Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

No, the standard rooms, in general, are simply “less desirable” views. They can often be what I would consider lovely views, but marred in some way by a roof or as you will see reported throughout this thread a “people pen” (the colloquial name for the safety enclosures which are necessary because an emergency escape of the hotel could put humans on the savanna with animals). The standard rooms can also mean views of the parking lot, which, while not the most desirable view, can be conveniently located. My favorite room is the one that fits my needs for that particular trip - sometimes it’s a scenic view, sometimes it’s convenience of location. If the latter, I will just request to be as close to the lobby as possible. If the former, I request any partial savanna view. I’ve had great luck at AKL with room location requests.

The best maps I know of are on touring plans. I pay for a subscription so I’m not sure if the resort maps are behind the pay wall, but I don’t think they are. Let me know if I can help with any specific requests - I’m always glad to pay it forward because the posters here have been so kind.
Thank you so much for the helpful response! I’m glad to hear that request seem to be much better! We have stayed at the Pop century for our last 3 trips just for the sake of cheap and convenient (it was always available to book). But we’ve had nothing but a slew of issues including rooms that were poorly located even after placing a request or paying for a higher category room (such as preferred) - to terrible busing with each trip getting worse.

Also out of curiosity is everything connected more so like a typical hotel where the rooms are connected to the lobby and dining and are the busing areas covered? - and any tips for new timers staying at this resort :)

Also out of curiosity is everything connected more so like a typical hotel where the rooms are connected to the lobby and dining and are the busing areas covered? - and any tips for new timers staying at this resort :)

I have not had a chance to stay at Pop yet but I want to visit as it looks like fun and the new rooms look very nice after the refurbishment!

At Jambo House everything is connected and at Kidani everything is connected, and the two are connected by a walkway (like Pop and Art of Animation). Each is connected to dining and you don’t have to go outside like at the values - at Jambo House you do have to go “outside” to get to the Mara quick service but it’s a quick walk and under a roof the whole way. The bus shelters are under a roof but I think you have a short way to walk outside with no roof to get there. There is a nice shortcut available through the gift shop in case of bad weather!

Tips: make sure to plan more time at the resort. At Jambo House where the regular hotel rooms are all located, you have my favorite pool on property. So many loungers, lovely music, great atmosphere. The bakery makes amazing treats, we love them. I will go out of my way from another resort or offsite to have the Boma breakfast buffet. We love Jiko for a date night. The resort has the United States of America’s largest selection of African (or South African?) wines. If you like wine, try the flights at the restaurant. Don’t forget to check out the recreation guide for free tours at Jambo and Kidani. The cultural tour that meets at Sanaa is in my top 10 must do again experiences at Disney. Don’t go in with high expectations, it’s free. But it’s free! What you get is great. If you get a “poor” view, enjoy leisure time at the public overlooks of Savannas. They are often deserted and very nice to pass the time. Oh I’m jealous now, last tip, bring me!

Has anyone gone to the Usiku Festival? The April calendar shows that it alternates nights with the Movie Under the Stars. It's description says there are "light-up games for the whole family, special prizes, and glow-in-the-dark crafts". It sounds like something my kids would enjoy if it continues in to May.

We have a reservation at Sanaa when we go. From what I've read we should take the resort bus from Jambo to get there? Where does the resort bus come and go from and does it have a sign that reads resort bus?

We added a room only day at the start of our 4 night trip at Music. At first I booked CBR but they have apparently ripped up a huge portion of the resort and so we switched to AKL.

It's been my dream to stay here for a LONG time and I'm super excited! It's a big splurge for us but I justified it because we will be spending the whole day at the resort.

We plan on doing lots of the activities, watching the animals and having dinner at Boma.

We got pool view which I didn't want but it was the only category available. I'd have been happier paying less for a standard.

I have some questions for you AKL gurus. Which tour would you recommend? The Cultural tour of Sanaa or the Culinary Tour at Jiko and Boma? They seem to be overlapping in times.

Do you think it's worth it to pay for the Starlight Safari or would we be just as happy with the Night Vision Viewing?

Do you have any hidden gems? Things you love to do or see? Specific spots that you love to sit and watch the animals?

Do you think it's worth it to pay for the Starlight Safari or would we be just as happy with the Night Vision Viewing?

We did the Starlight Safari last week and it was WONDERFUL! We took the internal shuttle from Jambo over to Kidani and got all signed in. There was one other family on safari with my DH and me. There are two safari guides, one to drive the trick & open/close all the gates and one to tell the guests all about the animals, their names, what they are like, stories, etc. It went all all of the AKL (both Jambo & Kidani) savannas and we got to see all the animals that we looked at from our balcony each day and learned a bit about all of them.

My DH did many extra/paid activities this trip and after ranking them all, this is the one that he said he would pay for every time we are there. I said it was only below MK DAH. It really was cool to see the animals from such a close up vantage point.

Last edited:

I have some questions for you AKL gurus. Which tour would you recommend? The Cultural tour of Sanaa or the Culinary Tour at Jiko and Boma? They seem to be overlapping in times.

If you are already planning on having dinner at Boma I would go to the cultural tour at Sanaa. When I did it, it was just me and my friend plus another couple and the cast member. She was a delight and walked us through Sanaa and explained some of the art, then showed us on a map where she was from and talked to us for a long time about Victoria Falls. After we did that, we were seated in the Sanaa lounge and served a complimentary "mini" bread service - 3 dips and 3 wedges of naan each. We really enjoyed it and you can't beat free. I haven't done the other one but my parents-in-law did and enjoyed that as well, but since you'll already get to see Boma, it's an opportunity to see something extra by doing the Sanaa one.

We have a reservation at Sanaa when we go. From what I've read we should take the resort bus from Jambo to get there? Where does the resort bus come and go from and does it have a sign that reads resort bus?

You can take the resort shuttle or walk if mobility and weather permit. The resort shuttle is not a big motorcoach like the parks buses and it doesn't come to the same area where the parks buses load. It comes to the porte cochere - just ask a CM in the porte cochere about it and they will tell you where to wait. It is labeled with the resort name - check out this article for a photo: https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...mbo-house-and-kidani-at-animal-kingdom-lodge/ You can also take the Disney Springs bus which picks up first at Jambo and then Kidani, just be sure to tell the driver your plan when you board to be sure that is still the order of the stops.

If you are already planning on having dinner at Boma I would go to the cultural tour at Sanaa. When I did it, it was just me and my friend plus another couple and the cast member. She was a delight and walked us through Sanaa and explained some of the art, then showed us on a map where she was from and talked to us for a long time about Victoria Falls. After we did that, we were seated in the Sanaa lounge and served a complimentary "mini" bread service - 3 dips and 3 wedges of naan each. We really enjoyed it and you can't beat free. I haven't done the other one but my parents-in-law did and enjoyed that as well, but since you'll already get to see Boma, it's an opportunity to see something extra by doing the Sanaa one.

You can take the resort shuttle or walk if mobility and weather permit. The resort shuttle is not a big motorcoach like the parks buses and it doesn't come to the same area where the parks buses load. It comes to the porte cochere - just ask a CM in the porte cochere about it and they will tell you where to wait. It is labeled with the resort name - check out this article for a photo: https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...mbo-house-and-kidani-at-animal-kingdom-lodge/ You can also take the Disney Springs bus which picks up first at Jambo and then Kidani, just be sure to tell the driver your plan when you board to be sure that is still the order of the stops.
Oh thank you :thumbsup2

Does anybody know if Uber/Lyft (Non Minnie Van) pick up right at the front lobby or is there a designated area?

We did the Starlight Safari last week and it was WONDERFUL! We took the internal shuttle from Jambo over to Kidani and got all signed in. There was one other family on safari with my DH and me. There are two safari guides, one to drive the trick & open/close all the gates and one to tell the guests all about the animals, their names, what they are like, stories, etc. It went all all of the AKL (both Jambo & Kidani) savannas and we got to see all the animals that we looked at from our balcony each day and learned a bit about all of them.

My DH did many extra/paid activities this trip and after ranking them all, this is the one that he said he would pay for every time we are there. I said it was only below MK DAH. It really was cool to see the animals from such a close up vantage point.
Yay!!! I'm so glad to see this, I have seen nothing but good reviews and my husband and I are doing this in September!

Does anyone know where they are with the room renovations? We are possibly staying CL in late July and I was wondering what our chances are of getting a renovated room if we do. We will have four people and the renovated rooms seem a bit more spacious feeling which could play into our decision.

Has anyone gone to MK DAH from AKL? How were the buses back? Did you have to wait long? Did it share with other resorts (besides Jambo/Kidani).

For anyone that's stayed pool view, are there are rooms you particularly liked? Trying to figure out what request to put in.
Yes, I love the pool view rooms! Have stayed in one twice, both times I requested and got, Giraffe Trail, upper floor. I was on 3rd floor both times. Giraffe Trail is a great location, near lobby and buses. I heard no noise from the pool.

Hi guys! I read an atricle a few days ago that said DVC value rooms at Jambo are being renovated right now- is this true? I thought they were supposed to be late 2019?

We're bringing friends with us and staying at Jambo in a 2 bedroom, so excited to come back! We have 2 resort days planned and my kids hope to collect the rest of the beads they are missing.

Hi guys! I read an atricle a few days ago that said DVC value rooms at Jambo are being renovated right now- is this true? I thought they were supposed to be late 2019?
According to the DVC site "Due to Resort construction, the Value Studios at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House are not available for stays from December 2019 through late January 2020."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter