NBA at Walt Disney World

All resorts were open for booking before any of this started. All guests who were booked in all closed resorts, non-NBA and NBA, were moved. My point is, there is zero proof YC, GF and CSR would be open right this very moment to regular guests if the NBA weren't there. There seems to be a lot of bellyaching going on that all guests were inconvenienced solely because the NBA is there and I just don't see it. There were plenty of guests who had to be moved from non-NBA resorts as well. In fact, it's very possible YC, GF and CSR will open to regular guests post-NBA BECAUSE the NBA was there as those resorts are now staffed, open and ready to go. If I recall a post from yulilin in another thread, she explained these resorts are staying open because the CMs are already there and working. If the NBA had never contracted the space, I think it's possible those resorts would not have opened and those CM's would still be furloughed. I think contracting with the NBA, bringing CM's back from furlough and then re-opening those resorts to regular guests is really a win-win. Again, I would hope people would open their minds a little here and think about all of the CMs who were able to go back to work because the NBA came back and how much money Disney was able to recoup not only from the rental of the WDW facilities but the ad $$ for ESPN and ABC. Maybe see the forest for the trees a little bit.

I'm not arguing the NBA shouldn't have come. I was all for it.

I think the bellyaching is if they do it again. It's a long-term commitment to tie up all those resorts for most of next year too when literally ANYTHING can happen with this virus.

I think the bellyaching is if they do it again. It's a long-term commitment to tie up all those resorts for most of next year too when literally ANYTHING can happen with this virus.

To me this seems like the same reason why they WOULD want to do this for next season too....

I don’t know where to look - but are there players complaining about being in the bubble still? I was thinking that they all seemed to be doing fine...

A full-season, 30-team, WDW bubble isn't even being discussed for the 2020-2021 season. Ideally, they are hoping to be back home in their local markets with fans at some capacity (and are considering delaying the season start into 2021) with a back-up idea of doing regional "bubble" sites with pods of teams rotating in and out of those bubbles if things don't improve much in terms of covid.

I think most of the bellyaching is coming from people who are speculating and assuming things and don't take the time to actually read up on what is happening with the NBA and NBPA. If Orlando remains one of the "bubble" sites, it would be a much smaller version of what we are seeing now. My assumption is they might take up only one convention hotel if they go the regional bubble site route.

Here is a good article regarding what is currently being discussed for the 2020-2021 season:

https://arenadigest.com/2020/08/09/...derway-2020-2021-nba-season-planning-resumes/

I think the uncertainty about the virus makes the bubble more appealing because they could actually have solid plans set for the season since it seems to be working now.

I’m not saying they’ll do it. But they may want to line up a sure thing due to the uncertainty.

I think the uncertainty about the virus makes the bubble more appealing because they could actually have solid plans set for the season since it seems to be working now.

I’m not saying they’ll do it. But they may want to line up a sure thing due to the uncertainty.

Per ESPN, a 30-team, full season in the WDW bubble is not even being discussed right now. With a possible delay of the 2020-2021 start, we may be 6 - 7 months away from the start of the next season. They aren't committing to anything right now.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbareturn29616991/questions-percolating-nba-bubble

Per ESPN, a 30-team, full season in the WDW bubble is not even being discussed right now. With a possible delay of the 2020-2021 start, we may be 6 - 7 months away from the start of the next season. They aren't committing to anything right now.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbareturn29616991/questions-percolating-nba-bubble

Oh, I get that. I was just addressing that the uncertainty could make that option more appealing down the line. Just because it’s not being considered now doesn’t mean it won’t be at some point. If we’ve learned anything this year ... it’s that anything can happen, right?

Off topic of NBA but Guiness World record just gave a record to the MLS for having the single largest location for professional tournament with 750 players, 500 MLS and ESPN staff with 51 matches over 35 days. The tournament ends tomorrow "Go Lions"!

Sorry guys I don't follow NBA.....can someone tell me if the YC is still the resort that has the teams being eliminated by tomorrow? Will they all be leaving YC by tomorrow? How about the status at the GF. Thanks!
That is the plan. The teams will consolidate to Grand Floridian and Gran Destino after this first round of eliminations. Grand Floridian will clear out after the next round. As of now Yacht is scheduled to open to guests 8/24 and Grand Floridian 9/21. Always subject to change.

That is the plan. The teams will consolidate to Grand Floridian and Gran Destino after this first round of eliminations. Grand Floridian will clear out after the next round. As of now Yacht is scheduled to open to guests 8/24 and Grand Floridian 9/21. Always subject to change.

Thank you! Yes, we have reservations at the YC starting on 8/24, so I was trying to keep up with the NBA and if all teams at YC were indeed eliminated.

Thank you! Yes, we have reservations at the YC starting on 8/24, so I was trying to keep up with the NBA and if all teams at YC were indeed eliminated.
Right. I’m not keeping up with the tournament either, but what they’ll do is if a team staying at YC advances to the next round and a team at GF is eliminated, they’ll move the YC team to GF.

Reactions: TJA
Oh, I get that. I was just addressing that the uncertainty could make that option more appealing down the line. Just because it’s not being considered now doesn’t mean it won’t be at some point. If we’ve learned anything this year ... it’s that anything can happen, right?

That's for darn sure!!!! I guess the good news is they seem to have figured out protocols that work so hopefully they can transfer and adjust them to whatever scenario is viable at the start. I know they all want to be back in their home markets and those arenas, employees and fans want them back there as well if possible!

And there we go - seems St Louis was the disaster that's gonna get this ball rolling...Disney is not in the running...yet...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...preliminary-talks-bubble-type-format-playoffs

They wouldn’t need Disney. They’re discussing 3 cities for the WC round, moving to 2 for the divisional round and then the championship series’ and WS would be in 1 city. They’d probably use the new stadium in Texas as the World Series and LCS venue. Miami would probably be a location along with an LA venue and maybe Milwaukee or Arizona

They wouldn’t need Disney. They’re discussing 3 cities for the WC round, moving to 2 for the divisional round and then the championship series’ and WS would be in 1 city. They’d probably use the new stadium in Texas as the World Series and LCS venue. Miami would probably be a location along with an LA venue and maybe Milwaukee or Arizona

Well, of the 3 front-runners, Chicago may fall out thanks to unrest...so they may need a 3rd option...CA may also fall out b/c CA isn't letting anyone do anything...

SO, anything can happen. They have cities in the running, but just like Vegas fell out and Disney "won" the NBA sweepstakes...well, anything can now happen now that folks are in the "getting realistic and getting a plan" phase...

Well, of the 3 front-runners, Chicago may fall out thanks to unrest...so they may need a 3rd option...CA may also fall out b/c CA isn't letting anyone do anything...

SO, anything can happen. They have cities in the running, but just like Vegas fell out and Disney "won" the NBA sweepstakes...well, anything can now happen now that folks are in the "getting realistic and getting a plan" phase...

Do they list any possible venues? I havent read the article. I would guess that the criteria would be cities with domed/retractable stadiums (please not Tampa), or warm, dry weather climates where rain is unlikely.

Playing at Disney for a stage like the WS would be very underwhelming when they could just as easily use real MLB stadiums and nearby hotels. The Indians have suspended 2 players on their own for leaving the hotel. So using a proper bubble doesn’t HAVE to be confined to a resort like disney. They just need to be on top of no one leaving the hotel.

Never say never, but with basketball it works nicely because of the amount of courts they have on the WWoS campus as opposed to baseball stadiums there.

Why? Were they planning to play downtown or in the Gold Coast?

We've had these issues for a long time, never stopped sports before. Perhaps having something happen in the city that could create jobs could stop some of the unrest, but I digress.

Wrigley would be stunning for the games.

CNN reporting that the Big 10 football conference will be postponing their season.

Looking at a possible spring 2021 start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter