• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

As my first “cold” rundisney race I completely underestimated the temps. I had a trash bag, took it off too early and froze the first 5 miles. Ran like a white walker. The next day I had gloves and a throw away blanket that I couldn’t throw away until mile 3. After that it’s all about the layers. They sell good stuff for cyclists we can steal and use. I barely took off my wool leggining at like mile 16.

Next year I’m going to definitely not play around with the throw away jacket

Although my marathon goals for this fall are very uncertain right now, my goals for marathon weekend are set!

1. Help @mateojr cross that 10K finish line!! Please shout out words of encouragement to a tiny running Stitch if you see him on the course!
2. Enjoy and appreciate this time with him, because while my older kids continue to love Disney as adults, that little kid time is amazing - and it's short!

My only goal for the marathon is to finish and maybe not have any meltdowns from being hangry... Since it will be our last trip for a while, my goals for the vacation portion are to have fun, act like a kid (when appropriate), wear dumb t-shirts, and hit my favorite spots.

Love the "wear dumb t-shirts!" I should add "wear silly shirts and bows in my hair" because can't really do that anywhere else. Well, could but don't.

SAFD:
1) Arrive at the start line healthy. For the past two marathons because illness that swept through my family, I arrived at the start while still recovering. I am also nervous because I just started my training because of an injury that sidelined me for two months. Even now, it will take a month before I am back to running like I was.
2) Hoping to submit a better proof of time, but not sure I will make the deadline because I just started training again and not sure I want to risk reinjury just to get a better corral.
3) Want to find that balance of going to the parks, but not arriving at the start worn out. I am thinking that walking on my off days might help prevent that.
4) Went solo and looking forward to going with my family this year, so again finding that balance
5) A better time might be nice, but I might be happy with just finishing this year.

Hello everyone! So before I say my goals for the MW ( Marathon Weekend ) I want to say that i'm sorry that I was absent from the DIS board for so long. Anyway here are my goals!
Make it across the 10k finish line in under an hour ( My record for a 5k is about 27 minutes)
Going to the ( new to me ) Toy Story Land with @pixarmom
Swimming in the pool
Eating at San Angel Inn
Just eating at Epcot in general!
Eating at Be Our Guest, and more!
And just have fun in general!

Tell me what you think of my goals and maybe make more suggestions for my goals!

I wish @DopeyBadger was coming BTW he is giving me my training plan!

Hello everyone! So before I say my goals for the MW ( Marathon Weekend ) I want to say that i'm sorry that I was absent from the DIS board for so long. Anyway here are my goals!
Make it across the 10k finish line in under an hour ( My record for a 5k is about 27 minutes)
Swimming in the pool
Eating at San Angel Inn

Tell me what you think of my goals and maybe make more suggestions for my goals!

I think those are great goals! I'm looking forward to seeing Toy Story Land too!
With @DopeyBadger's training plan, I am sure you will finish the 10K in under an hour.

While I'm not participating in Marathon Weekend in 2019, I still have some goals.

1) To coach as many athletes that will give me the honor through Marathon Weekend.
2) To live vicariously through all of you and watch you all accomplish all of the goals you've laid out for yourself!

Swimming in the pool
Eating at San Angel Inn

It's been so long, but welcome back! Stick around a while! Looks like some great goals to me. That sub-60 10k is going down for sure! Just will have to stay patient and trust yourself. But I know you can do it. I'm excited to work in a collaborative effort together on your training plan this fall. Definitely sad I won't be able to join you down there for Marathon Weekend, but I've got Last Call (in December) penciled in. So maybe we'll get to hang out there!

While I'm not participating in Marathon Weekend in 2019, I still have some goals.

1) To coach as many athletes that will give me the honor through Marathon Weekend.
2) To live vicariously through all of you and watch you all accomplish all of the goals you've laid out for yourself!

It's been so long, but welcome back! Stick around a while! Looks like some great goals to me. That sub-60 10k is going down for sure! Just will have to stay patient and trust yourself. But I know you can do it. I'm excited to work in a collaborative effort together on your training plan this fall. Definitely sad I won't be able to join you down there for Marathon Weekend, but I've got Last Call (in December) penciled in. So maybe we'll get to hang out there!

Thats so nice! @pixarmom is running the last call too! Fun fact: For the last two Last Calls, they let me announce the racers at the end of that race! Anyway see ya there! Im excited to work on my training plan!

My Goal:

Really I just have 1 goal in the January marathon. To do whatever I can to help my wife complete the race this year.

It will be my 4th year running it, but it will be my wife's 1st year. She signed up last year (along with 3 others in my family), trained harder than the others, and was very ready to complete her first marathon. But then in some weird act of "randomness", she woke up Tuesday morning of race week with some type of ankle sprain/strain/pain. We really couldn't even figure out when it might've happened. Her last couple runs had gone so well.

She went to PT at least a couple days before we left (flew out on Friday), but I don't think the injury was even old enough to diagnose properly. She had had a stress fracture in the past and I think they thought it could be another one of those. Anyways, she was still planning to toe the line last year as late as Saturday at the expo. The KT people were trying their hardest (3 of them involved) to get her able to try by applying tape in a variety of ways. In the end, we all really knew she wouldn't be able to finish and would likely injure herself further by trying. As we were leaving expo, she finally said the words "I don't think it would be smart to try and run tomorrow". It was the right decision to bow out gracefully, but a hard one to make. At any rate, she was a total team player and cheered the rest of us at 3 different spots (TTC, Poly, and the finish).

So she's been working hard again, but has had a history of getting injured. She runs, does some strength/flexibility exercises, and has a positive outlook again. We just need her to get all the way to the start line this time feeling good. If we can have that happen, I'll do whatever I possibly can to encourage her all the way through the marathon as I'll be with her every step of the way.

I'll be happy to run the Half this year as I missed out on registration for the 10K due to the website being so slow. SO, honestly, my goal is to basically just meet a bunch of you RunDISers at a few of the Marathon Weekend meetups in the hopes one or a few of you crazy pro Dopey runners will convince me to attempt it in 2020. And drink beer with y'all. Lots and lots of beer!
pirate:party:

My Goal:

Really I just have 1 goal in the January marathon. To do whatever I can to help my wife complete the race this year.

It will be my 4th year running it, but it will be my wife's 1st year. She signed up last year (along with 3 others in my family), trained harder than the others, and was very ready to complete her first marathon. But then in some weird act of "randomness", she woke up Tuesday morning of race week with some type of ankle sprain/strain/pain. We really couldn't even figure out when it might've happened. Her last couple runs had gone so well.

She went to PT at least a couple days before we left (flew out on Friday), but I don't think the injury was even old enough to diagnose properly. She had had a stress fracture in the past and I think they thought it could be another one of those. Anyways, she was still planning to toe the line last year as late as Saturday at the expo. The KT people were trying their hardest (3 of them involved) to get her able to try by applying tape in a variety of ways. In the end, we all really knew she wouldn't be able to finish and would likely injure herself further by trying. As we were leaving expo, she finally said the words "I don't think it would be smart to try and run tomorrow". It was the right decision to bow out gracefully, but a hard one to make. At any rate, she was a total team player and cheered the rest of us at 3 different spots (TTC, Poly, and the finish).

So she's been working hard again, but has had a history of getting injured. She runs, does some strength/flexibility exercises, and has a positive outlook again. We just need her to get all the way to the start line this time feeling good. If we can have that happen, I'll do whatever I possibly can to encourage her all the way through the marathon as I'll be with her every step of the way.
Good luck to your wife in staying healthy and crossing the finish line.

I'll be happy to run the Half this year as I missed out on registration for the 10K due to the website being so slow. SO, honestly, my goal is to basically just meet a bunch of you RunDISers at a few of the Marathon Weekend meetups in the hopes one or a few of you crazy pro Dopey runners will convince me to attempt it in 2020. And drink beer with y'all. Lots and lots of beer!
pirate:party:
On running a marathon or Dopey I will say this. For many years I was reasonably certain I would never run a marathon. And then over time that began to change. But in the end, I still needed to decide for myself. The beauty of the runDISers is that they won't actually convince you to attempt a marathon or Dopey. But they will absolutely cheer for you and encourage you in whatever you decide to. And honestly, I found that very empowering. When I voiced my fears, doubts, and concerns about running a marathon, this community supported me and reassured me that it was okay if I decided not to and that no one would think less of me. Ultimately, that helped me determine why I wanted to run a marathon or Dopey independent of any external pressure.

In light of comments from @jennamfeo and @rteetz ... what do you guys think about some sort of running competition/game? Like, you post your planned mileage for the week at the beginning of the week, and anyone who hits 90% of their mileage or more gets something? (And by something I mean a certificate or bragging rights ... or maybe a super cheap plastic medal for the people who have hit their goal the most by marathon weekend.)
Anyone interested in something like that? Would that help motivate some of the people who are struggling?

Yep...

There is just a combination of things right not that are just making me feel like not running.

In light of comments from @jennamfeo and @rteetz ... what do you guys think about some sort of running competition/game? Like, you post your planned mileage for the week at the beginning of the week, and anyone who hits 90% of their mileage or more gets something? (And by something I mean a certificate or bragging rights ... or maybe a super cheap plastic medal for the people who have hit their goal the most by marathon weekend.)
Anyone interested in something like that? Would that help motivate some of the people who are struggling?

Winner gets to choose the panda design for @rteetz? #pandamondium2019 :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter