Least Favorite Disney Resort in Each Category

We haven’t stayed at any values and only one moderate, but here goes:
Value: ASMU just doesn’t look inviting to me. Everyone says Pop is the value to beat.
Moderate: CSR We travel to the Caribbean quite frequently, so I wouldn’t travel to an approximation of it in Florida. Also, it seems very large
Deluxe: The Poly. Love the location, but don’t like lobby or the restaurants.

I haven’t stayed at all the resort but have seen them all to eat or visit at some point. Although I am listing my least favorites I have never had a bad enough stay at any Disney resort to say I wouldn’t return.

Value: All Star Music and Sports tie for me. Just don’t like the themes. Would probably book Sports over music just bc it tends to be the cheapest.

Moderate: CSR have only been there to go inside the convention center but just didn’t like the theme or look of it. Would still try it one day though.

Deluxe: this is the saddest for me since I have dreamed of staying here for years. Poly😕 It has been my dream resort along with the GF so I finally booked it last year. I didn’t love it. We stayed on the building on the side of trader sams and used that hallway multiple times a day to get to Captain Cooks. The smell in that hallway made me so nauseous I had to hold my breath. Otherwise the resort was ok. Like the location, pool and food options but no way is it worth all the money I spent on it. This is one place that although I would go back it moved to the bottom of my choices and would only be if there was a heavy discount. Another issue was the tiny elevators in the longhouses. We had a city mini double stroller and you had to pull in sideways to fit and only the stroller and person pushing could fit. I always felt bad when waiting for an elevator and someone else came up behind knowing we couldn’t all go. We did a split stay starting at Dolphin and once at Poly I really missed their sets of large elevators that moved super fast.

Villas- I’ve only stayed in a few through points rental but had good stays in all. The only time I didn’t love a stay was a 1 night stay at AKV. It was just a bad room location. Should have been a savannah view but it almost seemed more like a standard view that u get a partial view of the savannah. It was a million miles from the lobby and I don’t think we saw any animals. However we did other trips in a savannah view room and pool view and those made AKL/AKV a top choice to return to.

We are trying GF next trip and really hope it doesn’t disappoint like the Poly did.

I haven’t stayed at all the resort but have seen them all to eat or visit at some point. Although I am listing my least favorites I have never had a bad enough stay at any Disney resort to say I wouldn’t return.

Value: All Star Music and Sports tie for me. Just don’t like the themes. Would probably book Sports over music just bc it tends to be the cheapest.

Moderate: CSR have only been there to go inside the convention center but just didn’t like the theme or look of it. Would still try it one day though.

Deluxe: this is the saddest for me since I have dreamed of staying here for years. Poly😕 It has been my dream resort along with the GF so I finally booked it last year. I didn’t love it. We stayed on the building on the side of trader sams and used that hallway multiple times a day to get to Captain Cooks. The smell in that hallway made me so nauseous I had to hold my breath. Otherwise the resort was ok. Like the location, pool and food options but no way is it worth all the money I spent on it. This is one place that although I would go back it moved to the bottom of my choices and would only be if there was a heavy discount. Another issue was the tiny elevators in the longhouses. We had a city mini double stroller and you had to pull in sideways to fit and only the stroller and person pushing could fit. I always felt bad when waiting for an elevator and someone else came up behind knowing we couldn’t all go. We did a split stay starting at Dolphin and once at Poly I really missed their sets of large elevators that moved super fast.

Villas- I’ve only stayed in a few through points rental but had good stays in all. The only time I didn’t love a stay was a 1 night stay at AKV. It was just a bad room location. Should have been a savannah view but it almost seemed more like a standard view that u get a partial view of the savannah. It was a million miles from the lobby and I don’t think we saw any animals. However we did other trips in a savannah view room and pool view and those made AKL/AKV a top choice to return to.

We are trying GF next trip and really hope it doesn’t disappoint like the Poly did.
My husband and I felt the exact same way about the Poly, unfortunately. We like visiting, but we'll never stay there again.

We just stayed at the Contemporary in a Theme Park View room and it was absolutely wonderful. I'd pay to stay there again in a heartbeat.

Value: All Star Sports. The theme just has zero appeal to me.

Moderate: Port Orleans French Quarter. Small doesn't always equal better. The single bus stop was a free-for-all, and the resort felt crowded because the smaller resort meant for fewer places for people to congregate. It was also the second stop after POR on the boat to Disney Springs, so the boats filled quick or sometimes we'd have to wait for the next one.

Deluxe: Old Key West. Nothing special about the theme. Large, sprawling resort with room locations not practical for walking to/from main buildings. No alternate transportation options to any of the parks which negates the value of a deluxe resort. There is a boat to Disney Springs, but that's not as convenient as the walking path at Saratoga Springs, which is why OKW inched out SSR as my least favorite.

Value: never stayed at any and don’t have the interest, but I’ll go with All Star Sports because it’s just so generic.

Mod: POR by a country mile. Unpopular opinion but I hate the theme. Antebellum anything creeps me right out and I still remember when this place was called Dixie Landings. Plus it has all the issues with sprawl of other Mods while lagging behind on upgrades. Hard pass.

Deluxe: This is tough because I’ve liked every Deluxe I’ve stayed at so far, but AKL might be it. I know people say it’s not as far from everything as it seems, but it feels isolated; I love being able to resort hop with ease, head to parks, etc and you just can’t do that there. And taking the bus everywhere just doesn’t feel magical. I enjoy the different kinds of Disney transportation and love having a resort launch or boat to DS, etc. I feel bad but the Poly got slammed in this thread and that’s my fave, lol. It takes all kinds!

I have not stayed at any of these resorts but I have visited them and I research a lot and watch a ton of resort related youtube videos.

Value - AS Music...we visited the resort in 2017 while staying at Movies and did not care for the vibe at all and the food court was not fully up and running (no idea why). Prefer POP in this category.

Moderate - Coronado.....I am just not into that theme and it seemed very very busy when we visited. The resorts we stay at are usually busy but at Coronado it seemed more like people hurrying to make it to an appointment and general hustle and bustle.

Deluxe - Contemporary.....to me, 8-10 story towers are not what I think of as Disney. It's sure cool that the monorail goes through it. This resort would be a great one to stay in if it was in the Hotel Zone in Cancun. It just doesn't seem Disney to me.

As a disclaimer, I surely would stay at the Contemporary if I was able to get it at the price of a moderate or I would stay at Coronado if I could snag it for a value resort price.....I just won't choose those places when there are other places at the same or comparable price points.

Last edited:
Value - I've only stayed at Pop, but only because I'm waiting for the All Stars to get renovated, but I'll likely never stay at Sports, it just doesn't appeal to me.
Moderate - We've stayed at all of them (except the cabins) and CSR is my least favorite by a mile. We had a terrible check-in and departure experience, and the resort did nothing for me. We were in Ranchos and it was so far away from the main building. I would consider staying in the tower, but it'd have to be a real good deal.
Deluxe - We've stayed at WL, GF, AKL and I hate to say this because it was my dream to stay here, but I did not like AKL at all. We arrived at night, no one greeted us, it was so dark inside the lobby it took us a few minutes to situate ourselves, the walk to our room was so long (I mean, it was nice that it was inside, but man, it felt like we walked for miles), and I did not like anything about the room, except our view (we had an obstructed savanna view). The bed was so incredibly uncomfortable, there was minimal storage throughout the entire room, I just hated it.

I don't think there is one I don't like! I would say I was the least impressed with CR but it was still a great hotel. My favorite is AKL.

To be clear I would stay anywhere on property if it meant I could visit. Heck is sleep in a tent in the parking lot! That said...

Value: All Star Sports. I am not even a little interested in the theme.

Mod: CBR. Too big layout wise.

Deluxe: Boardwalk. The Cms were not my favorite. Service not great. Clown pool creepy.

Of all of the resorts we visited, I feel the Contemporary Resort, from the block looking building to the overall bland theming, it feels the least like a Disney resort and if the monorail did not go through it I would swear it was not a WDW resort. The decor was by far the most repetitive, BORING I have seen in a a so called upscale resort, if this place was out by CS it would be a ghost town, never had the urge to stay there and being back there again, even less inclination to visit again, but thanks to the CG, I will have to go back.........

Value: All Stars Sports - just not the type of theming I like.
Moderate: Corondo - This was a tough one, since none of the moderates really turn me off, but the theming of this one, plus it’s focus on convention traffic, is probably my least favorite.
Deluxe: Swan and Dolphin, Contemporary - I stayed there as a kid many times and it just seems cold and uninspiring. Beach club and yacht club seem boring to me because I live in New England, where there are a lot of these types of resorts, so I would go against the grain and choose Boardwalk for Epcot resorts.

I would stay at these again, but as far as rating goes these are at the bottom:

Value: n/a

Mod: POR. Too spread out for us. Internal buses not our favorite. We've outgrown the room size. Loved the food court, though!

Deluxe: BWI. Layout confusing to me from time I enter the building to the time I find my room. Just don't get that special feeling there. Going to try it again someday after our kids are grown and gone, though!

DVC/Villa: n/a

I was worried about our stay at the Contemporary because I'd read some negative reviews about it -- but it was magical. We had a Theme Park View room in the main tower and it was an amazing experience. Even the little touches like the Mickey voice that announces what floor you're on in the elevator were awesome. Sitting at Contempo Cafe, I actually got choked up when the monorail went through overhead (silly, I know). I think if you weren't staying in the main tower it might not be as wonderful, but I was just blown away by our stay there.

But as a demonstration that there are different resorts for different people's tastes, we stayed at the Polynesian and unfortunately discovered that it just wasn't for us. It did not feel relaxing because the resort is so busy everywhere you turn. And we thought Captain Cooks was the worst food we've ever had at a quick service. Like, they honestly should have been embarrassed that they served it. We also thoughts the beds were awful, but that's a pretty subjective thing.

We also just stayed at the Swan and while it's got a great location, it just lacks that something special that they have at Disney resorts. We're Disney resort people, we discovered and are willing to pay more for the perks that make the trip more convenient like the meal plan and charging to your magic band.

Our last stay at POR in July will probably be our last. I hate what they've done to the rooms and the bus service was by far the worst we've ever experienced at any Disney resort.

Another unpopular opinion -- we did not like Pop. Full disclosure, we've not stayed there since they redid the rooms, but I just did not like the size. It felt like there were so many people everywhere -- the food court, the buses, and the pools. I felt like a sardine. And the fact that the bus stop is often one of the farthest away at the theme parks was not a fun experience for us. With the new Skyliner I might be willing to give it another try, but now it's so expensive, I'm not sure I wouldn't just pay a little more per night to stay at Coronado with an AP discount.

Values: never stayed

Mods: POFQ. Not enough trees; too manicured and sparse for my liking. Fave: POR. So lush! So cozy. Feels like home but nicer 😂

Deluxe: GF. Dreamed about it my whole life then checked out on my first night to go to Poly. Too pretentious. Room was beyond boring. I was craving the old yellow wallpaper. Fave: Poly omg so relaxing with the tiki torches at night! So transporting! I LOVE the 70s vibe

Villas: baylake tower, lake view: pool lights were AWFUL at night. So frickin bright. Not relaxing at all after I put my toddler to bed. Fave: Beach Club. Can’t beat stormalong bay.

MOD: Caribbean Beach: haven't stayed since the refurb so definitely would try again.

Deluxe: Grand Floridian. I just wasn't super impressed. Not my style.

DVC: I haven't stayed yet but I visited the grounds.... SSR. It just feels HUGE and not themed. Like nice apartments. I may change my mind. Staying there in 6 days. I was also disappointed with BRV rooms. I felt the room was in a real need of an upgrade (I own there and would be happy staying there everytime though)

Would you rather stay at Poly or Boardwalk for 4 nights? I am not impressed with pics of Boardwalk pool and heard that they don't check Magic Bands and it is overrun by people who are not staying on site.

I would rather do BW. We love the Epcot area. When we stayed at BW they don’t check MB but the pool was not overrun and we stayed over a very busy week.

Deluxe:
Have stayed at: Contemporary, Poly, WL. Was 3 when we stayed at Contemporary in '72. Loved Poly and WL as an adult. Sorry to have to choose Contemporary, but here we are.

Moderate:
Have stayed at: POFQ, COR, CBR. Least favorite by a landslide: Caribbean Beach Resort. Too big, too blah, too far to walk to get 'free' soda refills.

Value:
Have stayed at: Pop!, Music, and about to stay at Movies. Liked them all. Probably Music would be my least favorite, but not by much.

Value- never stayed at any but from pics ASSp age I’m a sports fan. Just doesn’t do it for me.

Moderate- only stayed at CBR (x2) and POFQ. From pics I would say least favorite would be POR. CSR has always been an option for me due to the pool mostly.

Deluxe- stayed at BC, BWV and poly. Least favorite was poly. Very busy, lots of people, small boring pool. I have zero desire to stay at OKW or SSR either.

I don't have a least favorite moderate. So I'll use up 2 slot for deluxe. :)

My least favorite Value would be All Star Sports. I have never stayed there, nor have I stayed at my least favorite deluxe resorts. They are my choices because they would be the dead last places I'd choose in each category.

I stayed at an All Star once and I just didn't really like it that much, plus the theme of Sports isn't my thing. I like certain sports, but enough for an entire themed vacation experience. :)

My least favorite/interested in deluxe resorts would be Saratoga Springs & Grand Floridian. I've visited GF, but it's just not me. And SS seems a bit too much like my own backyard to me. :) I want my resort experience to feel less like home and more like vacation. :)

I have not stayed at all of the Disney resorts. In fact I have never stayed at any resort other than Deluxe or DVC resorts. But I have visited and walked around every resort in WDW. With that said, here is mine.

Value Resorts. None of them. I am not a fan of the themes, look or feel of the Value resorts. No slam to those who enjoy them. It's just not for me.

Moderate Resorts. Caribbean Beach Resort. Not a fan of the size or the theme of this resort.

Deluxe Resorts. This one is tough for me. I'm not a fan of either the Contemporary Resort or Beach Club Resort. I love the location for the CR and for that reason my least favorite is BC. I personally find it a bit vanilla in theming, I want a full balcony, and Cape May just echos in the lobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter