I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up after putting everything away from my week long WDW trip. I just wanted to mention how much I love my Priority Pass card!

Between the travel credit and two lounge visits this past trip with at least two more trips coming up before my anniversary, the CSR has definitely paid for itself :)
Oh I didn't do that well trying mine out this past trip.... I did manage to get into the Lounge at BOS for a few minutes before one flight... got a few snacks and drinks to take with us so that was pleasant. On our way back at 2:30 pm it was waitlist only.... at LAX no one in my party wanted to stick around and try anything,and then it was 4 am and time to get on our next flight....(I'm a PP loser lol)

Anyone have advice for a good way to keep track of hotel points? I'm having a tough time figuring out some hilton bonuses I see on my acct.- it would be a lot simpler if I could see from what card I got which bonuses but with traveling this month I got really distracted...trying to figure out where a 60k welcome bonus came from along with a 10k card bonus points is from.... any good way to sort thru these? BTW what does it mean on the Hilton page 'bonus points' or points on eligible spend?

Well, here’s hoping you don’t get the spark approved. Even being a business card, Cap one and discover biz still show up on credit reports whereas BOA, chase, Barclays, amex, us Bank, etc do not.

I’m also going to go against the grain of everyone in this thread. Yes, CIP is good and you should get it, but you need to set your sights significantly higher with that level of spend. I do about 35-40k/mo through my company and the most important thing for you is diversity and spreading it out amongst many banks as you’ll spend faster than you can get cards.

Amex Business Platinum should be your must have. I’ll dig up a phone number for a rep and PM you it. You should get a 100k/$10k offer. Additionally, you can still triple dip the travel credit if you apply ASAP and get grandfathered in at the $450 annual fee to boot. You can both get this card.

2nd, as mentioned, a CIP. The second you get it in hand, refer DH (or vice versa).

That eats up $30k right there. If you have a minimum of 4 year credit card history, get a citi AA Biz each as well for each of you- there’s another $8k.

We’ll chat again in a month and have a ton more cards to get then.

That all said- please read this before doing anything:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c...ertext&utm_name=churning&utm_content=t5_2vrf0

This hobby is fun and it’s incredibly rewarding. But it does have pitfalls. If you aren’t extremely disciplined and organized, it can bite you in the ***. You also have to fight against the natural psychology change that spending money = points = points are good. So spending money = good. You cannot change your spending habits. At all. If you do, you lose.

You can start out slow, but if I’m you, I jump in with both feet.

With that, welcome and you’re in a fantastic position.

Thank you @Andysol that was very helpful! I'm off to read the link you posted and research the Amex Business Platinum. And yes, I need to watch that I don't spend for points, and keep to my budgets! I so appreciate everyone's advice on this thread!

2019 Goals/Plans:
Get SW CP for DH - should get it in January
Family trip in June - still no official word (or cash :sad2:) from BILs on if they are joining*
Weekend trips throughout year -
Disney - DH wants to do Festival of the Arts, I want to do Flower and Garden, maybe something in August before our APs expire (9/2... so maybe Labor Day again)
Other - Maybe Tampa for Busch Gardens or Cleveland for Cedar Point, maybe ABQ for Hot Air Balloon festival, maybe New Orleans​
Work on some Bank Bonuses to help lessen OOP travel expenses
Start with MRs...

Late 2019/Early 2020: tentative Europe trip - hoping to iron out details soon, plan for two week-ish trip with the thought that either DH makes his big sales he has going now and can take more 'unofficial' time off (ie not using PTO... this has already been floated around with his boss and would be okay), or we have new jobs and tell them we already have this trip planned and can take unpaid time off if needed. I've been subconsciously hoarding my Marriott points for it - we should have ~450k after my 50k for one purchase upgrade offer points post (hopefully in the next day or two since my statement with the purchase just closed). But I figure I should get this in while I have Platinum status for probably the only time ever.

*one keeps using his cat as an excuse for everything... don't take this the wrong way, because I am an enormous animal lover. He has a diabetic cat. Him and his wife never go anywhere together because of the cat. The last two times they did was their wedding weekend last April, and their honeymoon last summer. Family who had volunteered to watch the cat (both times) STOPPED GIVING THE CAT HIS INSULIN SHOTS because he hid/bit them (though the jury is out on if he actually bit them)... that alone I cannot comprehend. You volunteered to watch the cat... knowing it needed shots... worst case scenario where you're having trouble giving them you need to contact the owner and see if you can take it somewhere, like say, to the vet clinic the cat normally goes to? Anyways, both times they spent 10x what it would have cost to board the cat because when they came back he was crashing from not getting his insulin and they ended up with big vet bills. With a two week honeymoon, they didn't know if the cat was going to make it after everything but luckily he pulled through. After the wedding weekend I told DH they needed to just board the cat over the honeymoon... but that's expensive. Less expensive than the vet bill they ended up with! Now for this trip he says no one will board him because he's diabetic... I have trouble believing that none the 20-odd boarding places within 5 miles of their house will board a diabetic cat. Or their vet clinic or another clinic nearby. Or even, have something set up with a clinic where the person watching the cat could just bring him by twice a day for his shots (I've worked in clinics that do this kind of thing). The biggest reason this all gets to me is he is now saying that maybe his wife wouldn't come because of the cat... which would save a bit on the trip like flights and activities, but the big things namely cruise and hotel are all double occupancy rates anyways. So I just worry that in 3 months or so he's gonna be like, oh we decided that it was too much for just one person to go (because we wouldn't spend an extra $250 to board our cat for the week) which will mean I end up here posting a whole line of :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Sorry, Microbiology major with a passion for animals. It means that on the short list of things I get really worked up over are vaccinations for pets and kids, and people taking proper care of their pets (which to me is food, love, care, and sucking it up to pay for things like boarding/vaccinations/health check ups). It drives me crazy when people say things like, oh it's too expensive to give that vaccine... ugh why do they charge an exam fee when they are just giving a shot... etc etc. Because your pet can't have the vaccine if they're already sick... they might get the disease you're trying to prevent! Pets can be costly and I get that sometimes people run into hard times and things, so it's more people that I know more about their situation that annoy me... "that would be an additional $50 to do" (every 3 years... that's less than $1.50 a month :headache:), my boss just did a $100k remodel on her home, but can't spend $100 more a year on dog food "that would be so much better for dog, but it's too expensive," or MIL not getting all vaccinations/letting the rabies vax lapse because it's hard/expensive to take the dogs in... and I'm thinking, you have wild animals that carry these diseases in your backyard at least once a week!!! BIL saying boarding the cat is soooo expensive, though it would easily fit in their budget, then complaining about the vet bill after? No sympathy.

Ok, I'm also big on preventative care for people and animals. So.... If any of you don't go to your yearly checkups for health/dental/vision stuff, go now!!! *steps off soap box* :rotfl:

MIL not getting all vaccinations/letting the rabies vax lapse because it's hard/expensive to take the dogs in... and I'm thinking, you have wild animals that carry these diseases in your backyard at least once a week!!! BIL saying boarding the cat is soooo expensive, though it would easily fit in their budget, then complaining about the vet bill after? No sympathy.

That would drive me nuts, too! Seriously, have you ever watched anything/one you love dying from a preventable disease because you were selfish/stupid? If not, consider yourself lucky. If so, do you really want to repeat that experience? Ugh.

I have four (of my own) and often foster dogs. As some might know :o, I also love to travel. Boarding (for 2) and dog sitting (for the other 2) are the expenses I factor into any trip (and yes, they are high). But I view my pets as furry toddlers who don't need diapers, don't throw temper tantrums (well the diva acts out occasionally!) and will never ask me to pay for college. Knock on wood, only one of mine has a chronic condition (a congenital heart defect) and the dog sitter knows if she becomes ill then I'll pay whatever vet bills are incurred. While I sort of feel for your BIL, I suspect he doesn't want to board the cat, not that there aren't perfectly competent vet boarding facilities available. In three months, I hope you aren't out $$ if he backs out.:sad1:

In three months, I hope you aren't out $$ if he backs out.:sad1:
Hopefully not. Everything really is separately booked, minus splitting the costs of ILs cruise. Though we've received no money for that so far from either BIL. It's more that:
1. We started talking about this trip last Fall after our wedding, so this is not a new thing. I mean, a full 20 months before the trip and 14 months before Christmas, which is when we planned to tell them!
2. It defeats the point of a family trip a bit, if DH is the only kid that goes, in my eyes. Not that we won't have fun, but... that wasn't the point to begin with.

I never did answer the 2019 question.

February 2019, we are headed to WDW for a long stay - 2 nights in BWV, 6 nights at a savanna view Kidani Village. Our first DVC trip! Running the Princess races. In March, we are headed back to NYC, using our two unrestricted IHG free nights at the Kimpton Ink48. That will be to see Kinky Boots one last time before it closes. Back to WDW again at the end of October through early November for a Food and Wine trip and the Wine & Dine runs. This will be a PVB DVC stay. The contract we bought had some extra points we didn't have an immediate use for, so we booked 3 studios and are bringing friends. That will be exciting!

Outside of that, nothing booked for certain. Most likely another NYC trip the 2nd or 3rd week of December to see the Christmas lights. Probably a trip to Philadelphia or maybe Baltimore. Probably trips to see in-laws. And that will use up most of our time off, so that will be that.

Thanks to churning, we'll have 3 or 4 Marriott 35k nights to use, so that will cover one of our weekend trips. The IHG cards will give us 2 more nights - I think we each get one more unrestricted free night since our renewal is before May 1 (just before May 1, April 24 in fact!). I'll be stoked if we get two more free nights anywhere at any IHG for $49.

My goal is for us to spend a little less and save a little more. To that end, we will likely slow down churning a bit... right after I find out of I'm approved for the Hilton Aspire. My application was cancelled because I already own the Hilton Biz (?????) so it was sent for manual review. We'll see how that goes.

How do the RMN online offers track? Is it by the linked cards or just from linking through the RMN site? Want to know if I can use my Amazon gift card balance or if I need to use a linked card.

OMG, little ebay rant here LOL, I have some things listed. Got a message from someone asking me if I would take a buy it now way lower than my original buy it now, AND there is already a bid on the item. So I tell him no, the buy it now option is gone because I have a bid. Then they message me again and ask if I can just make a new listing for the item with buy it now?!?! What? Um, NO!

***:rolleyes1 sorry about that.... I wish I could delete prior posts sometimes..... I did some digging and looking at dates.....

Last edited:
Apparently Marriott heard my whining. Finally, 2400 points deposited:banana:If you think about it, I'm super excited over, what...$21.60 or so but it's the little things that add up so color me happy!

So if I made Platinum this fall then I'll stay plat throughout 2019-wow this is a good Marriott day:)
My 750 points posted today! What to do with them?!

Varo update*

Android app is supposed to work now. I recommend waiting for DPs to roll in confirming it works but my theory is the referral tracks by email so you should be able to use any referral because: A DoC user forwarded me their referral email to my DoC email, because they did that instead of sending it to me themselves I was able to type in my own email to send the referral too. I rolled the dice and typed in my legit email, that sent my legit email a note from Varo I'd been referred and I should download the app, it included something along the lines of "make sure to use this email when signing up". I did so and got the bonus just fine.

DP on reddit claims you can email customer service for your own referral email and they'll send you one within a week. https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c...count_bonus_week_of_december_14_2018/ec2ftq2/ I emailed today saying I wanted to refer a friend to the $100 offer can they help me do that, we'll see what I get back. Remember the deadline on this bonus is 12/31.

*ALL of this is YMMV and I want to make that crystal clear! I do not guarantee any of this will work, just passing along what I'm seeing and experiencing

*one keeps using his cat as an excuse for everything... don't take this the wrong way, because I am an enormous animal lover. He has a diabetic cat. Him and his wife never go anywhere together because of the cat. The last two times they did was their wedding weekend last April, and their honeymoon last summer. Family who had volunteered to watch the cat (both times) STOPPED GIVING THE CAT HIS INSULIN SHOTS because he hid/bit them (though the jury is out on if he actually bit them)... that alone I cannot comprehend. You volunteered to watch the cat... knowing it needed shots... worst case scenario where you're having trouble giving them you need to contact the owner and see if you can take it somewhere, like say, to the vet clinic the cat normally goes to? Anyways, both times they spent 10x what it would have cost to board the cat because when they came back he was crashing from not getting his insulin and they ended up with big vet bills. With a two week honeymoon, they didn't know if the cat was going to make it after everything but luckily he pulled through. After the wedding weekend I told DH they needed to just board the cat over the honeymoon... but that's expensive. Less expensive than the vet bill they ended up with! Now for this trip he says no one will board him because he's diabetic... I have trouble believing that none the 20-odd boarding places within 5 miles of their house will board a diabetic cat. Or their vet clinic or another clinic nearby. Or even, have something set up with a clinic where the person watching the cat could just bring him by twice a day for his shots (I've worked in clinics that do this kind of thing). The biggest reason this all gets to me is he is now saying that maybe his wife wouldn't come because of the cat... which would save a bit on the trip like flights and activities, but the big things namely cruise and hotel are all double occupancy rates anyways. So I just worry that in 3 months or so he's gonna be like, oh we decided that it was too much for just one person to go (because we wouldn't spend an extra $250 to board our cat for the week) which will mean I end up here posting a whole line of :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Sorry, Microbiology major with a passion for animals. It means that on the short list of things I get really worked up over are vaccinations for pets and kids, and people taking proper care of their pets (which to me is food, love, care, and sucking it up to pay for things like boarding/vaccinations/health check ups). It drives me crazy when people say things like, oh it's too expensive to give that vaccine... ugh why do they charge an exam fee when they are just giving a shot... etc etc. Because your pet can't have the vaccine if they're already sick... they might get the disease you're trying to prevent! Pets can be costly and I get that sometimes people run into hard times and things, so it's more people that I know more about their situation that annoy me... "that would be an additional $50 to do" (every 3 years... that's less than $1.50 a month :headache:), my boss just did a $100k remodel on her home, but can't spend $100 more a year on dog food "that would be so much better for dog, but it's too expensive," or MIL not getting all vaccinations/letting the rabies vax lapse because it's hard/expensive to take the dogs in... and I'm thinking, you have wild animals that carry these diseases in your backyard at least once a week!!! BIL saying boarding the cat is soooo expensive, though it would easily fit in their budget, then complaining about the vet bill after? No sympathy.

Ok, I'm also big on preventative care for people and animals. So.... If any of you don't go to your yearly checkups for health/dental/vision stuff, go now!!! *steps off soap box* :rotfl:

Cats are funny creatures, and some are more high-strung than others (I've had 3 over a 22yr span). Not knowing anything about your BIL's cat's personality, I'll suggest some reasons why it's not that easy to leave a diabetic cat.
  • New surroundings (boarding, etc.) causes stress, release of cortisol, and that affects blood glucose levels
  • Unfamiliar situations for some cats makes them stop eating (boarding in a small cage in a strange place? owners gone? loud dogs barking at a clinic?), again really hard to manage their blood glucose levels and dangerous if insulin is given to a non-eating cat. Insulin doses for a cat are very small but have big effects.
  • If cats stop eating, they can develop fatty livers and that is life threatening.
  • Some stranger is going to grab them and give them a shot? Uhhh, I can totally see that not happening. Cats can read people and they know if you don't know what the heck you're doing (those aforementioned family members who offered to take care of the cat).
It sounds like your BIL and wife are strongly bonded to their cat, and might blame themselves if things went sideways while they were off on a vacation especially given what happened when they went on their honeymoon (I'm sure they have some petowner ptsd from that). As for saying that it is soooo expensive, that may be a convenient excuse that they feel others can relate to as a reason, but may not be the true reason. IDK.

That doesn't help your planning, but I wanted to offer up a different perspective to you.

So one last dumb SWAs pend question for all the experts here....doube checking my dates and math- (P2)
Biz card-11/1/18 AF posts
11/25/18- statement (made a few purchases)
next payment due date 12/22/18- this means St CLOSED is 12/25,so any purchase from 12/26 onward I'm good for 2019 spend?
Pers. card- 12/1/18 AF posts
12/14/18 statement close
next payment due date 1/11/19- this means statement close is 12/17/18,and any purchase after 12/18/18 is good for 2019?
Please tell me if I've got this right....I have some ins. bills due,and I want to use these cards but I need the timing to be right....

My 750 points posted today! What to do with them?!

Mine posted somewhere in the last hour and they were correct!!!! I got a total of 1000, 1 of the 500 point wins and 10 at 50 points.

Mine are added into my hoarded stash. Still waiting for my free night and the rest of my credit card points but it's not time to worry about those yet as I'm still within their time frame. But - I want to see that bigger number!

Ok..... Annual TC on CSR..... I have a BIG question here...... so my travel charges were mainly on my CSR this past trip- but my CSR UR page says my Tc will reset on Dec 20 statement,my TC has been used this year. (it showed this awhile ago) BUt I just looked at my acct,and it applied a TC to $300 of charges...(???) can anyone help me figure out what's going on here? did I use early,based on upcoming award?(after Dec20?) or what?

Its per cardmember year, not calendar year. You'll be getting your annual fee posting in the next few weeks. So now that you've already used the credit, you can go ahead and product change to a no fee card (if you want).

Cats are funny creatures, and some are more high-strung than others (I've had 3 over a 22yr span). Not knowing anything about your BIL's cat's personality, I'll suggest some reasons why it's not that easy to leave a diabetic cat.
  • New surroundings (boarding, etc.) causes stress, release of cortisol, and that affects blood glucose levels
  • Unfamiliar situations for some cats makes them stop eating (boarding in a small cage in a strange place? owners gone? loud dogs barking at a clinic?), again really hard to manage their blood glucose levels and dangerous if insulin is given to a non-eating cat. Insulin doses for a cat are very small but have big effects.
  • If cats stop eating, they can develop fatty livers and that is life threatening.
  • Some stranger is going to grab them and give them a shot? Uhhh, I can totally see that not happening. Cats can read people and they know if you don't know what the heck you're doing (those aforementioned family members who offered to take care of the cat).
It sounds like your BIL and wife are strongly bonded to their cat, and might blame themselves if things went sideways while they were off on a vacation especially given what happened when they went on their honeymoon (I'm sure they have some petowner ptsd from that). As for saying that it is soooo expensive, that may be a convenient excuse that they feel others can relate to as a reason, but may not be the true reason. IDK.

That doesn't help your planning, but I wanted to offer up a different perspective to you.
These are valid things. I have never personally owned a cat, because my dad was extremely allergic growing up. I would like too - we've got an outside cat that will probably come with us when we move. I've just spent a lot of time around them, especially diabetic ones, working at clinics over the years, pet sitting for clients diabetic cats and several of my friends' diabetic cats too. I would never claim to be an expert though (can anyone really be an expert in animals? They're all so different :laughing: the professionals are as close as it gets). And yeah, I think people not being comfortable giving the shot is a very important thing in this kind of situation. Probably should have added this originally, but these family members... have had a diabetic cat in the past and successfully watched this cat several times over the years... and then magically couldn't for the wedding weekend and honeymoon. That was really weird :sad2:

We just get a lot of conflicting things from BIL with the cat, which also leads to my frustration. He's had the cat since he started grad school (2007), adopted him as an adult, so the cat is around 13-15 years old if I remember correctly. So that cat has been around longer than the wife :P and there are very strong impressions that she does not like the cat. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of argument over spending money on the cat even to board him. Though you'd think at some point she would understand that if we spend $xxx to board him, we save $xxxx in vet bills :confused3 When cat is not at the vet for life threatening crashes, he is happy to go, comfortable staying there several days in a row. So we've been told. Then he turns around and says they won't keep him (but you just told us they did while you did a long weekend with wife's family...). No one will watch him, no kennels or clinics or no pet sitters to come to the house, etc - I think this is more that he just won't do the legwork to look at the various options and see if they work out.

And this trip has been so long in the making, and the cat stuff has been coming up this whole time... even though when the planning originally started, cat was happily staying at vet clinic and being watched by those family members as BIL told us no one could watch the cat...

2019 Goals...
Right now finishing up spend for Cap One Venture. Have $1000 left to go. Waiting on approval of CIP#2. Applied December 1st. Went to 2 Weeks, then went to 7-10 days (that is when I decided to get Venture). Then I got letter in mail just needing verification of EIN. So, faxed that in. Status line is back to 2 weeks. So, keeping fingers crossed. Then will need to try Venmo or fund some bank accounts to do this spend. After that not sure. I am 5/25 with cards dropping off in May and June. Would like to get SW Companion pass again at the end of the year. So most likely stick with business cards. I have Citi AA Business that I used for Mortgage. Waiting for points to post then will cancel and reapply for that.

DH is 4/24 with a card dropping off in April. So need to figure out strategy here. Maybe Cap One Venture for him too... Tried getting DH Citi AA Business but was denied for too many inquiries. So, maybe hold off a bit and try again on this.

2019 Travel:
March - We are going on a Carnival Cruise (4 of us) SW Flights on Points and Cruise booked on UR Points.

July - DS19 and DD17 going to Disney for a week. (DH isn't as big of a fan). Flights booked on SW Points. Renting DVC Points from a friend. He rents to us at $8 a points. Booking available tomorrow morning so hoping he gets us BWV. That is our favorite resort. Probably get the Dining Plan. Right now have discounted gift cards totaling $1100 so need a bit more for that. Tickets I will probably use Barclay Rewards. Both DH and I have about $700 on our cards. (unless by some miracle they come back on the Chase site , and not the anytime ones that are more expensive).

After that both kids will be in college so just trying to rack up points. SW have been depleted so need more of those.... But have to wait until end of 2019 to apply again for those cards. So, will try and rack up AA points.

Excellent!

We cared for our friend's diabetic dog while she was on a cruise this past year. Dog was familiar with us and daughter was able to give the shots. Dog stayed with us and we have a menagerie of cats and dog and birds in our home.

When I leave, I have a trusted neighbor, if daughter is not home, as my dog suffers from anxiety, who will come in several times per day and feed, plus take the dog into my back yard.

I'm also the person who took my Norwegian Elkhound (since passed on) to Disney because at the time I couldn't find a suitable caretaker for her. She stayed at Best Friends when it was at Fort Wilderness and I visited twice a day. Some of us pet owners go the extra mile for the responsibilities we've chosen to accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter