Just curious- when did Disney start allowing wagons?

I saw a family with one in DTD when I was eating breakfast at La Brea. They parked it in the area between La Brea and WoD and then shifted packages and items in the wagon to their other stroller. The dad did this for several minutes while the mom was looking at her phone the whole time. There were 2 kids, neither in the wagon or stroller. I was idly watching because they were right across from me and it seemed like such a process to be going through, plus I couldn't figure out the purpose. After rearranging things several times, they took off with the stroller and left the wagon behind. I wondered if they'd forgotten it or if they were just checking out something nearby. When they never came back, I worried that they'd forgotten about their wagon so I notified our waitress. After 10 minutes or so, another family came along and picked up the wagon then headed towards the parks. I guess they'd arranged some sort of transfer but it seemed odd to me to just leave the wagon sitting there. I never really understood what that was about.

I love the Keenz stroller wagons and wish they had been around when my kids were littles. I definitely would have purchased one of these instead of the Sit ‘n stand we had. Young kids require a lot of “stuff” and these make life so much easier. Plus the options such as wind cover, mosquito covers, etc. are just fantastic.

I’d personally rather have comfortable, sleeping kids in these than the exhausted, overstimulated, screaming children we see in the evenings at DLR and WDW. Being rammed with a stroller is never fun, but some of the more dangerous incidents involve the wheelchairs/ecvs. People certainly need to pay attention.

No mom/dad should ever feel judged for doing what’s best for her/his children, but maybe I just think this way because I’m entitled. :confused3

Totally agree. While researching strollers for my son who has special needs, this stroller came highly recommended. It has a very high capacity carrying weight so it would last him a LONG time, could hold additional supplies that he needs that most people don’t have to worry about carrying around, and the canopy comes fully down on both sides if he were to need his own space. We chose a different stroller, but may get this in the future for him and honestly, I don’t care if people want to judge me or not. I try my hardest to not judge others as I don’t know their situation, but I feel I may be in the minority with that mindset :( ...oh well, if it’s in the rules and it is what my son will need, then yep, I’m going definitely get it and I’m going to make sure we won’t run over anyone ;)
I have nothing against parents who use these. I know that their size and pushing ability follows the rules, and I am 100% sure they make parents' lives easier. That's why I have never sent in a complaint about them. I've just seen so many of these particular strollers not handled properly all over the parks.

I have nothing against parents who use these. I know that their size and pushing ability follows the rules, and I am 100% sure they make parents' lives easier. That's why I have never sent in a complaint about them. I've just seen so many of these particular strollers not handled properly all over the parks.
Exactly. I don't know why it's this specific style of stroller, but it is. But there's no reason for any stroller to be blocking the sinks or doorways in the restrooms or blocking aisles or doorways in shops -- it's just a safety hazard to block the exits anywhere. So it's rather odd that this particular style/brand of stroller-wagon is so often seen doing just that. Do these parents block sinks and doorways with their other strollers? Why would they think it would be okay to do this with this particular stroller? So odd. Handled safely, they are fine. They serve a purpose. But, like any stroller, when they're not handled safely, they're just a hazard to others.

If one of those wagons fits the stroller footprint rule then I'm fine. But I think there needs to also be a visibility rule as in footprint + front visibility. It's been years for me but IIRC I could still see the front wheels with the canopy extended on my stroller. So, perhaps Disney needs to have a rule that if you can't see the ground XX inches in front with the canopy extended, then the stroller doesn't meet the footprint rule and can't be brought in.

If one of those wagons fits the stroller footprint rule then I'm fine. But I think there needs to also be a visibility rule as in footprint + front visibility. It's been years for me but IIRC I could still see the front wheels with the canopy extended on my stroller. So, perhaps Disney needs to have a rule that if you can't see the ground XX inches in front with the canopy extended, then the stroller doesn't meet the footprint rule and can't be brought in.
And that you cannot block an exit with it and leave!

And that you cannot block an exit with it and leave!

Absolutely! It's just a change in attitude I think. You know, 'think of the CHILDREN!!!'. We used to be very careful and wouldn't have dreamt of taking a stroller in a bathroom (of course an exception for those who use strollers as wheelchairs) in the first place let alone blocking a walkway or (more importantly) an exit. That's a public safety issue. God forbid ever having to make a quick exit from a bathroom or shop in DL, but having to get past a passel of strollers (or even one of those behemoth ones)? I can't really jump due to mobility (and face it, age) issues. I'd probably end up looking like one of those football players who have to 'roll' over the backs of the defensive line, but I'd end up in a heap getting trampled! TBH, if I encounter strollers blocking my way, I happily (but nicely) move them out of it!

My youngest is just turning 30 and neither of them used a stroller at DL after the age of 3. They walked or we piggy backed them. But that long ago you didn't see small kidlets much in DL after 6-7 pm so they didn't get so darned exhausted. There was always a mass exodus from the parks of parents taking them home to bed. It's why Disney used to be such a great place for 'Date Night' back then. Most people in the parks after dark were Jr High and and older.

(Am now sitting back in my rocking chair, muttering under my breath lots of complaints ending with 'by cracky!!!')

Exactly. I don't know why it's this specific style of stroller, but it is. But there's no reason for any stroller to be blocking the sinks or doorways in the restrooms or blocking aisles or doorways in shops -- it's just a safety hazard to block the exits anywhere. So it's rather odd that this particular style/brand of stroller-wagon is so often seen doing just that. Do these parents block sinks and doorways with their other strollers? Why would they think it would be okay to do this with this particular stroller? So odd. Handled safely, they are fine. They serve a purpose. But, like any stroller, when they're not handled safely, they're just a hazard to others.

I am very surprised the CM didn't move them, because they will move them anywhere else if they are blocking an exit.
I think the problem is once they are brought into the bathrooms, there isn't space for them, so they inevitably end up in front of the sinks. I'm guessing it was a once in a blue moon situation as I had never seen more than one wagon in the restroom at a time.
But I will say, I have seen more wagons in the restrooms than I have strollers.

But I will say, I have seen more wagons in the restrooms than I have strollers.
I wonder if that's because they are being used as primary transportation for belongings and not just children. There is not enough room in strollers for a lot of stuff, but there is room in the mega-wagons. People don't want to leave their stuff outside of the bathrooms in their wagons so the whole thing comes in with them.

It's not the size of the footprint. It's mostly the fact that people have NO qualms about parking them sideways across walkways, doorways, store aisles, etc. blocking a large portion of the walking path. This happens at Disneyland with alarming frequency and is highly annoying.

When they get bad press from a lawsuit related to injury from one these things, and it costs Disney money, they will do something about it. Unfortunately, I don't think they will do anything about them until then.

My big trouble with strollers and wagons is that the little kids in them don't know how good they have it.

Kicking back, sun shade shielding you, snacks on the little tray, just people watching away without a care in the world in their little chariots.

Meanwhile the rest of us idiots are using our own tired feet and legs. Sigh.

My big trouble with strollers and wagons is that the little kids in them don't know how good they have it.

Kicking back, sun shade shielding you, snacks on the little tray, just people watching away without a care in the world in their little chariots.

Meanwhile the rest of us idiots are using our own tired feet and legs. Sigh.
I prefer the 2yo be in their chariot. I've watched too many little ones whose dad/mom thought it would be cute to video them walking down Main St in the crowds and they are getting bumped and stepped on, because mom and dad don't get how busy it really is.

I don't have an opinion about the wagons, but I also do not remember seeing any on our last visit (Halloween/November 2018.) We are large stroller offenders - a double Chariot - because we have 4 kids - 7, 5, and at last visit, 2 and 4 months. I can cram all 4 kids in there, and yes, when we've paid $120/ticket extra for the Halloween party, we are staying until 10pm and if all 4 kids need to sleep in the stroller, so be it. With smaller babies/kids, food is also harder to come by at DL so we pack food (baby food, yogurt tubes, milk, etc.) When you have a park that markets itself to children, this is what you're going to get, I'm afraid.

That said...we try to be very mindful of where we're walking and I honestly do not remember a time in the last 5-6 visits that we have hit anyone with the stroller. Has someone with an ECV hit me from behind while I'm walking with a stroller (not stopped)? Yes. Another part of the reason I prefer to keep my kids in a stroller esp when we're park hopping.

My youngest is just turning 30 and neither of them used a stroller at DL after the age of 3. They walked or we piggy backed them. But that long ago you didn't see small kidlets much in DL after 6-7 pm so they didn't get so darned exhausted. There was always a mass exodus from the parks of parents taking them home to bed. It's why Disney used to be such a great place for 'Date Night' back then. Most people in the parks after dark were Jr High and and older.

I can't piggy back my little one so much anymore :( my poor back!

Which leads me to a random thought... I wonder if the increased stroller usage is a combination of a) parents having kids later in life and b) people just being less fit than they were before. Add to this c) needing to maximize time in the parks, so you gotta come prepared with EVERYTHING (i.e. no going back to your car in the middle of the day, RIP old Disneyland parking lot).

Reason we use a stroller is energy - I don't want to expend all of it carrying a little one, or I don't want my little one expending all her energy walking from the hotel since we're doing an 8+ hour marathon until midnight and need all the energy we can keep! I'm not paying $$$ to tap out at 6pm! haha

I think maximizing park time is a big part of stroller usage. Locals who are doing day trips don't have the time to be going back and forth to the car for things, and tourists like myself want to get as much value as possible. Much advice over the last 10 years involves bringing the stroller and doing an afternoon nap so you can bring the kids back for evening entertainment.

It is all wonderful advice, but as more folks follow that advice, it results in more kids in the park in the evenings. I'm kind of guessing during the school year the park is still a pretty good date night during the week, as park crowds theoretically are more locals and fewer tourists - and those tourists may not have school-age kids.

Once the kids are all a bit bigger, I could easily ditch the stroller - except for the walk to/from the park. Getting tired kids home, especially the medium sized kids (preschool-early elementary school) is such a big deal. I know I wouldn't want to do it without the stroller, because it just runs the risk of ending an otherwise magical day on a low (cranky) note.

This! Last time we were at DL, I was using the restroom in Adventureland. 3 of those things were in there blocking almost all the sinks with nobody in them. The moms had brought them in with the kids, parked them in front of the sinks and then went into the stalls. It was horrible. And one of them was half blocking the entrance/exit so it was difficult to get out, you had to kind of move into the queue waiting to get in to leave.
A custodian CM was just reaching over them to clean. Didn't say anything. I asked her if we can move them out of the way and she said no.
:scared:

That’s ridiculous. I would have just moved them. People are rude

When I had small children (under 2) I usually kept them in the stroller when I went to the bathroom because it contained them. But then I would use a large stall and take the stroller with me. Once our kids were older than 2 we typically left the stroller outside unless a kid was asleep. There is just so little space in the restrooms for strollers. I think Disney could use a few more family or companion restrooms. It seems DCA has a few (Bugsland had one and Carsland) but I can't think of any in Disneyland. Those are nice because parents with several small kids can take them all together. In these cases they could also take their stroller/wagon too.

We were last at WDW late Sept 2018, and I don't remember seeing a single Veer or Keenz in the parks that trip, though I'm sure there must have been some that were privately-owned. We are here now, and those things are EVERYWHERE (mostly with rental company ID on them)-- and as announced today, only to be acceptable for the next month. They are banned effective May 1st from all Disney parks.

Somewhere a group of stroller company executives are crying in their beers, because without the theme parks market, their cash cow just turned into hamburger. There are also several small businesses in the Orlando area that only just sank funding into buying a fleet of these (had to have been within the last 7 months or so) -- that is now money down a drain.

If you want one for other purposes, this is probably going to be a great time to snap one up cheap on Craigslist or eBay, LOL. Maybe the rental companies should donate them to local public schools for use as ball carts. :rolleyes:

We were last at WDW late Sept 2018, and I don't remember seeing a single Veer or Keenz in the parks that trip, though I'm sure there must have been some that were privately-owned. We are here now, and those things are EVERYWHERE (mostly with rental company ID on them)-- and as announced today, only to be acceptable for the next month. They are banned effective May 1st from all Disney parks.

Somewhere a group of stroller company executives are crying in their beers, because without the theme parks market, their cash cow just turned into hamburger. There are also several small businesses in the Orlando area that only just sank funding into buying a fleet of these (had to have been within the last 7 months or so) -- that is now money down a drain.

If you want one for other purposes, this is probably going to be a great time to snap one up cheap on Craigslist or eBay, LOL. Maybe the rental companies should donate them to local public schools for use as ball carts. :rolleyes:

Yeah, this thread is definitely outdated (last post was over a month ago) with yesterday's announcement. Many of us are happy the loophole was finally closed and that enforcement is supposed to happen. Others not so much. A company I will not name, but will be affected by this decision made a less than professional post regarding the matter and then attempted to edit it to hide their PR slip up.

We're discussing the changes in this thread too:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/smoking-stroller-wagons-banned-may-1.3742229/

I noticed a few of them for the first time on our late 2017 trip. The numbers had exploded when we went back in late 2018. Not sure about DLR specifically, but I'm guessing a lot of the spread could be attributed to rental companies adding them as an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter