• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2020

The cleanliness and maintenance. Considering my job is dependent on the travel and tourism trade, seeing how they keep everything so clean is amazing. The level was driven home the last time I was at Disneyland and we then took a trip to Magic Mountain, rode one coaster and went back to DL. It was pretty shocking how rough shod the park was.

Part of me would like to do some time working for Disney just to go though their training program and pick up what I can from it.
I believe the current version of the Disney Institute offers this training to outside participants. I’ve never been able to find information on it, but I know someone at work who attended a Disney Institute training program about a year ago. I believe it was in Orlando. @rteetz do you know anything about this?

(Of course my memories of the Disney Institute are of Saratoga Springs’ predecessor. I loved that resort! It’s why I bought DVC at Saratoga.)

I believe the current version of the Disney Institute offers this training to outside participants. I’ve never been able to find information on it, but I know someone at work who attended a Disney Institute training program about a year ago. I believe it was in Orlando. @rteetz do you know anything about this?

(Of course my memories of the Disney Institute are of Saratoga Springs’ predecessor. I loved that resort! It’s why I bought DVC at Saratoga.)
Yes there are some things you can still do with the Disney Institute. I’m not sure what they all offer anymore. It’s usually more for businesses and stuff like that now.

I'm glad someone else remembers it! That is where we stayed on my first Disney trip - I was 11! We had such a good time staying there.

For SAFD: I don't have anything specific because I am not as well versed in all things Disney, but I just love how they cover everything. All the little details weaved into the experience. How I can get on the Magical Express and just feel completely at ease.

I'm looking to do my first ever RunDisney (Dopey challenge) event. My friend and I are looking to stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort. Will this resort sell out for the RunDisney week?

Background music and Disney does little details so well. Piped out cookie smells from the bakery, interactive queues, the HM gravestones, the telegraph of Walt’s opening day speech at DL Frontierland railroad station. I like the homages to former attractions, like in the DL Winnie the Pooh where at one point you can turn and see Max, Melvin and Buff from CBJ. And I love the resort theming.

SAFD: There is a little spot just as you get off Pirates at Disneyland in New Orleans Square that is just off the main path, themed beautifully and quiet and peaceful. I absolutely love to go in there and just stand for a minute. Another favorite of mine is the sound of the train whistle when it is going by or when you are waiting to get on and the announcement starts “Your attention please...”

For those who celebrate Easter, Happy Easter and for everyone else I hope you are having a good Sunday!

SAFD:
Not sure if this qualifies as details, but for me two things stand out. First, it is the details of the original attractions from the 1970s and early 80s. I am not sure how to describe the exact details, but it is those details that are part of the aesthetic of that time and therefore my childhood-it instantly takes me back. Maybe it is that sort of 1970s campiness. The other is the details in the hotels. All the little details of the hotels is what made me want to stay there as a kid, but we never could afford it, and now I relish in it when I go now. This is also why I loved PORS. Before I went, I wasn't into the styling of the bayou-type rooms, but ended up loving them because they nailed the details in the theming. I hope I am wrong, but while the new hotels opening up this year look nice, right now they appear to miss a lot of those details.

There are so many details, is hard to pick one favorite!! But the one I usually use for casual Disney fans is the specific color and architecture of the Tower of Terror (which of course has hundreds of other awesome details). What most people do not know is that while the color and neo-Mediterranean architecture of the tower are in line with many California structures from the 1939 Hollywood era, the main reason the imagineers landed on the color and design is that the tower is visible from a specific spot in EPCOT - looking across the World Showcase toward the Morocco pavilion. Thus, the imagineers chose the style and color to blend the tower into the existing Morocco pavilion structures. Alot of people will look right at the tower from EPCOT and think it is just part of Morocco. Here is a pic:

towerofmorroco-e1399146268789.jpg

There are so many details, is hard to pick one favorite!! But the one I usually use for casual Disney fans is the specific color and architecture of the Tower of Terror (which of course has hundreds of other awesome details). What most people do not know is that while the color and neo-Mediterranean architecture of the tower are in line with many California structures from the 1939 Hollywood era, the main reason the imagineers landed on the color and design is that the tower is visible from a specific spot in EPCOT - looking across the World Showcase toward the Morocco pavilion. Thus, the imagineers chose the style and color to blend the tower into the existing Morocco pavilion structures. Alot of people will look right at the tower from EPCOT and think it is just part of Morocco. Here is a pic:

View attachment 396065
Oh my gosh this just happened to me and my husband, sitting in Mexico, during Star Wars race weekend. We were sitting on the patio there, looking across the lake, and he said, "Is... is that Tower of Terror?" And I replied that was ridiculous. It couldn't be that close, they wouldn't put it there right where you could see it so clearly. He insisted it was, because there is no building that looks like that when you are up close in Morocco, and I insisted it wasn't because that building looked too close and too big to be the Tower of Terror. I guess I was wrong but I sure won't tell him that pirate:

Late SAFD....

I was such a fan of Roger Rabbit that I miss the stuff that used to be in the backlot and lament the studios never got the planned rides, but I love the Eddie Valiant and Roger Rabbit crash windows near Hollywood & Vine.

The details at Animal Kingdom Lodge are pretty amazing too! Take the resort tour or the Sanaa tour sometime. They put so much story and culture into that resort!

SAFD: This is really hard! I notice so much while I'm there, but apparently I don't retain it well lol! I have a thing for signs, windows, and doorways: I love how well they all fit their surroundings and the attention to detail to ensure that they do. The dance and music lessons coming through the windows on the side street off Main St. in MK. The cross-pollination of themes: Adventurer's Club in Skipper Canteen, the "FSU!" gopher in Splash, the drinking bird from "Alien" in the Alien scene of GMR (RIP), and so on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter