Is There Such A Thing As Too Much?

LMA712014

Mouseketeer
There is obviously no right or wrong answer to this question, first of all. I know my husband would say YES (he’s just not -that- into Disney at all, which I can respect).

But is there such a thing as too much Disney in the course of a year? I can’t imagine it growing stale in our season of life with toddlers, as we honestly did 1/4 of what we could have done on our last trip. I would LOVE to make a trip when the Christmas decor is up (say November), February is our go to due to my husbands love of the Ritchie Bros auction and then there’s late September/early October for the Halloween party.

While I was pricing scenarios (we have an RV lot reserved for February 2019), I wondered if going in November this year, then the February trip and then an October trip would be overkill. If we did AP’s, this scenario would basically equal a free set of tickets.

We aren’t local, so there’s travel of course, but thanks to the RV the costs are reasonable. And it means more sunshine too (Maine winters are draining at best).

So long winded! But I’m just curious to hear various opinions on others experiences since I’m so considerably lacking haha. I love the planning aspect, so I’m thinking maybe I’m just in Nor’easter delusions over here!

We're finishing up an AP that expires the end of June. We also had one from June 2015 to June 2016. Each AP got us 50-52 days in the parks. DW is ready to move on, but the kids and I are nowhere near bored with it.

We're not planners. We spend maybe 30-60 minutes planning a 2 week trip.

When my DS was younger, we did multiple WDW trips per year (probably up to 5 in one year). It was an easy trip to take and it was fun. We also took advantage of the seasonal offerings (festivals, parties, etc.). Now that he is older (10) we still go down at least twice a year and we always have a great time. With a toddler, yes, I would do it! WDW makes vacationing with small children easier than many other destinations!

There is obviously no right or wrong answer to this question, first of all. I know my husband would say YES (he’s just not -that- into Disney at all, which I can respect).

But is there such a thing as too much Disney in the course of a year? I can’t imagine it growing stale in our season of life with toddlers, as we honestly did 1/4 of what we could have done on our last trip. I would LOVE to make a trip when the Christmas decor is up (say November), February is our go to due to my husbands love of the Ritchie Bros auction and then there’s late September/early October for the Halloween party.

While I was pricing scenarios (we have an RV lot reserved for February 2019), I wondered if going in November this year, then the February trip and then an October trip would be overkill. If we did AP’s, this scenario would basically equal a free set of tickets.

We aren’t local, so there’s travel of course, but thanks to the RV the costs are reasonable. And it means more sunshine too (Maine winters are draining at best).

So long winded! But I’m just curious to hear various opinions on others experiences since I’m so considerably lacking haha. I love the planning aspect, so I’m thinking maybe I’m just in Nor’easter delusions over here!
I just bought a AP this Dec and we are planning our 3rd and 4th trip before year end. We went for a week each time and it's a blast. Also HS will have new rides this summer so it's great!

We bought AP on our trip last Oct. Then hubby surprised me with a 3 day DCL trip for my bday in Nov. We went a few days early and did the parks. We had already planned our fall 2018 trip to be right before the AP expire. Then hubby told me last week he wants to go for his bday weekend in June.
That 4x in one year. It's just too much for me. When I say I'm sick of it, I start to feel bad bc I know my DDs will only be this young once and the magic will not be there forever.
We are DVC, so hotel is taken care of. We do have to fly though and the airfare sure adds up.
I know I will have fun once we are there but I'm just not feeling it this time.

Thank you all for the insights!

I’m caught in limbo because if we went this November, stuck with our February 2019 trip and then returned in Sept/Oct 2019 we’d get the most bang for our buck on an AP (save roughly $1800+ on tickets alone) and we’d be out before Star Wars opening in November.

If we go in February 2019 going that November would be a headache unless we went in early November prior to the opening.

Disney with Christmas decor sounds so amazing though!

I've been about 30 times, and fly every time (but one, when we drove and were gone for 2 weeks, mostly at Disney, but never again).

Only YOU can decide! I've been 3 times in a year, with my kids (DH doesn't always go, so I can't say if he was along maybe one of them). We've had AP's a few times, and I'm getting one Monday when we check in. I already have next week trip booked and the last week of May booked (next week is me and the kids; May is just me and DH), and I plan on at LEAST 2 more trips with the AP (now that youngest is in college, I can go when I want and want to see Food & Wine). I plan on taking DH to F&W, and maybe a solo trip or two or another one with him.

We do travel other places as well. In April DH and I are going to Mexico for his birthday (yeah, we have 3 trips in 3 months so far, plus I'm sure this summer we'll go a couple places).

I'm not quite sure how driving an RV all the way from Maine is less than flying. Our two round trip flights for May (Memorial Day weekend included in it), was less than $300 for DH and me on Southwest. It's a 2 hour flight from Baltimore. Saves days of driving (when we did drive, we did it in a straight shot of 14 hours or so, and that was when I was young!). I do understand it's less to rent the RV campsite than a deluxe resort, but that drive would wipe me out at my age! I'm just throwing that out there, that you can consider flying to save time.

I used to get flack from some folks, asking WHY I'd want to go back to Disney AGAIN. I do go other places, but for most of my kids' spring breaks, it was an easy vacation (no, it's not "travel" but it's "vacation" where we just go and relax, have fun, whatever). We're not into characters, but enjoy going to Disney for the ambiance. It's easy to get to and get around. Not sure why others needed to poke their noses into why I went where I did. I'd say if others do that to you, just do what you want! If you want to go 5 times in a year, and can do it, go for it! If you want to go to Niagara Falls, go for it!

PS: There are still some attractions I've never experienced! Kali River Rapids is one of them! I often wear a sundress, and not keen on the possibility of getting myself soaked (unless I'm in a pool)!

So much good info!

Even flying from Maine we’re looking at $550 each way roughly (with the baby as a lap child) so that’s $1100 in flights minimum without the cost of luggage, a rental car (because we’ve flown into Orlando Sanford historically) and the whole lugging little people (and 3 car seats) onto a plane. We also go Presidents Day week in February and flights this year were $2300 for us. With gas being roughly $1200-1500 it’s either a wash or savings to drive (depending on when we go).

It also may take two 13 hour days to drive (roughly, depending how we split it) but it’s also convenient with a fridge of food and a bathroom and so on. We may grow to hate it hahaha, but in this season of life it’s kind of relaxing.

And then you factor in how camping at the Fort for a week is $750-1200ish depending on when you go (plus having a fridge and kitchen to cook for convenience and what that equates to for food savings) it’s just logical for us!

Now as our kids get older that could totally change! Hahaha. And we may do the drive and swear never again!

With that being said I can see us traveling other places too on the east coast! But Disney is so simplistic in so many ways for us right now, the Fort is relaxing and our kids are in the stage where they think it’s magical (and I’m happy to soak that up as long as possible!)

I agree, Disney is so simple! Are there 5 of you, and 3 need car seats? Wow that is a lot of load.

I still can't do 2 13 hour day driving; you figure on vacation time is money, so that's four days added on that you could be enjoying the vacation, parks, swimming (maybe; next week is gonna be so cold we aren't bringing suits). And although we cook in Hawaii on vacation, I find that I plan on cooking at Disney and if we stay on site, I don't. We have gotten great deals off site and I did cook, when we stayed a long time (longest was 15 nights, and that was also the cheapest trip I've taken there!).

I agree, Disney is so simple! Are there 5 of you, and 3 need car seats? Wow that is a lot of load.

I still can't do 2 13 hour day driving; you figure on vacation time is money, so that's four days added on that you could be enjoying the vacation, parks, swimming (maybe; next week is gonna be so cold we aren't bringing suits). And although we cook in Hawaii on vacation, I find that I plan on cooking at Disney and if we stay on site, I don't. We have gotten great deals off site and I did cook, when we stayed a long time (longest was 15 nights, and that was also the cheapest trip I've taken there!).

We’re due with baby #3 in June so yes! It’d be 3 car seats and lugging 2 suitcases and 2 car seats and 2 toddlers was a big enough pain - hahaha. I can’t imagine adding another car seat and infant and luggage.

If my husband and I rotate driving we can probably bang it out faster and take day one at the resort to just relax and recoup. Like I said, we may decide it’s a one and done for us (but at this stage it offers so many perks in not packing and lugging and having kids cooped up on a plane and so on).

Thankfully my husband is self employed and I stay home SO we also don’t have to factor in taking off more days for the most part (aka him being gone an extra day or two won’t sink the ship because his guys will still be working while we’re gone)

We have not gone in ten years so not for us. Although our wallet would say otherwise :) We will see after this trip

For me? No way! But we are getting ready for our 4th trip this year (with another still planned) and my 11 year did say she wished she had one school break where we weren't running to Disney. We spent all of Christmas break there and getting ready to return for Spring Break and 2 weeks as soon as school is out. I think she just wants some time to hang at the house with friends.

I’m caught in limbo because if we went this November, stuck with our February 2019 trip and then returned in Sept/Oct 2019 we’d get the most bang for our buck on an AP (save roughly $1800+ on tickets alone) and we’d be out before Star Wars opening in November.

I don't think I could ever get sick of Disney, so I vote to get the most out of your AP's!!

Disney with Christmas decor sounds so amazing though!

As far as I know, they start putting the Christmas stuff up as they're taking the Halloween stuff down, so you should be able to see some the Christmas decorations no matter what time in November you go.

I don't think I could ever get sick of Disney, so I vote to get the most out of your AP's!!

As far as I know, they start putting the Christmas stuff up as they're taking the Halloween stuff down, so you should be able to see some the Christmas decorations no matter what time in November you go.

I’m caught between mid November and early/mid December. I really want to at least reserve our spot (juuust to be safe).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter