I'm totally with you on this. I feel sure a day will come when I'm willing to risk it, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. I wish EE was late in the race, or that RnR or ToT took less time - I'd feel much safer doing a ride later in the race! I'd also be cool with doing something dorky and less likely to get stuck for a long time... TriceraTop Spin might be my go-to, lol!

I saw people on TriceraTop Spin this year. Pretty sure they were Team Shenanigans because I think I remember them yelling down to others that were running.

I did EE my first year, but wasn't feeling it this year. I don't like ToT on pretty much any day so would never do that one, and I've never ridden RnR. I don't think my first try should be during a race...

My only goal going into a Disney race is to have fun and take fun pictures. My husband was in the last corral this past January and said he would never want to be there again because he felt like he couldn't stop for the pictures he wanted to. He'll also be the first to tell you that sickness midway through training led to him being unprepared, so just finishing was also a huge goal. This year, he entered his estimated finish as the first non-POT option, hoping to move up.

I’m envious of all of you who have already figured out your race plans, because I have no idea how I’m going to approach my first Dopey. I’m fairly confident in where I’ll be corralled and that I probably won’t be shooting for any PRs.

Having fun and getting photos and video are my main priorities, but how I go about that is up in the air. I’ll probably run alone, but I’m not opposed to running with people. I’ll do character stops on a case by case basis. I’m down for imbibing during the marathon, but probably won’t do any rides.

I’ve thought about getting a cheap adventure camera and harness to get some footage, but I’ve never tried that and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a costume. Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Anyway, I’m fickle, so I don’t know if I’ll commit to any race approaches until the day of. I’ll just try to make sure I’m appropriately trained for anything.
Nope, this is exactly how I feel as of right now. TBH, the first time I heard about people riding a ride during a race I was like "Y THO"?! But thinking about it more and how it *is* possible (@Sleepless Knight even if bad things can happen...) and how I won't be able to say that I did this during any other race and having that picture on a ride with my bib on, it just kind of excites me. It's like a bonus challenge.
But pacing? Character Photos? Running with Dis people or not? I don't know. I know that I will stop at @Keels 10k booze stand, and if I can get Mike to bring me McDonald's I will stop for that too. Otherwise, no game plan yet.

Nope, this is exactly how I feel as of right now. TBH, the first time I heard about people riding a ride during a race I was like "Y THO"?! But thinking about it more and how it *is* possible (@Sleepless Knight even if bad things can happen...) and how I won't be able to say that I did this during any other race and having that picture on a ride with my bib on, it just kind of excites me. It's like a bonus challenge.
But pacing? Character Photos? Running with Dis people or not? I don't know. I know that I will stop at @Keels 10k booze stand, and if I can get Mike to bring me McDonald's I will stop for that too. Otherwise, no game plan yet.

Ride the rides! Stop for beer in AK at Thirsty River! Grab a brat & beer in Germany! Margarita in Mexico! Where else can you have that much fun during a marathon?

I’m glad someone else is in the same boat. Doing a ride sounds like so much fun, but I’m a worrier, too.

Ride the rides! Stop for beer in AK at Thirsty River! Grab a brat & beer in Germany! Margarita in Mexico! Where else can you have that much fun during a marathon?

Okay, I’m going to need John strategically placed throughout the course holding a YOLO sign.

But will this ruin the future of Marathoning for me? What if I choose to do another Marathon and it's awful because where are my rides and boozes and foods?!?!?

Okay, I’m going to need John strategically placed throughout the course holding a YOLO sign.
:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Can I be completely honest for a minute?
The first time I rode Expedition Everest, I got very sick. Like, almost passed out. I think I know what caused it (it think it was a combination of the cocktail of medications I was on + the lapbar hitting me right in the vagus nerve), but I still get nervous every time I ride that it's gonna happen again (especially at the end when it sometimes stops for a sec before it pulls into the unloading area ... because that's when the lapbar hit me the first time). So theoretically I don't at all have an interest in riding a ride that I don't like much and that might make me sick.
But ... it's one of those big marathon experiences. Do I really want to miss it out on this essential marathon experience?
I know, run my own race, do what I want. But there are so many other things in life that I miss out on, do I really want to miss out on more? I already can't do some of other things people do (mostly the food, but also some of the boozes) to make the marathon extra fun, and here's something I can do - should I be doing it even though I don't know that it's really my #1 must do thing.

Anyway ... I know I'm just being stupid. (But honestly, when am I not? :rotfl2:)

The first time I rode Expedition Everest, I got very sick. Like, almost passed out. I think I know what caused it (it think it was a combination of the cocktail of medications I was on + the lapbar hitting me right in the vagus nerve), but I still get nervous every time I ride that it's gonna happen again (especially at the end when it sometimes stops for a sec before it pulls into the unloading area ... because that's when the lapbar hit me the first time). So theoretically I don't at all have an interest in riding a ride that I don't like much and that might make me sick.
But ... it's one of those big marathon experiences. Do I really want to miss it out on this essential marathon experience?
I know, run my own race, do what I want. But there are so many other things in life that I miss out on, do I really want to miss out on more? I already can't do some of other things people do (mostly the food, but also some of the boozes) to make the marathon extra fun, and here's something I can do - should I be doing it even though I don't know that it's really my #1 must do thing.

Anyway ... I know I'm just being stupid. (But honestly, when am I not? :rotfl2:)

This past marathon was the first time I rode EE during the marathon after 5 Disney marathons. It was great, but it didn't make the marathon exponentially better. I've always had soooo much fun on the marathon even the ones where I didn't ride a ride or buy a drink.. You do you and I guarantee you, you'll have an amazing time. Coaster, beer or not. Those are unique and cool things about the Disney marathon, but they are not essential elements to what makes the race unique and awesome.

But will this ruin the future of Marathoning for me? What if I choose to do another Marathon and it's awful because where are my rides and boozes and foods?!?!?

I really just need to embrace the concept of Disney races are for fun and other races are for performance.

Who has a couch I can lay on so we can sort through these complex issues? I’ll bring beer...

It’s not stupid to keep all that stuff in mind. Do what works best for you.

I’m envious of all of you who have already figured out your race plans, because I have no idea how I’m going to approach my first Dopey. I’m fairly confident in where I’ll be corralled and that I probably won’t be shooting for any PRs.

Having fun and getting photos and video are my main priorities, but how I go about that is up in the air. I’ll probably run alone, but I’m not opposed to running with people. I’ll do character stops on a case by case basis. I’m down for imbibing during the marathon, but probably won’t do any rides.

I’ve thought about getting a cheap adventure camera and harness to get some footage, but I’ve never tried that and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a costume. Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Anyway, I’m fickle, so I don’t know if I’ll commit to any race approaches until the day of. I’ll just try to make sure I’m appropriately trained for anything.
There are a ton of videos online of people who take GoPros on course. I suggest looking at some of those if you want to do that.

I’ve always done characters on a case by case basis.

I think you’ll be fine with Dopey. It’s really not much different than training for a marathon.

Last edited:
Run with me and you’ll be fine! I always track the balloon ladies too so I know where they are. I definitely understand being hesitant on doing rides but this is the only race it’s possible so if you want to do it do it.

This past marathon was the first time I rode EE during the marathon after 5 Disney marathons. It was great, but it didn't make the marathon exponentially better. I've always had soooo much fun on the marathon even the ones where I didn't ride a ride or buy a drink.. You do you and I guarantee you, you'll have an amazing time. Coaster, beer or not. Those are unique and cool things about the Disney marathon, but they are not essential elements to what makes the race unique and awesome.
I agree with this. Everest doesn’t make or break this marathon. It’s just an added bonus.

Run with me and you’ll be fine! I always track the balloon ladies too so I know where they are. I definitely understand being hesitant on doing rides but this is the only race it’s possible so if you want to do it do it.
You're just trying to get some beer while we wait in the EE line! :upsidedow J/K. I have only ever ran a race once with my husband who I eventually ended up ditching because he wanted a picture with Captain Hook and Smee and I wanted a PR (I got it). But I feel like we run the same pace-ish so this could work out since I'll PR the marathon regardless!

@SarahDisney Like I said, the main reason I want to do EE is so I don't have to make a trip to AK later during my trip to do because I really love that coaster. If I thought I wasn't going to get on ToT during the trip, I would want to stop for that one too. But solo trip without my 6 yo? If you need me I will most likely be in line for ToT every single day. Hahaha. So do you, run your race, have your fun! Can't wait to have some fun with you!!!

I think you’ll be fine with Dopey. It’s teally not much different than training for a marathon.

Thanks. Assuming normal health, I’m not too concerned about finishing, more just how to approach the races from a pace, fun, pics, etc. perspective.

Different deal. You run Disney Marathon with rides, booze, food, pics, etc. Then you say 'Wow, I ran a marathon! What if I tried to race a marathon?"

You race another marathon, under train and go out too fast. You don't want or even miss all the extras. Then you say "Wow, what if I ran a marathon and was smart about it?"

You race a smart marathon. You finish in XX:YY. Then you say "Wow, can I get XX - 1?"

Different deal. You run Disney Marathon with rides, booze, food, pics, etc. Then you say 'Wow, I ran a marathon! What if I tried to race a marathon?"

You race another marathon, under train and go out too fast. You don't want or even miss all the extras. Then you say "Wow, what if I ran a marathon and was smart about it?"

You race a smart marathon. You finish in XX:YY. Then you say "Wow, can I get XX - 1?"

Love this!!!
Also, didn't want to get out of bed to swim this morning, so I brought my swim stuff to hit the pool during lunch!

But solo trip without my 6 yo? If you need me I will most likely be in line for ToT every single day. Hahaha. So do you, run your race, have your fun! Can't wait to have some fun with you!!!

So ... what you're saying is that while I'm enjoying the frozen sing along, you'll be riding ToT over and over again. Got it.
And I'm probably gonna skip Everest this trip unless I make it to AK for EMH on Monday. I really don't think theres any ride that I could potentially do during the race that's a must-ride for me. Unless Slinky Dog Dash is an option...

Also - I have a vague recollection of 7DMT being available pre park open for marathoners one year (maybe 2015 since that was the first marathon after it opened). Am I crazy or did that happen? (I dont think they'd do it with slinky because the park will be open when some people go through)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter