News Round Up 2016

Have you looked at this year's growth numbers - non-existent. And you know of their users, some are bots (23M admitted of their 271 M users as of 2014 in their admission, so at that time, about 8-10% of their users). It's entirely likely that with practically zero growth, they have actually lost users (and all the miniscule "growth" has been by bots) in 2016...when you can't make money and you stop growing and start shrinking, what value are you?
Ok understandable.

They are preparing though, including closing and canceling events (mnsshp for Thursday has been cancelled officially, and I'm sure Friday isn't far behind)

Cast are running on special shifts, notices are being sent internally on what to do in case of other cancellations.

Just because it's not public, doesn't mean it isn't happening

I've been there, done that...

I know they are preparing and i'm not criticizing that...I'm criticizing the decision not to announce closures as a precaution...which emboldens travelers on vacation.

See...I don't...

This isn't the "once in a lifetime" period of the travel calendar...this is the "addict" part of the calendar.

They'll manage...lots of tears until back in 3 weeks/3 months. It is what it is.

I think they should lock it down now and ease off it luck breaks their way. It's unnecessarily wreckless.

I think this is a faulty assumption. The "once in a lifetime" folks don't know anything about crowd levels, hurricane seasons, or any of it. They know it's Columbus Day and maybe that it's MNSSHP. There are plenty of them being impacted, not just AP holders.

I think this is a faulty assumption. The "once in a lifetime" folks don't know anything about crowd levels, hurricane seasons, or any of it. They know it's Columbus Day and maybe that it's MNSSHP. There are plenty of them being impacted, not just AP holders.

There are exceptions of course...but this time of year tends to be shocked with conventioneers, DVC, fl residents, AP types in higher numbers.

There are exceptions of course...but this time of year tends to be shocked with conventioneers, DVC, fl residents, AP types in higher numbers.
Actually, this time of year is flooded with families on fall break. Many schools in the country, especially the last 3 years, have been flocking to Disney as soon as break begins. We normally arrive on a Friday or Saturday, but due to marching band commitments, we will arrive Sunday mid afternoon.

Actually, this time of year is flooded with families on fall break. Many schools in the country, especially the last 3 years, have been flocking to Disney as soon as break begins. We normally arrive on a Friday or Saturday, but due to marching band commitments, we will arrive Sunday mid afternoon.

And they're all first timers/one trippers?

You're proving my point..."we normally arrive"...October has become a "we always go then" time of year...that's the point.

Still disappointing...but my point was the "wrecking dreams" aspect of this storm is lower than you think.

In September 2012 when the free dining promo was really big...a hurricane would have caused more disappointment. Just an opinion.

Nothing official yet but should have word very soon. Parks are said to close at 5PM tonight and remain closed tomorrow. Universal would follow the same schedule.

...whenever they get around to it...

...I'm sure there was a sales forecast or on-property sales meeting or something that was important :wizard:

And they're all first timers/one trippers?

You're proving my point..."we normally arrive"...October has become a "we always go then" time of year...that's the point.

Still disappointing...but my point was the "wrecking dreams" aspect of this storm is lower than you think.

In September 2012 when the free dining promo was really big...a hurricane would have caused more disappointment. Just an opinion.
We've always had a fall break, so we've been regulars (and AP holders), but I know several families (including my sister's) that are going for the first time this week. Many have canceled or delayed their arrival, and many who are already there trying to get out.

Makes me wonder what crowds are going to be like next week - imagine many people are going to be canceling. Don't think it will affect my trip which starts on the 15th, but I think anyone that ends up going down for the week of the 10th will actually end up with the parks very quiet.

We've always had a fall break, so we've been regulars (and AP holders), but I know several families (including my sister's) that are going for the first time this week. Many have canceled or delayed their arrival, and many who are already there trying to get out.

Many? Like 5?

We are looking at this from two completely different angles. "I know people" doesn't equate to the macro approach looking at a 12 month calendar and 55
Million visitors.

October is incredibly crowded...exponentially more than 10, 20 years ago. There's is an extremely high volume of DVC, fl residents, and APs there.

Are they disappointed? Sure...but they've been there many times. The original premise was whether we "feel bad for them"...

Sure I do...but it could be worse if the storm hit in other times of traditional travel for the occasional visitor...not the "regulars".

Many? Like 5?

We are looking at this from two completely different angles. "I know people" doesn't equate to the macro approach looking at a 12 month calendar and 55
Million visitors.

October is incredibly crowded...exponentially more than 10, 20 years ago. There's is an extremely high volume of DVC, fl residents, and APs there.

Are they disappointed? Sure...but they've been there many times. The original premise was whether we "feel bad for them"...

Sure I do...but it could be worse if the storm hit in other times of traditional travel for the occasional visitor...not the "regulars".

More in the 30-35 range, but honestly, it really doesn't matter how many times someone has been. I still feel bad for them. People work hard for vacations no matter how often they get to go. This our second trip this year, but we need this vacation. We've had a rough month of finding a kidney issue with my son completely by accident, and he will be having surgery before the end of the year. We have no plans to cancel, even if we arrive and the parks are closed, we'll still be on property as long as they allow us to be there. Hoping to know if we need to assist by bringing in extra water and food for others before heading that way Saturday night. Doing a lot of wishing, hoping and praying today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter