We are also big hikers. Once our kids were old enough a few years ago, we started hitting some national parks. So far we've done Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Zion, Capitol Reef and Bryce. They can easily keep up with us on long 8-10 mile hikes. Working on planning a trip to Death Valley, Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon for 2019.

I grew up only a few hours from Yosemite and spent most of my summers hiking along the John Muir Trail in Yosemite and Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth! Great choice, have a wonderful trip!

As for non-Disney vacations we either go with a driving around the states type of trip or the all-inclusive resort in Mexico experience. Both appeal for very different reasons. My favorite vacation though was as a young teen I got to stay with my dad for a summer in Malaysia (he was working there at the time) so I got to see a lot of South East Asia and spend time with my dad. I am not sure any trip will ever compare to that for me.

It's not certain yet by any means but the more I think about it I am not sure I will be at Marathon Weekend 2019. I think my big 2019 trip will be Disneyland which I have never been to. I also want to do Wine and Dine 2018 so I likely wouldn't return to WDW until marathon weekend 2020.

Of course this could all change tomorrow since I really do enjoy Marathon Weekend with all of the people and the races.

Looks like you need to get a decent internship this summer to pay for all of this fun.
I bet Dis_Yoda knows some engineers!

It's not certain yet by any means but the more I think about it I am not sure I will be at Marathon Weekend 2019. I think my big 2019 trip will be Disneyland which I have never been to. I also want to do Wine and Dine 2018 so I likely wouldn't return to WDW until marathon weekend 2020.

Of course this could all change tomorrow since I really do enjoy Marathon Weekend with all of the people and the races.

Doesn’t a hiatus until 2020 sound great?!

I’m doing Zion and Bryce in late May/early June!

You'll love it. As a resident of Utah we head down there often (but not often enough given its proximity...) and I'm amazed each time I visit at how spectacular these parks are. Let me know if you need any recommendations/tips. Capitol Reef - that Nole95 mentioned as well - is a great park, and isn't quite as crowded as the other two. It's not as large, but I always think of it as a great "sampler" park, because although it's not as well-known as Zion's, Bryce or Arches you can hike through terrain that has elements of all 3 - including some great arches and a terrific slot canyon.

Hey everybody, I've planned WDW trips for different scenarios, but this will be my first for Marathon Weekend. As such, is there an onsite property that you prefer over others? I know sometimes it comes down to availability, economics, space, etc. but just wanted to get your feedback on what resorts have worked for you as runners on that particular weekend. We may have the opportunity to get a Beach Club Villa from family who are DVC members, but if doesn't work out, just thinking of Plan B. Thanks in advance.

Hey everybody, I've planned WDW trips for different scenarios, but this will be my first for Marathon Weekend. As such, is there an onsite property that you prefer over others? I know sometimes it comes down to availability, economics, space, etc. but just wanted to get your feedback on what resorts have worked for you as runners on that particular weekend. We may have the opportunity to get a Beach Club Villa from family who are DVC members, but if doesn't work out, just thinking of Plan B. Thanks in advance.
If you can I highly recommend Epcot area resorts or MK area resorts. Overall all the resorts end up working fine but those two are my favorite and most convenient for a marathon weekend trip.

I haven’t heard of any being particularly bad. I stayed at Pop for marathon weekend last year and it was great.

If you can I highly recommend Epcot area resorts or MK area resorts.

I agree. I stayed at the Yacht Club this year, and actually drove to the start every day. Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin make for an easy and short commute to the Epcot parking lot. I also left super early (~3:15 every morning). There was also plenty of TS restaurants for carbo loading in the area and I took advantage of most of them (Il Mulino, Trattoria al Forno, Via Napoli, etc.).

Additionally, I loved having the ability to walk to Epcot and walk/boat to HS. It is also easy for spectators to spectate the 10k and Marathon! If you can do it, Epcot area resorts are awesome.

Last edited:
Monorail resorts give you the advantage of the monorail for Half and Full Marathon mornings (doesn't run for 5k and 10k), and I personally love that predictability. Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk/Swolphin give great spectator viewing options for the 10k and the Full. AK Lodge makes it pretty easy for spectating the full, but really isn't all that convenient for other transport/viewing. We're also DVC members, so we like 1 bedroom and larger, so we can have a kitchen and in room laundry (4 runners totaling 10 runs makes for toxic laundry :crazy2: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter