If Everest doesn't get yeti refurb after Pandora opening, when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without the yeti...Everest is a $30 mil vekoma off the shelf rollercoaster and a $250 million dollar queue...

Twist it however you want...but it's not a wdi ride otherwise.

To compare it to a standard roller coaster isn't even close - it's still one of the best rides at WDW.

I understand you are not going to change your mind - but you are pretty well in the minority on this. So far, everyone else posting in the thread says it doesn't really affect THEIR ride experience, even those of us that remember when it moved. I like many others have talked to people that are convinced it currently moves - the strobe effect is enough for the average Joe. That's not counting the people that close their eyes on roller coasters and completely miss it. (My daughter and wife have never seen the Yeti because they close their eyes.) IT's probably 20:1 in favor of "not much difference" here, and this is among DIS people. I bet if you polled people exiting the ride and asked the first 1000: "Does the yeti not working adversely affect your ride experience?" you would get 980 people that didn't know there was anything wrong with it, 18 people that would say that they wish it were fixed, but that it doesn't really hurt the ride, and 2 that would say that it would be a much better ride if it were fixed. And don't tell me Disney hasn't done that survey themselves and it's a piece of why they haven't fixed it. It's like the moving rocks in the last lift-hill on Big Thunder Mountain that used to move and now don't, only probably even less noticeable.

Is it symptomatic of a bigger problem at Disney, the problem that having the best possible show is not as important as it used to be? Well, I'll give that to you - but I can't say it's anywhere near the worst example. As others have said - there's 5 better examples in Epcot alone. Heck - my BTMRR is a better example. (I am bothered by those rocks not moving on the lift hill way more than the yeti not swiping.)

This got me thinking. If they fixed the yeti the ride would be theoretically scarier right? So would people complain that the ride is now too scary for their kids? People complain about practically everything these days.
No. There's isn't much difference between moving arm and non-moving strove lit arm. I'm telling you. I don't get the obsession here...
Agree - the moving arm would not really make the ride any scarier...if kids aren't freaked out by the time the ride reaches the last five seconds - the moving yeti wouldn't push them over the edge.

This got me thinking. If they fixed the yeti the ride would be theoretically scarier right? So would people complain that the ride is now too scary for their kids? People complain about practically everything these days.

People might complain - because that is what people do

BUT I was able to ride EE shortly after it opened and the Yeti was still moving.

1) It was very cool and I think it did add to the ride - so, yes it does make it a better experience, but the ride is still great without it (as long as the the the ride is down coincides with the time I am not there I am full supportive :D)
2) I don't think it made it any scarier - if that would scare you I think other aspects of the ride would also scare you

BUT I was able to ride EE shortly after it opened and the Yeti was still moving.

1) It was very cool and I think it did add to the ride - so, yes it does make it a better experience, but the ride is still great without it (as long as the the the ride is down coincides with the time I am not there I am full supportive :D)
2) I don't think it made it any scarier - if that would scare you I think other aspects of the ride would also scare you

Sounds like it's a nice to have and not a need to have. Now if the ride itself is breaking down and needs a refurb, that would make sense. It would be disappointing for people who visit during that time but it has to happen at some point.

To compare it to a standard roller coaster isn't even close - it's still one of the best rides at WDW.

You're not addressing what I'm talking about here, kid...

It's like being named "Miss Steel Mill"

It is more than just the ride for me...it's the history/management of the park. It's a microcosm.

But...the ride does not operate as designed and never did. But disney "isn't about rides"? - I agree...it's always been about using tricks and tools to go beyond the track. Since day 1, Rockinroller coaster is a fairly mundane ride system...but combo it with the speakers, the preshow, the cars...it becomes exceptional for what it is.

...you see where Ima going here?

Here it is: making excuses for this...and a lot of the tacky, non-disney type operational moves...isn't helping, people. It's not necessary for your longterm bliss.

It's as though as long as you get to wear flip flops and see "Wishes"...there is no expectation...no price will be rejected.

What a pathetically low standard to maintain.

I don't think they'll ever fix that ride...and as long as they don't...it's a middling rollercoaster system AT BEST. If you want straight rides...go to the traditional places and save some cash - my advice. $99 annuals at six flags.

Sounds like it's a nice to have and not a need to have. Now if the ride itself is breaking down and needs a refurb, that would make sense. It would be disappointing for people who visit during that time but it has to happen at some point.
It does break down often. I don't believe it's had a refurb in a long time if ever.

You're not addressing what I'm talking about here, kid...

It's like being named "Miss Steel Mill"

It is more than just the ride for me...it's the history/management of the park. It's a microcosm.

But...the ride does not operate as designed and never did. But disney "isn't about rides"? - I agree...it's always been about using tricks and tools to go beyond the track. Since day 1, Rockinroller coaster is a fairly mundane ride system...but combo it with the speakers, the preshow, the cars...it becomes exceptional for what it is.

...you see where Ima going here?

Here it is: making excuses for this...and a lot of the tacky, non-disney type operational moves...isn't helping, people. It's not necessary for your longterm bliss.

It's as though as long as you get to wear flip flops and see "Wishes"...there is no expectation...no price will be rejected.

What a pathetically low standard to maintain.

I don't think they'll ever fix that ride...and as long as they don't...it's a middling rollercoaster system AT BEST. If you want straight rides...go to the traditional places and save some cash - my advice. $99 annuals at six flags.
I disagree that they'll never fix it but I agree that there is no need to fix it right now because people don't think it not moving takes away from the ride. It's evident here that many feel it's still a great ride without the movement. I like the ride but I never experienced the moving arm so I can't say it's better or not.

But...the ride does not operate as designed and never did.

I disagree with this. The ride functioned for a short time as it was designed. However, once the Yeti cracked the frame, that was that.

I agree with others that the Yeti moving does not impact this ride for me at all. I rode it many times when it was completely operable and while it was a cool effect, you were through it so quick there was really no time to appreciate it. Part of me is sad that this attraction no longer works as it was originally intended, but like the poster above said,
I bet if you polled people exiting the ride and asked the first 1000: "Does the yeti not working adversely affect your ride experience?" you would get 980 people that didn't know there was anything wrong with it, 18 people that would say that they wish it were fixed, but that it doesn't really hurt the ride, and 2 that would say that it would be a much better ride if it were fixed.

I agree with that.

I agree with your thoughts...

Is it "necessary"? No...but neither is going on vacation. Are we talking "bare necessities" now? The target moves at light speed these days.

I rode it maybe 3 times in "alpha" mode and that sequence is the climax of the ride. There is no getting around that. The storyline is it builds to an "encounter"...the broken track, the animation, the timing.

In a way, I'm defending my friend joe the artist...
fix the AA!...why bother operating a ride with "one cheek"?

Because it gobbles up people? That's what the trip reports are now? When I was a kid it was "the haunted mansion was cool..."

Now it's "I was processed 21 times over 4 days with appropriate efficiency and hourly capacity"?

Viva mine train, peeps ;)

I disagree with this. The ride functioned for a short time as it was designed. However, once the Yeti cracked the frame, that was that.

I agree with others that the Yeti moving does not impact this ride for me at all. I rode it many times when it was completely operable and while it was a cool effect, you were through it so quick there was really no time to appreciate it. Part of me is sad that this attraction no longer works as it was originally intended, but like the poster above said,

I agree with that.

$125 bucks a day for a ride that worked about 9 months or so and that was 12 years ago?

Maybe we're talking the "symptom" here...not the flu?

I disagree that they'll never fix it but I agree that there is no need to fix it right now because people don't think it not moving takes away from the ride. It's evident here that many feel it's still a great ride without the movement. I like the ride but I never experienced the moving arm so I can't say it's better or not.

It was better...that's not hard to recognize here by those that have seen it both ways.

This is a tad of "mental laziness" here because it's not worth thinking about. If you are content it's just about a steel ride in a shell and that's that...then there's nothing I can say.

But it's disingenuous to say it added nothing...it certainly did.

$125 bucks a day for a ride that worked about 9 months or so and that was 12 years ago?

Maybe we're talking the "symptom" here...not the flu?

I'm just saying, let's be factual. It did once operate as intended. It hasn't in many years, but what we're discussing now is does the original intended operation now take away from the experience of the ride itself and my opinion is no, it does not. It's still a pretty cool ride as it currently stands.

I fully agree with this ... with the one caveat that I think part of the appeal of Disney parks is that they are full of "nice to haves." Do the parks "need" to be as well themed as they are? No, but that is part of the appeal - that Disney goes the extra mile with effects and theming, etc. So I do think, if they can fix it (ideally as part of another refurb that needs to happen at some point anyway) they should.

I fully agree with this ... with the one caveat that I think part of the appeal of Disney parks is that they are full of "nice to haves." Do the parks "need" to be as well themed as they are? No, but that is part of the appeal - that Disney goes the extra mile with effects and theming, etc. So I do think, if they can fix it (ideally as part of another refurb that needs to happen at some point anyway) they should.

That is what they SELL. And always have. I feel like this thread has an "amnesia" prerequisite to it...

While the broken Yeti is bad, the broken newspaper boy at Epcot is far worse. It's obvious to everyone on the ride that something is broken or missing.

I rode Everest dozens of times in both original/broken modes and was only vaguely aware that something had changed. But even a newbie will look at that paperboy statue staring at a practically blank wall and go, "huh?"

Every park needs a Walt-type like Joe Rhode to say "gosh wouldn't it be neat if ..." and a Roy type to say "ok but let's cook some numbers and prioritize."

Probably that's how it is already set up in theory, but at Epcot the management model is really broken.

I imagine that Iger or someone is looking at liquor receipts from F&W and going "... you mean we'll still get all this money ANYWAYS even if nobody ever puts a foot into Future World ... ? Ok then if no sponsor cares enough about Spaceship Earth, Energy Adventure or the fish farm to renew them then scr_w it!"

While the broken Yeti is bad, the broken newspaper boy at Epcot is far worse. It's obvious to everyone on the ride that something is broken or missing.

But even a newbie will look at that paperboy statue staring at a practically blank wall and go, "huh?"

Wait a sec, so he's broken? How so? I could not figure out for the life of me WHY they turned him toward the wall!!

I don't think we'll see the yeti get fixed until the foundation moves to the point they must close the ride until it's repaired. The yeti isn't actually broken, it's the foundation under it that's moving around. (might not be exact technical terms). My understanding is that need a lot of room for whatever and however they need to fix it so it's not a take the yeti apart situation and not a short few months to do it. the wording I heard that was lightly joking is it would be fastest to take the ride down and redo it.

Devil's advocate here.
If a ride was designed with features X, Y, Z on day one, and years later there is a long rehab where they add features R, S and T, most would consider it an improvement, yes? There will be a small group of purists, that will have likely not like additions R, S and T.

In this case, at least what I gather from LOL's dog in this fight is that the Yeti grasp feature is integral to the story, and without it, it is not quite complete. I also gather that LOL, you believe this to be a financial/operations overule in that the bottom line is the driver of the decision not to fix it.(I agree with that).

As critic of the brand, if in an extended rehab, they added features to improve the guest experience/themeing on the ride but the yeti was not returned to it's opening day animatronics, would you consider that a good faith effort to "fix" the attraction, and a net improvement. Obviously, the enhancements dictate if it would truly be a net gain.

Ultimately, what I'm asking, is there anything that would be an adequate substitute for the Yeti taking a swipe at you as you ride by? IE mist like pirates, and the arm is projected on it.

We assume it can be fixed, but no one on this forum truly knows. We can backseat drive with the best of them, we can argue based on assumptions, and that is what forums are great for. Ultimately is there an alternate solution that would make the purists happy, and not feel like Disney is taking an easy financial way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter