Las Vegas Shooting

I live in Phoenix. We have a lot of Canadians that come here for surgery's and procedures they can't get in a timely manner with their universal health care. Long wait lists? I've even had patients that had their hotels and flights paid for by Canadian insurance. I'm not an insurance expert this is just what I've seen. We also have a lot of Canadian snowbirds that end up in the hospital. I've never heard them complain about their healthcare not being covered. I don't know maybe some Canadians can chime in on this matter.
Canadians don't have "insurance" per se; at least not the way you probably understand it. We have a system of universal health care delivered to all citizens and paid for through taxes. The system is standardized based on federal guidelines and administered by the individual provinces. There may be some very specific and isolated cases where a health region will authorize a person to access treatment outside the locality and pay for it, but that would certainly not be routine. I have to assume you've either been given inaccurate information or understood it wrong.

Most "snowbirds" purchase travel medical policies. To do any less would be foolhardy. A Canadian simply cannot access care in another country and have it paid for by our government.

I just read last night that a security guard was shot in the leg 6 minutes before the terrorist started firing on the concertgoers. I have not been following the story very carefully for the last couple of days but I thought part of the original narrative was that the police didn't quite know where he was and that's why it took them so long to get up to the room. The previous story went that he stopped shooting after the guard was shot. Now it seems that he didn't even start shooting until 6 minutes after the guard was shot through the door.

My question is why didn't the guard call that he was shot? Was he unconscious?

I think he did. But they cleared the floors below, and some rooms around the shooter before entering, due to concerns about explosives, is my guess.
There are going to be so many unanswered questions, unless he left a video diary of what happened, and why.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/13/murky-timeline-is-focus-las-vegas-shooting-probe.html
According to this article (yes FN, let's just leave that part out, it was the first one to pop up on Google),

In a statement Thursday, MGM Resorts International, which owns the Mandalay Bay, said the 9:59 p.m. reported time of the hallway shooting came from a report that was manually created after the massacre. "We are now confident that the time stated in this report is not accurate," the statement said.

The wounded guard, Jesus Campos, used his radio to call for help, the statement said. A maintenance worker, Stephen Schuck, has said he also called for help on his radio, asking a dispatcher to call the police because someone was shooting a rifle on the 32nd floor. It's not clear what Mandalay Bay maintenance and security workers did with those messages by the guard and other worker.

The wounded guard, Jesus Campos, used his radio to call for help, the statement said. A maintenance worker, Stephen Schuck, has said he also called for help on his radio, asking a dispatcher to call the police because someone was shooting a rifle on the 32nd floor. It's not clear what Mandalay Bay maintenance and security workers did with those messages by the guard and other worker.

What else do they do in Vegas with High Rollers?

" I'm afraid that the slogan "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" went a bit too fat this time...

i could go to my dr in the morning and have an MRI done in the afternoon.. I wouldnt have to wait a day much less a month. Things get done quickly here. 30k is a small hospital bill in the US. Insurance will cover most of it, but we do pay a premium for good healthcare.

But, the thing is, even the poorest person in our country can get an MRI and not have to worry about getting a bill. Your short wait times are because there are so many less people in line for them..only those who can afford them get them. If you can’t afford it, your wait time is forever. That’s why your wait times are so skewed.

But, the thing is, even the poorest person in our country can get an MRI and not have to worry about getting a bill. Your short wait times are because there are so many less people in line for them..only those who can afford them get them. If you can’t afford it, your wait time is forever. That’s why your wait times are so skewed.

We have almost 10 times the amount of people living in the US, I doubt there are many less people in line for MRIs here than there are up there.
I think almost everyone I know has had an MRI, even multiple ones done so far in their lifetime. I know kids and teens that have had them too.
We even have traveling MRIs so they can come to you.

Canadians don't have "insurance" per se; at least not the way you probably understand it. We have a system of universal health care delivered to all citizens and paid for through taxes. The system is standardized based on federal guidelines and administered by the individual provinces. There may be some very specific and isolated cases where a health region will authorize a person to access treatment outside the locality and pay for it, but that would certainly not be routine. I have to assume you've either been given inaccurate information or understood it wrong.

Most "snowbirds" purchase travel medical policies. To do any less would be foolhardy. A Canadian simply cannot access care in another country and have it paid for by our government.

The misinformation people believe about our healthcare system is funny and alarming at the same time. Granted, our system isn’t perfect but at least I know I won’t be stuck with a bill for my dr appt last week, my appt today, and my appt in two weeks..all different specialties. Then, add in my MRI and cat scan and the money wheels keep spinning. My total cost..$0.

As I said in my post above, the American systems claims are flawed because they only take into effect people who can pay for procedures. If they took the entire population into consideration for wait times, it would never end because some people can’t afford the system.

We have almost 10 times the amount of people living in the US, I doubt there are many less people in line for MRIs here than there are up there.
I think almost everyone I know has had an MRI, even multiple ones done so far in their lifetime. I know kids and teens that have had them too.
We even have traveling MRIs so they can come to you.

I’m not going to get into a healthcare argument because no ones mind ever gets changed. You like your system, good. I like my system.

i could go to my dr in the morning and have an MRI done in the afternoon.. I wouldnt have to wait a day much less a month. Things get done quickly here. 30k is a small hospital bill in the US. Insurance will cover most of it, but we do pay a premium for good healthcare.
Wow----No once, in the 35 years I lived in the USA, was I able to get a same day MRI. You are lucky ot live in an area with such great capacity. I usually had to wait a 2-3 weeks, though i can think of one situation in which it was only a one week wait. In NH they had travelling machines for our local hostpitals that only came through a few times per month and sometimes the wait was 2 months.

IV'e been in Germany with universal healthcare for the past 9 years. I don't think we've had same day MRI's. 2-3 weeks to get in seems pretty common. We've had ultra sounds and CT scans same day on several occasions though.

Last edited:
I’m not going to get into a healthcare argument because no ones mind ever gets changed. You like your system, good. I like my system.

LOL, I'm not arguing with you.
You may just want to check your facts before telling us how our medical system works. I'm not Canadian, I have no idea how yours really works so I wouldn't come on here and tell you how it does.

You may just want to check your facts before telling us how our medical system works. I'm not Canadian, I have no idea how yours really works so I wouldn't come on here and tell you how it does.

I didn’t tell you how it works. I’m just saying that a large part of the population can’t afford MRIs (to stick to one specific thing) so that’s why you don’t have a long wait time, not everyone is potentially waiting. If you had ~350 million in line, the wait would be longer.

I didn’t tell you how it works. I’m just saying that a large part of the population can’t afford MRIs (to stick to one specific thing) so that’s why you don’t have a long wait time, not everyone is potentially waiting. If you had ~350 million in line, the wait would be longer.

Sure you did, but whatever you say.

:hippie: The intention of my original post on the subject wasn't to start this debate. It was to discuss the fact that the victims of this atrocity have been changed forever by horror, critical injury and possibly life-altering financial burdens.

:hippie: The intention of my original post on the subject wasn't to start this debate. It was to discuss the fact that the victims of this atrocity have been changed forever by horror, critical injury and possibly life-altering financial burdens.

I understand, but this is a discussion and it ebbs and flows so sometimes things get off the original topic.
I said all I'm going to say on that subject :flower3:

Yep, you’re right. This isn’t the place for health care debate. Hopefully the people who need care will get it.

Wow----No once, in the 35 years I lived in the USA, was I able to get a same day MRI. You are lucky ot live in an area with such great capacity. I usually had to wait a 2-3 weeks, though i can think of one situation in which it was only a one week wait. In NH they had travelling machines for our local hostpitals that only came through a few times per month and sometimes the wait was 2 months.

IV'e been in Germany with universal healthcare for the past 9 years. I don't think we've had same day MRI's. 2-3 weeks to get in seems pretty common. We've had ultra sounds and CT scans same day on several occasions though.
I live in a place where there a large number of retired people maybe that's why. It seams like there some kind of medical faculty every quarter mile. I was shocked to hear Las Vegas only had one level 1 trauma hospital. They did a good job of handling the situation.

I live in a place where there a large number of retired people maybe that's why. It seams like there some kind of medical faculty every quarter mile. I was shocked to hear Las Vegas only had one level 1 trauma hospital. They did a good job of handling the situation.

Where you live makes a huge difference in Canada, too. And maybe everywhere in the world!

"Non-urgent" MRIs can take awhile (and sadly, knees seem to come under "non-urgent"). But, when my MIL was dying of cancer, she could get an MRI booked within 24 hrs. It's all a matter of triage and urgency.

We live in a town with several hospitals, and I've been extremely happy with the care we've received.

With regards to the poor Canadians stuck down South with no insurance... I'm so, so sorry they had to learn this lesson the hard way. My 70-something year old mother also travels without insurance and nothing we can say will change her mind. It drives me crazy! (And is one of many reasons I will never, ever travel with her.)

The misinformation people believe about our healthcare system is funny and alarming at the same time. Granted, our system isn’t perfect but at least I know I won’t be stuck with a bill for my dr appt last week, my appt today, and my appt in two weeks..all different specialties. Then, add in my MRI and cat scan and the money wheels keep spinning. My total cost..$0.

As I said in my post above, the American systems claims are flawed because they only take into effect people who can pay for procedures. If they took the entire population into consideration for wait times, it would never end because some people can’t afford the system.

As an American with a full-time professional job that only offers high cost, high deductible insurance coverage I would be thrilled with universal healthcare. My husband is self employed and uninsured because putting him on my insurance would cost 1/3 of my paycheck. I have high deductible insurance that is still relatively expensive monthly. I waited 2.5 years to have my gallbladder removed because we couldn't afford it, having attack after attack. Even when I had the day surgery this summer I still had to finance $3000 with the hospital because I couldn't pay the full amount. That was in addition to the $700 cash I paid the hospital, $1500 I paid out of pocket to doctors, and $390 for a sonogram. When I called to schedule I had to wait 3 weeks for the first sonogram appointment. I have arthritis in my knees and am in pain every day. I can't afford to have seek different treatments. My life would be infinitely better with universal healthcare.

Sorry for being off-topic but there are many different stories of healthcare for Americans and many are not pretty and certainly not better than other countries.

I think I might have learned something here. The shooter was a wealthy man. There were people killed and injured, causing their families to incur big medical bills. What are the chances that his assets will be frozen and distributed by the police (or FBI or whoever) to help the families offset costs. Heck, a funeral for someone he shot and killed may cost the family, say, $5,000. Will his estate be forced to pay the family the $5000 or will the final injustice be that the shooters money will go to his heirs while the families not only suffer the loss of a loved one, but suffer through paying for that loss?

The wait times stated by the person you answered were understated. Sure if you've blown out your knee and they think you have an ACL or MCL tear, you're probably getting in that day or the next. If they think you have an intestinal blockage which will kill you well yeah, you're going to get in that day. But if they've diagnosed a minor hernia and want a scan to confirm it, you might wait longer. If they think you've broken your leg and want to confirm it, they're going to cast you and give you crutches and you're going to wait longer. Perhaps 2 weeks or a month. And some places in the country have a lot more waiting to do than others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter