New Vendor Drop-Off Policy? Update: CONFIRMED exclusive drop off vendor = Scooterbug

If this had happened during our last trip and i couldn't have had my scooter dropped at bell services it would have been a disaster.
I can't think of a mobility device rental company in the Disney area that isn't customer focused and wouldn't work with each customer to deliver the device directly to the customer at the time the customer needs. IMO, "disaster" is exaggeration (in a way "inconvenient" is not.)
I suppose I can call Deckert and see what they say. Can they deliver and meet me?
You should call them.

I can't think of a mobility device rental company in the Disney area that isn't customer focused and wouldn't work with each customer to deliver the device directly to the customer at the time the customer needs. IMO, "disaster" is exaggeration (in a way "inconvenient" is not.)
Have you ever been completely dependent on a device for your mobility? It certainly would have been a disaster for me to be without that scooter. I would have had no way to get anywhere other than the hotel lobby. We arrived very late that trip. I would have had to wait until the next morning for delivery. I have no idea how I would have gotten to my room.

We arrived very late that trip.
Then you rent from a the company that can drop off and pick up at Bell Services. Or, now that guests are aware of the procedure change, adapt one's arrival and departure time. Or buy your own device. Or rent one at home and take it with you.

Disney is not likely to adapt for us in this situation. We need to adapt.

Then you rent from a the company that can drop off and pick up at Bell Services. Or, now that guests are aware of the procedure change, adapt one's arrival and departure time. Or buy your own device. Or rent one at home and take it with you.

Disney is not likely to adapt for us in this situation. We need to adapt.
My point is that if this transition had happened while I was in the process of scrambling to figure out Disney with an ECV, what to do, how to do it, ect, and wasn't as well versed as I am now then I might have missed this and ended up stuck. Not everyone is on the disboards or even knows where to look for this stuff, and I went from never having to think about mobility to totally dependent in an instant literally days before a trip. We thought it wasn't going to be that bad, turns out it was and I was 100% dependent on the scooter for my mobility outside of a few steps across the room. It was a lot to deal with and I very well may not have caught this until it was too late. It WOULD have been a disaster if I hadn't been able to secure a rental from a preferred provider at the last minute, not a minor inconvenience, regardless of how you perceive it. You weren't in my shoes at the time.

My point is that if this transition had happened while I was in the process of scrambling to figure out Disney with an ECV, what to do, how to do it, ect, and wasn't as well versed as I am now then I might have missed this and ended up stuck.
Ideally, the rental company would have informed you when you made the reservation - whether online or on the phone. I haven't checked any of the websites to see if they're updated.

Ideally, the rental company would have informed you when you made the reservation - whether online or on the phone. I haven't checked any of the websites to see if they're updated.
you have an answer for everything, and what we "should be" doing. All I am trying to say is that this transition happened pretty rapidly, and not everyone is as on top of things as you. I know YOU wouldn't have messed up because YOU ALWAYS stay perfectly on top of everything, but those of us who are imperfect make mistakes, or don't have all the information instantly. The rapidness of this transition could have very well left people in a lurch who are less prepared than you. I very well could have been one of them given how overwhelmed I was at the time, and yes, it would have been very, very bad. I get that you seem to think that there is no excuse for that, but its the reality of the situation i found myself in at the time.

I also could have ended up stuck due to availability. If scooterbug doesn't have the inventory to service a reservation, there is no other option if you cannot meet someone face to face for drop off and pick up. That could be a problem in a late or early arrival situation, particularly late as you would have to wait until morning. I know you are going to say that they always have availability, but things do happen last minute and they very well could be booked. It CAN happen that someone gets stranded without a rental.

you have an answer for everything, and what we "should be" doing. All I am trying to say is that this transition happened pretty rapidly, and not everyone is as on top of things as you. I know YOU wouldn't have messed up because YOU ALWAYS stay perfectly on top of everything, but those of us who are imperfect make mistakes, or don't have all the information instantly. The rapidness of this transition could have very well left people in a lurch who are less prepared than you. I very well could have been one of them given how overwhelmed I was at the time, and yes, it would have been very, very bad. I get that you seem to think that there is no excuse for that, but its the reality of the situation i found myself in at the time.

I also could have ended up stuck due to availability. If scooterbug doesn't have the inventory to service a reservation, there is no other option if you cannot meet someone face to face for drop off and pick up. That could be a problem in a late or early arrival situation, particularly late as you would have to wait until morning. I know you are going to say that they always have availability, but things do happen last minute and they very well could be booked. It CAN happen that someone gets stranded without a rental.

I would like to think that if this worse case scenario happened where you landed, got onto ME, got to your resort and could not walk to your room, that Disney would have found you a wheelchair to use temporarily, or got with their preferred vendor to get you an ECV. I can't imagine that they would just let you sit there in the lobby all night. I think you are being over dramatic with your scenario. After all, people get injured while at the park and need to find a way to get around. Things work out. It might take a little bit of time, but that is life. And as a side note, I hate how everyone uses the word "overwhelmed" for every day life events. Having your spouse die, your kid sick, and your house being foreclosed on all at the same time is an overwhelming situation. Not vacation planning.

Eyeoreandtink - Gently, I wish you would stop saying that you are 100% dependent on a mobility device. If you can board and deboard from a bus or car and walk even a few steps into a hotel you are not totally dependent.

Take it from someone who is in a wheelchair full time - I’d kill to be able to walk even 3-4 steps. I understand that you absolutely need a mobility device, but stating that you are 100% dependent is overkill.

I would like to think that if this worse case scenario happened where you landed, got onto ME, got to your resort and could not walk to your room, that Disney would have found you a wheelchair to use temporarily, or got with their preferred vendor to get you an ECV. I can't imagine that they would just let you sit there in the lobby all night. I think you are being over dramatic with your scenario. After all, people get injured while at the park and need to find a way to get around. Things work out. It might take a little bit of time, but that is life. And as a side note, I hate how everyone uses the word "overwhelmed" for every day life events. Having your spouse die, your kid sick, and your house being foreclosed on all at the same time is an overwhelming situation. Not vacation planning.
Being suddenly injured in a way that completely robs you of mobility is overwhelming. It's not a fun situation to be in. If you haven't been there, you don't get how much it effects EVERY aspect of your life. Literally everything you do becomes exponentially harded overnight with no warning. You are not prepared for the new reality of being dependent on people and devices for even basic needs. THAT is what I was overwhelmed dealing with. Having to deal with being stranded would have just been fuel for the fire. Call me whatever you want, but unless and until you have been there, wondering if and how you are going to get around, you don't get it. I sincerely hope it never happens to you, but perhaps you shouldn't paint people in situations you have never had to deal with as overly dramatic. Comments like that are one reason people end up not speaking out about being overwhelmed, depressed, anxious, ect and end up in a bad way.
As a society we really need to stop criticizing people for not being as strong, or handling things as well as we think they should. Making sure I had a scooter ready to go was a HUGE deal for me. The LAST thing I wanted to do was draw more attention to my situation so someone who had no idea about what was going on could make a comment about lazy, fat, dramatic, ect people who should just get up and walk. I shouldn't have to worry about that, but clearly, that's what people think they are justified in doing so it is a concern. No one in that situation wants the embarrassment of being stranded in the lobby and staff scrambling to figure out how to get you to your room.

Eyeoreandtink - Gently, I wish you would stop saying that you are 100% dependent on a mobility device. If you can board and deboard from a bus or car and walk even a few steps into a hotel you are not totally dependent.

Take it from someone who is in a wheelchair full time - I’d kill to be able to walk even 3-4 steps. I understand that you absolutely need a mobility device, but stating that you are 100% dependent is overkill.
I am sorry, I was totally not trying to offend anyone. I do get that being wheelchair bound is completely different. I am truly sorry if I offended you. I was dependent on the device to get anywhere outside my room, and dependent on mobility aids within the room. I could get in some cars, but no way could I board a bus.

I was trying to get a point across. I don't think the poster I was talking to actually gets what it's like not to be able to just go where you want. I am actually, A LOT better now, but it took almost a year. It was a very scary experience for me. Thank you for giving me some perspective.

Last edited:
I am sorry, I was totally not trying to offend anyone. I do get that being wheelchair bound is completely different. I am truly sorry if I offended you. I was dependent on the device to get anywhere outside my room, and dependent on mobility aids within the room. I could get in some cars, but no way could I board a bus.

I was trying to get a point across. I don't think the poster I was talking to actually gets what it's like not to be able to just go where you want. I am actually, A LOT better now, but it took almost a year. It was a very scary experience for me. Thank you for giving me some perspective.
You did not offend me at ALL. I know the state you are in and how helpless you can feel as that was me until I got worse a year ago. I wanted to kill my husband when he left me stranded at a table while he disappeared with the key to ECV and the ECV parked across the room.

Just wanted to clarify the terminology. sorry I gave you the impression that you had offended me.

I have a degenerative nerve disease ( CIDP - which nobody’s heard of). I am now taking IVIG infusions which help some walk again. Too soon to tell for me.

You did not offend me at ALL. I know the state you are in and how helpless you can feel as that was me until I got worse a year ago. I wanted to kill my husband when he left me stranded at a table while he disappeared with the key to ECV and the ECV parked across the room.

Just wanted to clarify the terminology. sorry I gave you the impression that you had offended me.

I have a degenerative nerve disease ( CIDP - which nobody’s heard of). I am now taking IVIG infusions which help some walk again. Too soon to tell for me.
I am a science nerd, so I know what CIDP is. I sincerely hope that IVIG works for you!

Being suddenly injured in a way that completely robs you of mobility is overwhelming. It's not a fun situation to be in. If you haven't been there, you don't get how much it effects EVERY aspect of your life. Literally everything you do becomes exponentially harded overnight with no warning. You are not prepared for the new reality of being dependent on people and devices for even basic needs. THAT is what I was overwhelmed dealing with. Having to deal with being stranded would have just been fuel for the fire. Call me whatever you want, but unless and until you have been there, wondering if and how you are going to get around, you don't get it. I sincerely hope it never happens to you, but perhaps you shouldn't paint people in situations you have never had to deal with as overly dramatic. Comments like that are one reason people end up not speaking out about being overwhelmed, depressed, anxious, ect and end up in a bad way.
As a society we really need to stop criticizing people for not being as strong, or handling things as well as we think they should. Making sure I had a scooter ready to go was a HUGE deal for me. The LAST thing I wanted to do was draw more attention to my situation so someone who had no idea about what was going on could make a comment about lazy, fat, dramatic, ect people who should just get up and walk. I shouldn't have to worry about that, but clearly, that's what people think they are justified in doing so it is a concern. No one in that situation wants the embarrassment of being stranded in the lobby and staff scrambling to figure out how to get you to your room.

Actually I have been injured to where I could not walk for a while. It was a major pain in the butt, frustrating, and annoying, but not overwhelming. I could not go to work because my job requires me to move around, I had to rely on my husband to get me around and to do things, not just for me, but for our kids as well. Life happens, it is all in how you choose to look at it. I didn't complain and expect everyone else to cater to me and feel sorry for me. I did what needed to be done. This situation, that has not even happened, has you so worked up over a minor inconvenience. Maybe you need to step back from it and see it for what it is.

Actually, the 1/3 mile I referenced for Kidani in post# 210 was from a post by the official Disney Moms panel. But even at 1/4 mile it can be difficult for someone with mobility issues because that may be more than they typically walk at home.

Regarding the airport, if you let them know you need a wheelchair, they note it on your reservation and someone meets you with a wheelchair. They have lots of wheelchairs that are used for transfers, and they have the capacity to handle typical demand.
As to the discussion about resort distances:

As someone who suddenly found themselves in a situation of being completely dependent on a scooter to get around at Disney, frankly 1/3 vs 1/2 mile, how many bus stops there are, ect. doesn't matter. Many people who need a mobility device cannot walk it. They would be stranded without a scooter.

If this had happened during our last trip and i couldn't have had my scooter dropped at bell services it would have been a disaster. I had a greater than 50% tear of my MCL with displacement of my knee and injury to the meniscus. 4 weeks prior to Disney. At that point, I could walk very short distances with a cane, but NO WAY was I getting from a resort lobby to my room, room to bus, and bus to park entrance without a scooter. I didn't have my own device to bring, because it was what I thought was a temporary injury. I was newly thrust into needing a scooter and adjusting plans last minute. I don't know that we would have made the trip without that scooter waiting for me when I got to the resort.
Have you ever been completely dependent on a device for your mobility? It certainly would have been a disaster for me to be without that scooter. I would have had no way to get anywhere other than the hotel lobby. We arrived very late that trip. I would have had to wait until the next morning for delivery. I have no idea how I would have gotten to my room.

From all the posts above, it just makes so much more sense to me that these people who are so dependent on an ECV would be bringing one with them? How do they get around at home, etc? If having to wait for the delivery is a huge complication, wouldn't personal responsibility dictate that one brings a mobility device that can help one get around? Businesses do not have to supply mobility devices, do they? I would expect people who have problems getting around to have a mobility device at hand at all times - what would you do if there was a need to evacuate, and you didn't have a way to get out of some area quickly? Sadly, we live in a world of mass shootings, etc, and it is necessary to always have a means of escape, right?

Actually I have been injured to where I could not walk for a while. It was a major pain in the butt, frustrating, and annoying, but not overwhelming. I could not go to work because my job requires me to move around, I had to rely on my husband to get me around and to do things, not just for me, but for our kids as well. Life happens, it is all in how you choose to look at it. I didn't complain and expect everyone else to cater to me and feel sorry for me. I did what needed to be done. This situation, that has not even happened, has you so worked up over a minor inconvenience. Maybe you need to step back from it and see it for what it is.
Maybe you need to have a little compassion for others who aren’t as perfect as you. It’s attitudes like this that lead to people going down dark roads. I am worked up because this attitude is why people don’t ask for help when they need it, often to disastrous outcomes. It angers me when needing help is stigmatized. I couldn’t “do what needed to be done” I couldn’t do much of anything. I needed help to shower because I couldn’t transfer myself. I could barely get to a toilet on my own. You could forget driving myself anywhere, cooking a meal, or any other simple task. It was 6 months before I could stand up in the shower. That is a whole different ballgame than being off work for a little while. It was overwhelming to thing that I might never be independent again. The pain and exhaustion just getting through the day was overwhelming, with no end in sight. It was rough, period. I did. NOT whine and expect anyone to feel sorry for me or cater to me. far from it. I hated asking for help. Attitudes like yours led to me not asking for it, falling, and setting back my recovery.

From all the posts above, it just makes so much more sense to me that these people who are so dependent on an ECV would be bringing one with them? How do they get around at home, etc? If having to wait for the delivery is a huge complication, wouldn't personal responsibility dictate that one brings a mobility device that can help one get around? Businesses do not have to supply mobility devices, do they? I would expect people who have problems getting around to have a mobility device at hand at all times - what would you do if there was a need to evacuate, and you didn't have a way to get out of some area quickly? Sadly, we live in a world of mass shootings, etc, and it is necessary to always have a means of escape, right?
Not when it is an acute injury that is expected to be temporary. Scooters cost thousands and insurance won’t provide one for a temporary injury. Think about all the elderly people you know who use a walker to get around and don’t have scooters as well.

I am a science nerd, so I know what CIDP is. I sincerely hope that IVIG works for you!
I actually know too.
I know several people who were being evaluated for either MS or CIDP.
Ok, this isn’t helping anybody. Back to discussion about the new exclusive featured vendor program. If you don’t have anything helpful to contribute, move along to another thread.
lanejudy beat me to it.
if it‘s helpful information on how the new program is working - either with Scooterbug or one of the other, non-featured vendor, it’s contributing helpful information.

Ok, this isn’t helping anybody. Back to discussion about the new exclusive featured vendor program. If you don’t have anything helpful to contribute, move along to another tuhread.
Oh, rats! And I had all kinds of lucid, intellectual, impressive responses ready to post! ;)

So, okay, seriously - has anybody had experience yet with the new policy? Having to get delivery in person? How did it work?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter