New security measure: Do not disturb signs being Removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From whats been posted it seems they are just checking when they decide to do it. I don't think it has anything to do with signs being up for too long. There's been a couple of reports of people just getting back to there room, putting the sign up and someone knocking on the door shortly after.

I wanted to believe this was being blown out of proportion, but it really seems Disney is going full steam ahead with this.

yeah, and that is my point/worry - so putting up that sign really does nothing - hopefully something works out where there is some way to signal that you are fine with them coming in but I have a sleeping kid (or whatever) and come by later, but doesn't seem like they are so far

What would you need to have them "verified?"

Well, guess it is more a negative of a negative because the initial reports that went up were all then found to be false and were removed (they were pretty extreme as to what happened)

But it sounds like a number of other reports have come out and seems like there are a lot of negative reports

yeah, and that is my point/worry - so putting up that sign really does nothing - hopefully something works out where there is some way to signal that you are fine with them coming in but I have a sleeping kid (or whatever) and come by later, but doesn't seem like they are so far

People are being told by Managers that all the sign means is they have to knock before they try to enter. They are being very clear that it doesn't mean they will be left alone.

There were a few early reports that described very startling situations which where proven to be false, and I hadn't really heard much since (and those were really the only ones)
I know of the main report with the kids bathing turned out to be false and I'm one of those people that fell for that and thought it was true until later found out it wasn't but honestly I think people have latched onto that in the 3 or 4 threads that I know of on this topic and use that as the standard for all reports thus having this "hmm are you sure that's what happened?"

Or basically said "oh this is so blown out of proportion, I know Disney won't be doing this or that (which we don't because come on policies rarely are implemented uniformly), where are these reports of these people and then when you show a report or someone comments then it's well why did you leave so and so unattended, hmm well if you just had used the latch (oh that one I won't get into as it's already been talked about lol), people actually nap a lot at Disney!? why go on vacation, etc etc etc--comments from the multiple threads.

In this situation you're not likely to have pictures or video of what happened because of the nature of it being unexpected. I could see pictures of the sign itself but other than that there's not really a whole lot of actual physical proof here that could make it physically verifiable.

People are being told by Managers that all the sign means is they have to knock before they try to enter. They are being very clear that it doesn't mean they will be left alone.

agreed - but I think it is being interpreted differently by some people in this and other threads - but I think how they are acting is the key difference beyond just the words on the signs

I know of the main report with the kids bathing turned out to be false and I'm one of those people that fell for that and thought it was true until later found out it wasn't but honestly I think people have latched onto that in the 3 or 4 threads that I know of on this topic and use that as the standard for all reports thus having this "hmm are you sure that's what happened?"

Or basically said "oh this is so blown out of proportion, I know Disney won't be doing this or that (which we don't because come on policies rarely are implemented uniformly), where are these reports of these people and then when you show a report or someone comments then it's well why did you leave so and so unattended, hmm well if you just had used the latch (oh that one I won't get into as it's already been talked about lol), people actually nap a lot at Disney!? why go on vacation, etc etc etc--comments from the multiple threads.

In this situation you're not likely to have pictures or video of what happened because of the nature of it being unexpected. I could see pictures of the sign itself but other than that there's not really a whole lot of actual physical proof here that could make it physically verifiable.

I can only speak for myself and those initial stories were the only ones I had read/seen/heard about and they were proven to be false, so that is all I had - but now apparently there are more cases and I am just becoming aware of them.

I can only speak for myself and those initial stories were the only ones I had read/seen/heard about and they were proven to be false, so that is all I had - but now apparently there are more cases and I am just becoming aware of them.

The big thread in the Disney Resorts area has many reports in it. I tend to think most people exaggerate a little, but there are too many reports now to ignore.

Oh I know you can't know what you don't know right?

Just saying what's been going on in this thread and other threads out there.

Oh I know you can't know what you don't know right?

Just saying what's been going on in this thread and other threads out there.

The big thread in the Disney Resorts area has many reports in it. I tend to think most people exaggerate a little, but there are too many reports now to ignore.

I'll be honest I don't frequent many of the other forums so honestly have missed a lot of that chatter - definitely believe it though and find it to be an issue. Still hopeful it can work itself out over time, but I can understand people not being happy currently!

We just returned yesterday, spending 8 days in the parks, staying at the Poly. Without a doubt, DND signs have NOT been removed from the DVC villas at the Poly, at least for the Mo'Orea building where we stayed for 8 nights. Our room door had a Do Not Disturb sign, just like always, and I noticed many on other doors as we came and went. We had no issues with interruptions, however, we are not at Disney to hang out in the room during the day. I would prefer to have housekeeping in every day - wish that was included with DVC stays.

We don't have young children that require naps any more. When the kids were young, the few times we did go back to the resorts, if they had been woken up by security, I hope I wouldn't have been angered or offended. It is for our benefit, right? It's sad this is what things have come to, but I give Disney credit for doing what they can to avoid a potential horrible situation.

We just returned yesterday, spending 8 days in the parks, staying at the Poly. Without a doubt, DND signs have NOT been removed from the DVC villas at the Poly, at least for the Mo'Orea building where we stayed for 8 nights. Our room door had a Do Not Disturb sign, just like always, and I noticed many on other doors as we came and went. We had no issues with interruptions, however, we are not at Disney to hang out in the room during the day. I would prefer to have housekeeping in every day - wish that was included with DVC stays.

We don't have young children that require naps any more. When the kids were young, the few times we did go back to the resorts, if they had been woken up by security, I hope I wouldn't have been angered or offended. It is for our benefit, right? It's sad this is what things have come to, but I give Disney credit for doing what they can to avoid a potential horrible situation.
DVC from what I know is getting daily trash service rather than what the normal rooms have going on or at least that's what's been advised and isn't following the same procedure as other rooms.

Unfortunately it's not playing out well in the numerous reports now coming in.

have these reports been verified? I know some of the initial reports that came out were then proven to be false and have been removed from the DIS threads where they were reported

There has been quite a few just from the last 24 hours. Hard to believe they are all false.

In other threads yes people have talked about their experiences.

Where can I read some of these reports?

(I'm reposting this, since I put it on another thread as well.)

WDW just telephoned me and I spoke with a really attentive and responsive CM for over 10 minutes.

Here's the gist of what she said:
(1) They are now checking guest rooms once a day. So if you turned down housekeeping, someone else will want access to your room at some point. You can arrange for the time they're going to come by calling the front desk and letting them know.
(2) If housekeeping hasn't serviced your room yet (like while you're out at a park) and you come back and want to take a nap and not be disturbed, you can call the front desk and let them know not to disturb you and they'll honor your request. However, at some point you will have to give access to someone to come into the room.
(3) If you got housekeeping and they cleaned your room that day, no one else will come to your room for any additional inspection, etc.

Since we always have housekeeping, this seems like it's not an issue for us, however, I see how it is if you've turned down housekeeping or are staying at a villa on points.

The CM actually said that one of the reasons this policy went into effect is that with the option to turn down housekeeping at certain resorts, the housekeeping staff would show up in the room after a couple of days of no service and the room would be trashed or there would be problems, like a leaky sink, for example, that hadn't been addressed for those couple of days.

I hope this is helpful to others on this thread. I can only report what the CM told me. I haven't been there since the new policy went into effect, but I hope this information is correct. I will report back after our trip.

WDW just telephoned me and I spoke with a really attentive and responsive CM for over 10 minutes.

(1) They are now checking guest rooms once a day. So if you turned down housekeeping, someone else will want access to your room at some point. You can arrange for the time they're going to come by calling the front desk and letting them know.
(2) If housekeeping hasn't serviced your room yet (like while you're out at a park) and you come back and want to take a nap and not be disturbed, you can call the front desk and let them know not to disturb you and they'll honor your request. However, at some point you will have to give access to someone to come into the room.
(3) If you got housekeeping and they cleaned your room that day, no one else will come to your room for any additional inspection, etc.

Since we always have housekeeping, this seems like it's not an issue for us, however, I see how it is if you've turned down housekeeping or are staying at a villa on points.

The CM actually said that one of the reasons this policy went into effect is that with the option to turn down housekeeping at certain resorts, the housekeeping staff would show up in the room after a couple of days of no service and the room would be trashed or there would be problems, like a leaky sink, for example, that hadn't been addressed for those couple of days.

I hope this is helpful to others on this thread. I can only report what the CM told me. I haven't been there since the new policy went into effect, but I hope this information is correct. I will report back after our trip.
Thank you for relaying how your call went.

I'm not buying the "people were trashing their rooms" line though. I find that very disingenuous of them to say that.

I doubt other chains were having the same exact problem with their rooms at the same exact time Disney did, a fairly short time after the LV shootings.

I'll respond here rather than 2 places. I appreciate your information you have been able to provide.

While I could see an isolated case of trashed rooms or leaky sink I do agree with mom2rtk it's out of place for Disney to assign blame like that. Plus..why on earth continue to give gift card incentives for opting out of housekeeping if it led to such adverse conditions that it contributed to a 180 turn in a policy? Sounds like perhaps they were trying to give some sort of reason other than security IDK weird.

Thank you for relaying how your call went.

I'm not buying the "people were trashing their rooms" line though. I find that very disingenuous of them to say that.

I doubt other chains were having the same exact problem with their rooms at the same exact time Disney did, a fairly short time after the LV shootings.

I'll respond here rather than 2 places. I appreciate your information you have been able to provide.

While I could see an isolated case of trashed rooms or leaky sink I do agree with mom2rtk it's out of place for Disney to assign blame like that. Plus..why on earth continue to give gift card incentives for opting out of housekeeping if it led to such adverse conditions that it contributed to a 180 turn in a policy? Sounds like perhaps they were trying to give some sort of reason other than security IDK weird.

To be fair, the CM said "one of the reasons" was to check if something was trashed/broken/etc - not the only reason or necessarily the main reason. If they are giving that impression to guests I agree that is disingenuous - but I could see it being an added benefit

To be fair, the CM said "one of the reasons" was to check if something was trashed/broken/etc - not the only reason or necessarily the main reason. If they are giving that impression to guests I agree that is disingenuous - but I could see it being an added benefit

To be fair though I said contributed to.

Regardless they need to stop the gift card incentive period if that is your stance that it can benefit. You don't give a reason that rooms were being trashed or maintainence issues can go unreported when you are giving incentives explicitly for people to bypass the very thing that could lead to rooms trashed (which can happen in under 24 hours too but anyways) or maintainence issues to go unreported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter