Do you wear compression socks under your running pants if it's cold? For some reason that question wouldn't leave my head at 5:00 am today and now I NEED to know the answer!

Do you wear compression socks under your running pants if it's cold? For some reason that question wouldn't leave my head at 5:00 am today and now I NEED to know the answer!
If they are loose running pants I have worn compression calf sleeves under them in the cold. If I'm wearing tights, then no, as I felt like I was too compressed & my calves were not happy.

I have, since they're long and I want all the added warmth I can get on those really cold runs.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

Marathon weekend kicks off in just over 21 weeks, which means most of us will start official training in the next month (if you haven't started already!). With that in mind, this week's Sundays are for Disney is a paraphrased guest question from @CDKG - What is your training strategy? How many weeks? Run/walk or only running? How many miles are you topping out at for your long run?

Marathon weekend kicks off in just over 21 weeks, which means most of us will start official training in the next month (if you haven't started already!). With that in mind, this week's Sundays are for Disney is a paraphrased guest question from @CDKG - What is your training strategy? How many weeks? Run/walk or only running? How many miles are you topping out at for your long run?

I'm going to answer my husband's plan which is a non-plan. He runs when he can run. He's spending lots of time outdoors lately and is doing some shorter runs with a weighted vest. He'll probably top out around 16 miles for his long run.

My training strategy is Coach @DopeyBadger :)
I'm currently in training for my POT race on September 30th, so the marathon weekend plan will start after that - I think it's going to be 14-15 weeks if I'm doing the math right.
I'm planning to do a mixture of continuous running and run/walk - my race goal is continuous for the 5K/10K and run/walk for the marathon, so I want to be sure to incorporate both into my training.
IIRC, my long run will top out at 3 hours, which should be 14-15 miles, but I do plan to do some walking and/or cross training on long run days to "make up" for the missed running time. The short long run definitely weirds me out a little, but I trust that if I continue to stay active after my longer runs, I can make it to the finish line on race day.

It’s a very busy fall season for me, so I’ll get the easy piece out of the way. I prefer only running, but will use run/walk if I’m injured or sick to keep moving and get through. At some point I’ll probably switch to run/walk permanently to allow me to extend my running life, but I’m not there yet.

Marathon Weekend is a secondary event for me this year, so in terms of strategy, it’s mostly going to be peak and maintain. Right now I’m a little over halfway through an @DopeyBadger which maxes out at 16 miles getting ready for the Chicago Marathon which is my goal race. The plan is kicking my butt with the heat and humidity right now.

After Chicago I am planning to do the Tuna Run, a 200 mile relay, of which I’ll probably end up running 15-20 miles across 3-4 legs at the end of October. From there, it’s on to the Seashore Nature Trail 50k, my first ultra, in mid-December. After that, Marathon Weekend will be next. I’m also considering finding a half to run in November sometime. I wanted to run my 20th half this year and I’m running out of time on that. It wouldn’t be the worst thing to let the Goofy half be #20, though. The only race in this set that I’m worried about a time goal is Chicago, so hopefully I can just bridge my Chicago fitness sand take it easy to avoid injury. Fingers crossed!

My training strategy is Coach @DopeyBadger :)
I'm currently in training for my POT race on September 30th, so the marathon weekend plan will start after that - I think it's going to be 14-15 weeks if I'm doing the math right.
I'm planning to do a mixture of continuous running and run/walk - my race goal is continuous for the 5K/10K and run/walk for the marathon, so I want to be sure to incorporate both into my training.
IIRC, my long run will top out at 3 hours, which should be 14-15 miles, but I do plan to do some walking and/or cross training on long run days to "make up" for the missed running time. The short long run definitely weirds me out a little, but I trust that if I continue to stay active after my longer runs, I can make it to the finish line on race day.

The “short” long run was definitely my biggest mental hurdle with my DB plan, but his approach absolutely worked for me. Trust the training!

The “short” long run was definitely my biggest mental hurdle with my DB plan, but his approach absolutely worked for me. Trust the training!

It's especially weird for me because my other option was a slightly modified Galloway plan ... and Galloway goes all the way up to 26 miles. So it was like night and day. But at the end of the day, I think the 26 miles is way too much for me and enough people have had success with the shorter long runs that I believe that we can make it work.

"Just" doing the 10K and 1/2 so my training doesn't begin in earnest until mid to late October [10/22]. I'll be following a slightly modified Higdon Intermediate 1 half marathon plan and my training will actually start when I'm down in Disney for F&W. My goal between now and then is to strengthen the achilles and incrementally build on my miles ahead of the actual plan beginning. Good luck everyone with your training. Stay healthy, don't over do it and be smart when/if you get that tweak!

I've given up on lurking and can't resist the urge to jump in (especially after enjoying all your tips and question posts from last Sunday!) I've been using a run/walk to train for the Hartford Marathon this October. Training is going well- I've incorporated yoga which is new to my training though in turn I gave up Orange Theory (lost interest) so I've had to add some home strength training in too because my quads are missing OTF on my long runs! Though I've done Goofy, Dopey and a WDW Marathon, Hartford will be my first time 'racing' the distance and I'm looking for a sub 5 hour time. I think I'll be on target for a good buffer under that but I'm still a little nervous to commit to running a marathon for anything other than fun. My long run will peak out at 18 or 20. I've trained to both in past on marathon plans and not sure which I prefer so I've left myself enough time to do 20 if I want. I'm not sure how I'll bridge from that to next year's WDW Marathon but it appears I'll be in good company on this board so maybe I can steal from tricks from all you Chicago-running peeps!

I actually paid for a 20w HRT based plan because I'm prone to pushing myself too much/too fast/too far. I'm in the second week of the 4 week holding pattern and my official training begins on Monday the 27th. Since it's HRT based it's mostly continuous running with walking thrown in to lower the HR. Based upon my pace I'll be topping out between 16 & 18 miles (4hrs).

*I really am impressed with what the slowing down has done for me, as in my body is happy with this training and I'm not in pain.

My somewhat delusional cold weather plan involves compression socks and tights as my only leg warmth. My tights are not particularly strong compression, so I don't get the double compression effect. Comfort-wise I think it's a fine combination, but it doesn't really provide much added warmth for me.

Ill be running just the marathon and following a @DopeyBadger plan. If this years plan follows last, it’ll be 15 weeks of continuous running maxing out at a 13 miles! I had great success at this years marathon and can’t wait to see how next years will go. Can’t thank Billy enough!

I’m am using Higdon again since that worked well for me. Some run/walk. I’ll top off at 20.

I've given up on lurking and can't resist the urge to jump in (especially after enjoying all your tips and question posts from last Sunday!) I've been using a run/walk to train for the Hartford Marathon this October. Training is going well- I've incorporated yoga which is new to my training though in turn I gave up Orange Theory (lost interest) so I've had to add some home strength training in too because my quads are missing OTF on my long runs! Though I've done Goofy, Dopey and a WDW Marathon, Hartford will be my first time 'racing' the distance and I'm looking for a sub 5 hour time. I think I'll be on target for a good buffer under that but I'm still a little nervous to commit to running a marathon for anything other than fun. My long run will peak out at 18 or 20. I've trained to both in past on marathon plans and not sure which I prefer so I've left myself enough time to do 20 if I want. I'm not sure how I'll bridge from that to next year's WDW Marathon but it appears I'll be in good company on this board so maybe I can steal from tricks from all you Chicago-running peeps!

Hartford is my target race as well. This is a return to the distance for me after a 10 year hiatus. I'm using a version of one of my old plans that emphasizes endurance over speed. We'll see how I perform come raceday.

After that I'm in the same boat as @camaker... maintaining conditioning after hitting the peak for the race. Haven't decided exactly what the training plan for that will entail.

It's especially weird for me because my other option was a slightly modified Galloway plan ... and Galloway goes all the way up to 26 miles. So it was like night and day. But at the end of the day, I think the 26 miles is way too much for me and enough people have had success with the shorter long runs that I believe that we can make it work.

I maxed out at 17 miles for my last marathon (first with a DopeyBadger plan) and I almost couldn’t believe how fresh my legs felt before, during and after the race.

What is your training strategy? How many weeks? Run/walk or only running? How many miles are you topping out at for your long run?

As this is my first Marathon (say nothing about Dopey) I am following Galloway's plan and started July 1st. But I plan to top out at 23 miles over the sim weekend during Thanksgiving. My other sim weekend is the weekend is Dec 15/16- I will likely top 18-20 at that point. I will be run-walking 30:30 for the full. Less running for the half maybe 90:30. My goal is to arrive at the finish line with a lot of photos, having ridden Everest, drink in hand and being able to enjoy the parks uninjured!

That being said thanks to @DopeyBadger awesome POT calculations (thank you!) I feel an irrational need to try to bump up a corral to gain what- 5-8 more minutes?? So I signed up for a half next month!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter