News Round Up 2016

Are they planning on announcing to guests in the parks? Have friends there now that haven't heard about them closing early.

Here at MK, nobody is saying anything

The official notification is being distributed now to all cast. I'm unsure what the procedure is for early closures, but I am guessing they will make an intercom announcement like they do with extended hours

Last edited:
I wish there was a way to know what % of Disney visitors are "regulars" - in my mind these are people that come at least once every two years. I still think regardless of the time of year - the "regulars" make up less than 20% of the park population. Sure - on these boards there are a ton of regulars - but in the real world of Western New York, I know maybe 400 people, and while many of them have been to Disney World once or twice, I only know TWO other families that goes regularly like we do - and one is DVC member.

I am not sure I agree with Locked Out's Logic...you are arguing that more regulars come in October - or at least that it is a high percentage of people. But in the summer / Xmas / Easter groups there are also a TON of regular visitors that this is there standard vacation. I've always felt that regulars make up a small % of the overall demographic.

DVC is indeed a higher % in the fall - simply because the DVC #s are steady - DVC stays 98% occupied all year round - so when their are more people in the parks - the % of DVC is indeed lower. But I factored it out and DVC occupancy makes up only about 5-10 % of the total visitors at any one time. About 2500 "rooms" - average say 5 per room (probably high - but assuming all the 2-bedrooms its reasonable) is 12,500 people - whereas daily attendance averages in the theme parks alone are 148,000. That averages to 8.4% being DVC - but that also assumes everyone staying DVC goes to a park every single day - which probably isn't true - so it's clearly less - probably more like 7 % on average - so saying 5 - 10% across the year is probably right. And since October is no longer really slow - well I think DVC concentrations are probably right around in the middle there at 7-8%.

So that said - there's a awful lot of people there that are having there non-regular vacation. And even if it's your regular vacation I feel bad for them all. It's a lot of money to lose out on.

@smitch425 Please, please be careful on your drive down. Just because you are not going along the coast doesn't mean there won't be bad rain and wind, and it doesn't mean you won't have road issues with evacuations.

12PM HUB update confirms that the parks will close at 5 and remain closed tomorrow

14569554_1770377223234634_1536035295_n.png

Thanks to a friend of mine for the screengrab

Main hurricane thread is reporting that the announcement has been made over the loud speakers, and the website/app are in the process of being updated

Brewings set up shop there by the Dland Hotel during my visit on September 28th and was there through my checkout on the 1st.

The official notification is being distributed now to all cast. I'm unsure what the procedure is for early closures, but I am guessing they will make an intercom announcement like they do with extended hours
The policy is to alert cast first, this is for two reasons. One being so the cast can alert family for transportation or rideout (hey mom parks are closing early and I'm staying for ridout can you bring my ride out bag and a change of clothes?) The other reason is so that way then the PA announcement goes parkwide the cast know what's happening when every guest and their brother starts coming up asking why the parks closing early and how their "vacation is ruined" by this storm, etc.

Just left MK, the only announcement was that a 12:00 event was cancelled. We're heading to the studio's to get a chance to see the great movie ride before they change it.
As to the discussion, this is our first trip since 2008.

Disney's website is updated with the closure info.

ETA: I think the "by 5pm" wording is interesting. Not mincing words that there won't be a leisurely stroll down main street at 5:15.

Attachments

• DISCapture.JPG
    DISCapture.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 33
More in the 30-35 range, but honestly, it really doesn't matter how many times someone has been. I still feel bad for them. People work hard for vacations no matter how often they get to go. This our second trip this year, but we need this vacation. We've had a rough month of finding a kidney issue with my son completely by accident, and he will be having surgery before the end of the year. We have no plans to cancel, even if we arrive and the parks are closed, we'll still be on property as long as they allow us to be there. Hoping to know if we need to assist by bringing in extra water and food for others before heading that way Saturday night. Doing a lot of wishing, hoping and praying today!

I don't disagree with anything you said. I think there is a higher volume of repeats this time of year. The disappointment is more "oh well...this sucks...we have to come back" more than the wide eyed, freaking out type...which is very common at Wdw because of the cost and too high of expectations.

Are they planning on announcing to guests in the parks? Have friends there now that haven't heard about them closing early.

People will be "mildly urged to leave" starting now and then managers and mickey cops will start forcing people at 4 - if needed. my guess based on evacuation plans that have been on the books for decades.

Ummmm.... no? For a lot of reasons.

Wow you are no fun...JK

If you are still there and plan on going to Epcot, or if anyone has common knowledge of it. I saw that Spaceship Earth was not putting the rider pictures into the future scenes. I know this was a few weeks ago but I never saw anyone say that it has been fixed. Was this a temporary thing or are they no longer inserting the rider pics?

Wow you are no fun...JK

If you are still there and plan on going to Epcot, or if anyone has common knowledge of it. I saw that Spaceship Earth was not putting the rider pictures into the future scenes. I know this was a few weeks ago but I never saw anyone say that it has been fixed. Was this a temporary thing or are they no longer inserting the rider pics?

Wasn't functioning as of Friday (9/30) when we rode, but they were handing out paper FPs at the end of the ride to compensate.

People will be "mildly urged to leave" starting now and then managers and mickey cops will start forcing people at 4 - if needed. my guess based on evacuation plans that have been on the books for decades.

Just curious, what time would they need to stop running the attractions if everyone is meant to be out of the park by 5?

Just curious, what time would they need to stop running the attractions if everyone is meant to be out of the park by 5?
Most outdoor attractions will stop when its raining. Indoor ones will probably start closing between 4-5. They are going to want people out. No need for the safety of guests and CMs for them to stay.

Thanks, @skier_pete. We will be taking 75 from Ohio to FL, so hopefully we'll be okay, but we definitely won't do anything stupid. ;)

We drive to WDW often and in bad weather we use radar phone apps to see what we are going into. A couple of years ago we navigated through several tornado watches in GA at night. Found it to be really helpful, that is if you can get a signal. My personal pick is RadarNow, but there are many to choose from. Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter