New shampoo containers?

We stayed at Riverside in November and did not have the pump dispensers in our room.
Well I don't know if they changed their minds mid way or what, but according to wdwnt.com, this pic is from POR with this caption.

"The picture above photo-disney-world-replacing-stealable-toiletries-with-pump-dispensers-in-guest-hotel-rooms.jpg is from Port Orleans Riverside, featuring a locked shelf holding pump dispensers for conditioner, shampoo, and body wash."

Well I don't know if they changed their minds mid way or what, but according to wdwnt.com, this pic is from POR with this caption.

It was a trial installed in a handful of rooms, not resort wide.

I wouldn't mind them at a value resort, since they're less expensive places to stay. I would think they would look tacky at a deluxe resort, especially at the GF, though.

Either way, I bring my own products (I use cleansing conditioner, like Wen, especially in the humid Florida weather, instead of shampoo). I also bring my own soap.

I don't have an issue with them. They used to have these at the values, and my gym has them, too. If it saves me having to bring anything of my own, I am all for it..

I really don't see the "yuck" factor here, unless you're talking about aesthetics.

Some posters have mentioned contamination and germs. :confused3 We're talking about soap, right? Do people plan to drink it? That's what we use to get RID of germs. Hard to see the contamination risk there.

I really don't see the "yuck" factor here, unless you're talking about aesthetics.

Some posters have mentioned contamination and germs. :confused3 We're talking about soap, right? Do people plan to drink it? That's what we use to get RID of germs. Hard to see the contamination risk there.

This made me laugh as I was thinking the same thing!

So, my yuck factor is that they are locked in and I doubt they are taking them out and cleaning them every time.
Moisture and soap can get stuck in the back and bottom of the holders and remarkably will grow mold. Also I just don't like the multiple hands touching them. I mean really, would you use a bar of soap left over from the previous guest, or a half used (individual bottle) of shampoo or conditioner left over from the last guest?

There are times where that is the only choice (public restroom soap dispensers for example) but that is not hanging in my shower.

It might be nothing but I find it icky.

So, my yuck factor is that they are locked in and I doubt they are taking them out and cleaning them every time.
Moisture and soap can get stuck in the back and bottom of the holders and remarkably will grow mold. Also I just don't like the multiple hands touching them. I mean really, would you use a bar of soap left over from the previous guest, or a half used (individual bottle) of shampoo or conditioner left over from the last guest?

There are times where that is the only choice (public restroom soap dispensers for example) but that is not hanging in my shower.

Is it really any different from having to smack your hand on a public soap dispenser before washing your hands?

As long as you are not picking up the bottles anything on the outside of them shouldn't be getting onto your hands either.

I know it is easy to say that, but not as easy to get rid of a bit of the eww that comes from having the bottles.

I too bring my own products so I will not be using these, but I have to say they freak me out. Others have mentioned they do not see the difference between these an public restroom soap dispensers.....I see the one big difference as when someone is washing their hands in a public restroom, they are NOT standing naked in a shower. I think think is extremely unsanitary and plan to bring something disposable to cover them during my stay. Does anyone know if a plastic disposable shower cap will cover the circumference?

Others have mentioned they do not see the difference between these an public restroom soap dispensers.....I see the one big difference as when someone is washing their hands in a public restroom, they are NOT standing naked in a shower.

I'm sorry, but please explain this. I'm coming up blank.

You do realize you are standing naked in an enclosure that has held thousands of naked bodies, right? And had countless hands touching the same things? Not sure how a bottle is unsanitary but the shower curtain or door is fine.

You do realize you are standing naked in an enclosure that has held thousands of naked bodies, right? And had countless hands touching the same things? Not sure how a bottle is unsanitary but the shower curtain or door is fine.

I did not mean to start a debate, it is just a personal thing for me....I do get that people stand naked in a shower. I Lysol the heck out of everything upon check in (which I know it not 100% effective). However, this is a communal type bottle. It just freaks me out. Think about it, a person has a wash cloth that they have washed themselves with, they put it up to the pump, touching the washcloth they have just rubbed on their soiled body to the nozzle of the pump probably making direct contact. PLUS when the soap will pumps out what does not land on the washcloth will either hang on the tip of the nozzle or hang out there for the next persons pump, or even worse kind of suck back up in to the bottle....now you are touching your washcloth to that.....to each their own, it is just not for me.

Well, to me it’s different. Your washing your whole body in what could be a contaminated product. Not just your hands. When you (past guest) touch the nozzle with your hand that may be contaminated (maybe someone went to the bathroom then entered shower ....you get the picture) the germs can travel up the nozzle into the product. Now your smearing that contaminated product all over you..
Hopefully the bath enclosure has been cleaned after last guests leave. But I bring Lysol disenfectant spray with me and spray down everything when we get our room. I doubt they are swapping out these bottles and nozzles in between guests so the product inside bottles can be contaminated.
I see lots of public washrooms now that have the no touch hand sanitizer next to exit door. So after washing hands you can sanitize.

We used to have pump bottles of antibacterial soap in our microbiology lab for hand washing. EVERY single brand of soap would eventually grow gross bacteria in it from people touching the spout where the soap comes out, then the bacteria from their hands would travel back into the bottle. These things are not safe to be shared among large groups of people. Yuck! I will not use them.

I too bring my own products so I will not be using these, but I have to say they freak me out. Others have mentioned they do not see the difference between these an public restroom soap dispensers.....I see the one big difference as when someone is washing their hands in a public restroom, they are NOT standing naked in a shower. I think think is extremely unsanitary and plan to bring something disposable to cover them during my stay. Does anyone know if a plastic disposable shower cap will cover the circumference?

Probably it will, but I covered it with a plastic grocery bag. I usually keep a few in my suitcases. I did not want my DS to be touching them. We always bring our own soap because all five of us use a different type/brand of soap. I always have extra shampoo bottles in my travel bag in case we run short so now I just brought more. There was a bar of soap at the sink, we used that there for our hands.

Agree, these are a good size, I don't see them unlocking the unit until a bottle needs replacing and that could mean weeks of showers and different guests. When I pulled the one bottle off .......... yes, there was standing water in the unit (we had not showered) and a film over the "steel" surface it sat on and behind it. If they are not removing the bottles regularly, there likely will be no cleaning of the unit.

Also two of the bottles had that glob of soap at the end of the pump.

If the holder is not locked, I expect a lot of product to be walking away. That would probably be the only way this would stop, is if they are having to replace the bottles when they are relatively full. I can't imagine it's that much cheaper to put the little tubes in daily than putting the big bottles in a few times a week, depending on turnover.

The fact that it's not locked has me even more concerned about people putting something in the bottles as a "prank". Nothing like putting Nair on your head instead of conditioner, or pumping a handful of soap with dye that leaves your hands red or blue or purple or green. Nothing would surprise me these days. I'll just take my own products, thanks . . .

If the holder is not locked, I expect a lot of product to be walking away. That would probably be the only way this would stop, is if they are having to replace the bottles when they are relatively full. I can't imagine it's that much cheaper to put the little tubes in daily than putting the big bottles in a few times a week, depending on turnover.

The fact that it's not locked has me even more concerned about people putting something in the bottles as a "prank". Nothing like putting Nair on your head instead of conditioner, or pumping a handful of soap with dye that leaves your hands red or blue or purple or green. Nothing would surprise me these days. I'll just take my own products, thanks . . .
:scared1::scared1::scared1: Omg I never thought of that. Hopefully people wouldn’t do such a thing. That would be truly awful.
They say it’s a locked unit but someone already posted a pic having been able to unlock it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter