into drydock in Freeport (only one closest to the ship currently) for Covid-19 reconfiguration/adaptation I kind of think since she is sheltering in the Gulf of Mexico currently that she might head for Galveston to wait out the fall. But she could very well return to Port Canaveral to bide her time until the begin re-crewing when and if that time ever comes this year. But heading back thought the Panama Canal for fall West Coast sailings makes no sense whatsoever since they would be paying for 2 complete round trip transit tolls in one year, which is a hefty chunk of change for any corporation to shoulder.

Need a title change. Gamble implies some chance of a good outcome. There is 0 chance this will sail. There is a better chance you will be offered 125% but I dont know if Id put that in a win category. DCL sets the pricing and it seems for new releases that extra 25% is being rolled into the pricing structure. Many people are hard pressed to find a comparable cruise, in a time frame thats actually likely to sail, without plunking down more money. Granted it has happened for some but we will see if those sailings actually happen and I doubt pricing is the same now as when they got in. Your best bet at this point is to take the refund when offered in a few weeks and be thankful you only made DCL a loan for a few weeks.

I mean, there are some pretty good prices for this October right now so if you've got the extra money you're willing to put down odds are you're going to get a 25% increase on your funds in a couple of weeks towards another cruise. It isn't really that big of a gamble. You're basically just taking advantage of Disney still offering those for sell even though there is a 99.9% chance they won't happen

In exchange he'll get an additional 25% to spend on another cruise he wants, so he still comes out far ahead given today's interest rates.

I think that is EXACTLY what the OP was hoping. I mean you won't get that much interest on a 2 month loan anywhere. put in 10grand get back $12500. That is a pretty good return. Especially if OP was planning on a cruise next year.

Death, taxes and your cruise getting cancelled. If what's happening in Norway is any indication of things to come, it's going to be a long time before cruise lines are operational again.

Death, taxes and your cruise getting cancelled. If what's happening in Norway is any indication of things to come, it's going to be a long time before cruise lines are operational again.
Yeah, I agree.

I'm pretty sure that's why DCL is leaving these fall cruises on the website available for booking even though they have no crews (so no chance of sailing). It's a revenue stream for them. Keep in mind we're past PIF for a lot of these cruises up to November, so DCL is getting to keep the full enchilada and not just a deposit. If you're paid in full they do not auto-refund like they do a deposit when you're cruise is cancelled. So they get to hold onto your whole cruise price for up a year or more if you re-book when they get around to cancelling. Which is business on their part but cold blooded to the few people still out there who do not keep up with things and book fall cruises thinking they are going to go.

I'm pretty sure that's why DCL is leaving these fall cruises on the website available for booking even though they have no crews (so no chance of sailing). It's a revenue stream for them. Keep in mind we're past PIF for a lot of these cruises up to November, so DCL is getting to keep the full enchilada and not just a deposit. If you're paid in full they do not auto-refund like they do a deposit when you're cruise is cancelled. So they get to hold onto your whole cruise price for up a year or more if you re-book when they get around to cancelling. Which is business on their part but cold blooded to the few people still out there who do not keep up with things and book fall cruises thinking they are going to go.
DCL refunds if requested (if cruise is cancelled). You dont have to accept a rebook.

@JoshF before you accept 125% future booking, make sure you do the math and that it will be worth it. Several people have posted that they couldn't get the same cruise in the same room type without having to pay more because DCL raises the fare so often.

@JoshF before you accept 125% future booking, make sure you do the math and that it will be worth it. Several people have posted that they couldn't get the same cruise in the same room type without having to pay more because DCL raises the fare so often.
And seems to be starting from a higher Day 1 cost for next year. That fall 2021 release seems to have been delayed not only because of "these unprecedented times!" but also to reprice everything to account for all the 125% vouchers.

Yes, but if someone was going to book another DCL cruise for later anyway, isn't it still a 'win' to have the extra 25% ?????? I'm a history major, not a math major, but that makes sense to me....just sayin'.

If there's a 25% extra offer to rebook, I'll rebook in a heartbeat.

The person I quoted said no refund offer was given. Beyond all that...

And seems to be starting from a higher Day 1 cost for next year. That fall 2021 release seems to have been delayed not only because of "these unprecedented times!" but also to reprice everything to account for all the 125% vouchers.

@ShuckyDarn1955 it is only maybe worth it if you are going on another DCL next summer or later no matter what. Even then there are some risks and drawbacks. For instance, my crystal ball is broken so I could not predict what a wacky year 2020 was going to be. All of my travel plans have been blown to smithereens and I'm still a little shaky about making plans for me and whomever else I might be booked with this year (since FCC cannot be transferred to other people). But I definitely wouldnt be rebooking before late spring next year because it seems that when you are on a second rebook things get way murkier if there is another cancellation.

A year ago we booked Adventures By Disney on Rhine River in October. Not yet cancelled. Not sure if domestic trips are being looked at differently. Yes, Disney has our $$$. However, we have been told if trip cancels we can get all 2020 $$$ back ASAP. A few weeks ago, we placed a refundable deposit for exact same trip in 2021 incase 2020 sailing is cancelled. We will take refunded 2020 $$$ and pay for 2021. Either way we ensured trip for this year or next. No fault of Disney to have all this jockeying of plans etc. They know nothing more than we do about therapeutics and vaccines. The folks we have talked to have been great. Also - in a month - we may choose to cancel 2020 even if Disney does not and are assured all $$$ refunded to use in 2021. (Our only complication will be Delta Air as they have no change fees at the moment only through September 30. I feel confident they will work with us if we cancel or Disney cancels.) We were told when we called to place cruise deposit for next year that others have done the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter