Ladies, sons and bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowman

DIS Veteran
So when my wife and I go in January, we will have our new son. He will be turning 8 while we are there. We are trying to figure things out with our new configuration.

The one place that we are still trying to figure out is bathrooms. We live near a very small city, so allowing him to go into the men's room on his own is....usually okay (truth is I worry the whole time and keep an eye on my watch). Disney is a much larger scale than anything he is used to, let alone much larger than our local grocery store.

Ladies, if you are there on your own with a young male child, how do you potty him? What age do you stop taking him into the ladies room with you? Are there any bathrooms that have two or three exits? He would not willingly go into a multi-stall ladies room unless I pushed the issue.

Suggestions, hints, tips?

They have companion bathrooms in some areas in the parks. I usually travel alone with DS8, so we use those when we can find one. Otherwise, he comes into the bathroom with me, whether he needs to go or not. I'm not leaving him on his own in WDW. He uses bathrooms on his own in our local restaurants, etc., but WDW is way too big and chaotic IMHO. Some of the rest rooms are gigantic. We go in, quickly go to a stall, wash hands and we are out. No bathroom that I can think of in WDW has multiple exits.

I travel to DW with my son every year, just the 2 of us. Starting when he was 8 yo, he went to the men's room at the parks by himself. We pick a spot to meet at just outside the bathroom. It hasn't been a big deal for us. Mainly, I just have to double check that he washed his hands.

They have companion bathrooms in some areas in the parks. I usually travel alone with DS8, so we use those when we can find one. Otherwise, he comes into the bathroom with me, whether he needs to go or not. I'm not leaving him on his own in WDW. He uses bathrooms on his own in our local restaurants, etc., but WDW is way too big and chaotic IMHO. Some of the rest rooms are gigantic. We go in, quickly go to a stall, wash hands and we are out. No bathroom that I can think of in WDW has multiple exits.

there are a few with multiple exits. of course I can't think of them all right now. the one connected to the Brown Derby. you can enter/wexit to the restaurant or the outside. there is one connected to pizza planet at DHS also.. you can exit to the restaurant, or to the outside. I did this once myself and got mixed up for a few minutes. lol I'm sure there must be more.. this is why waiting at the exit isn't always the solution.

I remember this discussion awhile back. Hang on.
I was not comfortable with ds in mens room at that age. He came in with me or we found a family friendly room if we were in the parks. Another option is to look for smaller bathrooms in restaurants.
People will have varied and strong opinions about this but you need to do what is best for your own child and in your comfort level.

If we are all together, my husband takes the boys and my daughter goes with me :) If we are split up for some reason I just wait right outside the restroom entrance, unless it's one that that a different entrance and exit, then I try and stand in the middle somewhere but I try to make a specific meeting spot and my husband does the same with our daughter. We've been doing this since the kids were 7.

We have still seen boys as old as 12 in the ladies changing room/bathroom at the WDW waterparks and though I feel that's over the top, people still do it. It's just whatever you are comfortable with.

Do whatever you feel is best for your family.

Personally, I am overly paranoid and insist on stepping into the multi stall bathroom with my girls (7 & under). I seriously doubt most mothers would bat an eye at an 8 year old boy in the ladies room. We'd rather have him there than in danger.

What is so scary about men's rooms? Seriously. Especially at Disney where every man in there is a child's father, grandfather, uncle, cousin etc. where if a child was distressed or asked for help someone would help. If a child was in danger I know my husband would be right there protecting him whether he knew the kid or not. And I will bet dollars to donuts 99% of the men out there would do the same. You don't get the when can I send my daughter in to the ladies room alone questions. We just do it. My daughters are six. When they are out with their father and have to go they go into the ladies room and he waits outside and reminds them to wash their hands. It's the same routine at the mall, Costco or Disney. If you teach boys that men are scary and not to be trusted what does he think he will become when he grows up - scary and not to be trusted

I only have girls and I still don't send them in alone.

I don't think it's a "men are scary" issue but more of "we could get separated in a huge and highly populated area" or "there are thousands of people and you never know what kind of people are around."

I'm glad that you feel comfortable sending your kids inside and waiting outside, some people don't and that's okay too. I think 8 is definitely still young enough to be of that mindset.

My middle is 8, so 3rd grade. She can handle the restroom herself. I think around 6 we started letting her go alone. We just pick an easy location to meet at and just reiterate to stay in one spot if she gets confused. She hasn't fudged it up yet. I think she appreciates the trust.

I'd give your son a chance. Choose a restroom with one exit and wait. I bet he will appreciate the trust. When he gets out have him sit down and wait for you. Obviously you have to know your kid, but if he's responsible in every other aspect there's no reason to think he won't be now.

It's been a while since we have had a boys in the ladies' room thread!

My opinion is that by 8 children should be able to use their own gendered bathrooms alone. Especially at WDW. I can totally understand the 2 exits issue, but most restrooms only have a single exit. As for 'danger', WDW bathrooms are full of dads and kids, not predators. If you really feel you need to take him into the ladies' room with you because you are worried for his safety, please take him into the stall with you so you can do your business together. It is really the safest place for him since the changes of being abducted or assaulted is just about the same in the ladies' room by all those moms as it is in the men's room by all those dads.

If you can find a companion- or family restroom, you're golden. My son is approaching his 7th birthday and he prefers those when he's out with me. (When we're with my husband, he always asks daddy to take him to the bathroom - he'd rather avoid the ladies' room if he can.) When there is no family restroom at hand, I tend to let him go into the men's room, as long as it isn't too busy. I'm less worried about him being hurt in a public bathroom than I am about him winding up in the stall that doesn't have toilet paper, or discovering the soap/paper towel dispenser is out of his reach. I can't help from the far side of the men's room door as dozens of men and boys are walking in and out.

When you can't find a family restroom, well, you have to do what's best for your family. At age 8, I'd probably just tell my son to go in and do his business on his own. Though I personally wouldn't be upset at seeing a boy about that age in the women's restroom - so long as a kid isn't peeking under the doors, it's all good by me.

For what it's worth, I can't think of a Disney restroom that has multiple exits (though I likely haven't used ALL the bathrooms in the parks!) - so you could send him in and wait right outside the exit, feeling pretty confident that he won't get past your eagle eye on the way out. :)

If you can find a companion- or family restroom, you're golden. My son is approaching his 7th birthday and he prefers those when he's out with me. (When we're with my husband, he always asks daddy to take him to the bathroom - he'd rather avoid the ladies' room if he can.) When there is no family restroom at hand, I tend to let him go into the men's room, as long as it isn't too busy. I'm less worried about him being hurt in a public bathroom than I am about him winding up in the stall that doesn't have toilet paper, or discovering the soap/paper towel dispenser is out of his reach. I can't help from the far side of the men's room door as dozens of men and boys are walking in and out.

When you can't find a family restroom, well, you have to do what's best for your family. At age 8, I'd probably just tell my son to go in and do his business on his own. Though I personally wouldn't be upset at seeing a boy about that age in the women's restroom - so long as a kid isn't peeking under the doors, it's all good by me.

For what it's worth, I can't think of a Disney restroom that has multiple exits (though I likely haven't used ALL the bathrooms in the parks!) - so you could send him in and wait right outside the exit, feeling pretty confident that he won't get past your eagle eye on the way out. :)

see my post above. there are a few with multiple exits. and once the child uses the wrong exit, they might keep wandering instead of retracing their steps.

Ladies, if you are there on your own with a young male child, how do you potty him? What age do you stop taking him into the ladies room with you? Are there any bathrooms that have two or three exits? He would not willingly go into a multi-stall ladies room unless I pushed the issue.

Suggestions, hints, tips?

I've been on my own with DS at DL once, when he was 6 1/2. DH had to fly back to Canada because of a family emergency so it was just me and the boy for around 36 hours. While I was not super comfortable letting him go to the men's room alone, he was not comfortable going into the ladies' room with me and I respected his wishes. He is now 10 and we have gone to DL and WDW 7 times since then and he has handled going into the men's room alone just fine. My biggest worry has never been that something might happen to him, my biggest fear is that he would forget to wash his hands properly!

OP, if your 8 year old is mature enough to voice the fact that he is uncomfortable going into the ladies' room, then if it were me I would feel as though he is mature enough to go to the men's room alone.

Reactions: A.v
It's been a while since we have had a boys in the ladies' room thread!

My opinion is that by 8 children should be able to use their own gendered bathrooms alone. Especially at WDW. I can totally understand the 2 exits issue, but most restrooms only have a single exit. As for 'danger', WDW bathrooms are full of dads and kids, not predators. If you really feel you need to take him into the ladies' room with you because you are worried for his safety, please take him into the stall with you so you can do your business together. It is really the safest place for him since the changes of being abducted or assaulted is just about the same in the ladies' room by all those moms as it is in the men's room by all those dads.
Yes. If you don't want him going into the men's room by himself then bring him into your stall. I've had two kids in the stall with me for several years, so one is tight but doable. Oh and if they do use the ladies room teach them to put the seat down. My five year old fell into the toilet at Disney because the boy who used it befor her (was somewhere in the 8-10 year old age) put the seat up and left it. She sat without look because she's five and it's the girls room and sat right in the water. I guess she should be greatful he flushed. And yes normally I look at the stall before they go in but she was doing the dance and just ran in.

Last edited:

Teach them to grab tp before sitting. Teach them to ask an adult for help if they can't reach the soap/towels. The ops son using the restroom by himself in their city. So I think they would have covered those issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter