• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mando & Grogu Movie is official

I’ll just jump in and say when I’ve referred to Luke Skywalker “man babies” in the past I was meaning the YouTube grifters such as SW The*ry and his asinine clique and followers. Apologies if you took it the wrong way Polymer.

Well, look, I don't make it a habit to try to correct everybody here. You have sometimes asked why you get those reactions, so I am happy to tell you. Maybe you are not a misogynist, but you have posted things that certainly sound that way. That's all I can say. I do find terms like "man baby" and "incel" counter productive. Honestly, I think if you toned down the harsh rehetoric, people wouldn't react to you with harsh words.

I've been there, you know. I'm a comic book fan, and in a comic book store, "discussions" are common. I learned very early that passionate ranting would not entreat people to respect your opinion. You have to make a true argument, using evidence and reason. It's not enough to say, "Character X would never...." You have to articulate why. You're never going to actually change anyones mind, but you can demonstrate where you're coming from and try to understand where they are coming from too. That will create healthy, interesting, and hopefully fun debate.

That's just my two cents anyway.

So.... Where do folks think this is going to go....

Polymer wants some Luke-Leia Han action. Without some recasting i think that will be difficult. I admit, part of why I did not like Solo is because it was not Harrision as Han. Some people are firmly entrenched in my mind in a role and it is hard for me to accept a recast.

I wonder how much of Thrawn they will try to wrap up in season 2 of Ahsoka... or if that will spill over to the Mandaloiran season 4. I seem to remember there will be S4 of Mando first before the movie?

Also if I remember correctly.... in the Mandalorian, we are in the middle of reclaiming Mandalore... so I assume that will be the focus of S4 and not Thrawn?
I agree it would be very difficult to do Han-Leia-Luke scene, so that’s likely why it won’t happen. I just know I have read tons of the ST reviews that consider that omission the single biggest mistake the ST made. Is Favreau bold enough to try and right that wrong? The buzz that would create would be insane and likely top what he did at the end of season 2 of Mando. It likely would ensure that every single OT fan that hears about that would go buy a ticket.

I’ll just jump in and say when I’ve referred to Luke Skywalker “man babies” in the past I was meaning the YouTube grifters such as SW The*ry and his asinine clique and followers. Apologies if you took it the wrong way Polymer.

There is a huge difference in fans that take issue with the storyline and the manufactured outrage machine that pollutes social media. That could be said about anything really. The problem is that people who feel a certian way are succeptible to being sucked into that echo-chamber.

I remember when everyone loved Episode 1...until the Internet told them not to.

Well, look, I don't make it a habit to try to correct everybody here. You have sometimes asked why you get those reactions, so I am happy to tell you. Maybe you are not a misogynist, but you have posted things that certainly sound that way. That's all I can say. I do find terms like "man baby" and "incel" counter productive. Honestly, I think if you toned down the harsh rehetoric, people wouldn't react to you with harsh words.

I've been there, you know. I'm a comic book fan, and in a comic book store, "discussions" are common. I learned very early that passionate ranting would not entreat people to respect your opinion. You have to make a true argument, using evidence and reason. It's not enough to say, "Character X would never...." You have to articulate why. You're never going to actually change anyones mind, but you can demonstrate where you're coming from and try to understand where they are coming from too. That will create healthy, interesting, and hopefully fun debate.

That's just my two cents anyway.
That’s fair.

And from now on I won’t use “Steaming Pile of Poo” or “Hot Garbage” to describe TLJ. I instead will use something along the lines of horribly written, directed, and produced in my opinion.

I agree it would be very difficult to do Han-Leia-Luke scene, so that’s likely why it won’t happen. I just know I have read tons of the ST reviews that consider that omission the single biggest mistake the ST made. Is Favreau bold enough to try and right that wrong? The buzz that would create would be insane and likely top what he did at the end of season 2 of Mando. It likely would ensure that every single OT fan that hears about that would go buy a ticket.
and then complain bitterly about how it is not up to snuff.....

Just not interested in rehashing movies that are done. I think attempting to rewrite a series just to appease a set of fans (who likely will not ever be appeased) is a losing effort.... and a waste of some great characters and storylines.

Sometimes you just need to move on, what is done is done, could it have been better?... Almost always...

That’s fair.

And from now on I won’t use “Steaming Pile of Poo” or “Hot Garbage” to describe TLJ. I instead will use something along the lines of horribly written, directed, and produced in my opinion.

Well, that's a start. But you shouldn't jsut say, "The Last Jedi is horribly written." That's not constructive criticism. Instead, something like, "The Last Jedi is plagued with story issues, particularly in the jarring changes made to returning characters from the Original Trilogy...." Then give reasons. And you don't have to say it every time you mention the movie either. 🙂

and then complain bitterly about how it is not up to snuff.....

Just not interested in rehashing movies that are done. I think attempting to rewrite a series just to appease a set of fans (who likely will not ever be appeased) is a losing effort.... and a waste of some great characters and storylines

Yeah, some fans will never be happy - they don't want to be. Personally, I would like to see Special Editions of all of the movies to smooth out a few rough edges - no doubt the sequels could benefit from this. I'd be inclined to include a bunch of things to make the fans heads explode. Like, "Han shot first?" Nah, I'd redo that scene into a 5 minute CGI bar fight, where Han and Greedo wrestle on the floor and knock over tables. In the end the end up right back where they were and Han shoots him. "Sorry about the mess." I'd do that just to watch the outrage! 🤣

My problem with the sequels has always been they played it too safe when they started out with JJ Abrams. He’s not really that great when it comes to any sort of original storytelling which is why we got A New Hope 2.0 just with some new twists and mystery boxes. Even the other 2 have parallels to Empire and Return of the Jedi.

The prequels with their warts, at least tried to bring something a little newer to the Star Wars film saga.

As far as this movie is concerned opening weekend or 2 probably do well enough for folks trying to avoid spoilers, a decent portion will wait for D+.

Well, that's a start. But you shouldn't jsut say, "The Last Jedi is horribly written." That's not constructive criticism. Instead, something like, "The Last Jedi is plagued with story issues, particularly in the jarring changes made to returning characters from the Original Trilogy...." Then give reasons. And you don't have to say it every time you mention the movie either. 🙂
But I have listed all that word for word before with you and you still don’t like my opinion on the matter. I have literally given you 30 bullet points on specifically what I didn’t think worked in Rian Johnson’s movie.

You don’t like when I say things like “Luke would never do that”, but it is really that simple. I feel like I grew up with and know Luke very well. I felt it was way out of character and so did Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill). I get that you don’t agree, but I see “Luke would never do that” as a very logical rejection of his haphazard and jarring story arc in TLJ. The fact that so many fans had an issue with the way Luke was portrayed seems to suggest my theory has credibility.

I want a great movie that is true to Lucas’s original vision and tone that made us all fall in love with the galaxy far far away. If anyone can do this I believe it is Jon Favreau.

I don’t think I personally know a single person or have ever heard a person say that they want SW to be bad. Well maybe Mike Zero, but does anyone actually listen to that clickbait chaser?

Last edited:
Yeah, some fans will never be happy - they don't want to be. Personally, I would like to see Special Editions of all of the movies to smooth out a few rough edges - no doubt the sequels could benefit from this. I'd be inclined to include a bunch of things to make the fans heads explode. Like, "Han shot first?" Nah, I'd redo that scene into a 5 minute CGI bar fight, where Han and Greedo wrestle on the floor and knock over tables. In the end the end up right back where they were and Han shoots him. "Sorry about the mess." I'd do that just to watch the outrage! 🤣

People take it all too seriously.

I was 5 when I saw Star Wars* in 1977, in 70mm and on the largest screen in my state, and I napped through 20 minutes of it. Went through, and relished, the prime '77-'83 Star Wars mania, suffered through the Holiday Special like every other '70s boy, and stayed a fan ... right up until the Ewoks on Jedi ruined it for me. Ever since I've been a passive fan at best. When people go into a deep dive of the Star Wars galaxy and stories ("the mysticism"), I find the first excuse to get up and leave. As a USC cinema alumnus, I've been fortunate enough hang out with Geo. Lucas a few times at campus events, and thankfully the topic of Star Wars was never breached. I can remember dicussing the Ronald Colman film Lost Horizons, John Wayne's Hondo, Lucasarts in general, and Howard the Duck comic books (not the movie).

As for Mando, we've enjoyed it, but it's really obvious the target is 12-13yo boys. The acting is melodramatic and hammy, the plots are copied from old movies, and action scenes are messy, over-the-top, and over-extended.

*I still don't call it "A New Hope"

But I have listed all that word for word before with you and you still don’t like my opinion on the matter. I have literally given you 30 bullet points on specifically what I didn’t think worked in Rian Johnson’s movie.

You don’t like when I say things like “Luke would never do that”, but it is really that simple. I feel like I grew up with and know Luke very well. I felt it was way out of character and so did Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill). I get that you don’t agree, but I see “Luke would never do that” as a very logical rejection of his haphazard and jarring story arc in TLJ. The fact that so many fans had an issue with the way Luke was portrayed seems to suggest my theory has credibility.

But it's not "that simple." I grew up with Luke too. I am a deeply invested and knowledgeable fan, and I don't have a problem with it. So, what's the disconnect?

Iit's not that I don't "like" yuour opinion, I just don't agree with it. Now, you talking abotu haphazard storytelling, I think that's a point that I can see. They did need to flesh out the backstory a bit more. For me, it doesn't ruin the movie, but it is a valid criticism.

I’m want a great movie that is true to Lucas’s original vision and tone that made us all fall in love with the galaxy far far away. If anyone can do this I believe it is Jon Favreau.

I don’t think I personally know a single person or have ever heard a person say that they want SW to be bad. Well maybe Mike Zero, but does anyone actually listen to that clickbait chaser?

What exactly is "Lucas's original vision" though? I mean, would even the man himself know or stick to that. He hasn't in the past you know, which is why all the fans turned on him. It's so funny that he is held up as a paragon now when he was reviled previously.

People take it all too seriously.

I was 5 when I saw Star Wars* in 1977, in 70mm and on the largest screen in my state, and I napped through 20 minutes of it. Went through, and relished, the prime '77-'83 Star Wars mania, suffered through the Holiday Special like every other '70s boy, and stayed a fan ... right up until the Ewoks on Jedi ruined it for me. Ever since I've been a passive fan at best. When people go into a deep dive of the Star Wars galaxy and stories ("the mysticism"), I find the first excuse to get up and leave. As a USC cinema alumnus, I've been fortunate enough hang out with Geo. Lucas a few times at campus events, and thankfully the topic of Star Wars was never breached. I can remember dicussing the Ronald Colman film Lost Horizons, John Wayne's Hondo, Lucasarts in general, and Howard the Duck comic books (not the movie).

As for Mando, we've enjoyed it, but it's really obvious the target is 12-13yo boys. The acting is melodramatic and hammy, the plots are copied from old movies, and action scenes are messy, over-the-top, and over-extended.

*I still don't call it "A New Hope"

Well, all of Star Wars is melodramatic and hammy, and it is for kids. Some people appreciate that still as an adult and other's dont. I do find it funny when people are such hardcore fans, but yet they don't like the kid-friendly or melodramatic stuff. That's what it is by it's very nature. It's totally fine not to like that, but then why consider yourself a fan just to complain about it all the time?

What exactly is "Lucas's original vision" though? I mean, would even the man himself know or stick to that. He hasn't in the past you know, which is why all the fans turned on him. It's so funny that he is held up as a paragon now when he was reviled previously.
1-6 is Lucas’s original vision. Use that as your road map and guiding principles of lore and you will do well. Don’t break that canon and don’t deconstruct legacy characters to build up your new ones. That’s what I mean. Like I said Favreau stands a better chance than anyone of doing this, why? Because he did just that for two seasons of Mando. He “gets it” is what I am saying.

Rian Johnson did not “get it” in my opinion.
Rian Johnson does a great job with his who done it movies, but was simply a very poor choice to direct a SW sequel in my humble opinion.

1-6 is Lucas’s original vision. Use that as your road map and guiding principles of lore and you will do well. Don’t break that canon and don’t deconstruct legacy characters to build up your new ones. That’s what I mean. Like I said Favreau stands a better chance than anyone of doing this, why? Because he did just that for two seasons of Mando. He “gets it” is what I am saying.

Rian Johnson did not “get it” in my opinion.
Rian Johnson does a great job with his who done it movies, but was simply a very poor choice to direct a SW sequel in my humble opinion.

But, did 1-3 subscribe to the "original vision." I think you'd find lots of fans that say that they don't.

Maybe so, I personally define Lucas’s original vision as those things he actually conceived and made. I know crazy, but what the man created is indeed his vision. Yes, people took issue with the PT, but that has certainly faded over time.

Will the fan backlash issues associated with the Disney ST fade with time? Will they age like wine or milk? That would be the questions. Thus far, my perception is milk.

the best arguments are ones that no one can win...

can we let the poor dead ST horse rest.. how about the future...

Polymer hated them. Brian was meh. I thought there were good parts and stupid parts, But none of us own them or own the "correct" opinion....

Now how about Thrawn.... Wonder who they will get to play Baylon

I think Ahsoka will replace the daughter.... might need to go back to the Clone Wars and rewatch the Mortis episodes

More details.... I thought I had seen that there would be S4, but this suggests it will pick up after S3

https://screenrant.com/mandalorian-star-wars-movie-details-cast-story-release/

SUMMARY​

• Pedro Pascal's Din Djarin and Grogu from The Mandalorian are heading to the big screen in their own Star Wars movie, continuing their beloved journey.
  • The Mandalorian & Grogu will pick up from the end of The Mandalorian season 3, with Din Djarin now working for the New Republic and facing the Imperial resurgence led by Grand Admiral Thrawn.
  • While the release date for The Mandalorian & Grogu hasn't been announced yet, it is the first new Star Wars movie in the works, directed by Jon Favreau and likely featuring other major cast members from the TV show.

Pedro Pascal's Din Djarin and his delightful ward Grogu will be appearing on the big screen in The Mandalorian & Grogu, the next Star Wars movie. In 2019, viewers were introduced to the world of The Mandalorian, and they immediately fell in love with Din Djarin and Grogu (initially known as Baby Yoda). Just four years later, Lucasfilm has confirmed they're coming to the big screen.

The Mandalorian season 3's ending gave Din Djarin a new "career." He's no longer a simple bounty hunter, but instead is working primarily for the New Republic. The timing couldn't be better in narrative terms, because the end of Ahsoka season 1 revealed Grand Admiral Thrawn - one of the greatest Imperial tacticians - has returned to the main Star Wars galaxy. All this means The Mandalorian & Grogu - the cinematic continuation of Din Djarin's journey - should be an exciting Star Wars blockbuster.

The Mandalorian & Grogu is confirmed to spin out of The Mandalorian season 3, meaning it will begin with a new status quo for its heroes. Mandalore has been reclaimed, but Din Djarin has chosen to settle on the planet Nevarro, while pursuing a new career working exclusively for the New Republic. This means he'll be on the front lines of the Imperial resurgence under Grand Admiral Thrawn and the Imperial Shadow Council.

Jon Favreau (creator of The Mandalorian) is confirmed to be helming The Mandalorian & Grogu, and it's likely he has adapted his scripts for The Mandalorian season 4. At this stage, only Din Djarin and Grogu have been confirmed, but it's reasonable to assume other major cast from the Disney+ TV show will appear as well:

There's speculation Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Hera Syndulla and Eman Esfandi's Ezra Bridger will make the jump from Ahsoka season 1 given they're in the right galaxy. If this is the case, then there are significant implications for Ahsoka season 2; it may well mean that story focuses on Rosario Dawson's Ahsoka Tano and Natasha Liu Bordizzo's Sabine Wren, on the distant planet Peridea. More will become clear as details of the recently-confirmed Ahsoka season 2 are revealed.

Lucasfilm has currently booked three release dates over the next few years:

• May 22, 2026
  • December 18, 2026
  • December 17, 2027
The Mandalorian & Grogu is confirmed to be the first new Star Wars movie to release, although an official date has deliberately been withheld, likely meaning this is subject to change during production.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter