I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many days? Would you spend $900 on foood? I just stayed at CSR I didn’t pay for a preferred room but we were in building 4 right by bus stop 2 which was the first stop for the parks. We didn’t mind it. I really thought the internal bus system would be annoying, but it really wasn’t an issue and I’d stay at CSR again. Way better than pop in my opinion.

We will be there for 8 nights. We would more than likely spend that much on food.

The reason I was thinking preferred at CSR is because I've read multiple times that it's so large that the experience is much better staying preferred.

Just lowered my Chase business credit limits and want input on my application speed (in the eyes of this board at least) before I try for my second CIP:

Overall: 4/24
Chase Cards:
02/17 CSR
02/18 Disney
03/18 Freedom
06/18 CIP
12/18 CIC

Am I going too fast or does this seem ok to apply? I don't want to rush, but also don't want to risk my relationship with Chase as I plan to keep my personal cards for the foreseeable future. Thanks!

You might find this comment helpful as some general "velocity/pacing" guidelines. You are absolutely fine with your pacing :)

I agree that we don't want to cause a panic here - but I think that those of us who like to hand out advice, we should be careful with the pacing recommendations again. The worst thing we can do to a newbie is get them shutdown for application velocity. These are obviously two isolated incidents but I would probably continue to recommend the following timelines (or caution somebody if they desire to move faster). I'd rather they move faster because THEY want to and they know the risks vs. me being the cause of a shutdown:
  • minimum 2 months between applications of 2 Chase Personal Cards (only exception would be a modified double dip which requires two cards in 2 days - and in that instance I would attempt to have a "quiet" credit report for the preceding 3-4 months)
  • minimum 3 months between applications of 2 Chase Biz Cards
  • minimum 2 months between applications of a Chase Biz Card (first) and a Chase Personal card (second)
  • Ideally a minimum 3 month "quiet" period before any Chase business application (2 months potentially ok though)
  • You also want to watch how many other issuer applications you're putting in and what inquiries that is putting out there. AMEX seems to sometimes not do a hard pull which is nice. EXAMPLE: You may want to exercise caution applying for a Chase card with inquiries from AMEX, Citi and Wells Fargo in the past 3 weeks...
  • Watch out for showing high balances on your credit report - consider paying down cards early (especially in the weeks preceding an application)
  • Keep in mind that Chase can see ALL personal cards you applied for. Don't go hog wild with 4 new cards from other issuers and then think they'll be perfectly fine to give you another card (we don't have anybody here that really appears to be doing that)
  • It still does not seem that TOTAL Chase cards plays any role in this, I have 7 open Chase cards and my wife has 10 and I don't have a lot of worry there.
  • I would continue to reduce Credit Limits and keep them at a reasonable level - it's harder to be a "huge credit risk" if I don't have large limits that I could rack up and "bust-out" on...
Just some scattered thoughts - I don't think Shutdown risk is any higher than it was before, But I also don't think the risk ever went away. Just continue to play the game safely! Even though the majority of people can get reinstated on a shutdown...you just don't want the hassle of going through it!

I'm guessing the key words for WI were soda and bubbler! Any similarities there?
I did say soda. Grew up hearing pop from my parents, but no one in CT knew what that was! But because I drink diet pepsi, I would not say coke if I meant a soda. But I have no clue what a bubbler is!

FTFY @palhockeymomof2. ;)

@shairpdrh — I agree that your velocity is perfectly fine to go for CIP#2 now. If anything, I’d say you’re moving too slow with Chase. :tiptoe: Just make sure your credit lines are in check, because that’s the other major factor affecting approval odds.
I love this!!! hahahaha!! Get some more cards @shairpdrh - only half kidding :P

First I'd like to say 'thanks' for the news section on reddit...since I'm struggling to keep up daily here (IRL super busy) I love the quick check I can do for anything noteworthy..... second- a while back I got an offer to re-sign up for costco membership using autorenew, and they offered a $20 gc.....I still haven't gotten a gc for that, any info from someone here on that offer?

I signed up for that auto-renewal offer last summer (end of May). I got my $20 gc a few weeks later...sometime within the standard 4-6 wk waiting period - can't remember the exact dates anymore. Not sure if it mattered, but I signed up in-store and it was for auto-renewal of an executive membership.

I love this!!! hahahaha!! Get some more cards @shairpdrh - only half kidding :P
:idea: I will consider moving faster in the future! Player 2 has also been getting cards and I have hit Amex business cards hard, so MSR is a factor. I lowered CLs today, so I am almost ready to apply.

You might find this comment helpful as some general "velocity/pacing" guidelines. You are absolutely fine with your pacing :)

Thanks! I tried to find that comment, but my search was unsuccessful.

Last edited:

The 150000 bonus just hit my hilton account, after upgrading the hilton honors card to the ascend. :cheer2: And now there's another 150000 upgrade offer to the aspire. Very tempting, but I'm not sure I want another high fee card at this time. Maybe if I had some plans to stay at a hilton in the near future...

So now I'm without an MSR, which feels weird. I think i'm 4/24. I don't have any concrete travel plans or long term card plans. SW fliers, for the most part. Going to go for CP at the end of the year for DH (Mine expires this year). Possibly go to CA next summer and Hawaii the one after. DH has the freedom, we usually just about hit the quarterly bonus, but probably wouldn't on two cards. Maybe CIU? URs are most valuable to me, but maybe time to diversify? AA?

This is my count:
IHG 5/17
Amex hilton honors 7/17, upgraded to Ascent 2/19
SW (one of the personals) 1/18, closed 2/19
SW Biz 7/18
Amex SPG biz 8/18
CSR 9/18
CIP Biz 11/18
also have older Disney and Amazon

Any thoughts?

We will be there for 8 nights. We would more than likely spend that much on food.

The reason I was thinking preferred at CSR is because I've read multiple times that it's so large that the experience is much better staying preferred.

Id stick with POR then.

I could try to use a military discount rate at Disneyland, but I really don't want to pay out of pocket. We have Hilton points and could use those as well, but if I could get Disneyland hotels for free on points---that would be a major incentive for me!

Ok, I wanted to share the ILs final cruise numbers for fun.

Total Cost: $6642.49 for 3 adults in one room.
$644.50 on Arrival Plus (not using points on this), 2x$300 CSR credits from ILs CSRs, $5397.99 in gift cards which had a cash cost of $4466.29 (17.26% off). We will get back a $570 Costco Cash Card plus another 2% for being executive members, so ~$129 there.

Total Net Cost: $4412 or ~66% of face value

GC savings are mostly from using the AMEX Lowe's/Staples offers to get VGCs and then taking them to Best Buy for the Swagbucks promo, Discover's grocery quarter, fuel points from Kroger, and some Happy Guy GC deals from Safeway which saved us some cash on groceries. Overall, it could have been better, but I wasn't ready to start floating all that money on their fare when we have our own GC float plus other money goals, when I was pretty sure BILs wouldn't pay us until the end anyways. Pay in Full date is next Monday, but apparently Costco's was yesterday (I didn't realize until I called Saturday to use my gift cards :rolleyes1). BILs have been notified of what their share is, but I keep asking DH if we can give them crap because Aunt knew about the trip for maybe 3 months and has already paid her share :P

On that note, Aunt’s share was $2068. She paid the difference between the original reservation and what it cost to add her, and that includes tips. We're using our URs (or SW RRs really) to cover her flight, even though when we tried to tell her that she argued and told us we should save them for ourselves. So we just told her that we booked flights and everything for everyone together so that $2068 includes her flight:rolleyes1And also hotel/transportation - even though those costs increased like $20 for one night in the Disney hotel room and the rest are the same so we're not adding that to her cost lol.

My plan for the cash from the GC savings (~$930) is to see how far I can stretch it before the trip. Then ILs and Aunt will get that as extra spending money plus to cover the cruise tips and a meal at Palo (~$380 total, so anything past that is extra spending money).

Last edited:
A what?! Never heard it called that. We don't have them in my area, but I've heard it referred to as a service road or an access road.

You don't say y'all in Texas?!

We don't have feeder roads in CO either. I still miss them!

Texans do say y'all but my dh didn't move there until he was 10 and then he lived in Dallas, which is a bit less 'Texan'. So, he just never picked up on many of the words and phrases Texans use.

The 150000 bonus just hit my hilton account, after upgrading the hilton honors card to the ascend. :cheer2: And now there's another 150000 upgrade offer to the aspire. Very tempting, but I'm not sure I want another high fee card at this time. Maybe if I had some plans to stay at a hilton in the near future...

So now I'm without an MSR, which feels weird. I think i'm 4/24. I don't have any concrete travel plans or long term card plans. SW fliers, for the most part. Going to go for CP at the end of the year for DH (Mine expires this year). Possibly go to CA next summer and Hawaii the one after. DH has the freedom, we usually just about hit the quarterly bonus, but probably wouldn't on two cards. Maybe CIU? URs are most valuable to me, but maybe time to diversify? AA?

This is my count:
IHG 5/17
Amex hilton honors 7/17, upgraded to Ascent 2/19
SW (one of the personals) 1/18, closed 2/19
SW Biz 7/18
Amex SPG biz 8/18
CSR 9/18
CIP Biz 11/18
also have older Disney and Amazon

Any thoughts?

Since URs are valuable to you, I would stick with the Chase UR cards, while you are 4/24.
You could go for the CIU, CIC or a 2nd CIP..with self referral

So, I spent a big chunk of last night trying to bring up the AA dummy booking offer of 60k/3k/$200 statement credit. Can only get the 40k/2k/$200 credit. Does anyone know if the higher offer is available on personal cards, or is that just for the biz card?

Ok, I wanted to share the ILs final cruise numbers for fun.

Total Cost: $6642.49 for 3 adults in one room.
$644.50 on Arrival Plus (not using points on this), 2x$300 CSR credits from ILs CSRs, $5397.99 in gift cards which had a cash cost of $4466.29 (17.26% off). We will get back a $570 Costco Cash Card plus another 2% for being executive members, so ~$129 there.

Total Net Cost: $4412 or ~66% of face value

GC savings are mostly from using the AMEX Lowe's/Staples offers to get VGCs and then taking them to Best Buy for the Swagbucks promo, Discover's grocery quarter, fuel points from Kroger, and some Happy Guy GC deals from Safeway which saved us some cash on groceries. Overall, it could have been better, but I wasn't ready to start floating all that money on their fare when we have our own GC float plus other money goals, when I was pretty sure BILs wouldn't pay us until the end anyways. Pay in Full date is next Monday, but apparently Costco's was yesterday (I didn't realize until I called Saturday to use my gift cards :rolleyes1). BILs have been notified of what their share is, but I keep asking DH if we can give them crap because Aunt knew about the trip for maybe 3 months and has already paid her share :P

On that note, Aunt’s share was $2068. She paid the difference between the original reservation and what it cost to add her, and that includes tips. We're using our URs (or SW RRs really) to cover her flight, even though when we tried to tell her that she argued and told us we should save them for ourselves. So we just told her that we booked flights and everything for everyone together so that $2068 includes her flight:rolleyes1And also hotel/transportation - even though those costs increased like $20 for one night in the Disney hotel room and the rest are the same so we're not adding that to her cost lol.

My plan for the cash from the GC savings (~$930) is to see how far I can stretch it before the trip. Then ILs and Aunt will get that as extra spending money plus to cover the cruise tips and a meal at Palo (~$380 total, so anything past that is extra spending money).

That's a pretty awesome savings! How many nights is the cruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter