• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MK Bus wheelchair/ECV at closing

So, there were 6 or 7 scooters. The 7th scooter would have to wait for the 4TH BUS before they could be transported. How many people in line at the time the 7th scooter arrived had to wait for the 4TH BUS before they got to ride?

And how many scooters had 19 people accompany them? Yes, there are occasional people who flaunt the rules. Boarding with 19 is an example. So are people who refuse the bus driver’s command to vacate the seats marked for wheelchairs. Are we shaming the refusers to move as much as the 19 pre boarders?
So what are expecting Disney to do? Have buses that only hold scooters or wheelchairs? Or if there are scooters waiting for the next bus, no one else can board? That no one who showed up after you did should be able get on a bus until you’re able to?

So what are expecting Disney to do? Have buses that only hold scooters or wheelchairs? Or if there are scooters waiting for the next bus, no one else can board? That no one who showed up after you did should be able get on a bus until you’re able to?
Honestly, having a separate line for scooters and wheelchairs makes the most sense and don't ever require them to wait in the standard queue. Sometimes they will get on faster than everyone else and sometimes they won't, but it balances out in the end. But if people are waiting at the bus stop, I think the next bus should arrive before the bus that just loaded can leave, yes this means there needs to be a lot more buses.

Honestly, having a separate line for scooters and wheelchairs makes the most sense and don't ever require them to wait in the standard queue. Sometimes they will get on faster than everyone else and sometimes they won't, but it balances out in the end. But if people are waiting at the bus stop, I think the next bus should arrive before the bus that just loaded can leave, yes this means there needs to be a lot more buses.
And, what, the next bus leaves with the three people that didn't make the previous bus? Or sits there until it gets full?

Shame on them. Was it another guest? I know you would have gladly let them board before you if they wanted to exchange their ability to walk around the park for your need to use a scooter. Most of the drivers and CM are really good, but there is the occasional lemon. Sorry you had one but I’m glad you put the need for him to preboard in terms he could understand.
Was what appeared to be a family group not the driver or CMs. Driver was helping me and at same time helping husband get special needs runner grandson on the bus

And, what, the next bus leaves with the three people that didn't make the previous bus? Or sits there until it gets full?
The point is to get to Disney to run buses more frequently, 200 people waiting and 20 minutes between buses is not reasonable

To force Disney to run more buses, when there is a line of 200 people waiting to board the bus and the buses are coming 20 minutes apart, that is a problem and yes, that happens a lot.
And then that 2nd bus has to wait for a 3rd bus to show up before it can leave? Slowing down the buses and holding up those on the first bus helps how? Every minute that a full bus sits there waiting, is another minute delayed for its return.

You want buses lined up waiting when there is a crowd, head to Universal. Have seen them fill 5+ buses (including double buses) within 10min when a bus stop is busy. Crazy efficient.

This waiting for the bus at close can easily be avoided by hanging back in the parks until they clear out. Buses are quite manageable at that time. It always seems ridiculous after fireworks or at park closing. And if there were a ton of people in line, I'd bite the bullet and order an accessible Minnie Van if I couldn't wait.

And then that 2nd bus has to wait for a 3rd bus to show up before it can leave? Slowing down the buses and holding up those on the first bus helps how? Every minute that a full bus sits there waiting, is another minute delayed for its return.

You want buses lined up waiting when there is a crowd, head to Universal. Have seen them fill 5+ buses (including double buses) within 10min when a bus stop is busy. Crazy efficient.
I’m not sure how Universal does it (aside from the fact that they have very few hotels so it’s logistically less complicated), but from a CM/staffing perspective this would be a nightmare. Think about it this way - driving a bus is a specialized skill. And “surge” demand only happens at limited times of the day. So you are effectively proposing that Disney staff 4x as many bus drivers for an hour or two in the morning and then again at park close. What are these CMs supposed to do the rest of the time? Do they permanently work a split shift (early morning/late night)? How hard would that be for their families? It’s impractical to think that Disney should be running 2 full time shifts/day at 4x the “normal” demand just to satisfy the surge times.

We usually go to the parks early with my daughter who is severely disabled and medically involved and uses a wheelchair ( I have to push her and it is exhausting )usually are the first at the bus stop but we had an experience at AK Jambo house ( and this has happened more than once) in the early morning when the bus driver refused to take us ( he was too lazy to load her) as he said he was in a rush so we had to wait for another bus. People complain about waiting and think wheelchair users are going ahead but don’t forget we are the last to get off the bus and they don’t realize how long we have to wait for accessible ride Vehicles in the parks. Also, my daughter doesn’t have it easy and has endured a lot so what is one little perk !!! Getting on the bus first when we are usually their first anyways!!! And we also have had to wait for the boats as they fill the wheel chair spots with those big strollers when they should make them fold them up !!!

We usually go to the parks early with my daughter who is severely disabled and medically involved and uses a wheelchair ( I have to push her and it is exhausting )usually are the first at the bus stop but we had an experience at AK Jambo house ( and this has happened more than once) in the early morning when the bus driver refused to take us ( he was too lazy to load her) as he said he was in a rush so we had to wait for another bus. People complain about waiting and think wheelchair users are going ahead but don’t forget we are the last to get off the bus and they don’t realize how long we have to wait for accessible ride Vehicles in the parks. Also, my daughter doesn’t have it easy and has endured a lot so what is one little perk !!! Getting on the bus first when we are usually their first anyways!!! And we also have had to wait for the boats as they fill the wheel chair spots with those big strollers when they should make them fold them up !!!
How horrible! I would absolutely have gotten the bus driver’s name and written to Disney explaining what happened. We’ve definitely had our share of grouchy bus drivers but never one so blatantly rude and lazy!! And you’re absolutely correct in how the boat system is. Strollers should have to fold up if there are wheelchair/ECV users waiting to board the boats.

How horrible! I would absolutely have gotten the bus driver’s name and written to Disney explaining what happened. We’ve definitely had our share of grouchy bus drivers but never one so blatantly rude and lazy!! And you’re absolutely correct in how the boat system is. Strollers should have to fold up if there are wheelchair/ECV users waiting to board the boats.

If something like this happens with me, I will find the time to stop and talk to someone in Transportation WHILE I am at Disney World, ideally that same day. (Also, the CMs at the Front Desk at Jambo House are all absolutely amazing, and they would have helped you with that situation for future reference.)

Because none of us have a way of knowing what was going on with that Driver, and why he didn't load y'all that morning, reporting that interaction sooner rather than later might have been very important.

Your recall of the incident will be fresher, and it gives greater incentive for the Transportation folks to have a discussion with that Driver the same day.

Not all Drivers are perfect, but the vast majority of them that I have met and worked with are hard-working, caring individuals, who want every Guest on their bus to have the best possible experience. From time to time we have ridden with a less-than-happy (or less-than-well-trained) Driver, but given the number of bus rides I have taken over the years at WDW, the number is startlingly small. Definitely less than 1% of the Drivers I have ridden with.

Transportation at WDW is not a perfect system; I don't know of anyone who would pretend it is. But overall, they do a good job of moving thousands of people around every day. The safety record is excellent, and everyone (eventually) gets where they are going. If I am taking Disney Transportation (of any kind or combination), I always allow at least 90 minutes to get where I am going on property - and the *only* exception to that is the trip from AKL to AK and back, and even then I will plan for 45 minutes, just in case the buses are full, and we have to wait a round or two.

Not everything at Disney World is "Magical", and not everything can be pixie-dusted, but I think that sometimes we all are guilty of forgetting that, myself included. It can feel extra hurtful to be disappointed at WDW; we often plan so long, and work so hard to get there, and then to have something that leaves a bad taste in your mouth happen just feels so wrong. The best thing you can do in the wake of an incident like that is to report it to the proper folks so that maybe another Guest doesn't have to go through what you did.

If something like this happens with me, I will find the time to stop and talk to someone in Transportation WHILE I am at Disney World, ideally that same day. (Also, the CMs at the Front Desk at Jambo House are all absolutely amazing, and they would have helped you with that situation for future reference.)

Because none of us have a way of knowing what was going on with that Driver, and why he didn't load y'all that morning, reporting that interaction sooner rather than later might have been very important.

Your recall of the incident will be fresher, and it gives greater incentive for the Transportation folks to have a discussion with that Driver the same day.

Not all Drivers are perfect, but the vast majority of them that I have met and worked with are hard-working, caring individuals, who want every Guest on their bus to have the best possible experience. From time to time we have ridden with a less-than-happy (or less-than-well-trained) Driver, but given the number of bus rides I have taken over the years at WDW, the number is startlingly small. Definitely less than 1% of the Drivers I have ridden with.

Transportation at WDW is not a perfect system; I don't know of anyone who would pretend it is. But overall, they do a good job of moving thousands of people around every day. The safety record is excellent, and everyone (eventually) gets where they are going. If I am taking Disney Transportation (of any kind or combination), I always allow at least 90 minutes to get where I am going on property - and the *only* exception to that is the trip from AKL to AK and back, and even then I will plan for 45 minutes, just in case the buses are full, and we have to wait a round or two.

Not everything at Disney World is "Magical", and not everything can be pixie-dusted, but I think that sometimes we all are guilty of forgetting that, myself included. It can feel extra hurtful to be disappointed at WDW; we often plan so long, and work so hard to get there, and then to have something that leaves a bad taste in your mouth happen just feels so wrong. The best thing you can do in the wake of an incident like that is to report it to the proper folks so that maybe another Guest doesn't have to go through what you did.

Agree that when there is a bad situation to discuss with the transportation department. We had a bad experience a number of years and I went to the front desk at WL at soon as we arrived back and chatted with the front desk cast member and his manager who then took all my information to have the transportation department call me (actually twice - that day and the next). Hopefully that driver got the retraining he needed.

Honestly, having a separate line for scooters and wheelchairs makes the most sense and don't ever require them to wait in the standard queue.
This really is the most practical and streamlined way. The only benefit to making people in ECVs struggle through the standard queue is to keep some able-bodied people from getting butthurt. Preventing the occasional instance where someone in a wheelchair gets on with little or no wait while walking people have to wait significantly longer doesn't justify all the rigmarole.

I remember on another forum a few years ago, some able-bodied person suggested segregated buses for the disabled. They literally said, "Wouldn't they be more comfortable with their own kind anyway?" I wish people could hear themselves sometimes.

This really is the most practical and streamlined way. The only benefit to making people in ECVs struggle through the standard queue is to keep some able-bodied people from getting butthurt. Preventing the occasional instance where someone in a wheelchair gets on with little or no wait while walking people have to wait significantly longer doesn't justify all the rigmarole.

I remember on another forum a few years ago, some able-bodied person suggested segregated buses for the disabled. They literally said, "Wouldn't they be more comfortable with their own kind anyway?" I wish people could hear themselves sometimes.
Yes, but busses also need to arrive .ore frequently than they do now do this to work. I mean when there is a long line and the buses are only coming every 20 to 30 minutes you will have people upset no matter what. There was a time when buses would come more frequently, especially when busy.

Bus queues are long -- particularly so at park closing. Even if/when more buses are in service at that time they sometimes get backed up by traffic and/or guests loading/unloading. It's not uncommon for 2 buses to arrive in quick succession -- and then it does feel like a long time waiting. Without dedicated roads and/or extra drivers waiting at the depot on-call, I honestly don't think they can do a whole lot about it. Buying additional buses and having drivers on-call will add to the overhead costs that everyone complains about; I'm more than certain that WDW has plenty of statistics which helps them determine how many are needed.

At park closing with thousands of people exiting towards the buses, it's simply unrealistic to think there won't be waits. There isn't a perfect solution to move folks through that quickly. Others have suggested, and what my own family does on the rare occasions we are in the parks that late, is to hang back while letting the crowds disperse. Grab a snack, do a little shopping/browsing, etc. Everyone is tired and everyone wants to get back to their resort; everyone needs to pack their patience or plan different transportation.

The queue for value resorts does get long. Very long. If every individual on a mobility device was as aware and considerate as some on this thread, it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately there are too many parties who feel 8-10-14 people need to stay with the mobility device. Due to that, yes WDW now makes mobility devices go through the queue to the pull-out point. Once they hit the pull-out point they most often will be on the next bus.

The bigger problem that I see is the buses TO the parks, particularly at resorts with multiple bus stops or sharing buses. It is inappropriate that so many with mobility devices report getting left behind. I don't have the solution there, either, but agree that needs a solution moreso than the park close situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter