Mother of the groom dress advice

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by disykat, Nov 4, 2018.

1. TipsyTraveler

TipsyTraveler DIS Veteran

:rotfl2:

2. disykat

disykat DIS Veteran

I do like rose gold. One of the dresses I'm looking at on line is described as "topaz" but appears to be rose gold. So hard to tell on line.

Unfortunately liking a color and having it like you is not the same thing!

RUDisney and ronandannette like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Wishing on a star

Wishing on a star DIS Veteran

AMBER,
    Totally understand!!! :goodvibes

5. MomOTwins

MomOTwins The Mommy Fairy

Mine too--her dress was an identical shade of ivory as mine. You can see how it was the same color in all the pictures. *sigh* In fairness, I did ask her if she could please choose anything except navy blue (my mother's dress) because my mom felt strongly about not having the same color as the mother of the groom, so I guess she took me at my word! I just assumed it was a known thing not to wear white at a wedding.

6. Hikergirl

Hikergirl DIS Veteran

At least she didn't look awful :rotfl:

7. MaryLovesPoohBear

MaryLovesPoohBear DIS Veteran

Pretty much.

I couldn't say now, because I haven't seen her in years, but it was always obvious what she thought about me.

TipsyTraveler likes this.
  8. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl DIS Veteran

Luck was on our side when my mother became a MOB (no sons); she owned a special occasion fabric store and had a plethora of reputable seamstresses and dressmakers to work with. She and "Auntie" (good friend not related by blood) picked the colours and fabrics for the entire wedding party including the MOG and presented them to elder sister for her approval. The MOG lived in another country where my mother's reputation preceded her and was happy to allow the dress design, making, and colour to be decided by the MOB to be. I think she changed one aspect of the design and that was it. In fact years later she was buried in that dress.
    That was the only wedding my mother was able to plan as I was already married and had opted for a civil service as did my younger sister.

9. ols386

ols386 I want to live at Disney World!!

My adult dd uses them, except her dresses aren’t for weddings. She’s had very good luck with them.

10. HopperFan

HopperFan "It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."

My DD is at an age where she goes to lots of weddings and events ... doesn't want to repeat dresses, especially if like crowds .... and she doesn't have the budget to buy a bunch so she also rents the formal dresses for those.

ols386 likes this.
  11. ronandannette

ronandannette I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!

For sure. Those tones are so pretty on others but they'd look hideous on me. :scared:

12. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Truvy: What are your colors, Shelby?

Shelby: My colors are "blush" and "bashful."

M'Lynn: Her colors are "pink" and pink."

Shelby: My colors are "blush" and "bashful" Mama!

M'Lynn: How precious is this weddin' gonna get, I ask you? (Source:imdb.com)

13. mckennarose

mckennarose Always planning the next trip.....

I do like Steel Magnolias! :D

14. kimblebee

kimblebee now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

The last wedding I went to I wore black.. it was my own.

It was my second marriage and very casual so it was perfect.

15. tarheelmjfan

tarheelmjfan Proud Redhead

Threads like this kind of depress me. I have one son. Threads like this really make me dread him getting married. I'm great with DH & his future wife planning their wedding & going along with their wishes. Tell me what you want & we'll pay & show up. I don't need to be involved with the planning, unless she wants me to be. That said, it makes me sad that the MOG appears to be a second class citizen compared to the MOB, by many posting here. When DH & I got married, I never felt my mother was more important than his, even though my MIL isn't an easy person to get along with. It was also his wedding. His mother was as important as mine.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    dish rag, galaxygirl76, Searc and 2 others like this.
  16. Disney  Doll

Disney Doll DIS Security Matron

Deeper pink....like a magenta color.

marthachick likes this.
  17. msmayor

msmayor Finding my beach...

I hope your experience is different. My daughter just got married two weeks ago and I can tell you that in ALL of our minds, the wedding planning was a 'family affair. Even though my husband and I covered most of the large expenses, we included the groom's parents in a lot of decisions. We each played to our strengths and created a great day for our children.

As for the dresses, my daughter the bride was so easygoing on this. Her only request was that they not be white. She planned a shopping day for the three of us, and the MOG found her dress first. It was beautiful and perfect and she loved it. Took me a little longer, but the point here is that the bride allowed us to find the dress (and color) that made us each feel beautiful and special.

tarheelmjfan likes this.
  18. NYCgrrl

NYCgrrl DIS Veteran

Sheesh! So much drama and power plays involved in many weddings.
    Glad I missed it....;).

19. RUDisney

RUDisney <font color=teal>Mom to Ivan & Kristina<br><font c

I think my MIL thought it was her wedding and that's why she wore white. She was divorced and we were not allowed to invite FIL. She had to be "represented" by one of her brothers. He's in all of our family wedding photos. It's weird because she was one of 9 siblings and only this brother and my DH's godfather was in the pictures. Everyone who didn't know him asked if he was my FIL.

I'm just glad I can laugh about it now and we get along. I take food to her now when I make a lot and I stop by to visit her. That would never have happened early on in our marriage.

20. cabanafrau

cabanafrau DIS Veteran

I am the mom of two daughters, no sons. I absolutely don't feel that way whatsoever. I did everything I could to minimize being the bride at my own wedding, I sure as heck would not relish being in the spotlight at anyone else's. I'm hopeful my daughters have inherited my serious lack of interest in the whole wedding hoopla -- and hopeful their prospective grooms and families will be quite content keeping things intimate and simple as well.

mumto3girls likes this.
  21. disykat

disykat DIS Veteran

I may have found a dress option. It is taupe lace, but with a black underlay. It almost looks mauve, so the pink tones work well for me. It was a bit snug/short, so I ordered it in a W size and am hoping for good results. Crossing my fingers!