NBA at Walt Disney World

I’m extremely surprised this hasn’t been rethought between the sides. Seems like a recipe for disaster to have family now join the bubble. They’re going to want to go to the parks, which will break the bubble. NHL teams could be in their bubble just as long as NBA and they’re not allowing families. Plus, I just saw an article on ESPN that GMs are worried about the “casual acquaintance” clause in the agreement and how it could lead to intrateam arguments and inter team arguments as well. Just seems like so much can go wrong once guests are allowed in.

They aren't allowed to have "casual acquaintances", only family members or people with whom they have long-time, established, personal relationships. Guests will also not be allowed to visit the parks. All guests will have to undergo quarantine before entering the bubble.

https://apnews.com/51be17ed6785032a152f70b60438b987

They aren't allowed to have "casual acquaintances", only family members or people with whom they have long-time, established, personal relationships. Guests will also not be allowed to visit the parks. All guests will have to undergo quarantine before entering the bubble.

https://apnews.com/51be17ed6785032a152f70b60438b987
Correct, but some GMs are worried about having to enforce the ban on causal friends and worried about how other teams are going to enforce it which could lead to disagreements among players. What I’m worried is will the guests be kept under lock and key all day long? What’s going to stop someone from leaving and heading to a park, or going to a store, etc. In theory it looks like a nice plan to have family there for the players, but it’s the biggest issue on the horizon for the bubble.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-relationship-non-family-members-enter-bubble

[QUOTEI see. I was confused because the NBA standings site indicated that Portland hadn't clinched and still hasn't. https://www.google.com/search?q=nba...F-8#sie=lg;/g/11h0yj414v;3;/m/05jvx;st;fp;1;; Vyt Either way- just hoping the Yacht Club clears out. ][/QUOTE]

Sorry, that was what TNT stated last night after Portand's win. They did move up into the 8th seed though and they and the 3 teams 1/2 game behind them all have 1 game left. So because the 9th team (whoever that may be) is within 4 games of the 8th team (currently Portland) there will be a play in round starting Sat and possibly Sun if the 9th seed wins game 1. And I did read somewhere (may have been posted here) that as a team is eliminated they will be leaving the bubble right after their last game. I have no inside info on when a team will be moved when they do advance but I'd assume it would also be right after the last game (sat or sun) before the playoff rounds start that Monday.

regards

Correct, but some GMs are worried about having to enforce the ban on causal friends and worried about how other teams are going to enforce it which could lead to disagreements among players. What I’m worried is will the guests be kept under lock and key all day long? What’s going to stop someone from leaving and heading to a park, or going to a store, etc. In theory it looks like a nice plan to have family there for the players, but it’s the biggest issue on the horizon for the bubble.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-relationship-non-family-members-enter-bubble

Have you been watching any of the vlogs posted by the players? They don't have any freedom of movement outside of the transportation that is provided to them within the bubble to sanctioned activities and they have to get special permission to leave (and then follow strict protocols to return). They have already said they will have activities and entertainment programming for the guests and the children who enter the bubble (they already have swimming, lawn games, fishing, golfing, etc. set up and will, I assume, come up with other programming for the children) No one in the bubble is going to be able to sneak in and out and, if they do, they will get kicked out or have to re-quarantine.

I don't see anywhere in that article you posted a quote from a GM saying they are worried about having to enforce the ban. These were terms negotiated and agreed upon by the NBA and NBPA which means the players are onboard with it and non-family guests will be vetted and approved prior to acceptance as guests in the bubble. I don't know, they seem to have gotten it right so far and have a ton of medical professionals helping to navigate the process. I don't think they would do it if they thought they were introducing a lot of risk.

Makes sense as they want to play in MLB sized stadiums.

Yeah, but wants vs needs may come into play...they are still so early in the planning phase b/c they just started thinking of this issue this week:)...

I can see TX , but I can't see either CA or IL - too many variables baseball can't control at both locations...

And it's funny NY has ALREADY fallen out of the top 3 in the running from yesterday, to be replaced by TX, which wasn't there before...

Yeah, but wants vs needs may come into play...they are still so early in the planning phase b/c they just started thinking of this issue this week:)...

I can see TX , but I can't see either CA or IL - too many variables baseball can't control at both locations...

Chicago, no. But California is rains so far and in between in the fall that its unlikely to impact any games.

Texas makes the most sense. Brand new stadium to showcase, and both stadiums in the state have retractable roofs.

The reason Florida isnt in the running is because Tropicana Field is notoriously the worst stadium in baseball and they seem to want 2 stadiums in 1 state. So Miami misses out

I wonder if Disney could partner with someone to replicate the bubble concept near Disneyland...The hotel options are definitely more limiting than in Florida though, but their recipe For this and the magic band usage definitely has potential for quickly establishing protocols that work.

I wonder if Disney could partner with someone to replicate the bubble concept near Disneyland...The hotel options are definitely more limiting than in Florida though, but their recipe For this and the magic band usage definitely has potential for quickly establishing protocols that work.

There’s nothing close by to fit that many courts outside of the convention center. They dont want to have to bus players too far, thats why the WDW bubble was perfect. WWoS being 5-10 minutes away from the resorts they’re using was probably a key component to using WDW.

And the separate buildings at the WDW resorts help to keep the guests staying at BCV and GFV away from the players in the adjacent buildings occupied by the players and coaches. You couldnt really keep the players and guests separate at DLR unless you give the players their own hotel.

To my knowledge the only places that work for a bubble are WDW and Las Vegas.

Texas makes the most sense. Brand new stadium to showcase, and both stadiums in the state have retractable roofs.

The reason Florida isnt in the running is because Tropicana Field is notoriously the worst stadium in baseball and they seem to want 2 stadiums in 1 state. So Miami misses out
Off topic but agreed the Trop is the worst place I have ever watched a baseball game.

WDW Pro posted on another board
Disney is currently in talks with the NBA to resume the NBA season / postseason with the players finishing all games at the ESPN complex. Details are being negotiated, and could fall through, but players would likely stay at Caribbean Beach Resort with Cayman, Sea Breeze, and Victory Way closed except to NBA and Disney vehicles. The aim would be to restart the NBA in late May to early June. Again, this could fall through, but it is being worked on and I believe some details have already begun to leak.

I'm surprised they're not looking at a deluxe. Maybe the concern is cleaning (disinfecting) interior corridors daily (or more often)

In hindsight I'd say I did pretty well with my sources breaking that. The players' association negotiated for different bubble location, but otherwise it stayed intact. That's actually pretty remarkable given how much changes day to day behind the scenes in any organization tackling COVID issues.

There’s nothing close by to fit that many courts outside of the convention center. They dont want to have to bus players too far, thats why the WDW bubble was perfect. WWoS being 5-10 minutes away from the resorts they’re using was probably a key component to using WDW.

And the separate buildings at the WDW resorts help to keep the guests staying at BCV and GFV away from the players in the adjacent buildings occupied by the players and coaches. You couldnt really keep the players and guests separate at DLR unless you give the players their own hotel.

To my knowledge the only places that work for a bubble are WDW and Las Vegas.

Sorry - I was referring to the MLB Playoff bubble that was being discussed!

As for basketball - I totally agree with you!!

In hindsight I'd say I did pretty well with my sources breaking that. The players' association negotiated for different bubble location, but otherwise it stayed intact. That's actually pretty remarkable given how much changes day to day behind the scenes in any organization tackling COVID issues.
Welcome to Disboards.

Sorry - I was referring to the MLB Playoff bubble that was being discussed!

As for basketball - I totally agree with you!!

Baseball would be totally doable. Right down the street from Angels stadium, they could use one of the towers at Disneyland Hotel. I think they’re thinking more of Petco and Dodger stadium, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Angel stadium is in the mix

Baseball would be totally doable. Right down the street from Angels stadium, they could use one of the towers at Disneyland Hotel. I think they’re thinking more of Petco and Dodger stadium, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Angel stadium is in the mix

Unless they do the AL bubble in TX and the NL bubble in CA they'd have to use Angels stadium. Or take away any advantage of playing more gamea in the stadium of your own league and swap them and make AL play in NL and vice versa. Bad enough no home field advantage, not because of fans but just the familiarity but to be stuck in parks you maybe play in every 3 or 4 years isn't good either. To me a bubble for baseball, while it makes sense, is trickier because you don't want to give advantage, esp if one of the team's in the playoffs gets to play at home.

NBA being neutral and that courts are basically the same make it much easier to do this vs knowing every way the ball will bounce off the outfield wall etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter