Looks like they are really waiting until June 1 to get registration information out there. I have another marathon that is opening registration on June 1, it won't sell out but there is a 20% discount for early registration that will take advantage of.

Hopefully by the end of today, I'll have my room reserved for Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World. This is also something I never thought I would actually say.

Edited to add that my room is now reserved for Marathon Weekend. My travel agent responds quickly and I really appreciate her for that.

Last edited:
People who pay more attention to things than I do: have there been any whispers about what we're expecting to see announced tomorrow? The FB groups always hunt for little hints ... has anyone sniffed anything out yet?

When I was digging around last night, I saw that the Virtual Shorts registration was hosted on on a Disney site - the same server it looks like that does tickets and registration for Youth Sports events and conventions. So I wonder if they’re handing registration over to Disney events/groups? :confused3

I’ll go looking around again later. But first, a nap!

Maybe it has always been this way, but I also noticed certain things disappeared from the site like information on cheer squad or race retreat. I wonder if there are some big changes coming about, or if they are just going to launch a new site or something like that.

Maybe it has always been this way, but I also noticed certain things disappeared from the site like information on cheer squad or race retreat. I wonder if there are some big changes coming about, or if they are just going to launch a new site or something like that.
Speaking of race retreat, I'm looking for honest feedback about what's included with race retreat and whether or not it would conceivably be worth it for a runner in my situation, which I have outlined below.

I'm running Goofy or Dopey. It will also be my first marathon ever after 9 half marathons all at runDisney with 6 of those coming since 2015 and 4 of those 6 coming since 2017. I believe I can finish, but I know it will take a lot of hard work and a continued commitment to training.

Now for my estimated corral placement. My fastest race in the last 2 years is the 2017 Star Wars Light Side at Disneyland where I finished in 3:06. Let's assume that will be the time I use for corral placement. Based on that time, I'm basically hoping for not the last corral, but if that's where they place me, I know what I have to do.

1. Best guesses as to what time I would start the marathon are appreciated and I'm figuring I can finish the marathon in anywhere from 6 to 7 hours depending on photo stops, et all which I will skip if the line for the photo could risk being swept.

Would race retreat be of any substantial benefit to me or will my estimated slower pace make it so that I can't take use some of what I paid for?

Speaking of race retreat, I'm looking for honest feedback about what's included with race retreat and whether or not it would conceivably be worth it for a runner in my situation, which I have outlined below.

I'm running Goofy or Dopey. It will also be my first marathon ever after 9 half marathons all at runDisney with 6 of those coming since 2015 and 4 of those 6 coming since 2017. I believe I can finish, but I know it will take a lot of hard work and a continued commitment to training.

Now for my estimated corral placement. My fastest race in the last 2 years is the 2017 Star Wars Light Side at Disneyland where I finished in 3:06. Let's assume that will be the time I use for corral placement. Based on that time, I'm basically hoping for not the last corral, but if that's where they place me, I know what I have to do.

1. Best guesses as to what time I would start the marathon are appreciated and I'm figuring I can finish the marathon in anywhere from 6 to 7 hours depending on photo stops, et all which I will skip if the line for the photo could risk being swept.

Would race retreat be of any substantial benefit to me or will my estimated slower pace make it so that I can't take use some of what I paid for?

I've done Race Retreat the last three years - but I've only used the tent once, and that was 2016 Marathon. I dropped my bag there, grabbed a PowerAde and then went to the corrals. After the race, I went to pick up my gear, change my shoes and grab a cold beverage. That was it.

The last two years, I've only bought it for one race and just used it for early access to the Expo because I'm REAL impatient and don't like waiting in lines. It enabled me to get in and out with my bibs and shirts, and also grab whatever merch my friends and I wanted in a more relaxing atmosphere. I'm doing Goofy in 2019, so I probably won't even bother with Race Retreat as I can wait to go get my bibs on Friday and I doubt that the Goofy merchandise will sell as quickly as Dopey stuff.

As far as the tent goes, it's nice. There are characters, and food if that's your kind of thing. I prefer to sit in the parking lot and drink beer with my friends, so that's been generally why I skip the tent.

Just a guesstimate, but I would imagine you'd be starting the half and full closer to 6:30. They kick everyone out of the tent around 5:15 a.m., and reopen it for Platinum ChEAR Squad once the races start.

I think the tent is open until 1 p.m. or so, but the food offerings aren't anything I remember being too exciting - kinda brunch stuff, pastries, wraps, fruit.

Anyway - the only value in Race Retreat TO ME is early access to the Expo for doing Dopey. The Expo lines for regular entry (both bib pickup and merch) have been absolutely ridiculous on Wednesday the past two years and ain't nobody got time for that.

I have never used the retreat, but the past two years ended up being in the 30s and I ended up sitting for almost two hours in the cold. I found it miserable enough that be able to have that time to sit in a chair in tent and relax instead of shivering for two hours would be worth the ridiculous price. Running in the cold is nice, sitting for hours in the cold before a marathon...not so nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter