It's **ABSOLUTELY** OFFICIAL! Magic sails Europe - Summer 2007!

tvguy said:
Cheapest inside cabin, on the cheap cruise, the repo.

$2000 per person not including port charges and taxes.

Airfare, $1480 per person not including gate fees and taxes.

Family of 4, $13,920.......exactly double what our category 6 Eastern New Years Eve 2003/2004 cost.
Bet this doesn't sell out in a flash like the west coast cruises did.

I think, you need to compare the price to something more recent like 2007 New Years week. Cruising prices have gone up in general.

In comparison to my Thanksgiving Cruise 2007 the price is the same if you figure out the price per day. It is about $1000 per day for 2 adults & 2 young children. Alot of things can cause your price to be different from someone elses.

Also, on Orbitz I priced out flights from Sacramento for this summer and the rates were about $1000 per person including taxes. Not sure if gate fees were included though.

seaulater said:
Wonder how many DVC points this cruise will be? Might want to switch to points at the 11 month window...............

It is already listed on the DVC Member Site according to the information there, they are extending the 11 month window for DCL bookings so that we can start booking on April 4. :thumbsup2

Bad news is that for my wife and I, it would be 866 points for a Category 8 on a 10 night cruise. While I could do that with judicious banking and borrowing, not sure if that worth it. :confused3

Lthouseprincess - the Atlantic is most likely to be relatively calm in May and August. Historically, that's a good time to do a transatlantic. But bear in mind it is a BIG piece of water and conditions can vary from day to day. The DM is a big modern ship and should sail the Atlantic well enough, but she is not specifically designed for those seas (ideally, transatlantic ships would be close to 1,000ft long and have a draft of around 30ft). At that time of year, she should sail through comfortably, but August is also hurricane season, and that can stir up the Atlantic somewhat (although ships obviously don't go anywhere near hurricanes themselves). I would certainly be confident enough to do a transatlantic on the DM at that time of year, but there are no guarantees in deep-water sailing!

CPM: You won't find too many Europeans queuing up at DCL prices. There is WAY too much competition in the Med for people to pay such a premium price for such an ordinary (by Med standards) cruise. And there is still the fact most people would still have to fly to Barcelona (from the UK, only about $150/person, but still a significant amount for a family of four) AND pay port taxes, which add a lot to a cruise hereabouts. Most European cruise lines include port taxes and most will also discount to attract passengers, so DCL can't count on filling up from the likes of the UK. I know the cruise biz pretty well and am genuinely shocked at what DCL are charging, but then they only have 10 cruises to fill so they can probably justify it.

I'd just like to extend a word of caution to those cruisers who think they can get a better deal if they split their airline tickets, e.g. fly to/from Barcelona using a major international airport like JFK or ATL and then purchase a low-priced ticket to/from their local city. You may save some money, but there are major drawbacks. We did this once, not so much for saving money, but because we were traveling overseas with the entire family and wanted to all be together on the international flight. It ended up being a disaster. First of all, you will not be able to check your luggage through the final destination which means you need to retrieve it, re-check it, and then go through security again. At a major airport this can take a big chunk of time. Secondly, if your first flight is delayed or cancelled and you miss the second portion, it's not the airline's fault and they really don't have to make it up to you. On the other hand, if you have basically one ticket covering the entire trip (even if you use multiple airlines) they will have to accommodate you if one of the flights is delayed and you miss a connection. This includes booking you on another flight without penalty (and possible upgrade!) and maybe even putting you up somewhere for the night. My suggestion would be that if splitting the ticket really saves you a ton of money, it may be wise to fly into the major city at night, stayover in a lowcost airport hotel with a shuttle, and then do the international flight the next day. It's just something to think about before you decide to do it that way.......

CPM said:
You could probably call yourself & have your TA call. Then transfer over if you get through first. Probably will be the same price at first, then up to your TA to offer any kind of return or credit.

When we were booking the panama cruise we got through and our TA got through right away. Prices were the same.

OH MY!! I would love to go on this seeing we lived in Naples Italy for 3 years and DD was born there and we left when she was 2 years old and would LOVE for her to see where she was born and where we lived (she is now 10). Unfortunatly being Military we don't make enough money to do a trip like this but oh it would be nice to visit those places again Rome, Palermo, Naples, Spain OH MY!! I WANT TO gooooooo........:guilty:

A question for previous "repo" cruisers-when you have so many at sea days what kinds of activities does Disney offer to fill the time?

mom_rules said:
A question for previous "repo" cruisers-when you have so many at sea days what kinds of activities does Disney offer to fill the time?

Well....where to start............

1. We were able to "play" in the Oceaneer's Lab one night. They took all the kids away (on the westbound PC there were about 300 total kids on board). They (Cruise staff) didn't think many would show up. Well, we surprised them. It was packed. We drew pictures, played games, became "mad" scientists making flubber, and just had a great time.

2. We begged and begged for a midnight showing of Pirates of the Carribean on pirate night and kept getting "no" over and over again. Well, I was persistent and kept asking. Cruise staff finally allowed us to have a midnight showing on Pirate night and about 150 of us showed up and cheered and acted like pirates for 2 hours watching the show. It was a blast. I was just warned before hand "no one can be sitting in the aisles".

3. There was a whole wine series with one of those wine guys (sorry, I don't know much about that stuff). He was like some real famous wine guy and his classes were packed.

4. A whole series of classes on different subjects. Found out how to make some really great desserts and appetizers.

5. The whole murder mystery at sea thing.

6. Some of our friends organized a disboard scavenger hunt. That was great. It was a digital camera scavenger hunt. Then we brought our camera back and showed the pictures. It was timed and a blast.

7. Our friends from Mouse Adventure did a scavenger hunt also. It was great.

8. Dreams Unlimited sponsored a wine tasting party in one of the clubs and everyone brought their favorite bottle of wine (this was an invitation only event through disboards). It was prearranged with the ship.

9. We had someone from the disboards arrange with everyone on the dis thread for a stateroom tour for each category of stateroom. The crew members thought that was great. We went from deck to deck checking it all out.

10. We did some disboard group things for shore excursions that you pre-signed up for (like ATV's in Cabo and scuba diving in Curacao).

I thought the sea days would be hard to fill, but to be honest, there was so much going on you had to choose and sometimes it was hard to make decisions because you might have to miss Ducky Williams in order to go to a class on appetizers.

Oh, and I pre-arranged a scrapbook class and disneypindiva prearranged a pin trading thing and the pin traders got together. We also did a scrapbook exchange for those that wanted to participate. We had 50 people come to that.

I can't wait for 6 sea days. I am sure Rachel and the cruise staff will have many more activities planned this time based on our feedback from the last cruise and what we wanted to do. They really couldn't believe we wanted to play in the Oceaneer Lab and that we would show up. We did try to get permission to go down the Mickey slide and I even asked one of the engineers in the captains question/answer session. But they gave me the story about the weight limit. So I said, you mean no cast member has ever gone down the slide? They just laughed.

Oh, and must we not forget-we had the first ever sleep out on deck three in the limited edition pin line. And then another one of our disboard buddies had arranged for us to all go to breakfast the next morning in our PJ's.

So, we didn't have a hard time entertaining ourselves, to say the least!

CPM said:
It might,probably not as fast, just because Europeans *may* go for it. Something different for them to chose from, plus no airfare.

Very very unlikely at those prices :confused3 :sad2: :sad2: Port choices are not the best niether.

winotracy said:
I don't think I want a balcony on the repo. I'll have to try to convince DH now to go :teeth:

Why would you not want a balcony on the repo

any one got an free up grade on the last repo cruise

jns said:

There is a whole lot of ocean to look at, but after 6 days I am guessing it will all look pretty much the same :rotfl2: . I would love a balcony just for the fresh air, but can't afford the trip unless we significantly downgrade. :sad2:

I figure this will be my opportunity to spend more time on Deck 4 and 9/10.

jns said:

Too windy. If the weather is cooler or the water is rough, we won't use it. We used the balcony a lot on the August repo, when we were in ports and going through the Panama Canal. We couldn't use it at all a couple days because of wind and one day because of a hurricane.

We had a one category upgrade on the repo.

Seaulater-I want to go just based on the fun time you had on the PC cruise! a scrapbook day would be so fun on a cruise.

Dreams contacted me yesterday as soon as it was official. They are on the ball, I have never used them before but am looking forward to it if we are able to swing this cruise.

Seaulater - I just sent your list of stuff to DH! Trying to convince him that all those days at sea are a good thing! :banana:

mom_rules said:

Then Linda said:
1. We were able to "play" in the Oceaneer's Lab one night. They took all the kids away (on the westbound PC there were about 300 total kids on board). They (Cruise staff) didn't think many would show up. Well, we surprised them. It was packed. We drew pictures, played games, became "mad" scientists making flubber, and just had a great time.

Yes and the Disboard people had a reputation :rotfl2:

Click here to find out: Taking over the lab

Sea days were packed! By DCL activites and group things we did.

Debbie

seaulater said:
Well....where to start............

1. We were able to "play" in the Oceaneer's Lab one night.
2. We begged and begged for a midnight showing of Pirates of the Carribean on pirate night
3. There was a whole wine series with one of those wine guys
4. A whole series of classes on different subjects. Found out how to make some really great desserts and appetizers.
5. The whole murder mystery at sea thing.
6. Some of our friends organized a disboard scavenger hunt.
7. Our friends from Mouse Adventure did a scavenger hunt also.
8. Dreams Unlimited sponsored a wine tasting party in one of the clubs and everyone brought their favorite bottle of wine (this was an invitation only event through disboards). It was prearranged with the ship.
9. We had someone from the disboards arrange with everyone on the dis thread for a stateroom tour for each category of stateroom.
10. We did some disboard group things for shore excursions that you pre-signed up for (like ATV's in Cabo and scuba diving in Curacao).

I thought the sea days would be hard to fill, but to be honest, there was so much going on you had to choose and sometimes it was hard to make decisions because you might have to miss Ducky Williams in order to go to a class on appetizers.

Oh, and I pre-arranged a scrapbook class and disneypindiva prearranged a pin trading thing and the pin traders got together. We also did a scrapbook exchange for those that wanted to participate.

Oh, and must we not forget-we had the first ever sleep out on deck three in the limited edition pin line. And then another one of our disboard buddies had arranged for us to all go to breakfast the next morning in our PJ's.

So, we didn't have a hard time entertaining ourselves, to say the least!

Linda! Great job on the summary of our activities!

...We also had some great seminars by Jason Surrell on Pirates of the Carribean Oh! AND there was the sailaway banner "someone named Linda" made to send us off. There was a group activity right at the start... holding that thing up! DCL did nothing special for our departure, but we made our own fun. (They did do special things for the first cruise out of California though...)

I have to say, it was the activities created by those who cruised together which made the trip. Most of us had never met outside of the DIS boards, and yet, now we are like family. Meeting everyone for the first time in the cruise terminal was quite something!

We made the best of the Pin situation by creating a sleep over. We had a group picture of everyone dressed as Pirates (by the ship's photographer) We linked our dining ressies so we could sit together and catch up at the end of each day. We kept lists of who went on which excursion so we could contact others ahead of time. We rushed out to Walmart to buy flipflops that blinked to wear at our pajama breakfast. We even had a farewell luncheon our last day. The fun is what you make of the trip. I've learned I can't depend on DCL to provide my entertainment. The service is unbeatable. But, that being said, too many times I've been disappointed, because I have high expectations of what I would like to see on special cruises (understatement!).

The beauty of what Linda shared about our activities is that we met on these boards and made lasting friendships. For us, should we take the first repro to Europe, crossing the Atlantic on the MAGIC will be secondary, (let's face it... these costs are WAY too high...) it will be going with our friends. I'm sure the activities we will plan will equal anything DCL comes up with.

bonzie1 said:

I'm sure the activities we will plan will equal anything DCL comes up with.

PARTY IN JOE AND GEORGIE'S ROOM!!!!!

Ken

Here's a question to those who did this last year....

If my TA will be booking a room for me, and I am on the phone with DCL at the same time, do I have to pay double the deposits? Or do I have a day to decide which room I really want, cancel the other and then pay the deposit? I hate putting this vacation on a TA I have never worked with before, so I thought I will try to get a room at the same time.

I don't want to pose this question to my TA because they may realize they may lose me as a customer and put me at the bottom list.

The TA says she has a notebook full of names; if that is true, it could take a while for them to book me a room. I figure instead of waiting by the phone, I might as well and try calling DCL themselves.

Any ideas? :confused3

Thanks!!!!!!! :wave:

misseulalie said:
Here's a question to those who did this last year....

If my TA will be booking a room for me, and I am on the phone with DCL at the same time, do I have to pay double the deposits? Or do I have a day to decide which room I really want, cancel the other and then pay the deposit? I hate putting this vacation on a TA I have never worked with before, so I thought I will try to get a room at the same time.

I don't want to pose this question to my TA because they may realize they may lose me as a customer and put me at the bottom list.

The TA says she has a notebook full of names; if that is true, it could take a while for them to book me a room. I figure instead of waiting by the phone, I might as well and try calling DCL themselves.

Any ideas? :confused3

Thanks!!!!!!! :wave:

If you want a specific room, you need to pay the deposits. THey usually give you 5 days to make that payment.

If your TA is smart, they will weed through the list before the 4th. The rates are out there, a lot of people will change their minds and not want to go.

Also, if you call and book a room and you TA calls and books you a room, you are causing the tier pricing to become inflated, not on purpose, but the sooner the rooms are even set aside on holding for deposits, the inventory is lessened, thus the rules of supply and demand come into play. It happened with the PC cruises, lots of people had more than one room on hold and mby the time deposits had to be paid, the rates were a lot higher, those who did not get a room held on the first day were left paying a lot more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter