• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pretty sure that south Florida is treated as another country where weather is concerned - like the Caribbean.
Ah, but it gets even weirder when you consider that FL itself has different weather zones! Mine, West-Central FL, is just far enough north that we have different weather than South Florida, but is also far enough south to be different than North Florida, and also is affected by the Gulf and Tampa Bay enough to be different even than the Land of Mouse! It's enough to make one's head spin.

I don't care what the weather is, I just want the forecast to stay the same starting at least 10-14 days before the race. I don't care if I have to wear a lot of layers or one layer, I just want to know what the story is far enough in advance to not have to pack everything I own just in case.
I know, I'm asking for too much. This is Florida.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Listen, I'd be happy to have one consistent forecast for the length of a single training run down here!

Regarding the weather I seem to favor conditions that seem to be unpopular. In a ideal world I would like something around 30-35 to start the race, a light north wind and clouds. I also hope the temps dont exceed 50 by the end of the race. Anything over 65 for a long race and it's not going to be a good day for me. I'll take a cold rainy day over 60 and sunny. Above 80 for a marathon and I will strongly consider not running it at all. I run better when its cold. I was angry at the 2016 WDW marathon with the high RH% and 68-70 start temp at 5:30AM. The very next day I think it was 50 ish or something. So close!!!
I think people just don't want a repeat of 2018 where is was so cold. Coming from WI I was wearing gloves every day for the races. I was prepared enough but I would much prefer little bit warmer.

Regarding the weather I seem to favor conditions that seem to be unpopular. In a ideal world I would like something around 30-35 to start the race, a light north wind and clouds. I also hope the temps dont exceed 50 by the end of the race. Anything over 65 for a long race and it's not going to be a good day for me. I'll take a cold rainy day over 60 and sunny. Above 80 for a marathon and I will strongly consider not running it at all. I run better when its cold. I was angry at the 2016 WDW marathon with the high RH% and 68-70 start temp at 5:30AM. The very next day I think it was 50 ish or something. So close!!!

NO! I did not know this was possible in January in Orlando. It was 70 °F and 98% RH for my run today and I was thinking back to 60 °F and a downpour and concluded that was better. However, I fear the <40 °F rain. In general I fear rain almost as much as ice as both result in people slipping around and falling.

Hahaha! I can’t tell you what it will be an hour from now. Yesterday it was not raining in my front yard, but raining in the backyard with a huge swath of blue sky showing.

Those always mess with my mind.

Ha! That's funny! I've run the 2016, 2017 and 2018 WDW marathons and I would take the conditions from 2016 over the other two 100% of the time. Now, I think something about 10 degrees colder than 2016 would be ideal, but better the warmer side than the cooler...

Hahaha! I can’t tell you what it will be an hour from now. Yesterday it was not raining in my front yard, but raining in the backyard with a huge swath of blue sky showing.

We saw that when we were down at WDW last month. It was raining on us at Epcot, but we looked and saw Tower of Terror amidst the clear skies.
Florida weather is weird.

Ha! That's funny! I've run the 2016, 2017 and 2018 WDW marathons and I would take the conditions from 2016 over the other two 100% of the time. Now, I think something about 10 degrees colder than 2016 would be ideal, but better the warmer side than the cooler...
Yikes, 2016 was like 100% humidity though.

As much as I hate cold, I'll take it colder for a marathon as humidity just sucks energy. I mean, I don't want 10 degrees, but this year besides freezing in the corrals it wasn't bad to me.

So, I’m new to this board... I’m a first time RunDisney of any kind. Super excited!! I signed up for the Dopey. It’s been a bucket list item for sure.. I’m kinda unsure about the eating aspect for the whole week.. would love suggestions.... Also do they pass out Mickey Bars at the end of the marathon?? Wishful for sure!!

As much as I hate cold, I'll take it colder for a marathon as humidity just sucks energy. I mean, I don't want 10 degrees, but this year besides freezing in the corrals it wasn't bad to me.
The marathon was probably the best of the four days. The other races were definitely cold. I didn't want to stick around after the 5K I wanted to get it done and get back to the room instead.

I was very jealous of the weather conditions for WDW this year. I was wishing I was there to run it since the weather was good for a marathon lol. I feel like 2016 beat me and I want another try at the course in better conditions so I do not fade by mile 16-17.

So, I’m new to this board... I’m a first time RunDisney of any kind. Super excited!! I signed up for the Dopey. It’s been a bucket list item for sure.. I’m kinda unsure about the eating aspect for the whole week.. would love suggestions.... Also do they pass out Mickey Bars at the end of the marathon?? Wishful for sure!!
No Mickey bars at the end. They give out water, powerade, bananas, and snack boxes which usually have chips, oreos, and applesauce.

2016... I skipped the 5K, but was outside in the later morning hours and it was mighty chilly! I actually enjoyed the rainy 10K; wasn't too hot or too cold, and I love jumping in puddles. I didn't run the half, but remember how thick the fog was when I got up around 7am. The marathon was my first full and the weather was darned-near perfect for me - warm and humid! It really was a mix of all weather that year.

Welcome to the board. You won't find a better place to talk about runDisney than this place as far as I'm concerned. Running talk in general is great here as well and we have an active and supportive community. Join in on our running thread to get yourself fully acclimated to the board!
https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-running-thread-2018.3655354/

It's REALLY long by the way, so just jump right in and don't worry about getting caught up. :D

We ran Dopey this past January and it was an amazing experience. You'll love it. Eating for me during the weekend isn't that much different than any other trip to Disney. I eat all.the.food and pay outrageous prices for it. :D Unless you have particular issues with food and racing, I'm not sure you have to do anything special. I'm not necessarily an advocate for carb-loading before races, so that never really factors in for me. The biggest suggestion with Dopey is be sure you are getting enough rest and time off your feet. It's hard not to want to hit the parks every day and enjoy Disney, but too much time on your feet or late nights watching fireworks will cost you when those 4 early AM wake-ups hit. Glad to have you here.

2014 had every possible weather condition. It was freezing for the 5k, perfect for the 10k, 80+ degrees with 100% humidity for the half and 80 degrees with no humidity for the full. 4 days - 4 different sets of running clothes required.

If we get 2016 weather for the 10K I will be very unhappy. Very very unhappy.
I was just looking through my 2016 photos of the soggy 10k that year. I was afraid I would slip on the boardwalk with it wet.

2016... I skipped the 5K, but was outside in the later morning hours and it was mighty chilly! I actually enjoyed the rainy 10K; wasn't too hot or too cold, and I love jumping in puddles. I didn't run the half, but remember how thick the fog was when I got up around 7am. The marathon was my first full and the weather was darned-near perfect for me - warm and humid! It really was a mix of all weather that year.
Oh man, that fog in the half was thick cause I couldn't even see the ball really at Epcot!

Who has the crystal ball to see into the future for the weather?!?

Wear your MagicBand and you can buy one at the little kiosk outside Electric Umbrella under #BlessedBall and carry it with you across the finish line!

+++++++++++++++++++++

Weather Talk: I loved the weather in 2016 compared to last year and this year. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter