Interesting thread on themeparks board ..party at stormalong bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I just don't have a lens that long to capture it myself!

Maybe everyone should take stations. One at the front desk :chat: , one at Stormalong Bay :beach: , one at the parking lot :moped: . :) (just kidding, really!) But at this point, the story has taken on a life of it's own! I really can't imagine that Disney would be okay with 20 kids and some parents just showing up at the pool unless the mom paid for it in advance (and she may have, there could be a birthday party set up).

But, I'll be in Paris. :artist:

LOL...:lmao: ..You know this is going to become one of those urban legends that spread like wildfire..popcorn::

Sometimes I think DISers forget that not everyone is as well-versed in the "rules and regs" as many of you. Let's not forget that (according to reports) this mom contacted Disney and got an OK, a quite logical move for someone that for instance visits once every year or two and does not spend time on Disney message boards. I have read many a post about DIS members that have received erroneous information from CMs, whether in MS, CRO, on site, etc. - why is it so difficult for some to realize that it is quite possible that this woman believes what she is doing is just fine? And, if indeed she received erroneous info, do you not think Disney should have any responsibility in a solution? (not necessarily deploy the red vans, but something?).

IMO, this is a completely separate issue than those that are simply irate because of the perceived effect of a child's birthday party at SAB (I say perceived as it has not yet occurred). One can be upset at the effect, but still recognize the mother may have no clue that what she is doing may not be permissible.

ITA - there are so many RULES that I would have never even realized existed if I hadn't found the disboards. Pre-DVC, we never pool-hopped - yet I also never, ever noticed the "exclusively for" signs posted at the resort pools. Perhaps I was in vacation "la la land", but I never noticed the sign, didn't know that "pool hopping" even exisited, let alone there was a word for it and would have never guessed it could become such a hot & debated topic among a group of adults!

A former coworker of DH was a DVC owner - he was CLUELESS about the rules and regs. He made an impulse buy on vacation and that was that. From a few discussions with him, I'm sure his wife didn't know much more. My point is, there are MANY members in that boat. And some that may not even know pool-hopping is a DVC privilege - let alone know the exclusions. I think the assumption on these boards is that the guest should ALWAYS know the written rule - and even if they are uncertain and ask a CM who gives them bad advice - they are WRONG and RULE BREAKERS if they follow that advice.

As I posted on the resort board, I am of the opintion the party mom probably has no idea what she is doing is "wrong". Why do most others have such a difficult time giving this woman the benefit of the doubt. Does her ignorance to the rules and regs make her that bad? It is stated that she called the resort - so maybe she called because she didn't KNOW the rules and regs and figured she'd make a call the "experts" to ask. I truly beleive that she made arrangements with someone at the resort (who may or may not have the authority to do so) and is trusting the information she received from the CM. The CM she spoke with is the one who gets paid to know the correct information. Why has she turned out to be the bad guy? As to her saying a few of her child's classmates will be joining - we really don't know her EXACT wording, and she may have figured at a 90 minute drive, no more than a few (ie best friends) would be able to make it - but invite everyone so no hard feelings.

It just really bothers me when people show such an inability to give someone the benefit of the doubt that they were trying to do the right thing (ie call and check with managment in advance.) It just isn't right to assume that EVERY DVC owner's hobby is studying the member guide or disboards and knowing everything inside and out.

I'm sure there are areas of my life where I've been sent printed info on something yet have not read it, lost it, not remembered it and called to clarify. That doesn't make someone a bad person or an idiot - nor does that make her deserve to be publiclly humiliated if a CM did give her the OK.

My feeling is if she truly got an OK from a CM, the BC is responsible for accomodating her party. That's THEIR fault for not better training their employees. The average DVC member can not be held responsible for knowing more than the hotel staff. I realize that is often the case, but it isn't this woman's fault. And if she didn't frequent the disboards, she would probably have NO IDEA how often CM give out misinformation..

As far as rules go, they are posted at every pool at any resort. That takes no effort to read DIS to figure those out.
Don't know what you think you read in my post, but I'm neither irate nor upset.
I was only posting my opinion about the suggestion of the use of DVC vehicles and members fees that pay for those vehicles.

Responsibility is sometimes easier to lay at another's door. That happens at Disney or elsewhere.

I have in many posts said Ido want the child to have a wonderful party, however, IMHO this hypothetical situation does not sound as if it will go well.

~DW:3dglasses

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding - these threads are growing so quickly, and I don't know how to do a "multi-quote" - I was not addressing you directly re:"being irate" (or even about the tendency to forget not everyone embraces the advantages of the DIS) but rather referring to the tone of a number of posts in the 2 threads. I didn't see the original post re: the vans, but again - I wasn't necessarily saying you were wrong about the vans, but rather posing the Q (to the thread) of "isn't there a chance that this mom is not 100% at fault" and perhaps someone (from Disney) should step in and mitigate the consequences?

ITA - there are so many RULES that I would have never even realized existed if I hadn't found the disboards. Pre-DVC, we never pool-hopped - yet I also never, ever noticed the "exclusively for" signs posted at the resort pools. Perhaps I was in vacation "la la land", but I never noticed the sign, didn't know that "pool hopping" even exisited, let alone there was a word for it and would have never guessed it could become such a hot & debated topic among a group of adults!

A former coworker of DH was a DVC owner - he was CLUELESS about the rules and regs. He made an impulse buy on vacation and that was that. From a few discussions with him, I'm sure his wife didn't know much more. My point is, there are MANY members in that boat. And some that may not even know pool-hopping is a DVC privilege - let alone know the exclusions. I think the assumption on these boards is that the guest should ALWAYS know the written rule - and even if they are uncertain and ask a CM who gives them bad advice - they are WRONG and RULE BREAKERS if they follow that advice.

As I posted on the resort board, I am of the opintion the party mom probably has no idea what she is doing is "wrong". Why do most others have such a difficult time giving this woman the benefit of the doubt. Does her ignorance to the rules and regs make her that bad? It is stated that she called the resort - so maybe she called because she didn't KNOW the rules and regs and figured she'd make a call the "experts" to ask. I truly beleive that she made arrangements with someone at the resort (who may or may not have the authority to do so) and is trusting the information she received from the CM. The CM she spoke with is the one who gets paid to know the correct information. Why has she turned out to be the bad guy? As to her saying a few of her child's classmates will be joining - we really don't know her EXACT wording, and she may have figured at a 90 minute drive, no more than a few (ie best friends) would be able to make it - but invite everyone so no hard feelings.

It just really bothers me when people show such an inability to give someone the benefit of the doubt that they were trying to do the right thing (ie call and check with managment in advance.) It just isn't right to assume that EVERY DVC owner's hobby is studying the member guide or disboards and knowing everything inside and out.

I'm sure there are areas of my life where I've been sent printed info on something yet have not read it, lost it, not remembered it and called to clarify. That doesn't make someone a bad person or an idiot - nor does that make her deserve to be publiclly humiliated if a CM did give her the OK.

My feeling is if she truly got an OK from a CM, the BC is responsible for accomodating her party. That's THEIR fault for not better training their employees. The average DVC member can not be held responsible for knowing more than the hotel staff. I realize that is often the case, but it isn't this woman's fault. And if she didn't frequent the disboards, she would probably have NO IDEA how often CM give out misinformation..
Very well said. :thumbsup2

Whats this about having to study the small print? I thought commen sense would tell you not to bring 20 families to a hotel pool where you have rented one room.

Well there are many more than two options for this party...Its not as cut and dry as 1) exclude the kids and leave a bad taste in the mouths ..or 2) allow them to stay and upset guests.
How about party mom coughs up the dough and pays for the kids to go to BB..or TL...or one of the many many restaurants...mini golf..theme parks ..you name it ..its there to be had.:)
Of course this requires party mom actually putting her hand in her own pocket..thats something for her to decide on the day.popcorn::

I don't see the "many more...options" here. It still seems to me that unless there is some intervention and a "meeting of the minds", once the guests show up that there are no more options than the 2 scenarios - there are just variations as to "what comes next". IMO your suggestion is simply a follow up to #1. Requiring a mom to "cough up the dough" after she was told she could have some guests at SAB (remember, that was my premise to my statement) would likely "leave a bad taste" IMO, and based on some pretty strong opinions voiced on this thread, allowing the party to continue "as is" would upset a number of DVC owners. Again, JMO.

BTW, I'm NOT saying she should or shouldn't stay, or should or shouldn't have been told that, etc. I'm also not saying DVC owners/guests don't have a right to care or be upset, etc. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, for sure. I'm simply saying that once those people show up the options will be limited, and I think Disney will try to limit lasting bad impressions as much as possible.

My feeling is if she truly got an OK from a CM, the BC is responsible for accomodating her party. That's THEIR fault for not better training their employees.

Are you assuming the CM answered incorrectly??? The CM could have answered CORRECTLY based on the question asked.

If she is renting a 2 bedroom that night, and she asked a CM if she could have up to 7 guests with her to go to SAB and have a party, then the CM is correct and all will be fine...

If more than 20+parents+siblings show up.... well... we know what usually happens...

DVC rules or no DVC rules -I read the rules after writing a check for $$$-
Common sense tells you that you are guest of the Hotel and you are paying for the use of the amenites at the Hotel and the key word is pay you are renting a use you do not own and have no right to invire your friends to something you do not own.
although SAB is nice, it is nice place to spend time with close friends and family....
a few weeks ago I saw a family putting tables togeter (right behind where I was sitting) in the food court of a mall to have a Birthday party for thier child and about 15 invited guests.
Why not have it at your house?????? I would be embarrassed to have my sons birthday party anywhere but my house or a rented blocked off section of something.
But again Common sense would tells me if I want to have a party outside of property I exclusively own I need to pay for it with taking a chance of someone questioning what I am doing and even without most guests with common sense would pick up on the fact that this was not an arranged party.
My question is even if a CM said yes would this not be common sense to realize it is not free?
yes I stayed (what else do I have to do on weeeknds with a 10 month old) and watched the party for a while nothing funny happened except and this is probably the explination.. the husband (yes that is correct) took care of ordering the Pizza while the wife sat a close table woofing down a large styrofoam thing of chinese food whne she was done she directed people where to put things as she sat in a differnt chair I do ot knwo if she had any pizza though but would guess she did and she was chummy with the cake.

Are you assuming the CM answered incorrectly??? The CM could have answered CORRECTLY based on the question asked.

If she is renting a 2 bedroom that night, and she asked a CM if she could have up to 7 guests with her to go to SAB and have a party, then the CM is correct and all will be fine...

If more than 20+parents+siblings show up.... well... we know what usually happens...

That's clearly not what I said - in that case, the CM answered the question correctly. If she asked if 7 people could accompany her and she intended on it being 20, clearly she was wrong. She likely said "some" at what point I beleive it would be the CM's responsibility to inform her of the policy. If she intended on leaving a list of the names w/ the front desk, it wouldn''t make sense for her to ask from 7 and then provide 20.

Regarding the poster who said they wrote check and now they know the rules - I personally got a VERY thick packet of information. I don't claim to know it all and if I had a question I would call member services or ask a CM for clairification. Kudos to you for having the ability to memorize all that info.

I agree - the whole story doesn't add up - but my point is, we don't have the whole story - it wouldn't make sense for it to be "free", but maybe she called for the price and was told, they don't offer packages, but it "wouldn't be a problem" for her guests to join her - WHO KNOWS!!!?!

Bottom line is - I guess it is more "fun" for everyone to assume she is either some cheapskate looking for a free party or feels she has some entitlement as a DVC owner to do whatever she wants. She MAY have tried to do the right thing and either from misinformation or a misunderstanding been told the RIGHT thing. Why is that so very hard for people to believe? Because the posts aren't nearly as interesting that way - that's why.

And regarding the "mall party" in a previous post - that is very common where I used to live. The kids would meet at the mall and either eat and do Build a Bear (girls) or the arcade (boys). I guess this way parents weren't taking the kids two places? Either way, it was completely sanctioned by the mall management, although it was on a "space available" basis and there was no reservation process. I agree that I would personally be more comfortable hosting a party at home, but just wanted to let you know that in some areas, this is common practice.

Regarding the poster who said they wrote check and now they know the rules - I personally got a VERY thick packet of information. I don't claim to know it all and if I had a question I would call member services or ask a CM for clairification. Kudos to you for having the ability to memorize all that info.

I said I read the rules not know the rules as I read my contract when I bought my house and all the information supplied to me when I buy a car. I feel as the buyer I should take the time to read the information provided before signing a material contract.

I do not see why you need to take offense to me understanding and using the information provided.

I said I read the rules not know the rules as I read my contract when I bought my house and all the information supplied to me when I buy a car. I feel as the buyer I should take the time to read the information provided before signing a material contract.

I do not see why you need to take offense to me understanding and using the information provided.

No offense taken - but I think "materiality" is the key concept here. And I don't think pool hopping / pool usage was a "material" rule/reg when most people signed their contract. I know that personally I was primarily concerned with dues/expiration/reservations/banking/borrowing. Most of the rest (and some of the intricacies of those listed above), I learned here from the veterans here- not from the member guide or tiny print documents we signed.

Please can anyone here who happens to be at SAB that day please please don't mention the Disboards to the party mom.
The OP beejie is VERY worried that the party mom might come to the dis and identify her...she is worried for her son..:sad2:
I know its very very unlikely that anyone would but beejie wants to make sure...I think she will post here herself. Iam sorry to say she has been quite worried.

I have thought myself that its possible the party mom could even be an occasional reader of the boards....certainly possible.

Although the OP only asked if what the mom was doing is possible - so nothing really to worry about in her question - now some of the answers have been a little vehement in their posts but the OP really only asked one simple question and did not editorialize.

Liz

I came home and there was a notice in DS10's folder saying that the party had been cancelled due to a "family emergency".

I never meant for this to become such a heated topic of discussion, and when I heard people talking about lying in wait for party mom, I was afraid it would get back to her that it was me. I didn't want to cause more reasons for DS to be ridiculed at school (doesn't fit in, etc.).

Thank you for your interest in my question. I never meant to cause this much discussion. It was very nice to get the PM's from DISer's I'd never met before and got to know a couple people from the closed thread who live in the surrounding areas.

Beejie.

That is too funny!

It's too bad I am heading to Europe, I might have wanted to check it out (just out of curiousity at this point!) :)

Oh come on! Don't be so selfish....geez, Europe's been there thousands of years, and will be there thousands more. This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity! :lmao:

Did I mention my childhood nickname was "Nose-arella"? :cutie:

OK, now that I've read all the way through, it looks like the party is off. But I have a question about DVC ownership interests at BCV, particularly as it pertains to SAB. Since the pool complex is part of YC/BC resort, but shared by BCV, how much does BCV actually own and how does upkeep work? In other words, let's say the pool costs $100/yr :rotfl: to operate. How much does BCV pay to that fund? Half? More or less? :confused3

I could (as has been suggested in this thread) go back to my contract documents and read :headache: , but it's more fun, easier and just as effective to ask DIS readers. :love:

I came home and there was a notice in DS10's folder saying that the party had been cancelled due to a "family emergency".

I never meant for this to become such a heated topic of discussion, and when I heard people talking about lying in wait for party mom, I was afraid it would get back to her that it was me. I didn't want to cause more reasons for DS to be ridiculed at school (doesn't fit in, etc.).

Thank you for your interest in my question. I never meant to cause this much discussion. It was very nice to get the PM's from DISer's I'd never met before and got to know a couple people from the closed thread who live in the surrounding areas.

Beejie.

I have to say after hours of reading, I hate there is a family emergency, but for the sake of the birthday girl I am sure glad the party is cancelled!

Now that we all know 100% that this party won't happen, is there a reason to keep this thread open because the one on the Resort board was closed.

Now that we all know 100% that this party won't happen, is there a reason to keep this thread open because the one on the Resort board was closed.

Yes, as there are still unanswered questions about 'certain poster's ' POV's on several related issues.
If I'm not mistaken, that includes yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter