So, with about 86 days to go, this week's Sundays are for Disney is a training check-in. Has everyone started with their training? How is it going? What's been working well for you? What's not working? Who wants to brag? Who needs a bit of motivation?
Just got back from an 8.25 mile run. Training has picked up for me which is good. I have Wine and Dine is just over two weeks!

I don't know what week of training I am in for the Disney half. I have an "A" half marathon on November 4th, so I'm currently in the thick of that training plan.

Training went well all summer, and I PRed at every distance I raced. However, i got sick at the beginning of the month and haven't felt quite right since then.

I did 8 miles today and completed it and felt fine, but my heart rate was sky high the entire time, despite a chilly temperature, which usually keeps it low. I didn't feel it was that high, but I'm not sure what is going on.

I am also still working my way back to normal with only two runs during the week I was sick and three runs this week instead of my usual four.

Hopefully my body figures itself out soon!

SAFD: Ran the Chicago Marathon last weekend, so I’ve forced myself to take this week off to recover. This has been one of my quicker marathon recoveries with no lingering muscle soreness after Tuesday. I’ll start back with short easy runs tomorrow in preparation for the Tuna Run 200 relay next Friday & Saturday. After that I’ll settle back into a normal training rhythm until my next race in mid-December. At this point it’s all about maintaining fitness while making sure nothing breaks between now and Goofy.

@camaker, my plan was to start running tomorrow but the beautiful weekend weather had me out on slow runs yesterday and today. However because the weather was cool I could sleep in. I still can’t seem to wake before 7. I am a normal 5:15 or 5:30. Monday will be fun.

ATQOTD: Tomorrow I'll start week 8 of a 20 week cycle. It is a HR based plan and it is going surprisingly well. The worst weeks are weeks 12-17 so I'll be in the thick of it during the holidays so I'm trying to finish Christmas shopping early.

Training picks back up tomorrow. I had all this week off and I’m easing back into things with short & slow runs. I have my first sessions with a personal trainer starting this week too. I’m excited to get back into some serious weight lifting.

SAFD: My training took a hit and I missed two weeks of running due to an injury. I did get a 6 mile run in yesterday, but I am way behind where I should be. January expectations will most likely not be met. :worried:

SAFD: Just finished week 16 of Dopey Galloway- 8 mile walk yesterday/17 mile run on the treadmill today.
I have never trained this consistency for any of my other races - but have never done a marathon.
Feeling strong but starting to be a bit intimidated by the thought of the 4 day sim weekends coming up.

training going very poorly for me - it looks like I will be walking this marathon. I can't believe how being bed/chair ridden for 2.5 months effectively kills your inner thigh muscles. I've been able to run for a few weeks now (well, slowly jog) but my thigh muscles are still screwd up. Even though the thigh muscles don't seem to be involved in the motion of running, when I try to turn in bed those muscles cause very bad pain when I try to move the hips so I know they are affected by running somehow...sigh. I need the Thigh Master...LOL

training going very poorly for me - it looks like I will be walking this marathon. I can't believe how being bed/chair ridden for 2.5 months effectively kills your inner thigh muscles. I've been able to run for a few weeks now (well, slowly jog) but my thigh muscles are still screwd up. Even though the thigh muscles don't seem to be involved in the motion of running, when I try to turn in bed those muscles cause very bad pain when I try to move the hips so I know they are affected by running somehow...sigh. I need the Thigh Master...LOL

It can be yours for the low low price of $54.99

https://www.amazon.com/Suzanne-Somers-Toning-Featuring-Thighmaster/dp/B0061M549S

You joke, but I am quite serious that I will need one...LOL. but I will just use the Gym thigh station instead.:crutches:
I joke because I remember the commercials.

Growing up, my mother had the thigh master, the ab rocker and I can’t remember the other infomercial equipment that was only 4 payments of 19.99 or whatever.

So at least they are cheaper now!

I just finished week 15 of the Galloway training plan with a 15 mile run today (the longest distance I have ever run)! I had to flip flop a couple of weeks of the training because I didn't think a 17 mile run sounded like a good way to spend a day of my upcoming Disney vacation. We leave Friday! The run today felt really good, which I needed because my motivation for my runs the last 1-2 weeks has not been great and I think today gave me a boost. It was a perfect fall day and I really enjoyed the run. We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge for a week and I am planning on doing my training runs on the trail between there and Fort Wilderness. No better motivation for training for Dopey than running in Disney, right?:mickeyjum

Just finished week 5 of Higdon Novice 1 (I think that I am on the same schedule as @run.minnie.miles ). Did 10 miles on Saturday morning in GLORIOUS 60 degree weather here in Tuscaloosa, then went to go see the Tide play...

I think that the plan is definitely working. My strategy of going out slow for the weekend "long" runs really seems to be paying off. Also, I never thought that I'd figure a 4 or 5 mile run is a "short" run, but I am feeling that way a bit now. One thing I do worry about, is with the longer runs coming up, what I should do about placing water/powerade so that I can hydrate during runs. I really don't want to do 5 3-mile loops around the neighborhood, I'd rather get out about town, but I do want to be able to hydrate accordingly. Anyone have strategies on this?

Week 5 of my Goofy plan completed. I did miss 1 run last week since I was on vacation -- I was at Disney for 5 days and then to North Carolina for a wedding. I was able to run at Disney but could not fit in a run over the weekend due to all the wedding activities.

A couple of notes: I understand why all you Florida folks complain about the humidity. I don't care what the numbers say, the exact same temp+dew point in FL is not the same as it is in CT. I can't believe how much I sweat. Luckily, I brought a pair of sneakers that had over 500 miles on them which I was retiring anyway because there was no way I wanted to bring those soggy things back on the plane with me.

Second, we were at Saratoga Springs and after warming up 5.5 miles Thursday AM, I did the Saratoga Springs Derby Dash Fun Run. Which was a great time. I highly doing the fun runs if you can fit them in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter