• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Let’s Talk Mask Designs and Styles!

From the speculation thread...

It's a good idea to try different things. All cloth masks are not created equal. I have 3 that I love. They wear just like the paper masks for me. I have 3 that are ok - they fog up my glasses, but I can breathe ok in them. And then I have one that does not fog up my glasses but wow, is it ever difficult to breathe in that thing! It's a bummer too, the print is Disney Princesses, Starbucks style and so cute, but I just can't wear it for more than a couple minutes.

We’ve tried 5 different types of cloth masks. I think they are awful. We are done. So I purchased several boxes of the paper masks on amazon. Fortunately the kids don’t go too many places where they have to wear a mask for long, and we are homeschooling this year!

@Aurora0427 , that's why we have to try all the things. There are several masks at this house that I won't wear. H loves the gaiter style, I hate them. I do think the paper masks are the lightest, and wear the easiest, especially in a hot/humid situation. Thankfully we're able to purchase paper masks again - there for a while you couldn't get them.

I have been closely watching the talk of gaiters.

I understand the posted requirement is ear loops, but that even the gaiter style WITH ear "slits" is not acceptable due to the fact that most (all?) gaiter style are only one layer.

If this is the true reasoning, then I think Disney needs to specifically say that "single layers of fabric are not acceptable" because quite honestly, I was sent a free "face covering" from a local company when I placed an order for something else, and it's literally a piece of t shirt material that was cut into a rough mask shape with a slit cut in either end to accommodate the wearer's ears. I mean, it fits Disney's rule of having ear loops but it's just a single layer of stretchy t shirt material!

Interesting. I hadn't heard that was their reasoning against gaiters. The ones we have are 2 layer, with a pocket for a filter, so that's a 3rd layer.

Are the shop Disney masks 3 layer?

I have been closely watching the talk of gaiters.

I understand the posted requirement is ear loops, but that even the gaiter style WITH ear "slits" is not acceptable due to the fact that most (all?) gaiter style are only one layer.

If this is the true reasoning, then I think Disney needs to specifically say that "single layers of fabric are not acceptable" ...
The quote below from another board does have specific details from Disney about masks needing to be at least "two layers of breathable material." This information is for WDW, but I would expect to see this apply to DLR, too.

Unfortunately single-layer masks do not meet Disney's requirements.
Disney World updated their face coverings requirements today. From this link:
Face Coverings

Face coverings are required for all Guests (ages 2 and up) and Cast Members. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining or swimming.
All face coverings (whether disposable or reusable) must:
  • Be made with at least two layers of breathable material
  • Fully cover the nose and mouth and secure under the chin
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
At this time, based on guidance from health authorities, neck gaiters and open-chin triangle bandanas are not acceptable face coverings.

Costume masks are also not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.

The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

The quote below from another board does have specific details from Disney about masks needing to be at least "two layers of breathable material." This information is for WDW, but I would expect to see this apply to DLR, too.
Merely to be argumentative (to Disney, not you!), are they actually going to inspect people's masks closely enough to "confirm" they're two layers? I am thinking of the one I use at work, which IS two layers, but I don't think the second layer is visible from the outside. I would have to take it off in order for someone to tell there was a second layer of fabric lining.

What a mess this whole thing is!

I do want the Stitch mask for my husband to wear with his Stitch sunglasses, but I don't necessarily want the other 3 that come with it so I shall have to look elsewhere, I think.

Merely to be argumentative (to Disney, not you!), are they actually going to inspect people's masks closely enough to "confirm" they're two layers? I am thinking of the one I use at work, which IS two layers, but I don't think the second layer is visible from the outside. I would have to take it off in order for someone to tell there was a second layer of fabric lining...
I'm thinking that part of the "two layer" specification is to prevent the anti-mask contingent from showing up wearing their mesh masks. Have you seen the news articles about those? They are "masks" made of open weave mesh, like lingerie mesh, where the wearer's face is completely visible through the mask. So the wearer feels like they are technically following the rule while giving a loud, clear anti-mask message to everyone around them. Requiring 2 layers (i.e. an opaque mask) would prevent people from trying to wear those kinds of "masks" on Disney property. The requirement for traditional masks with ear loops or ties prevents people from trying to get away with wearing Lone Ranger masks, Halloween masks, stormtrooper or other kinds of helmets, face shields only, beekeeper hats/veils, etc. Rather than listing the hundreds/thousands of things that are not allowed, it is easier for Disney to just list what is allowed.

Vera Bradley masks are cute! And they are getting very good reviews on other boards. Other posters say that the sold out patterns get restocked regularly.
Nordstrom masks are very soft cotton jersey, like t-shirt fabric. 6 for $24. They are 2 layers with a filter pocket.

I'm thinking that part of the "two layer" specification is to prevent the anti-mask contingent from showing up wearing their mesh masks. Have you seen the news articles about those? They are "masks" made of open weave mesh, like lingerie mesh, where the wearer's face is completely visible through the mask. So the wearer feels like they are technically following the rule while giving a loud, clear anti-mask message to everyone around them. Requiring 2 layers (i.e. an opaque mask) would prevent people from trying to wear those kinds of "masks" on Disney property. The requirement for traditional masks with ear loops or ties prevents people from trying to get away with wearing Lone Ranger masks, Halloween masks, stormtrooper or other kinds of helmets, face shields only, beekeeper hats/veils, etc. Rather than listing the hundreds/thousands of things that are not allowed, it is easier for Disney to just list what is allowed.

Had not seen that. Not surprised tho....

I think you are 💯 right! I saw a woman out at a store wearing a lace mantilla. It was a full on veil completely made of lace. I rolled my eyes so hard. I’m assuming she’s anti mask because no one in their right mind would think that’s protecting your fellow humans from droplets. 🤦‍♀️

@Aurora0427 , we saw that too! It was early in masking, before we knew people were doing it to try to make a point. At the time I just thought "what? That isn't helping anyone!"

I've thought of buying some paper masks just to have on hand, but cannot find any that are not made in China. I'm not anxious to buy masks made in China. If anyone has found any that are not made in China, I would love to know where to buy them.

If anyone is still looking, we really like the target masks. They are 2 layers with a pocket for a filter. The whole thing, ear loops included, is really soft. And, they are 2 for $4. We think they run a bit big, but they are 100% cotton so I washed and dried them and now they fit great. I’ve gotten rid of all our other masks and these are the only ones we use now. I stocked up, because supposedly we are going back to school in person in the fall. They come in one kids size and 2 adult sizes.

If anyone is still looking, we really like the target masks. They are 2 layers with a pocket for a filter. The whole thing, ear loops included, is really soft. And, they are 2 for $4. We think they run a bit big, but they are 100% cotton so I washed and dried them and now they fit great. I’ve gotten rid of all our other masks and these are the only ones we use now. I stocked up, because supposedly we are going back to school in person in the fall. They come in one kids size and 2 adult sizes.
Hi. How is it without the nose wire? I have so many masks, but still haven't found ones I particularly like for just throwing on easily for a quick errand. While I like the fit of disposables the most and plan to use them at Disney (one day...sigh), it feels too wasteful to wear them for regular wear. But a lot of the ones without nose wires just seem to either irritate my nose or lay awkwardly. I guess for only $4 it's an inexpensive cost for trying them at least!

Hi. How is it without the nose wire? I have so many masks, but still haven't found ones I particularly like for just throwing on easily for a quick errand. While I like the fit of disposables the most and plan to use them at Disney (one day...sigh), it feels too wasteful to wear them for regular wear. But a lot of the ones without nose wires just seem to either irritate my nose or lay awkwardly. I guess for only $4 it's an inexpensive cost for trying them at least!
It’s contoured, so it actually fits quite well. There’s no gap, which is why I prefer the contoured style to the pleated style. My daughter wears glasses, and the target ones give her the least problems fogging up her glasses. It still happens sometimes, but it’s not as bad as the pleated ones.

It’s contoured, so it actually fits quite well. There’s no gap, which is why I prefer the contoured style to the pleated style. My daughter wears glasses, and the target ones give her the least problems fogging up her glasses. It still happens sometimes, but it’s not as bad as the pleated ones.
Thanks! I am going to try them out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter