I'll use Higdon's Intermediate II plan. I have three 20-milers in Higdon's plan. This has been successful for me in the past. It's reasonable mileage during the week with the long stuff on the weekends. I've also used Hanson's plan, which earned me a PR, but I'm not in nearly that kind of shape right now and the weekday demands are greater. The key to any of these plans is to follow them. Follow them come rain or shine or snow or sleet or...and they'll work. Trust them. Of course, listen to your body and stay healthy, but do your runs and you'll be awesome on race day. To me, training always goes by surprisingly quickly. You rarely seem prepared enough, but if you follow a good plan, you'll be ready.

I am running the full (this will be my first full after 10 halves) and will be using the Higdon Beginner plan, just because I've never run one before. Also, my goal is just to finish (hey, it's my first one, so of course it will therefore already be a PR as long as I finish!)...

I think people just don't want a repeat of 2018 where is was so cold. Coming from WI I was wearing gloves every day for the races. I was prepared enough but I would much prefer little bit warmer.

So, I did the 5k and 10k last year and I think it was 27 the morning of the 5k. It was about as miserable as miserable gets. 27 in Florida is just different. It feels a lot colder...

Just got back from Disney World a few weeks ago, and that was my first trip since the 2016 marathon. I kept thinking the whole week how much fun the marathon was and I've been debating it since then. So in a fit of madness, I've signed myself up for it in January. Got my reservation at Pop Century and let the countdown begin. Time to get to training again!

Last edited:

2013 - hot as Hades. I think I drank 100 ounces of water during that marathon (I also was running with the remains of the stomach flu). Great weather for park time though.

2018 - chilly but not terrible. Horrible weather for park time - bundled up in two sweatshirts plus a jacket. I know it was in the negatives in PA, but seriously I could have used at least 50s in FL!!

All this cold weather talk has me thinking about having a backup plan to drive my car to Epcot. I can hibernate in there until the last minute.
That's exactly what we did. We live 20 minutes away from WDW but decided to stay on property anyway to sleep in a bit more and take advantage of race transportation. Instead, we ended up driving over from POR every morning and staying in the car until the last possible minute, dropping off our bags and sitting in the middle of the corral to try and keep warm. We also ignored our run/walk alerts for the first two miles to warm up too

All this cold weather talk has me thinking about having a backup plan to drive my car to Epcot. I can hibernate in there until the last minute.

That's exactly what we did. We live 20 minutes away from WDW but decided to stay on property anyway to sleep in a bit more and take advantage of race transportation. Instead, we ended up driving over from POR every morning and staying in the car until the last possible minute, dropping off our bags and sitting in the middle of the corral to try and keep warm. We also ignored our run/walk alerts for the first two miles to warm up too

Same here. I had every intention of meeting up with the group here before the races, but it was just too cold. Stayed in my car, nice and toasty, until the last possible moment.

I cannot get on board with this weather talk. It's stressing me out unnecessarily.

Who uses Tailwind? I can't figure out the logistics. Do I sip it constantly over the one hour? That's a lot more drinking than I'm used to while running! And during the marathon (when I will need more than one serving) how do you make more? I have a bag of Tailwind and have used it once for a 1.5 hour run and I liked it. I can't do chews and gels.

Thanks!

Who uses Tailwind? I can't figure out the logistics. Do I sip it constantly over the one hour? That's a lot more drinking than I'm used to while running! And during the marathon (when I will need more than one serving) how do you make more? I have a bag of Tailwind and have used it once for a 1.5 hour run and I liked it. I can't do chews and gels.
I use Tailwind sometimes... I know that I drink about 12oz in an hour-ish, so I mix one scoop (100 calories) in that 12oz bottle. In cooler weather, I may only need to drink 7-8oz in an hour, so I just mix the Tailwind stronger, using a scoop and a half. I take a sip every 1/2 mile (because I have my app set up to tell me my distance every 1/2 mile - taking a sip when I get the alert just makes it easy), so I'm sipping continuously through a run - but I do that anyway, with or without Tailwind.

Tailwind makes little tubes of 200 calories each that you can bring on a run and mix with water from water stations. I cut them open ahead of time, then fold over the end and close it with a little piece of tape. Relatively easy to open later and I can mix half, then fold over and re-tape to use the rest later.

Why did Paul Simon's "Slip Sliding Away" just pop into my head? Oh yeah.... the water stations! :drinking:

The ones who spread the Powerade powder on the ground as a traction helper weren't very slippery at all :rotfl:

I cannot get on board with this weather talk. It's stressing me out unnecessarily.

Thanks!

Two ways to handle this. One, make a super concentrated bottle or bottles and sip along the way every 20-30 minutes. Two, bring the single serving packs and refill at the water stops when your bottle is empty. Option one takes less time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter