Natural Products Expo Cancelled

I wouldn't blame age. It's more to do with exposure to such things. My mom is 69 as of November last year and knows the term simply because of being around me. But I've known people younger than me (34) that don't know it. They just weren't exposed to it.

NFC stands for Near Field Communication. It's just the technology that things like Apple Pay and Google Pay use. Samsung Pay doesn't even require a location to take NFC payments since it uses the mag strip reader.

I use the term NFC payments in general because more payment apps are adding the feature (PayPal is a more relatively recent addition). I don't want to leave any of them out :). So please forgive me. I often forget not all people know that's the name of the technology behind their contactless payments.
So I have learned something new today... Thank you!
NFC - Near Field Communication

Age wise I'm right there with your mom.
I'll be at DLR next week with two of my grandkids. They're in their 20's, I'll see if they can teach me about NFC.

Until then I have my "Cootie Killer" hand wipes and sanitizers packed.

Geemo

We're taking advantage of the fire sale prices. Autoslash has Anaheim Hilton (the hotel closest to the convention center) down to ~$85/night pre-tax, that hotel was previously in the $300's/night IIRC.

I had booked out in Irvine for $100/night, that hotel is going for $57/night on HotelTonight.

It's absolute madness, people are freaked out. At least I saved some $$$, but dang.

I know the technology, never heard the term. My daughter did (which I would hope since her Master's is in tech.) I'm usually pretty up on technology.

I didn't say you didn't know the technology. I said, specifically, the term :). Please reread what you quoted again as I said "the term". Not "the technology".

And later in the same message you quoted from I said "the name of the technology". I never once said you didn't know the technology. I was trying to be kind and say it's not the fault of your age for not knowing the name of something. Sometimes we just aren't exposed to everything.

So I have learned something new today... Thank you!
NFC - Near Field Communication

Age wise I'm right there with your mom.
I'll be at DLR next week with two of my grandkids. They're in their 20's, I'll see if they can teach me about NFC.

Until then I have my "Cootie Killer" hand wipes and sanitizers packed.

Geemo

My mom outdid my early 20s friends that came with us NYE 2018 :rotfl:. She is amazingly healthy for her age. No one believes how old she is! Not even her own cousin that my mom babysat.

I have Invisalign so I'm constantly washing my hands (and getting strange looks brushing my teeth in public bathrooms)! So much hand sanitizer just so I can take them out to eat :sad:. And then washing again so I can brush to put them back in. And then washing again after putting them back in.

I wonder what sort of looks I'm going to get now with this health concern going around...

We are here now. Low crowds. It’s amazing. Hopefully we don’t get sick! We are washing hands and using sanitizer like crazy and I keep wiping my phone with bleach wipes

Yeeks. You don't need bleach unless you're trying to kill C. diff. Alcohol or benzalkonium wipes will kill sufficiently viruses and bacteria. Plus you might end up bleaching your clothes/items if you don't inactivate it after!

I didn't say you didn't know the technology. I said, specifically, the term :). Please reread what you quoted again as I said "the term". Not "the technology".
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you did. I asked my daughter and her words were "It's what makes your Apple Pay work at Subway..."

They’re the wipes from Costco. So the proper term is disinfectant wipes. Tough crowd on these boards, sometimes. 🤦‍♀️

lol, well you said bleach, so i assumed bleach... didn't want you having spotted white pants (though that could be a new fashion trend, hmmmm)

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you did. I asked my daughter and her words were "It's what makes your Apple Pay work at Subway..."

Hah! I like that response from her. It's so simple, but really sums it up. My apologies I misunderstood. I just didn't want you to think I was trying to insult you.

Also I'm so glad to see so many people using payments like this. Besides the current obvious that it minimizes a contamination point, it's also so much more secure. Plus I love being able to more easily track payments I make in one app without having to open my different banking apps (or wait for a charge to post to even see it).

I'm also glad in the States we don't limit charge amounts for NFC payments (at least not that I've run into at the merchant level). Ran into that in the UK. I couldn't do a charge over £15 at most stores, but I've done over $800 using NFC payments (Costco electronics purchase). Hated having to dig out my physical credit card.

I do understand the timelines. And we could compare it more accurately to SARS (they are now renaming COVID-19 SARS-CoV-2) and MERS. And I stand by the the fact we need to stop panicking and practice good hygiene. For those of us with lung issues, take the medications you are prescribed. (This is aimed at me since I have a med I keep forgetting to use.)

I used H1N1 since many keep comparing it to the flu and pointing out that the flu kills so many people every year. But when you look at a new strain of the flu, one they could track the spread of, and compare it paints a slightly different picture. SARS and MERS would be comparisons, except COVID-19 is more communicable than they are. There were about 10,000 cases of SARS and MERS combined for those epidemics. COVID-19 is a different entity.

I agree we shouldn't panic. And good hygiene is always important. Not just for this, but for so many other viral and bacterial diseases. But we also have to stop downplaying this. We're actively trying to contain it as a country and our number of cases has doubled in the last 24 hours. And we know that number will grow much higher before it's all said and done.

So we don't think Disneyland will close right? I need to renew my pass and I don't want to renew and then the place closes lol
Lol! I literally just went through this thought process as I renewed my AP today. If they have to close they better put a freeze on our APs!
It will have to get a lot worse before that happens. But it is definitely possible things will get a lot worse. :confused3

If they need to close DLR at some point, then I suspect APs and theme parks will be the last thing on many of our minds...

Wow that is crazy they cancelled it. We just got back this morning from staying at the Hilton attached to the convention center. The signs were all still up as of last night and there were still a ton of people there. Tents set up outside too. We had no idea. We only saw a handful of people wearing masks and most were wearing the masks that don't help with this particular virus. My daughter did come home with strep throat though.

Samsung Pay doesn't even require a location to take NFC payments since it uses the mag strip reader.
Since we’re getting all technical, I should point out that Samsung’s system isn’t NFC. As you point out, they are using a different tech to generate the magnetic signal to send the card information to the magnetic strip reader of normal machines.

So glad you went!

It was amazing. I’ve never been on one of these days where the rides are virtually walk on, with immediate FP return times. The longest line we waited in was Smuggler’s Run- 30 minutes. We had the little one with us, so we couldn’t ride the 40” plus rides, although my big girl rode BTMRR by herself three times! It was just great.

Hopefully we don’t get sick. I almost decided not to go, but then yesterday we unexpectedly ended up at the pediatrician and then the children’s orthopedic clinic, which is in the children’s hospital, so I figured what the heck. What’s germs at Disneyland after spending two hours at a children’s hospital? 🤢 I didn’t see anyone wearing masks and only one guy sneezed near us and I swear, every person in line wanted to kill him. 🤣 If we do catch something, praying it’s strep- antibiotics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter