• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SAFD:
1. Run 0.7 miles on Friday to begin my 30 for thirty goal
2. Turn 30 at the most magical place on earth!
3. Finish my first ever marathon
4. Finish happy, healthy and upright (my goal for anything over 10 miles lol)
5. Prepare well enough to not feel like I have been run over by multiple trucks the following day
6. Complete my 30 for 30 with the Castaway Cay Challenge while on my first Disney cruise!

1) Getting that Goofy medal is probably the number 1 goal which of course means finishing the marathon which will be my first ever. I am running the marathon by myself and I haven't decided if I am going to try to "run" it or just take it easy and try to enjoy the experience. I think with all variables being equal, it will end up being be a combination/balance between the two. I just don’t know what that means yet. But my number 2 goal may impact how I approach the marathon:

If you're going to make one of the two races into a fun run, the marathon is the better choice. There are more character photo opportunities, more chances for rides and drinks along the way, and more to see in general. The half is frankly a fairly boring course, and the only one I ever run for time in the off chance I want to race one of the four marathon weekend races.

SAFD:

1. Finish my first marathon as part of Dopey.
2. Enjoy the runDisney marathon experience. This means stopping for photos even if those are just photos in various places around the parks. Character photo stops to be determined by length of line and whether or not said character has any meaning to me. So for instance, while I may wait 10 minutes max for a character I love, I will not stop for a 2 minute wait for a character that doesn't mean anything to me.
3. Enjoy the parks at whatever pace I can after Dopey. Mostly this means being able to move. I don't care if I move slowly, just that I can move.
4. Take celebratory medal photos in the parks after the race(s) with my favorite characters even if I did get some photos with those same characters during the race(s). And especially if I did not get in race photos with these characters.
5. Be healthy heading into Dopey and staying that way after Dopey.

I am Keto. Do not IF everyday yet. Working up to a 16:8 consistently. Do either of you have any tips for marathon training? I've always "carbed" up for my runs. This is a whole new world for me.

I eat Kind bars on long training runs and during marathons. But I use dopeybadger training plans for marathons and I am slow so my long runs are never over 13ish miles. So I may eat a half a bar before the run and the other half after the first hour of training. Honestly, during the actual marathon I have zero problem consuming carbs. Some keto runners call it "strategic carbs," eating carbs that you will run off during your race. I am not strict keto though so your thoughts on it may be different. :)

SAFD Goals:
Since this will be my first multi race Disney event since the 2010 Goofy and my first Dopey my goals are:
1. Have fun in the 5 & 10k take pictures, just enjoy the day.
2. Help my daughter finish her first ever half marathon
3. Finish the marathon upright and collect my bling.

After helping my mom finish her first marathon in 2014 (she was 69 by the way) I took a break from running. During that time I packed on about 45 extra pounds and was not very healthy. This past seven months in have lost the weight, been running again and have even completed two half marathons. So, I was really apprehensive about taking the Dopey plunge but I figured what better way to keep things rolling then giving myself this huge challenge.

If you're going to make one of the two races into a fun run, the marathon is the better choice. There are more character photo opportunities, more chances for rides and drinks along the way, and more to see in general. The half is frankly a fairly boring course, and the only one I ever run for time in the off chance I want to race one of the four marathon weekend races.
Agreed about the courses, but the half will already be a "fun run" as I will be running with my family and they are not serious runners. We are doing costumes, characters stops, etc. and it will be fun. The marathon will be my first, possibly my only and I will be by myself. My goal is really just to finish but part of me wants to know how fast I can do it if I really run and part of me doesn't care and just wants to cross the finish line.

SAFD:
1. Introduce a close family friend to runDisney for the first time (running the 5k and 10k)
2. Since I'm not doing Goofy or Dopey this time around, my goal is to finish a Disney Marathon under 3:45 for the first time including photo stops
3. Make it past Japan DATW (clockwise direction) after the marathon

Honestly, #3 seems like the most daunting of the list :scared:

Agreed about the courses, but the half will already be a "fun run" as I will be running with my family and they are not runners. We are doing costumes, characters stops, etc. and it will be fun. The marathon will be my first, possibly my only and I will be by myself. My goal is really just to finish but part of me wants to know how fast I can do it if I really run and part of me doesn't care and just wants to cross the finish line.

If you want to know how fast you can run a marathon, doing it at Disney is not an ideal option in the base case. The course has a significant number of turns and tight places and can get fairly congested if you're not in one of the first few corrals. Add in running the half the day before, and unless you've got plenty of experience and training racing on tired legs, it's not likely to be representative of your true potential.

If you want to know how fast you can run a marathon, doing it at Disney is not an ideal option in the base case. The course has a significant number of turns and tight places and can get fairly congested if you're not in one of the first few corrals. Add in running the half the day before, and unless you've got plenty of experience and training racing on tired legs, it's not likely to be representative of your true potential.
True again, but it will most likely be the only one I run. And If I ever run one again, it will also be the Disney marathon and it will most likely not be by myself - meaning my kids and/or wife decide they want to do it. The course is pretty flat and I should be in coral B so the congestion is not really an issue.

I am Keto. Do not IF everyday yet. Working up to a 16:8 consistently. Do either of you have any tips for marathon training? I've always "carbed" up for my runs. This is a whole new world for me.
I’m consistently 16:8... the longest run has been 7 miles and I wasn’t hungry or grumpy at all after my room at 5:30am. Next Saturday is 8... I’ll report back. And I do not carb load the day before, I actually eat low carb the 2 days prior and eat carbs on the long run days.

My only goal for the marathon is to finish and maybe not have any meltdowns from being hangry... Since it will be our last trip for a while, my goals for the vacation portion are to have fun, act like a kid (when appropriate), wear dumb t-shirts, and hit my favorite spots.

My only goal for the marathon is to finish and maybe not have any meltdowns from being hangry... Since it will be our last trip for a while, my goals for the vacation portion are to have fun, act like a kid (when appropriate), wear dumb t-shirts, and hit my favorite spots.
I famously thought that 2017 Dark Side would be my last Disney World trip until after Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opens. Now here I am having ran the 2018 Dark Side races and registered for Dopey.

But seriously, enjoy it. Sometimes those "last" visits for a while turn out to be very special because you don't know when you'll be back and you take the time to appreciate and savor the little moments.

SAFD:

1. Get my wife through the 5k.
2. Have fun!
3. Improve my marathon time from 2017 and finish more comfortably than 2017.
4. Enjoy the parks and more time at the resort!
5. Hope the weather isn't as cold!

Re, No. 5: are you taking requests? If you could set the temp for about 45 at start time, I'd really appreciate it.

True again, but it will most likely be the only one I run. And If I ever run one again, it will also be the Disney marathon and it will most likely not be by myself - meaning my kids and/or wife decide they want to do it. The course is pretty flat and I should be in coral B so the congestion is not really an issue.

After I finished the Disney marathon (my first), I told my wife I was one and done. It wasn't long after before I was signed up for another marathon (outside of Disney) and another ... don't be surprised if the marathon bug bites you! There are tons of great marathon courses out there. At the same time, do what makes you happy when it comes to these races, it's your time and money.

SAFD:

1. Get my wife through the 5k.
2. Have fun!
3. Improve my marathon time from 2017 and finish more comfortably than 2017.
4. Enjoy the parks and more time at the resort!
5. Hope the weather isn't as cold!

Just wait until....let's see..... 12/26. This thread will light up with long range forecast's, what to pack and not pack, etc. More than likely or should I say unfortunately, there will be travel challenges for folks from all over the country with winter weather woes. I prefer the colder weather being from CT as a warm and humid race forecast is a lightning rod for disaster for me [2017]....see what I did there?

After I finished the Disney marathon (my first), I told my wife I was one and done. It wasn't long after before I was signed up for another marathon (outside of Disney) and another ... don't be surprised if the marathon bug bites you! There are tons of great marathon courses out there. At the same time, do what makes you happy when it comes to these races, it's your time and money.
The marathon distance is just not ideal for me. I don’t really want to dedicate the time to train for it properly again after this race. I am a big boy - over 200lbs and turning 50 this year. I know there are people bigger and older than me that do it, but those variables and the training distance has already taken its toll on me as I prepare for January. I believe - barring injury - I will do enough training to be ready but this race is kind of a thing I want to do before I get too old to do it kinda thing. Which is one of the reason I am considering running it for a time but also just want to finish. But if I can come close to 4 hours, it might give me incentive to try another. I work in downtown Hartford, both the Hartford half marathon and full marathon cover a lot of the terrain I run during my runs from work. I’ve done the half marathon. I might consider the full. And like I said previously, if my wife or kids want to do the Disney marathon, I might do that again and run it with them. But I doubt I will run it alone again.

The marathon distance is just not ideal for me. I don’t really want to dedicate the time to train for it properly again after this race. I am a big boy - over 200lbs and turning 50 this year. I know there are people bigger and older than me that do it, but those variables and the training distance has already taken its toll on me as I prepare for January. I believe - barring injury - I will do enough training to be ready but this race is kind of a thing I want to do before I get too old to do it kinda thing. Which is one of the reason I am considering running it for a time but also just want to finish. But if I can come close to 4 hours, it might give me incentive to try another. I work in downtown Hartford, both the Hartford half marathon and full marathon cover a lot of the terrain I run during my runs from work. I’ve done the half marathon. I might consider the full. And like I said previously, if my wife or kids want to do the Disney marathon, I might do that again and run it with them. But I doubt I will run it alone again.

It’s always interesting to read before and after posts, so we’ll be waiting to see how you feel after the marathon in January. It’s amazing how many people enter their first marathon with some variation of the plan that you’ve laid out. It's equally amazing to see how many of those people end up intoxicated by the experience and making immediate plans for their next.

You’re absolutely right that the training takes its toll. I often liken it to a second job. But that hasn’t stopped my bucket list/I wonder if I can first marathon from turning into currently training for my 5th. Enjoy the journey to your first and don’t be surprised if your perfectly rational thoughts and plans around the marathon distance are somehow altered by the finish line!

Agree with @FFigawi. I was in Corral B this year. In addition to running the half the day before (easy pace with my oldest son) the other factor at Disney is the bathroom situation. I was in Corral B early enough to warm up, but the last bathrooms before my corral were a bit back, which meant two on-course bathroom stops that I could avoid in small local races. I encountered a few congested spots in Corral B, sometimes near a pace group.

So I don't usually PR at Disney and when I do, it's only for the full marathon. I'm not entirely sure why, but I have a few ideas. I go into Disney races more relaxed and happy than I would in more typically ideal local race situations. This community and Disney races in general really help promote that! I'm also more motivated to train hard for Disney because it's such an investment of time and money, and because there is just so much joy and hoopla at Disney races that I want to be as prepared as possible to have fun! And thanks to @DopeyBadger, I ran a 3:58 marathon this year at Disney, which was super exciting! So even if not full potential, it can be really wonderful and fulfilling.

In any event, I'm super excited for you as you run your first marathon, and I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts in January!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter