Magical Memories, Creativity & Crafting, Obsessive Planning, Gluten-Free-Nov 2011 PTR

Monsters Inc is my favourite movie! Love love love your movie nights, Little Mikey is adorable! You're so creative!

So here is our latest Epcot Country themed week: China.

As always we start off with "stamping" their passports and then coloring the Mickey China sheet (somehow forgot to take a pic of that). We learned how to say hello, good-bye, thank you and Mickey Mouse in Chinese. We read tons and tons of books throughout the week. There are soooo many great books on China that I requested from the library. Too many actually.

The first craft we made was coolie hats. We used poster board (only had black on hand or would have probably used red) and then used a paint pen to have the kids write Chinese symbols on their hats. I found a website with pretty basic symbols and the kids had fun choosing which ones they wanted.

Xavier8Tasha5China-CoolieHats-August2011.jpg

Chinese Fortune Sticks: We numbered 70 popsicle sticks and then figured out our fortunes using them and the printed fortune sheets. The kids really enjoyed this activity.

Xavier8Tasha5China-FortuneSticks-August2011.jpg

Chopstick Game
Xavier8ChinaGame-August2011.jpg

Tasha5ChinaGame-August2011.jpg

Chinese Paper Lanterns
ChinaWeek-paperlanterns-August2011.jpg

Paper Fans
Tasha5Xavier8ChinaWeek-fans-August2011.jpg

China Look & Find Puzzle
ChinaPuzzle-August2011.jpg

Crossword Puzzles
ChinaWeek-crosswords-August2011.jpg

Great Wall Of China Paper Craft
ChinaWeek-GreatWallCraft-August2011.jpg

Online Activities (including puzzle which is shown in this pic)
Xavier8China-OnlinePuzzle-August2011.jpg

Handprint Dragon
Tasha5China-DragonCraft-August2011.jpg

Xavier8China-DragonCraft-August2011.jpg

Globe Activities (songs, languages, geography)
ChinaWeek-Globe-August2011.jpg

To end our week in China we had a special dinner.
Xavier8ChinaWeek-August2011.jpg

Tasha5ChinaWeek-August2011.jpg

ChinaWeek-table-August2011.jpg

ChinaWeek-Budha-August2011.jpg

ChinaWeek-dish-August2011.jpg

ChinaWeek-lantern-August2011.jpg

All in all in was another fun country week. There were other things I had researched but just ran out of steam to get completed. (Mostly cooking/baking projects.) Next up Germany!

You are so talented! I love all of your country and movie themed crafts that you do with your children. Everything turned out great and it looks like they really enjoy themselves while they are learning about these countries :goodvibes

You are so talented! I love all of your country and movie themed crafts that you do with your children. Everything turned out great and it looks like they really enjoy themselves while they are learning about these countries :goodvibes

Thanks so much! :) It's really been fun doing the countries. I especially love listening to my little girl when we are trying to learn new words in other languages. It's pretty funny, but she tries so hard! :goodvibes

Hi Kari

I have been getting caught up w/ your awesome PTR the last few days w/ all your handy post links :thumbsup2 I am in awe of all the movie nights and country weeks...:worship: all i can say is WOW! and how do you find the time?

I hope I can borrow some if these great ideas! and I love the planning books too...you inspired me to work on one very similar for my children :thumbsup2

great stuff...

Scrappie (julie)

Just read through your entire trip report! Loving the movie and country nights you are doing. So impressive!

I am gluten free too! I booked 50s Prime Time just for the GF fried chicken so I really hope they have it. Otherwise I will be very upset.

We are heading down October 19, so just a little earlier than you.

I love your country theme nights...so creative and fun! :thumbsup2

Thank you!!! :)

Hi Kari

I have been getting caught up w/ your awesome PTR the last few days w/ all your handy post links :thumbsup2 I am in awe of all the movie nights and country weeks...:worship: all i can say is WOW! and how do you find the time?

I hope I can borrow some if these great ideas! and I love the planning books too...you inspired me to work on one very similar for my children :thumbsup2

great stuff...

Scrappie (julie)

Oh, thanks so much! :lovestruc Glad you liked the planner book and want to make one for your kids, too. I'm sure they will love it!

Just read through your entire trip report! Loving the movie and country nights you are doing. So impressive!

I am gluten free too! I booked 50s Prime Time just for the GF fried chicken so I really hope they have it. Otherwise I will be very upset.

We are heading down October 19, so just a little earlier than you.

Thanks a lot! :goodvibes I agree with you on the fried chicken. I've heard others say they requested it ahead of time and then were told when they got there that they didn't get that request or just plain old couldn't have it. I'm soooo looking forward to getting some real fried chicken after almost two years. Yummmm

Quick Question. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share the pages in your planning binder? I'm going NUTS with all these loose papers everywhere. I have a binder that I've been using for planning the trip, but now that the reservations are made and I'm looking at planning for when we get there and ADR's and doing these family movie nights, traveling to get there, etc... I'm right back to going crazy with scribbling stuff down here and there. You've got fantastic ideas and you are so well organized! I'm totally jealous. lol

Quick Question. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share the pages in your planning binder? I'm going NUTS with all these loose papers everywhere. I have a binder that I've been using for planning the trip, but now that the reservations are made and I'm looking at planning for when we get there and ADR's and doing these family movie nights, traveling to get there, etc... I'm right back to going crazy with scribbling stuff down here and there. You've got fantastic ideas and you are so well organized! I'm totally jealous. lol

Most of the pages from my binder are from different people on this board. On the CreativeDigsign board. Sorry, I have no idea which pages are from who. Also a lot of the kids pages I just made up on my own and didn't save them. They were pretty basic. I know no help at all. :confused3 Sorry :sad1:

hey, I just finished your PTR. I really enjoyed your creativity and your children are beautiful. I hope you have a great time.

Another great week, love all of the Chuna crafts and activities you all did!

"My husband and I hemmed and hawed about seating arrangements with the two kids. The plane we are on as seats three and three. We ended up deciding on the kids and I on one side of the plane and my husband in the aisle seat next to us. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on this? Do you think this is a good arrangement or did something work out better for you?"

This is how we have always sat on Southwest. I usually take the window seat, my youngest (4 the first time) and my oldest (6 the first time) is on the aisle with my husband across the aisle. I like the kids on the outside so they can get to the bathroom better and they get a parent on both sides.

"My husband and I hemmed and hawed about seating arrangements with the two kids. The plane we are on as seats three and three. We ended up deciding on the kids and I on one side of the plane and my husband in the aisle seat next to us. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on this? Do you think this is a good arrangement or did something work out better for you?"

This is how we have always sat on Southwest. I usually take the window seat, my youngest (4 the first time) and my oldest (6 the first time) is on the aisle with my husband across the aisle. I like the kids on the outside so they can get to the bathroom better and they get a parent on both sides.

Thanks for the input! That a different seating arrangement than I had thought of. My kids are both very excited about having a turn in the window seat but after the initial take off that seating arrangement you suggested may work better. Thanks :)

I stumbled across this autograph book idea here on the DIS and loved the idea. I was having a really hard time deciding what to do for autograph books for the kids. First deciding if I even wanted to do them, but I know once we are there they will want to get autographs. Then I've been having a hard time with what page designs to use, what characters to include, how to print them, etc... So I really liked the idea of using this Disney character encyclopedia book and getting it bound.

autographbook.jpg

autographbook2.jpg

autographbook3.jpg

Since we are bringing a stroller I'm not too worried about them being heavy and having to lug them around. I think they will also come in handy while we are waiting in restaurants and will give us something to read and look at together.

On a side note, I made some simple mousekeeping envelopes and restaurant tip envelopes today. How do you go about figuring what to tip at the restaurants (while on dining plan) before our trip without knowing what we are going to order, therefore what the total of the bill will be? I really want to just have the envelopes filled with the cash ahead of time and not have to worry about it during the trip. Any tips or advice?

Great idea for the autograph books! I'm struggling with it as well, but I don't think the girls will want to carry them around, so I'm still on the fence about it.

As for tips, I just had to go through and guess. Basically I guessed some of the most expensive meals and then figured the tip that way. I always rounded up just in case, but I'm bringing about $250 for tips plus another $35 for mousekeepers! :eek: Good thing the food is free! :laughing:

Great idea for the autograph books! I'm struggling with it as well, but I don't think the girls will want to carry them around, so I'm still on the fence about it.

As for tips, I just had to go through and guess. Basically I guessed some of the most expensive meals and then figured the tip that way. I always rounded up just in case, but I'm bringing about $250 for tips plus another $35 for mousekeepers! :eek: Good thing the food is free! :laughing:

Thanks for the reply! It really does stink to have to think about the tips and set aside the money now, but I really don't want to have to deal with any of it on the trip.

I love that autograph book idea! I made books for my girls the last two trips, but I think we may need to do this encyclopedia book idea next year! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter