• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News on Annual Passes

Right now I am watching the DLR sales. 1. They started with sales at guest services, ticket kiosks and a phone queue. 2. In the first hour or so the phone queue exploded to multi-hour wait. 3. The phone queue seemed to go to a standstill overnight. 4. Disney gave a warning that sales of any particular pass level might sell out. 5. Disney gave a warning that even being in the queue did not mean the passes would still be available when it was their turn.

A while ago, I came across information that said if you already have an annual pass you cannot buy a new one online. You would have to call or go in person to upgrade an existing pass to the upgraded pass. So, in essence, I cannot abandon a pass and buy a new one or even buy a new one that I will start to use after the current pass expires.

Now with the DLR resumption of Magic Keys, I am hearing that you can cash in unused tickets for an annual pass -- on the website.

So, what is the current status?

Oh, I 'm sorry, Miffy. I thought no one had replied and I updated that post. No phone sales according to someone's post with DLR. Apparently it is a website queue? I don't know for sure.

Anyway, some of the DLR AP sales website servers have crashed. That's what their passholder phone line CMs are tellling people.

The only places a DLR Magic Key can be purchased are:

1) on the website (uses Queue It for the online queue)
2) at the ticket booths (reserved for oddball needs like using gift cards, unused tickets, or other unusual situations; also required to upgrade an existing pass before its renewal window; this option is highly discouraged by Disney).
3) through the app (only for upgrading a valid ticket after it has been used, but before the end of the last day)

You cannot use unused tickets online towards the purchase of a Magic Key. You can't do it through the app either. It must be activated. And if not the end of your last day, you may lose all of your existing reservations and be locked out of the parks.

Can't buy at guest services. The only place on site are the ticket booths and guest services will redirect you there.

Purchasing over the phone has also not been a thing. People just always call thinking they're being smart and getting around the queue only to back up the phone lines for an unnecessary reason. The only financial related thing you can do over the phone is to change the auto payment card for monthly payments.

Some are buying a voucher which they intend to use when their old one expires. So far the system seems to be allowing it to happen.

A while ago, I came across information that said if you already have an annual pass you cannot buy a new one online. You would have to call or go in person to upgrade an existing pass to the upgraded pass. So, in essence, I cannot abandon a pass and buy a new one or even buy a new one that I will start to use after the current pass expires.

Now with the DLR resumption of Magic Keys, I am hearing that you can cash in unused tickets for an annual pass -- on the website.

So, what is the current status?
WDW works different in this regard, so what happens at DL is sort of irrelevant
At WDW you can most 100% use tickets towards AP renewal and AP purchase
Even now, in this current status
Not purchase mind you, not current, but renewal 100% can. I have. Others have.
You can't do this on the website but you can do it on the phone and in person.
At purchase you can do it yourself right on the app using an existing ticket. It gives you the option right on the app. I helped my friend buy hers, so I've done it. When AP sales resume this will resume also

The only places a DLR Magic Key can be purchased are:

1) on the website (uses Queue It for the online queue)
2) at the ticket booths (reserved for oddball needs like using gift cards, unused tickets, or other unusual situations; also required to upgrade an existing pass before its renewal window; this option is highly discouraged by Disney).
3) through the app (only for upgrading a valid ticket after it has been used, but before the end of the last day)

You cannot use unused tickets online towards the purchase of a Magic Key. You can't do it through the app either. It must be activated. And if not the end of your last day, you may lose all of your existing reservations and be locked out of the parks.

Can't buy at guest services. The only place on site are the ticket booths and guest services will redirect you there.

Purchasing over the phone has also not been a thing. People just always call thinking they're being smart and getting around the queue only to back up the phone lines for an unnecessary reason. The only financial related thing you can do over the phone is to change the auto payment card for monthly payments.

Some are buying a voucher which they intend to use when their old one expires. So far the system seems to be allowing it to happen.
Thank you very much. Good corrections. I will go ahead and delete so I do not add to the confusion.

WDW works different in this regard, so what happens at DL is sort of irrelevant
At WDW you can most 100% use tickets towards AP renewal and AP purchase
Even now, in this current status
Not purchase mind you, not current, but renewal 100% can. I have. Others have.
You can't do this on the website but you can do it on the phone and in person.
At purchase you can do it yourself right on the app using an existing ticket. It gives you the option right on the app. I helped my friend buy hers, so I've done it. When AP sales resume this will resume also
If you use your unused ticket or ticket portion to upgrade to AP (or renew currently) do you know if it blanks out your park reservations and other activities?

Thank you very much. Good corrections. I will go ahead and delete so I do not add to the confusion.

Sorry to dump so much info in one comment! WDW and DLR just function so differently ticket and pass wise and I know it can be confusing if one is used to one version over the other.

Ok. Still seeking a clarification. In February 2022, I asked a CM on the passholder phone line if I could upgrade from a Pixie to an Incredi-Pass. She said yes at renewal or yes when the Incredi-Pass went on sale again before renewal.

So, I am not talking about upgrading from a partially used ticket here. The upgrade is from Pixie to a higher tier AP.

My question is, if new sales resume at WDW, can I do this in the MDE app? Over the phone? At guest relations in Disney Springs? At a park ticket kiosk?

Second question. I have a Pixie. Someone posted that if I have an annual pass I cannot buy one for me because I cannot have two going at the same time. But are new ones sold as “vouchers.” Online or kiosk only?

Right now, the Pixie is “activated” by guest services at DS, but has not had first use. It still says expiration is “December 31, 2099.” I recall the CM said if the Pixie had a first use then the upgrade would run from the date of the Pixie’s first use. I bought the Pixie in March 2022. Again, no first use yet.

Last edited:
Sorry to dump so much info in one comment! WDW and DLR just function so differently ticket and pass wise and I know it can be confusing if one is used to one version over the other.
No really. No apology. I can handle info rich posts.
Sometimes the DLR processes and WDW processes are different so I have to double check, but it’s all good. Thank you again.

My question is, if new sales resume at WDW, can I do this in the MDE app? Over the phone? At guest relations in Disney Springs? At a park ticket kiosk?
Even when this was allowed, it wasn't possible online, except at renewal. You aren't going to be able to do this online or in the app. You could do it on the phone in the past. But with 27 hours, I guess you're going to a desk!

Even when this was allowed, it wasn't possible online, except at renewal. You aren't going to be able to do this online or in the app. You could do it on the phone in the past. But with 27 hours, I guess you're going to a desk!
I hear you! Wow! That was fast. So, once I see the news, I will jump in the car and head over to WDW.

If you use your unused ticket or ticket portion to upgrade to AP (or renew currently) do you know if it blanks out your park reservations and other activities?
It didn’t for us but you do it so close to the time you use them it likely never has a chance to happen if it would
this has to be done in person in the renewal window
Disney even suggests you buy a ticket to use it to make your park reservation if you need to have something on the books, so to speak. so often you have a trip that falls before your renewal window opens but after your pass expires. means you can’t book reservations without calling AP help desk. If you buy a ticket that you use toward renewal you can
I’ve not found that MDE cares as long as a valid ticket media of some type remains active

What if I abandoned the Pixie outright. Who cares, right? It was only $424 with tax. Would the MDE app allow me to buy the new Incredi-pass?

I am guessing what is stopping me from doing it online is trying to,get some credit out of the Pixie for the cost of the Incredi-Pass. But will the app program prevent the purchase?

What if I abandoned the Pixie outright. Who cares, right? It was only $424 with tax. Would the MDE app allow me to buy the new Incredi-pass?
You can get credentialed as Floridian before you activate your Pixie. That is, you could go to the desk now and make it ready to activate. With no activated passes, this could work with Pirate or whatever, in theory. It's definitely possible to buy day tickets on top of an active AP. Maybe it would work?

Problem with this is that you would then have floating, inactive pixie tickets. Maybe Disney would apply their value to renew your Incredipass next year? Or maybe the incredipass doesn't exist anymore and you have $400 in useless tickets? Or maybe even the Pixie doesn't exist and you're glad you have a spare pixie floating around.

Historically, you could upgrade on the phone. I guess we shall see.

You can get credentialed as Floridian before you activate your Pixie. That is, you could go to the desk now and make it ready to activate. With no activated passes, this could work with Pirate or whatever, in theory. It's definitely possible to buy day tickets on top of an active AP. Maybe it would work?

Problem with this is that you would then have floating, inactive pixie tickets. Maybe Disney would apply their value to renew your Incredipass next year? Or maybe the incredipass doesn't exist anymore and you have $400 in useless tickets? Or maybe even the Pixie doesn't exist and you're glad you have a spare pixie floating around.

Historically, you could upgrade on the phone. I guess we shall see.
Florida credentials are done. Been there. Done that. Checked again at Disney Springs. I had prior passholder accounts too so it was enough proof. My account history here at WDW went back to 1986. At DLR it was 1977.

That is what I was thinking -- use the value at time of renewal for the Incredi-pass.
From the date stamp on Gustin's tweet, the Believe pass lasted 26 hours 26 minutes. Wow!

But, it does raise the distinct possibility that Disney is not waiting for hoards of non-renewals to increase their inventory to resume sales. I thought they would wait until the numbers accrued. But, based on the Believe sell-out, that's not happening.

While I am sure the Gustin's WDW source was acting in good faith saying resumed sales was not anticipated, it could still happen. Maybe that person is not quite close enough to those really "in the know" to have the totally reliable scoop at this point. That kind of decision can turn on a dime.

The stock reaction to Chapek's Q4-2022 remarks may galvanize Chapek to move out. What was it I calculated before -- sales were paused November 21, 2021. So, fast forward to November 21, 2022 plus 30 days (to end of renewal window) = December 21, 2022? I know. I know there are outliers from the metals passes renewals. But they are outliers.

If they have instant tabulations, December 22, 2022 is when they would know which of the character pass series had renewed in the first year. They already know the renewal rate is very high. So, they have been watching. Maybe it will be a "Merry Christmas - sales are open." But, that means a lot of people would be trying to cash in tickets. But, maybe there aren't so many passholder inclined people there during Christmas week because that week was limited to the Incredi-passholders. The timing, numbers and resumption of sales without notice and selling out of Believe so fast are still hard facts to put on the table for consideration.

Oh bother! This means I'm going to have to watch every single day. I'd rather be quilting if I'm not going to Disney.

Prepping us for when they decide to sell WDW APs. Get those fingers loose and nimble! And pack your patience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter