Jon and Kate Plus 8, Official Thread-Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
One other thing I noticed from the show - thoes 5 year olds are STILL in highchairs???? What is the deal with that???? My 2 year old isn't even in a highchair anymore, and I can't remember the last time she was! I mean, maybe they want to make sure they stay at the table.... I don't know - I just thought that was crazy.

If there is anything that drives me crazy about Kate is she puts them in those high chairs

From Julie's (Kate's sister-in-law) blog (courtesy of http://www.usmagazine.com/news/sister-urges-viewers-not-to-watch-jon-and-kate-plus-8-2009255):

"Since TLC is airing the old episodes, I thought I shed some light on how the show works. We've discussed this before, but it's buried somewhere in the archived posts.

"When the show first started, Kate made a wishlist of things that she wanted, and that became the theme of each episode--the carpet, twin's room, bunk beds, cow, hairplugs, teeth whitening, trips, etc. EVERYTHING that you see them do or buy is completely paid for out of the budget for the show or traded for free advertising. Kate went on and on about saving up for special days, you saw her paying for things, she talked about budgeting, etc. It is all for the appearance that they are a struggling family with 8 children. They needed to be relatable. They didn't pay for any of it.

"The episodes are also staged. Here's how it works...there is a staff of people reading these blogs and they base the shows around what people are talking about. I haven't watched many episodes, but I do know some of the behind the scenes events.

"The Christmas episode from 2007. Producers told Kate that the viewers wanted to see her show appreciation to their helpers. They told her what the episode was going to be. I think they baked cookies and then went caroling (of course this was probably one of their many 'traditions"--those are all fake too). Kate threw a fit. She didn't want to do it, but she did...because they were trying to pacify the viewers.

"Another example is the 'Games Gosselins Play' (I think that might have been the same episode as their 'mission statement'). I actually did watch this one. This was around the time that I started reading discussion boards and finding out that there were many people opposed to the show. It was so obvious that the mission statement was addressing all of the concerns that I had been reading online. The game time was just ridiculous. After the episode, I called Jodi and said, 'what was that?.' She hadn't watched it, so I explained that it came across so fake (at least to me). Jodi was with Kate when she got "the call" about the theme for that episode. Kate said something like, 'so now I have to pretend that I play with my kids.' They also wanted her to pay special attention to the boys.

"Don't believe everything you see. The children are also being prompted to say or do certain things. They signed their lives away to TLC and they will continue to spin the show to keep the viewer's interest. I don't believe this show will go away until the viewers decide that they don't want to be played anymore.

"Of course, you've all figured out that they are showing Kate cook/bake to promote her upcoming cookbook. The show has now turned into a show about a family with a reality show--move to a mansion, cross-over shows, book tour, talk shows...

"I've only watch a handful of episodes. I haven't even seen all of the episodes that Jodi has been in. I made a personal decision long ago to do what I can to give those children the privacy and respect that they deserve. I refuse to watch and participate in something that I feel so strongly against.

"Please don't watch on Monday. You're not going to learn anything new by watching. They will only show what they think people want to see and it isn't real anyway. They will probably drag this out (J&K's 'relationship') for the entire season. They just string the viewers along hoping that they will come back for more."

I still am not positive that he cheated on her in the worst way, but he should not have been in the car with another woman (who is prob making a lot of money now on that tape her and her last boyfriend made) in the middle of the night.

Please define "in the worst way" in regards to cheating. I'm not trying to start anything - honestly just asking for your definition. :goodvibes To me, emotional affairs are so much worse than just having a one night stand. I understans the physical problems of the one night stand but sex with someone is sex...feel good for a minute type things. The emotional is connecting on another level altogether and in my eyes is so much worse.

Thnks, you are the only person who would even reply to me on this one. I was starting to think everyone had me on their ignore list.

Several people answered prior - I'm sorry you missed in as the thread's been moving quite quickly. I hope you just caught it.

But I was wondering, did Kate even interact with any of the parents at the party? I just thought it seemed odd.:confused3

I don't know that they'd be able to show that as they're not "cast members" (for lack of a better word) and part of the show.

I'm not an expert on this by any means but since I don't see that this has been addressed in the last few pages, I'll give it a shot. ;) In the case of Gymboree, Starbucks, etc, whoever is product-placing on their show, those companies more than likely came to the Gosselins after the show was on for a while and their executives could see how many viewers there were. It's very worth it to them to have those adorable babies seen in their clothes; even if they give $5,000 a year of free clothes to the Gosselins (and it could be more, judging by how many outfits you see them in a season), they justify that by how many people might come into their store to buy since they saw the cute kids wearing the clothes. I read an article a while ago (can't recall where exactly) saying that now since lots of people have DVRs, TIVOs, etc, they are doing more product placement on TV shows rather than spending the $$ on commercials that people just fast-forward through. Once I read that, I started to see it all over. It's very interesting - watch any show, even a 30-minute sitcom, and count how many name brands you see (Coke, Pepsi, Toyota, Chrysler, Starbucks, Apple, etc).

Just my 2 cents on that. :goodvibes

Thank you for answering that! I do appreciate it! :goodvibes It just made me wonder but I'm sure Starbucks is thinking (if even I - a non-Starcrack loving member of society can reconize the cup) why give it to them for free if they're going to pay for it? :confused3

Someone just explained it in the above post. But I'll explain it on a really small scale.

Thank you!

Oh, such a bad idea...my sister and I were split up when my parents divorced and it was very very very difficult to deal with. Not only did our parents divorce but then we had to deal with losing each other. Bad idea.

Totally agree! My brother lived with my dad for awhile and that's when things really took a turn for the worse with him. So not a good idea to split them up IMO.

:thumbsup2

If you also look at the earlier home videos just before they were married and when they got married Kate was a lot softer in how she spoke. Maybe she changed and became harder or even bossier because she HAD to. Imagine if both of them didn't grow up and accept that responsibility?

I totally agree with this. I think Kate realized that someone had to step up and keep things rolling and saw that Jon wasn't able to/going to do that to the extent she thought she needed it to.

You know, what I noticed on Monday's show was a difference in body language, especially Jon. I always felt he seemed anxious, like he was worried about what Kate would say next. On Monday, he seemed to be physically calmer and more confident. More relaxed, despite everything that was going on.

I think it was not only because things were going on but because they were interviewed seperately. Kate wasn't there finishing sentences or doing all of the talking so he had to speak up.

I partially think Kate fininshed sentences and spoke for both of them because Jon may not be the best public speaker. If he didn't want the attention (like he's saying now), maybe they came to the agreement that she would be the one to speak during the interviews. Who knows if they had some sort of "deal". Maybe she thought she was trying to "help" him by speaking for him - didn't want him to say the wrong thing or possibly mention something that didn't make it through editing or she didn't want the world to know. I think she may not have always gone about "helping" him (if that's what she was doing - even in her mind) in the kindest manner.

I have weekends off from being a parent and a wife a few times a year, and my DH gets time away from us, too. :goodvibes

Everyone deserves a break. :thumbsup2

Have to say I've never left my kids other than DS4 for one night while I was in the hospital after my c-section for DS2. DS4 is allergic to EVERYTHING you could imagine so he can't stay with any of our friends here so it's just easier to stay home with them. I feel like I'm already away enough for work and missing so much that I try to spend every minute when I'm home with them....JMHO A break's great but you can get that by taking a walk around the neighborhood or reading a book once the kids are asleep or something like that.

Just them as a family free to do as they please even if that means a whole lot of nothing.

Where would they go to do that? I don't think they could go anywhere right now and not have people recognize them. It's not like they could take a trip without cameras and try to be "normal". It might last a day before cell phone pics and video were on line of people spotting them and the "p people" showing up but I don't think they have that luxuary right now.

Maybe when Jon said he was away for the weekend, and then told the kids daddy had to work. Maybe he was writing his tell all book...j/k!

No he can't write, talk or breathe remember? ;)

From Julie's (Kate's sister-in-law) blog (courtesy of http://www.usmagazine.com/news/sister-urges-viewers-not-to-watch-jon-and-kate-plus-8-2009255):

"Since TLC is airing the old episodes, I thought I shed some light on how the show works. We've discussed this before, but it's buried somewhere in the archived posts.

"When the show first started, Kate made a wishlist of things that she wanted, and that became the theme of each episode--the carpet, twin's room, bunk beds, cow, hairplugs, teeth whitening, trips, etc. EVERYTHING that you see them do or buy is completely paid for out of the budget for the show or traded for free advertising. Kate went on and on about saving up for special days, you saw her paying for things, she talked about budgeting, etc. It is all for the appearance that they are a struggling family with 8 children. They needed to be relatable. They didn't pay for any of it.

"The episodes are also staged. Here's how it works...there is a staff of people reading these blogs and they base the shows around what people are talking about. I haven't watched many episodes, but I do know some of the behind the scenes events.

"The Christmas episode from 2007. Producers told Kate that the viewers wanted to see her show appreciation to their helpers. They told her what the episode was going to be. I think they baked cookies and then went caroling (of course this was probably one of their many 'traditions"--those are all fake too). Kate threw a fit. She didn't want to do it, but she did...because they were trying to pacify the viewers.

"Another example is the 'Games Gosselins Play' (I think that might have been the same episode as their 'mission statement'). I actually did watch this one. This was around the time that I started reading discussion boards and finding out that there were many people opposed to the show. It was so obvious that the mission statement was addressing all of the concerns that I had been reading online. The game time was just ridiculous. After the episode, I called Jodi and said, 'what was that?.' She hadn't watched it, so I explained that it came across so fake (at least to me). Jodi was with Kate when she got "the call" about the theme for that episode. Kate said something like, 'so now I have to pretend that I play with my kids.' They also wanted her to pay special attention to the boys.

"Don't believe everything you see. The children are also being prompted to say or do certain things. They signed their lives away to TLC and they will continue to spin the show to keep the viewer's interest. I don't believe this show will go away until the viewers decide that they don't want to be played anymore.

"Of course, you've all figured out that they are showing Kate cook/bake to promote her upcoming cookbook. The show has now turned into a show about a family with a reality show--move to a mansion, cross-over shows, book tour, talk shows...

"I've only watch a handful of episodes. I haven't even seen all of the episodes that Jodi has been in. I made a personal decision long ago to do what I can to give those children the privacy and respect that they deserve. I refuse to watch and participate in something that I feel so strongly against.

"Please don't watch on Monday. You're not going to learn anything new by watching. They will only show what they think people want to see and it isn't real anyway. They will probably drag this out (J&K's 'relationship') for the entire season. They just string the viewers along hoping that they will come back for more."

I really dislike "Aunt Jodi" what kind of monster talks trash about her family. She is one jealous lady

New on Julie's blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009
The Early Show
Kevin and Jodi will be giving a live interview tomorrow morning on The Early Show (CBS). The segment should be airing around 7:30am.

I also want to acknowledge all of the emails I am receiving. I can't respond to all of them, but I want everyone to know that I am reading them and sharing them with Jodi. I have received the most heartfelt stories and poems. I am truly touched that so many have taken the time to write, and I want you all to know that the support we are receiving is definitely a bright spot during this difficult time.

Many people have asked what they can do. My best advice right now is to stop watching! I posted this on another blog over the weekend, but I think it is worth repeating.

I made a personal decision long ago to do what I can to give those children the privacy and respect that they deserve. I refuse to watch and participate in something that I feel so strongly against.

New on Julie's blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009
The Early Show
Kevin and Jodi will be giving a live interview tomorrow morning on The Early Show (CBS). The segment should be airing around 7:30am.

I also want to acknowledge all of the emails I am receiving. I can't respond to all of them, but I want everyone to know that I am reading them and sharing them with Jodi. I have received the most heartfelt stories and poems. I am truly touched that so many have taken the time to write, and I want you all to know that the support we are receiving is definitely a bright spot during this difficult time.

Many people have asked what they can do. My best advice right now is to stop watching! I posted this on another blog over the weekend, but I think it is worth repeating.

I made a personal decision long ago to do what I can to give those children the privacy and respect that they deserve. I refuse to watch and participate in something that I feel so strongly against.

:scared1: Holy cow! Wow, the you know what is going to hit the fan tomorrow morning. Yikes!

New on Julie's blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009
The Early Show

I won't be watching anything with Kevin and Jodi. They should be ashamed of themselves. What will the kids think when they get older seeing there aunt and uncle bad mouthing there parents:sad2::sad2::sad2::sad2:

So, parents aren't allowed a weekend away? What about Mom retreats or Dad fishing trips? :confused3

Those you plan ahead for a weekend that isn't booked with preparing for 6 of your children's birthdays. :confused3:confused3

IMO whether they even live together isn't the point, they aren't divorced yet and she clearly was expecting him to be involved in the party preparations and thought they would be doing the birthday stuff as a "family." It wasn't about the work, it was about Jon's absence from what she saw as a family occasion.

However, since learning this is okay, I'm thinking about taking a last minute opt out next Christmas. ;) I'm sure my dh will be fine with it!

I really dislike "Aunt Jodi" what kind of monster talks trash about her family. She is one jealous lady

Yep....I feel the same....

New on Julie's blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009
The Early Show

Oh yeah...talking trash on tv is the best thing for those kids....with relatives like that..who needs friends...

Those you plan ahead for a weekend that isn't booked with preparing for 6 of your children's birthdays. :confused3:confused3

Good grief, he obviously wasn't "away" in the sense he jetted off to Utah for the weekend of the tups b-day. Kate wasn't even home till a day or 2 before the party and Jon was AT the party. By Kate saying Jon needed a weekend away, she was obviously (at least to me) saying Jon wasn't going to be at the house while she was there. It was her turn to take care of the kids so he went wherever he went and came seperately to the party. Plain and simple, sad isn't it.

Wasn't someone pushed "beyond words" or called "harsh" or something just a dozen pages ago when Kate was called a monster? I can't keep up with the rules much less the pace of this thread.

She didn't have the hardness, harshness or critical attitude she has now. Jon wasn't so sullen and subdued back then.

Sad for them both. : (

I wonder..did living with Jon give her that harshness? If not, where do you suppose it came from?

Wasn't someone pushed "beyond words" or called "harsh" or something just a dozen pages ago when Kate was called a monster? I can't keep up with the rules much less the pace of this thread.

I really have no idea I don't try to keep up with the other posters

Just saying good bye thread three...I look forward to reading thread four in the morning! :goodvibes

How close is Jon's moms? If he's not staying in the apartment above the garage (if there really is one) is it possible he's staying with her? I'm surprised we haven't seen/heard more about that. If the "p people" are there as much as they say they are, it seems like someone would have commented that Jon's car wasn't there all weekend or something like that.

Just saying good bye thread three...I look forward to reading thread four in the morning! :goodvibes

How close is Jon's moms? If he's not staying in the apartment above the garage (if there really is one) is it possible he's staying with her? I'm surprised we haven't seen/heard more about that. If the "p people" are there as much as they say they are, it seems like someone would have commented that Jon's car wasn't there all weekend or something like that.

Garage?

I'm watching the thread, but I'm hesistant if I want my name associated with Part 4.

Kate didn't do it all. Geez, all she did was fill up 4 pinatas and a bunch of treat bags.

That's what we saw. Someone shopped for all the food and put it together (next year she said soda and cake, that's all they are having last year, because it looked like all the food was left over) and soda and dragged all that stuff there (the tablecloths, plates, the decorations) and decorated, although we did see she had help, she did it too. Someone hired the bouncy bounce people. Someone bought all the kids gifts and wrapped them. She may have had helpers do it, but we don't know that, because TLC only showed us what they wanted us to see. She drove back and got the kids, which I assume meant shoes and coats (8 kids, that's a lot of shoes and coats, even with help, if she had some). Again, we only see what they wanted us to see. I'm sure she was exhausted because she had just come home the day before from working, and breaking up your marriage would tend to exhaust someone..Jon included, I would think.

I don't get why people don't understand why she was upset about Jon not being there to "help" with the party preparation. IMO, it was the fact that he simply left. She was very clear that they have help, so that wasn't really the issue, it was that he was ABSENT.

Are there really that many women out there that would really think it was okay if their husband just left for the weekend on an unplanned "getaway" during a weekend when you had family things already scheduled?

My husband travels for work and I was a SAHM. Honestly, I never once opted out of a child's birthday party preparation when he got back because I was tired of being home alone with the kids. I might have laid down for a nap and had him do the shopping or something, but leaving for the weekend?

Why don't people understand that maybe Jon didn't want to have the spectacle filmed for tv? They had already had a b-day party, THIS was the staged one for the show. Maybe he didn't want to participate. How many days was Kate gone prior to the day before the party? Does Jon complain about taking care of the kids alone (for one day)? At least when he goes out it's when the kids are sleeping. ;) It's likely Kate didn't want him around either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter