News on Annual Passes

"When asked why new annual pass sales are still largely paused, a Disney spokesperson stated that the company is still focused on existing passholders, as they are seeing some of the highest-ever renewal rates from that group." (https://thepointsguy.com/news/disney-world-ticket-price-increase/, November 15, 2022.)

I wonder why renewal rate is high. Oh ya if you do not renew you cannot buy a new pass. So its either renew or have no pass.
Which seems to fit in with Disney's current tactic of punishing people into doing what they want instead of luring them in.

Once again, the bloggers are misinterpreting a statement and saying something totally different resulting in possible misinformation.

I read one that said the sales of new annual passes would resume in 2023. It was an affirmative statement much like the one in 2021 that said new sales would resume in 2022 (which turned out to be wrong.)

What Scott Gustin said on Twitter on 11-15-2022 was: "A note: I asked Disney about a timeline for new AP sales -- WDW does not anticipate new AP sales (Incredi-Pass, Sorcerer, Pirate) to resume before the end of the year."

Not anticipating resumption of sales by the end of 2022 and an affirmative statement saying sales will resume in 2023 are very different factual statements.

Now, I happen to believe that it is highly probable that sales of new APs will resume in 2023, at least for a short window until they bring up the numbers to their limits on distributed APs, but I would not go so far as to state affirmatively that that will happen based on the quote.

Reading comprehension and accurate reporting on a topic sensitive to many people waiting for sales to re-open is kind of important. We need to be careful. Disney fans need accurate information in order to plan. Right now, sales of new APs are still paused and most likely will be through the end of 2022. After that, there will be a period of heightened alertness to a possible announcement of sales resuming. That is a greater possibility than it has been for a while, but still not a fact at this point.

When we read something, let's not choose other words or paraphrase it so it means something else.

Last edited:

It is very interesting that Disney resumed sales of new Magic Keys without any preliminary announcement whatsoever.

The media learned of it today (11-16-2022) and sales started 30 minutes later!

That's kind of a good sign for WDW annual passes.
Not really. It was already said they wouldn't open up sales til the new year.

It is very interesting that Disney resumed sales of new Magic Keys without any preliminary announcement whatsoever.

The media learned of it today (11-16-2022) and sales started 30 minutes later!

That's kind of a good sign for WDW annual passes.
Yes, and it also negates the argument that's been said in the past that Disney won't resume AP sales until the litigation is settled. They're literally opening up sales for the park where the litigation originated.

Yes, and it also negates the argument that's been said in the past that Disney won't resume AP sales until the litigation is settled. They're literally opening up sales for the park where the litigation originated.
Agreed. I do still think they will have limited availability.

I know. I posted about that in some detail in another thread just a few minutes ago.

Oh yes definitely...I'm curious to see how quickly the different levels sell out!
I just looked at the calendars for Magic Keys. I think they changed the block-out dates on more than just the Inspire. I may be wrong. So, they might change WDW APs going forward. Be sure to read the calendars and the terms and conditions before purchase.

Not really. It was already said they wouldn't open up sales til the new year.
Oh, Gustin's report of the statement from a WDW source still stands (not expected to resume in 2022), but my thought was IIRC on August 4, 2021, Disney announced new sales would start on September 8, 2021. So, there was about 5 weeks notice. So, even if we hear nothing through 2022, it could still mean new AP sales resume as early as January or February 2023.

(Heavily edited to remove erroneous information.).
Right now I am watching the DLR sales. 1. They started with sales at ticket kiosks and a web queue. 2. In the first hour or so the queue exploded to multi-hour wait. 3. The queue seemed to go to a standstill overnight. 4. Disney gave a warning that sales of any particular pass level might sell out. 5. Disney gave a warning that even being in the queue did not mean the passes would still be available when it was their turn.

So, there are some lessons here. My thought is there will be little to no warning. Also, since Disney gave such clear warnings that even being in the queue might not get them a Magic Key, it appears they are prepared to sell whatever they have and not to wait until they have enough non-renewals to hold the sales window open for a few weeks or just days. It could be just hours!

Last edited:
Oh, Gustin's report of the statement from a WDW source still stands (not expected to resume in 2022), but my thought was IIRC on August 4, 2021, Disney announced new sales would start on September 8, 2021. So, there was about 5 weeks notice. So, even if we hear nothing through 2022, it could still mean new AP sales resume as early as January or February 2023.

Right now I am watching the DLR sales. 1. They started with sales at guest services, ticket kiosks and a phone queue. 2. In the first hour or so the phone queue exploded to multi-hour wait. 3. The phone queue seemed to go to a standstill overnight. 4. Disney gave a warning that sales of any particular pass level might sell out. 5. Disney gave a warning that even being in the queue did not mean the passes would still be available when it was their turn.

So, there are some lessons here. My thought is there will be little to no warning. Also, since Disney gave such clear warnings that even being in the queue might not get them a Magic Key, it appears they are prepared to sell whatever they have and not to wait until they have enough non-renewals to hold the sales window open for a few weeks or just days. It could be just hours!

DH and I have a Pixie, but want to upgrade. We have not yet had a first use on them (discount or park entry). So, as soon as it is announced, I am in my car driving to a park ticket sales kiosk. Probably Animal Kingdom. I think Disney Springs Guest Services is going to be mobbed. I'm going to do this in-person.
Looking forward to a full report!!!

A while ago, I came across information that said if you already have an annual pass you cannot buy a new one online. You would have to call or go in person to upgrade an existing pass to the upgraded pass. So, in essence, I cannot abandon a pass and buy a new one or even buy a new one that I will start to use after the current pass expires.

Now with the DLR resumption of Magic Keys, I am hearing that you can cash in unused tickets for an annual pass -- on the website.

So, what is the current status?

Looking forward to a full report!!!
Oh, I 'm sorry, Miffy. I thought no one had replied and I updated that post. No phone sales according to someone's post with DLR. Apparently it is a website queue? I don't know for sure.

Anyway, some of the DLR AP sales website servers have crashed. That's what their passholder phone line CMs are telling people.

Last edited:
Oh, I 'm sorry, Miffy. I thought no one had replied and I updated that post. No phone sales according to someone's post with DLR. Apparently it is a website queue? I don't know for sure.

Anyway, some of the DLR AP sales website servers have crashed. That's what their passholder phone line CMs are tellling people.
Good luck to you when the WDW APs do go on sale. I have a feeling it is going to be this year and maybe soon. I was pretty surprised to see the DLR passes went back on sale. And I guess Mickey needs the cash.

Good luck to you when the WDW APs do go on sale. I have a feeling it is going to be this year and maybe soon. I was pretty surprised to see the DLR passes went back on sale. And I guess Mickey needs the cash.
My guess is reservations are down for next year compared to what they wanted. This is there way to make up for it. IMO that pent up demand is slowing down for economic reasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter