Immanuel Kant and wearing masks in public.

you're stuck with 99 other people. One of you has Coronavirus and doesn't know it. Masks...

• ... should be warn by everyone.

• ... should be warn by most people.

• ... should be warn only by those comfortable wearing one.

• ... it doesn't matter because masks don't do anything at all.

• ... it doesn't matter because the virus is going to get everyone eventually anyway.

• ... should be warn by everyone but me.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Essentially, to be a good person, we must act in a way that we would prefer everyone else, in our position, would have to act.

First, 10 points to Gryffindor for using the categorical imperative in a Disney thread.

Second, imma get all political (okay in an off-topic thread?). I'm a Libertarian. A lot of people think that means I feel that people should be able to do whatever they want and screw all the rest of you. I do not believe that. What I believe is that I should be able to do whatever I want as long as I don't stop you from doing what you want. In other words my rights end where your rights begin. In the context of wearing masks in public, since masks work best to prevent contagious people from spreading the virus and since you can be contagious for a long time before you realize it, I do not have the right to spread the virus to you. Therefore, I should wear the mask. Furthermore, I believe the government should only force people to do things when people are violating the rights of others. In this case, stay at home orders and mask orders are both legally and morally justified, since acting negligently is a violation of the rights of others.

It's like DUI laws. You can't just say "I shouldn't be arrested for driving drunk if I don't hit anything." Whether you hit someone or not, you don't have the right to endanger others. Same thing with masks.

But an answer in a different thread did get me thinking about the roots of ethical behavior. In all things ethics, I fall back to Kant because he says what most of us believe so succinctly. He says that for a action to be ethical one must...
Essentially, to be a good person, we must act in a way that we would prefer everyone else, in our position, would have to act.

Thanks for creating a happy moment for me. This quote threw me back to my college days - a journey of more than 45 years. But having gone to a small religious college where four semesters of philosophy were a core requirement, I recognized it immediately.

I also voted that everyone wears a mask.

Last edited:
"Masks don't do anything at all" may be an opinion, but it is also simply not true. There are studies that prove this. How could anyone be so ignorant to believe otherwise?
I put it up there because it really is a reason I have heard given for opposing mask use. And I would caution against labeling disagreement as ignorance. The people who do believe this (and I'm not one) have their reasons. There is a great deal of good science questioning just how much good the masks do, and a growing body of science on when, where, and how they can be harmful. There is also significant political and/or philosophical pressure in each direction that shapes the information we encounter and, to that extent anyway, influences how we see this issue.

I’m sorry for doing this, but the irony is too tempting...*its
Savage. I would have called you out for meanness except that it was about an error in a sentence calling for a better education system ... oof. Yet you missed me using "warn" instead of "worn" 3 times in the poll...
Please provide a peer-reviewed article about the efficacy of wearing masks.
Here's a state of the field review. This one specifically discusses surgical (non-filtering) masks.

If there was absolutely no choice but to be in that room, I guess I would say everyone needs to have a mask. But my first choice, if possible, would be not to be in the room.
Indeed. But it's useful to sometimes place ourselves in the position so many of us are in right now; unable to make that choice.
I voted all but in all honestly I would never be involved in any scenario like that. If I saw a hundred people gathered - see ya!!!
Never is a hard word. Would never is even harder. Like you, I likely won't be involved in anything like this scenario, because I have the privilege of having a household income that continues mostly uninterrupted, a home (small as it is) I own outright, even a little savings. But I can't say that I 'would never' have to make such a choice.

How about if you were a cashier, and your families sole breadwinner? Maybe not a well spaced room with 100 people but the checkout lane and 1000s of other people each day.

Some family of a friend of mine got caught in a foreign country when the travel bans went up and they had to roll out to a very crowded meeting space every day for several day to try get seating arrangements on a plane out.

You never really know what might be waiting for you with each flip of the desk calendar.

I can’t vote because I just can’t get past a poll that uses “warn” in place of “worn” 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️
Sorry!😂🤦‍♀️
Oof. Oh that's a hard one. I do about 80% of my typing with a speech-to-text program but I really do my best to check my work and ... just oof. No excuse for that.

I put it up there because it really is a reason I have heard given for opposing mask use. And I would caution against labeling disagreement as ignorance. The people who do believe this (and I'm not one) have their reasons. There is a great deal of good science questioning just how much good the masks do, and a growing body of science on when, where, and how they can be harmful. There is also significant political and/or philosophical pressure in each direction that shapes the information we encounter and, to that extent anyway, influences how we see this issue.

Savage. I would have called you out for meanness except that it was about an error in a sentence calling for a better education system ... oof. Yet you missed me using "warn" instead of "worn" 3 times in the poll...

Here's a state of the field review. This one specifically discusses surgical (non-filtering) masks.

Indeed. But it's useful to sometimes place ourselves in the position so many of us are in right now; unable to make that choice.

Never is a hard word. Would never is even harder. Like you, I likely won't be involved in anything like this scenario, because I have the privilege of having a household income that continues mostly uninterrupted, a home (small as it is) I own outright, even a little savings. But I can't say that I 'would never' have to make such a choice.

How about if you were a cashier, and your families sole breadwinner? Maybe not a well spaced room with 100 people but the checkout lane and 1000s of other people each day.

Some family of a friend of mine got caught in a foreign country when the travel bans went up and they had to roll out to a very crowded meeting space every day for several day to try get seating arrangements on a plane out.

You never really know what might be waiting for you with each flip of the desk calendar.

Oof. Oh that's a hard one. I do about 80% of my typing with a speech-to-text program but I really do my best to check my work and ... just oof. No excuse for that.

There was no meanness behind it at all, it was strictly for irony sake.

impossible LOL.You want 100 people to be in a square footage of only 100 Square feet with 25 groups with 6 feet in between each group. Plus it will be 24 other groups not 23.
A 100 foot square room would have 10,000 sq.ft., divided by 25 groups, yes of course, '24 other' ... a careless error on my part.

EXCELLENT question!
I try.

I know ... oh it burns. And it won't let me fix it.

Also, "never" applies to if you live in an area prone to natural disasters (earthquake, fires, tornados, hurricanes) and need to evacuate your home into a shelter with other evacuees. Seems pretty possible that a situation like that might beyond one's choice.

So what gives? Why are people so up in arms (literally!) about wearing masks? Or, I guess, why *just* masks and not also shirts and pants and shoes?
It's usually a mix of legitimately finding them extremely uncomfortable (not often said about shirts) and doubting just how much good they really do anyway.

Shirts have a privileged position of social normalcy where, in this country anyway, the face mask does not.

I think when some people hear the argument that masks are pretty much the same things as shirts, and thus should be required too, they fear that masks will become a permanent necessity.
I hadn't really thought about this. A fear that when the crisis is over the social pressure to continue wearing them will not go away.

So many of you keep asking the question as though you expect people to walk in a business, where it is required, without one? Is that happening where you're from?
Yes. They are required in all businesses in MI, but in most places I see between half and three-fourths going without.

So wearing a shirt that is painful equals not being able to breathe?
lol ... Look I'm pro mask, but I try to be sympathetic ... to equate the discomfort of wearing shirt while having shingles to even the worst experience someone might have with a cloth face mask, would require treating the inside of that mask with pepper spray.

As for how the crowd acted, it's Staten Island. It's an area full of first responders and frontline workers. And New Yorkers stand up for themselves.
No excuse. That was a bully mob venting their frustrations on a woman who should have been told politely to follow the rules or go home by the store manager.

So when she got in line behind them, without a mask on, they should just stand there and let her breath near them, even though everyone else is wearing a mask?
They should have let the store manager know that they would not shop there if the woman was allowed to shop maskless, and then if necessary, leave.

That video made Lord of the Flies seem optimistic.

Boy, this opens up a whole can of worms, though. Because I might believe everyone should act in a way that 90% of the rest of the population thinks is abhorrent. That for sure doesn't make me a good person.
It's not, 'act only in ways you think everyone should act.' but more like, 'act only in ways that you would be comfortable with everyone acting.'

So 'abhorrent' behavior that you would be totally chill with other people doing to you, not just sometime, but every time, can still be considered ethical.

I hadn't really thought about this. A fear that when the crisis is over the social pressure to continue wearing them will not go away.
The social pressure can be suffocating. Masks are not required here, though they are recommended. I wear them out while at work and getting groceries, but I was “shamed” for not wearing one by someone walking her dog while I checked my mailbox at the end of my driveway. I do not believe I was in the wrong for a second, but I was still so embarrassed at the time.

It’s really hard to see people claim that masks are here to stay and we should get used to them. I don’t want to live my life shut in my house, but I really don’t want to live the rest of my life in a mask.

I am only speaking for myself - and yes i would NEVER put myself in that situation. I am an essential as is my husband, we work & go home, we zoom or facetime with family. We also have no mortgage & no debt plus making huge overtime so money (don't know why that was brought up) is not the issue. So are we supposed to compare financials? The issue is self preservation.

So you think on my way home from work I am gonna be just randomly be running into a crowd of 100 people :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I do not know why people feel the need to reinterpret what someone wrote, why the need to add -what if, could be, would've , could've. should've. Not talking about before travel bans, dealing with the here & now.

I speak for us - and let me reiterate - I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER put myself in that situation.

Thanks for creating a happy moment for me. This quote threw me back to my college days - a journey of more than 45 years. But having gone to a small religious college where four semesters of philosophy were a core requirement, I recognized it immediately.
I imagine Kant would feature well in a religious college, he was a devout Christian and saw ethics as a duty to both fellow man and God. I actually hate reading Kant, despite liking what he says. Nietzsche said something like, "Kant attempts to say, in a way the common man would hate, that the common man has it right all along." Oddly enough, I love reading Nietzsche, despite disagreeing with much of what he says.

Between Kant and Aristotle there is everything a person needs to know how to be decent to each other.

It’s really hard to see people claim that masks are here to stay and we should get used to them. I don’t want to live my life shut in my house, but I really don’t want to live the rest of my life in a mask.
It's going to be a hard year or two coming then. I hope that a greater variety of mask styles are developed and marketed and that you find one that is comfortable.

We also have no mortgage & no debt plus making huge overtime so money (don't know why that was brought up) is not the issue. So are we supposed to compare financials? The issue is self preservation.
My point was only that, in practical terms, the choice to put one's self in that room or not is tied to one's means. A trait that is only mostly within our own control at the best of times.

I do not know why people feel the need to reinterpret what someone wrote, why the need to add -what if, could be, would've , could've. should've.
Because the question, as written, is an abstraction. It is meant to represent the core elements of any number of specific hypothetical situations. For one person it might be the need to get their license renewed in person and spending an hour in a large waiting room. Perhaps a spouse or child on the other side of the country is critically injured and to spend their last moments with them you must get in a plane with 100 other people. Or to get home from vacation you have to gather with a large group of strangers and wait for a seating assignment.

There's a infinite array of potential situations, the specifics of which boil down neatly to,'"You find yourself stuck in an enclosed space with a large number of people, one of them or yourself is contagious with covid-19." In this situation how many of the people would you prefer be wearing a face mask'

I speak for us - and let me reiterate - I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER put myself in that situation.
Always be wary that Nemesis often follows Hubris.
Would you at least agree that not everyone in that situation has put themselves in that situation? But the question does not concern itself with what situations you would choose for yourself, it presupposes that anyone may find themselves in this situation.

Did that cashier that has to go to work or risk losing their family home; or that mother, boarding a plane for LA to see her son before they turn the machines off, did they choose to put themselves in this situation? Obviously its within their power to choose not to, and yet when the stakes balance in such a way, choice or not becomes a distinction without a difference.

No one can say that they will never find themselves in this situation. Because things that might place one in this situation happen every day completely divorced from our own personal agency.

The puzzle or inquiry is not whether you will ever be in this spot, odds are you won't. But you could be... and should that happen... would you prefer you and those sharing that space with you be wearing a mask, or not?

This is a different question than just asking if you think wearing masks is a good idea or asking if a person will wear a mask. It asks you to put yourself in the shoes of those thousands of people in each of our communities that must put themselves in a space with people every day. You know at least a couple people out of the thousands walking through a grocery store each shift are gonna have coronavirus. Even in a smaller town, if one of them doesn't have it today it then it will happen the next day or maybe the next. Put yourself in the shoes of a policeman or EMT. Put yourself in the shoes of future-you going through something you never considered before.

Is your decision to wear or not wear a mask a maxim you would make universal?

I don’t see any purpose in wearing a mask except to reduce the hysteria many have contracted. The hysteria is far more widespread and destructive then the virus itself. Perfectly fine with me and my family in that room with no one wearing masks. The risk of any of us experiencing serious consequences is low in comparison with other mortality risks we face over the course of a typical year. It is probable that most have been or will be exposed to this virus prior to its resolution in one manner or another. Facing the constant risk of death is assumed at conception and rises from birth until we do die.

I imagine Kant would feature well in a religious college, he was a devout Christian and saw ethics as a duty to both fellow man and God. I actually hate reading Kant, despite liking what he says. Nietzsche said something like, "Kant attempts to say, in a way the common man would hate, that the common man has it right all along." Oddly enough, I love reading Nietzsche, despite disagreeing with much of what he says.

Between Kant and Aristotle there is everything a person needs to know how to be decent to each other.

It's going to be a hard year or two coming then. I hope that a greater variety of mask styles are developed and marketed and that you find one that is comfortable.

My point was only that, in practical terms, the choice to put one's self in that room or not is tied to one's means. A trait that is only mostly within our own control at the best of times.

Because the question, as written, is an abstraction. It is meant to represent the core elements of any number of specific hypothetical situations. For one person it might be the need to get their license renewed in person and spending an hour in a large waiting room. Perhaps a spouse or child on the other side of the country is critically injured and to spend their last moments with them you must get in a plane with 100 other people. Or to get home from vacation you have to gather with a large group of strangers and wait for a seating assignment.

There's a infinite array of potential situations, the specifics of which boil down neatly to,'"You find yourself stuck in an enclosed space with a large number of people, one of them or yourself is contagious with covid-19." In this situation how many of the people would you prefer be wearing a face mask'

Always be wary that Nemesis often follows Hubris.
Would you at least agree that not everyone in that situation has put themselves in that situation? But the question does not concern itself with what situations you would choose for yourself, it presupposes that anyone may find themselves in this situation.

Did that cashier that has to go to work or risk losing their family home; or that mother, boarding a plane for LA to see her son before they turn the machines off, did they choose to put themselves in this situation? Obviously its within their power to choose not to, and yet when the stakes balance in such a way, choice or not becomes a distinction without a difference.

No one can say that they will never find themselves in this situation. Because things that might place one in this situation happen every day completely divorced from our own personal agency.

The puzzle or inquiry is not whether you will ever be in this spot, odds are you won't. But you could be... and should that happen... would you prefer you and those sharing that space with you be wearing a mask, or not?

This is a different question than just asking if you think wearing masks is a good idea or asking if a person will wear a mask. It asks you to put yourself in the shoes of those thousands of people in each of our communities that must put themselves in a space with people every day. You know at least a couple people out of the thousands walking through a grocery store each shift are gonna have coronavirus. Even in a smaller town, if one of them doesn't have it today it then it will happen the next day or maybe the next. Put yourself in the shoes of a policeman or EMT. Put yourself in the shoes of future-you going through something you never considered before.

Is your decision to wear or not wear a mask a maxim you would make universal?

you weren’t sighting original you were try change & qualify my post. And you’re doing it again just accept some people say what they mean & mean what they say. Trying intellectualize your answer makes it no stronger.
Yes I will never put myself in a crowd of 100 or even 10.
As I sit in my expensive mortgage free house,having no debt & counting my money 😅😂😅😅😅. Haven’t turned the corner & met that mob yet.

But I’m sure you’ll try to rationalize that also. Just keep making yourself feel good but trust me like En Vogue sang “never gonna happen, never ever gonna happen“

Last edited:
Tried N95. Went in a small store just to get a coke and kept grabbing at it! Felt like an anxiety attack was coming quick. So quickly knew that wouldn’t work. I now have cloth masks because I couldn’t get paper ones at the time.

Thanks! Off to Amazon! (My UPS guy is getting really tired of coming to my house LOL)

Hoping these work because my bosses are on the fence about them at work. It will depend on if we are open to the public. We don’t have to be to do our jobs but it helps.
I think you'll be much more comfortable. Let me know how it goes!

In this scenario I would say everyone wear the mask if it is a gun to the head, you have absolutely no choice but to be in there, situation. But I say that because it is a short time frame and a controlled space. That is not real life so my views as I go through my day are different.

As a teacher I may, in the near future, be stuck in a room with students that are not keeping their hands and body to themselves much less social distancing. Their hygiene and toileting skills are also highly questionable :crazy2:. And there is no way they and I are wearing a mask all day correctly or safely. So my view may be tainted by the fact that I will be inevitably exposed or at least at risk of exposure at some point but I don't feel they are truly keeping me from infecting someone or keeping me from being infected.

I do wear the mask if I have to go in a store (about once a week) because I don't want to be seen as a person who set out that day to kill another human being. However, I touch it and therefore my face much more than when I don't have one on. I feel faint and have to get a quick breath by pulling out on the nose area, my glasses fog and I can't see and I have to take them off and wipe and put them back on, it's 90 degrees here and sweat drips down and I feel I need to wipe it instead of just dripping on anything below me, and the elastic pops off an ear or gets stuck on my glasses and I have to readjust it. Each time I'm touching my face and then touching other things around me. I do try to be good about not touching a product and then putting it back without purchasing it - I don't think I've done that at all since this started. When I don't wear a mask I sanitize before I enter somewhere, consciously do not touch my face, walk to the car, and sanitize again. I have not coughed or sneezed once in public with or without the mask on. I admit I'm probably better at stifling them than some bc I always have kids in my face and am used to thinking about not spreading my germs to them. If I had uncontrollable coughing/sneezing for any reason I would not go into a store or other indoor public place until it was confirmed not Covid or controlled with allergy meds, etc.

So the reason I don't wear them when I don't have to such as outside in public, walking in my neighborhood, visiting in a friend's backyard, etc. is because I don't see that they are providing any more protection than distance and may be causing more transmission of anything on my face or in my sweat to others or objects around me. And the reason I don't care whether anyone else wears the mask anywhere I am (indoor or outdoor) is that I don't think I'm the only one that does these things so most other people aren't using/wearing them safely or properly either. As long as they don't deliberately come into my bubble or cough/sneeze in my face, I don't see a different danger from a person wearing or not wearing a mask honestly.

Last edited:
In this scenario I would say everyone wear the mask if it is a gun to the head, you have absolutely no choice but to be in there, situation. But I say that because it is a short time frame and a controlled space. That is not real life so my views as I go through my day are different.

As a teacher I may, in the near future, be stuck in a room with students that are not keeping their hands and body to themselves much less social distancing. Their hygience and toileting skills are also highly questionable :crazy2:. And there is no way they and I are wearing a mask all day correctly or safely. So my view may be tainted by the fact that I will be inevitably exposed or at least at risk of exposure at some point but I don't feel they are truly keeping me from infecting someone or keeping me from being infected.

I do wear the mask if I have to go in a store (about once a week) because I don't want to be seen as a person who set out that day to kill another human being. However, I touch it and therefore my face much more than when I don't have one on. I feel faint and have to get a quick breath by pulling out on the nose area, my glasses fog and I can't see and I have to take them off and wipe and put them back on, it's 90 degrees here and sweat drips down and I feel I need to wipe it instead of just dripping on anything below me, and the elastic pops off an ear or gets stuck on my glasses and I have to readjust it. Each time I'm touching my face and then touching other things around me. I do try to be good about not touching a product and then putting it back without purchasing it - I don't think I've done that at all since this started. When I don't wear a mask I sanitize before I enter somewhere, consciously do not touch my face, walk to the car, and sanitize again. I have not coughed or sneezed once in public with or without the mask on. I admit I'm probably better at stifling them than some bc I always have kids in my face and am used to thinking about not spreading my germs to them. If I had uncontrollable coughing/sneezing for any reason I would not go into a store or other indoor public place until it was confirmed not Covid or controlled with allergy meds, etc.

So the reason I don't wear them when I don't have to such as outside in public, walking in my neighborhood, visiting in a friend's backyard, etc. is because I don't see that they are providing any more protection than distance and may be causing more transmission of anything on my face or in my sweat to others or objects around me. And the reason I don't care whether anyone else wears the mask anywhere I am (indoor or outdoor) is that I don't think I'm the only one that does these things so most other people aren't using/wearing them safely or properly either. As long as they don't deliberately come into my bubble or cough/sneeze in my face, I don't see a different danger from a person wearing or not wearing a mask honestly.
Sorry but children in Texas are clean as a whistle and with spotless toilet skills. :)

"Masks don't do anything at all" may be an opinion, but it is also simply not true. There are studies that prove this. How could anyone be so ignorant to believe otherwise? Do they believe science is a lie? That they know more than the scientists? Truly boggles the mind, and proves that this country needs to put some serious emphasis on improving it's education system.
For every scientific study or report, there is one that states the opposite. The CDC and WHO have flip flopped on many issues lately, and people have someone cheered and jeered them all. IDIOTS! GENIUSES! The same people!

Scientists are fallible. Especially government scientists, and/or those with a bias.

Point being, maybe we don't call people "ignorant," if their POV is just different, based on data (anecdotal or otherwise) available to them.

For every scientific study or report, there is one that states the opposite. The CDC and WHO have flip flopped on many issues lately, and people have someone cheered and jeered them all. IDIOTS! GENIUSES! The same people!

Scientists are fallible. Especially government scientists, and/or those with a bias.

Point being, maybe we don't call people "ignorant," if their POV is just different, based on data (anecdotal or otherwise) available to them.

Nope - If you are currently refusing to wear a mask when you're in public you're ignorant. The other option is selfish.

Saying that for every scientific study or report, there is one that states the opposite is hyperbole at best.

You can say scientists are fallible, you can say scientists may be biased, but until you can provide proof that either of those is the case in this instance, that opinion is moot.

The CDC budget is $8 billion/yr and the NIH $38 billion/yr and it appears their statements are based on someone flipping a coin each day. This virus is extremely similar to SARS (structure similar and 4 genes different) and they spent no ongoing money even though MERS was also a problematic Coronavirus and it was certain other Coronaviruses would jump to humans.

The CDC budget is $8 billion/yr and the NIH $38 billion/yr and it appears their statements are based on someone flipping a coin each day. This virus is extremely similar to SARS (structure similar and 4 genes different) and they spent no ongoing money even though MERS was also a problematic Coronavirus and it was certain other Coronaviruses would jump to humans.

Have either of those entities stated recently that we shouldn't wear masks? (In reference to your "flipping a coin" statement.) While this virus may be extremely similar to SARS, it is also obviously extremely different. I don't remember SARS killing 100,000 people in this country.

Nope - If you are currently refusing to wear a mask when you're in public you're ignorant. The other option is selfish.

Saying that for every scientific study or report, there is one that states the opposite is hyperbole at best.

You can say scientists are fallible, you can say scientists may be biased, but until you can provide proof that either of those is the case in this instance, that opinion is moot.
You win. Stating something as fact makes it a fact.

Facts:
Covid 19 won't kill 99.98% of the people that it infects. It won't infect everyone. The flu kills 80,000 people per year in the USA, even with a vaccine and treatment. Do you wear a mask when the flu is going around? If not, why?

Not here to argue. Just don't appreciate being called "ignorant" if I prefer to not wear masks for something I perceive as a low threat to me personally, based on evidence I have at hand. Maybe you live in an area where the risk is great. I don't. Peace out. I wear a mask where REQUIRED, but the moment I can, it comes off, like 99% of people I've witnessed. My office requires it in the lobby, but nowhere else. Disney Springs requires them, but I saw people take them off the INSTANT they walked past security on the way out. Me included.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter