Least Favorite Disney Resort in Each Category

Monorail_Man_NJ

DIS Veteran
Obviously everyone has their favorite Disney Resorts that they like to book everytime. But a lot of us regulars have certain resorts that we say "Never Again." Might be useful to first timers and / or interesting to see everyones least favorite resorts. Try to give a reason why its on the bottom.

Ill start off:

Value: All Star Sports (have yet to try a value resort so I can only base this off of what I've read). But it seems this particular resort has the most tour groups and TBH not a fan of the theme (even though I enjoy sports). I am trying All Star Movies next trip though for 1 night.

Moderate: Port Orleans Riverside. I would have said CBR until I recently just stayed there. It didnt look that great but it was FANTASTIC. POR was long walks to the lobby and the busses took forever. Was not a fan (although I do like POFQ).

Deluxe: Animal Kingdom Lodge. While the property is beautiful. Rooms are TINY, Hallways are LONG (literally like 10 minute walk) depending on room location. Animals are hit or miss and the novelty wears off pretty quick. You can see many more animals from the Safari at Animal Kingdom park. All transportation is by BUS and its not near anything else but Animal Kingdom Park. I found the hotel to be way OVERPRICED for what you get and would urge others to AVOID. For a very similar hotel built by same developer try WL.

Here are mine:

Value - I agree the All Star Sports is probably my least favorite. I have no specific rhyme or reason for it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the others. I have stayed at all the values except Art of Animation, but I don't really think of that as much of a value

Moderate - Coronado is my least favorite moderate. We stayed for one night. It was a night that had a large ceremony/convention going on, but it was chaotic. The CMs everywhere did not seem very happy. The food venues that were open didn't have anything in stock the morning we checked out, and this was at 8 am. And the whole feel of the resort seemed geared so much more towards the convention lifestyle and had very little Disney feel to it. A lot of the moderates are big and sprawling, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside and Coronado are all quite large.

Deluxe - I have only stayed at 2, Old Key West and Animal Kingdom Lodge. The Contemporary is the one I have the least interest in staying at, but the attraction of being so close to Magic Kingdom makes me want to stay there.

I love Animal Kingdom Lodge because of the theming. Technically Wilderness Lodge is no closer to the parks than Animal Kingdom Lodge, when you have a car and drive. Mapping out the routes, the distance from Wilderness Lodge to Hollywood Studios is 7 miles and Animal Kingdom Lodge to Hollywood Studios is 5, but if you go to Epcot the opposite is true. Wilderness Lodge to Epcot is 4 and Animal Kingdom Lodge to Epcot is 6. And Magic Kingdom is closer to Animal Kingdom Lodge than Wilderness Lodge is to Animal Kingdom Park. People like to think its so far remote, because it is. It's on the very edge of Disney property where as everything else is closer together in the middle of the property.

Values - I also agree with All Star Sports. Don't like the theme of it at all.

Moderates - I've never had any interest at all in Caribbean Beach. I'm sure it's beautiful, but it's so spread out. (Don't care for POR either for the same reason, but at least I stayed there once)

Deluxe - Animal Kingdom Lodge. We stayed there one time for only one night. They messed up just about everything, including giving our room away with our possessions still in it! The very long hallways were a large downside also.

I'll play:

Value - I don't like Art of Animation or Pop because of size. If you're in one of the farthest rooms, I didn't like the 10-minute walk for drinks or from the buses at the end of the night. Neat theming at both, though, but I prefer the smaller footprint of one of the All Stars.

Moderate - Fort Wilderness Cabins. I know there's some debate about it being a moderate at all, but it technically is so that's my vote. So spread out. Just not my thing.

Deluxe - Saratoga Springs. It feels like a condominium complex. Not remotely vacation-like or Disney-like for me.

I haven't stayed at every single resort (thinking specifically of SSR and OKW)

Value: Any All Star

Moderate: Caribbean beach (pre refurb. I have no idea how it will shake out after the big reopening)

Deluxe: I absolutely loathed Beach Club. the housekeeping carts just sitting out in the hallway all the time? the smell of Cape May. The confusing layout of the pool. lack of real quick service option.

Value: All Star Sports. Just blah.

Moderate: We never stayed there, but I would say Caribbean Beach as it seems just WAY too spread out.

Deluxe: Boardwalk. I so wanted to like the resort, but we wont be back. Maybe someday we'll try the Villa side. Another deluxe I'm not thrilled about is the CR. It doesn't feel like I'm in Disney when there. Love the convenience of the walk to/from the MK and I do like Chef Mickeys too, but that's where the love ends for me.

We have stayed at least 1 night in every Resort except a cabin at FW and OKW.

Value - Pop Century - Had a poor experience and while I realize that it was a one off situation and unlikely to be repeated it was enough to turn me off of the resort. We don't stay Value in general anymore other than single nights when we've arrived late. Pop is still the last one I'll book
Mod - Coronado Springs - Had a poor experience here. Unlike what happened at Pop, it could reoccur. I do not feel like CSR handled it well at all and I'm not likely to give them a 2nd chance. I tend to never say never but with CBR and both Orleans Mods out there, I can't see us going with CSR
Deluxe - GF. Nothing occurred here. It simply wasn't the right fit for us. The vibe is the opposite of everything we like. Considering it's often one of the most expensive, there's no valid reason to stay here over a resort we like better (and pay less for)
Villa - SSR. Rooms are in pretty poor shape and the sleeping options are horrific. Yes, I felt the sofa bed here was so bad you'd be more comfortable sleeping on the concrete patio. If they ever go through a remodel I would stay there

Value - All Star Music - I'm not wild about the theme and the Broadway building is way too far away.

Moderate - Port Orleans Riverside - The twisty turny paths in the Alligator Bayou section are so annoying! I know they add to the theme, but I hate feeling like I'm going out of my way and backtracking. Also, some building are *really* a long way away from everything.

Deluxe - Grand Floridian - I find the entire resort unnecessarily pretentious. I stayed on the DVC side and even they were extra-snooty. I've stayed at AKL Club Level (though DVC) with people are are paying almost as much as those staying at the GF and I don't get the same "nose-in-the-air" vibe from them.

DVC Villas - Old Key West - OKW is problematic as it was the first DVC resort and they learned as the went along. I don't like that the studios have 2 beds instead of a bed and a fold out and I don't like that some 1BRs have no access to the bathroom except through the master bedroom.

We've only stayed Deluxe and only at a few so,

We've stayed at Beach Club, Yacht Club, Polynesian.

Least favorite is Polynesian - not walkable to any parks and ended up really, really missing that, annoying crowds at the bar when just trying to relax - took forever to get a glass of wine, did not like lobby smell, pool kind of small and we didn't care for the food options.

Looking forward to trying Boardwalk Inn in 2020. We are springing for a boardwalk/water view and I think we'll really enjoy it. Very excited!

We only have recent experience with Deluxes. Last stay at a moderate was 1998 at CBR. Not ranking SSR or OKW as we dont frequent those two.

Least favorite - Animal Kingdom Lodge. Dont care for the room decor, too dark. And it's just too darn far from anywhere except AK itself. That being said we LOVE to visit AKL and do so every trip. We love Boma, Jiko, and Sanaa and we also love to just roam the resort. But we would never stay there over any of the other deluxes.

Value - Never Experienced..

Mod - We love POFQ and POR. Stayed at CBR 18 years ago and don’t remember much about it just that I don’t recall any issues and I know it had been remodeled.

Deluxe - We have stayed at most of them. AKL was our least favorite. I agree with what the others have said. We have dinner at Boma every trip so get to visit.

Value- we’ve not stayed in any

Moderate - CBR. It’s way to big and way too spread out. Buses are often full. If you not in the building next to the restaurants it takes forever to get to them. Not impressed by the pool.

Deluxe - GF. Have only visited, not stayed there, but we were not impressed. It’s very pretentious and stuffy. Does not feel homey, friendly or relaxing.

It really depends who you ask in our family:) These are only based on the ones we stayed at.
Value: DD's and DW: ASSP, they are not really sport fans. me: ASMU, no specific reason. FAV; ASMO
Mod: Whole family: CBR, but truthfully we would not hesitate to stay at any of them. FAV; POFQ
Deluxe: Whole family: POLY, love the location and that was it. Also; we have no interest in staying at SSR or OKW. FAV; GF

Value- we’ve stayed at Movies, Pop, and AoA(Family Suite). Of the 3 Movies would have been my least favorite.

Moderate - POR is the only moderate that i have stayed at it was my least favorite resort out of any that i have stayed at.

Deluxe - I have only stayed at Poly so far so i don't have a least favorite in this category. We are staying at AKL this year so i will have something to compare after this trip.

Value: All-star Sports, just not interested in the theming
Moderate: Port Orleans French Quarter, ditto
Deluxe; Boardwalk, clown pool (no clown issues, just not interesting)
DVC: Saratoga Springs, only because the studios are tiny. Especially compared to OKW.

Value - All star sports and Art of Animation(Little Mermaid Rooms Only)
Moderate - CBR
Deluxe - Saratoga Springs - it is actually our least favorite resort of all
I would however love to be at any of the above at this moment. It's -10 and I'm really missing the magic!!!

Value - Art of Animation

Moderate - Port Orleans French Quarter

Deluxe - Contemporary

DVC - Saratoga Springs

We would stay at any of the above again. We have enjoyed our stays at all of them. But when ranking, these are on the bottom.

Value: Pop but never stayed at Sports

Moderate: POR but I would stay there again

Deluxe: first stay at a Deluxe in August

Never stayed value

Mods- Coronado Springs, just kinda meh, nothing BAD, theming was not my cup of tea, and if I have to walk a long way to the front of the resort, I just prefer there to be shade.

Deluxe- boardwalk. I wanted so badly to love it, it’s my favorite resort to look at from across a lake, but we found the layout to be super inconvenient, and there were several minor, dumb things in our room (coffee pot on this cute armoire, but no outlets close to it, etc) CMs we’re also pretty grumpy that stay.

Villa- Saratoga Springs- you get SO much more bang for your buck at OKW.

Value - never experienced

Moderate - We use to love CBR but there are too many people smoking outside their rooms. That is the only Mod. we have stayed at.

Deluxe - GF because the walls are paper thin...you can hear everything in the next room. We use to love YC but now they have wood floors...too much noise unless you get top floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter